Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Misticblade7's Construction Log

Go down 
+4
ectrimble20
Commander Error
The Schmetterling
Misticblade7
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
ACH0225
General
General
ACH0225

Misticblade7's Construction Log - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Misticblade7's Construction Log   Misticblade7's Construction Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 7:22 pm

TheLordofError wrote:
ectrimble20 wrote:
Dr. Mackeroth wrote:
ectrimble20 wrote:
I just like pictures, I can't design a space ship to save my life, I just make giant rectangles to prove points about scale and size.
You see what I mean?

Well, just to prove my point, I updated to 1.0.1 to get the flat map generator and build a quick ship. It looks like pooh, some one else needs to build ships for me. I'll go dig holes or something for resources. Although I had lots of fun with the new spawn eggs, I built a giant wall of TNT, then spawned a butt load of villagers in it, then set it off, no more villagers! woo! I love TNT.

So, you mine to stuff, the other 3 guys up top build you a cruiser. Total cost including time and expenses: $0

Well, im building an amazotastimagical ship. Its big, and barely built, but there will be pictures eventually.
Back to top Go down
Misticblade7

PostSubject: Re: Misticblade7's Construction Log   Misticblade7's Construction Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 23, 2012 6:59 pm

I'm back from Hiatus; I'm bored; I'm gonna do some stuff.

Last edited by Misticblade7 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Misticblade7

PostSubject: Some thoughts on Ship Theory   Misticblade7's Construction Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 23, 2012 11:43 pm

I've been thinking about this a bit...

For smaller ships, it might well be an effective strategy to create many different classes (not Futurecraft code stuff, but simple identifiers used by players to classify their own ships) of vessels capable of efficiently performing a single basic role. Generally, these smaller ships (most likely fewer than 3000 blocks each) wouldn't have a whole lot of versatility or reliability if left to their own devices, but having a small ship capable of resupplying fighters, or of quickly transporting some cargo/personnel from one larger craft to the next could be an indispensable tool for any fleet's arsenal.

Some types of single-purpose smaller craft might be fighter deployers, cargo haulers, turret-spammers, escape vessels (for when you need to escape, but a friendly vessel is nearby for you to fly off to), etc.

The shape of smaller vessels would appear kind of lame (for the most part) if the shape were too simple, like a big circle or a rectangle. Given the small scale of these ships, most players will be able to easily create fairly distinct outward appearances for their crafts.

For larger vessels, however, it becomes more difficult for an inexperienced builder to create an appealing exterior for their ship. In these cases, given the size of the ship, a simpler shape for an exterior might be more acceptable. A large circular battle cruiser, with a few extrusions for a bit more functionality and character, could be a very versatile tool capable of easily holding a hangar or two as well as many, many chambers for any use a captain could conjure.

The ideal primary purpose of the larger spaceships should be the deploying of the smaller, specialized craft. A large, menacing battle cruiser would discourage enemy attack without proper backup, and would provide a more than adequate resupplying point for the smaller ships.

That gives a pretty good idea of my future plans for ship design. I will create many prototypes of these small, specialized spacecraft, as well as a (few?) larger ships to assist them in conquering the universe. Now, obviously, to assist in any real combat situation, I'll need to come up with designs for more intermediary craft to protect the weaker specialized ships from stronger enemy fire.

Alright, that's a random jumble of my thoughts. I'm gonna design a few of those small craft now.
Back to top Go down
Misticblade7

PostSubject: Re: Misticblade7's Construction Log   Misticblade7's Construction Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2012 7:58 pm

Added pictures of a basic version of the new SC-1 "Turtle".

EDIT: Turtle is unsuited for deploying planes from Flan's Mod. Smile
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PostSubject: Re: Misticblade7's Construction Log   Misticblade7's Construction Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 2:13 am

What SC stands for ?
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: Misticblade7's Construction Log   Misticblade7's Construction Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 3:19 am

I have a problem with my latest ship....

It is only battle-cruiser size (using the old measurements), but is designed to store 8 fighters, a shuttle, and has a great deal of powerful lasers (which actually work). It sort of doesn't have a role, it works as a small carrier, an attack vessel, and is large enough to carry out independent missions.
Back to top Go down
Misticblade7

PostSubject: Re: Misticblade7's Construction Log   Misticblade7's Construction Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 3:55 pm

Iv121 wrote:
What SC stands for ?

Service Craft. Basically any small craft whose purpose is not direct combat.
Back to top Go down
Misticblade7

PostSubject: Re: Misticblade7's Construction Log   Misticblade7's Construction Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 3:59 pm

Mackeroth? wrote:

It is only battle-cruiser size (using the old measurements), but is designed to store 8 fighters, a shuttle, and has a great deal of powerful lasers (which actually work). It sort of doesn't have a role, it works as a small carrier, an attack vessel, and is large enough to carry out independent missions.

Well, for a ship of that size, it should be alright, as long as it more often than not has a small fleet of defenders.

On a side note, I must fine-tune the Turtle. It needs... stuff.
Back to top Go down
Postronicman

PostSubject: Re: Misticblade7's Construction Log   Misticblade7's Construction Log - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 5:08 pm

Misticblade7 wrote:
Mackeroth? wrote:

Well, for a ship of that size, it should be alright, as long as it more often than not has a small fleet of defenders.
Building onto the idea of a "small fleet", it would seem as if a BC would serve as a good command ship, being able to coordinate other ships which would cover for any weaknesses that the BC has. In addition, the high-power lasers combined with fighters would make it a good contender for combat in an asteroid field, or to provide cover fire for smaller ships/dropships.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Misticblade7's Construction Log   Misticblade7's Construction Log - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Misticblade7's Construction Log
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Futurecraft Forums :: General Area :: Ship Design Area-
Jump to: