Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Carbon Nanotubes

Go down 
+13
Keon
Tiel+
Shiva
Ivan2006
Richard_cypher
Captain stufuzzycat
fr0stbyte124
Caramell
Avenger_7
Grand Imperial Thunder
torrentialAberration
Hierarch Fenway
GLaDOS
17 posters

Are SPACEVATORS a good question?
HECK YA!
Carbon Nanotubes Vote_lcap47%Carbon Nanotubes Vote_rcap
 47% [ 14 ]
No. I'm not good at making choices.
Carbon Nanotubes Vote_lcap20%Carbon Nanotubes Vote_rcap
 20% [ 6 ]
ALL HAIL THE DOCTOR!
Carbon Nanotubes Vote_lcap33%Carbon Nanotubes Vote_rcap
 33% [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 30

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
GLaDOS
Infantry
Infantry
GLaDOS

Carbon Nanotubes Empty
PostSubject: Carbon Nanotubes   Carbon Nanotubes Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 9:37 pm

I propose (oohhh, fancy wording) that Futurecraft has carbon nanotubes. They wouldn't be useful as ship parts, but they would find their use in space elevators (or SPACEVATORS!) that would have to be manufactured in orbit, and dropped into the ground like a Rod From God ( I call that as a band name). After that you can ride it to and from space, and it would be cheaper (in the long run) then constantly using dropships to ferry troops and supplies. You could also use it as a giant power cable as well a a elevator, making fusion reactors in space and ferrying the power back to your city on the planet's surface.

EDIT: Oh and by the way, just as a extra, here's a picture of a nanotube at the molecular level!
CARBON
Back to top Go down
https://futurecraft.forumotion.com
Hierarch Fenway
DEV
DEV
Hierarch Fenway

Carbon Nanotubes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon Nanotubes   Carbon Nanotubes Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 10:40 pm

I've heard of this magical matter, carbon.

And Carbon Nanotubes... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Ideas.............................................................................................

Hullwork! The nano-tubes are extremely strong and flexible, i presume, and would make perfect hulling and cushioning material.
Back to top Go down
torrentialAberration
Infantry
Infantry
torrentialAberration

Carbon Nanotubes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon Nanotubes   Carbon Nanotubes Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 10:57 pm

Nanotubes and other fullerences could be used to make many things. The molecular structure is extremely strong, so a structure such as a space elevator or umbilical link made of these could easily (theoretically, at least) withstand the stresses of anchorage.
Back to top Go down
Grand Imperial Thunder
Infantry
Infantry

Carbon Nanotubes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon Nanotubes   Carbon Nanotubes Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 12:20 pm

You can use carbon nano tubes for mega-epic batteries o' power too! Seriously though they can store a lot of energy apparently.
Back to top Go down
Avenger_7
Sergeant
Sergeant
Avenger_7

Carbon Nanotubes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon Nanotubes   Carbon Nanotubes Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 2:37 pm

I refuse to answer that ridiculous poll.
Back to top Go down
Caramell
Sergeant
Sergeant
Caramell

Carbon Nanotubes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon Nanotubes   Carbon Nanotubes Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 2:48 pm

The best part with using carbon materials is that it's easy to get the materials: It's coal!
And we should be able to use charcoal as well!
That means we can just chop down a forest or two, leave the furnaces on for a few days, and voila, here's your carbon, now start building that elevator.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

Carbon Nanotubes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon Nanotubes   Carbon Nanotubes Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 5:28 pm

Carbon nanotubes will be craftable on an extra tiny workbench.
Back to top Go down
Captain stufuzzycat
Sergeant
Sergeant
Captain stufuzzycat

Carbon Nanotubes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon Nanotubes   Carbon Nanotubes Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 6:32 pm

Lol.
Back to top Go down

Carbon Nanotubes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon Nanotubes   Carbon Nanotubes Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 3:12 pm

This definitely should be added.
Back to top Go down
GLaDOS
Infantry
Infantry
GLaDOS

Carbon Nanotubes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon Nanotubes   Carbon Nanotubes Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 3:48 pm

catsonmeth wrote:
Nanotubes and other fullerences could be used to make many things. The molecular structure is extremely strong, so a structure such as a space elevator or umbilical link made of these could easily (theoretically, at least) withstand the stresses of anchorage.

I didn't want too use them as hulls because they would a bit OP for being so strong and easy to make. I mean, carbon is in nearly everything, and once you have the technology, it would be easy to extract.
Back to top Go down
Richard_cypher
Richard_cypher

Carbon Nanotubes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon Nanotubes   Carbon Nanotubes Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 11:06 pm

Love the idea of carbon nano tubes. I won't bother repeating what has already been said already. We know they are super efficient.

I do have one bone to pick though:
GLaDOS wrote:
You could also use it as a giant power cable as well a a elevator, making fusion reactors in space and ferrying the power back to your city on the planet's surface.

So you want to put a fusion reactor in space... above a major populated area... Two words. Rocket and fallout. I don't think there will be any fallout in minecraft so this really wont be a big deal but the possibility still exists. Putting that kind of device in space would be the equivalent of putting a nice big bulls eye for all your enemies.

I know this was just a hypothetical scenario, but i just needed to put my two cents out there and sound important. Thanks for listening to my rant.
Back to top Go down
Ivan2006
General
General
Ivan2006

Carbon Nanotubes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon Nanotubes   Carbon Nanotubes Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2012 5:14 am

Richard_cypher wrote:
Love the idea of carbon nano tubes. I won't bother repeating what has already been said already. We know they are super efficient.

GLaDOS wrote:
You could also use it as a giant power cable as well a a elevator, making fusion reactors in space and ferrying the power back to your city on the planet's surface.

So you want to put a fusion reactor in space... above a major populated area... Two words. Rocket and fallout. I don't think there will be any fallout in minecraft so this really wont be a big deal but the possibility still exists. Putting that kind of device in space would be the equivalent of putting a nice big bulls eye for all your enemies.

I know this was just a hypothetical scenario, but i just needed to put my two cents out there and sound important. Thanks for listening to my rant.

You do realize that, if you put your fusion reactors above the major earth magnetic field the fallout won´t reach the surface?
Back to top Go down
Shiva
Admin
Shiva

Carbon Nanotubes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon Nanotubes   Carbon Nanotubes Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2012 10:15 am

Richard_cypher wrote:

GLaDOS wrote:

You also realize that fusion reactors don't HAVE fallout... right? They use common hydrogen as fuel, not uranium/plutonium.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Tiel+

Carbon Nanotubes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon Nanotubes   Carbon Nanotubes Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2012 11:11 am

Yes.
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

Carbon Nanotubes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon Nanotubes   Carbon Nanotubes Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2012 6:37 pm

Shiva wrote:
Richard_cypher wrote:

GLaDOS wrote:

You also realize that fusion reactors don't HAVE fallout... right? They use common hydrogen as fuel, not uranium/plutonium.

Blowing one up would still make a bang, just a supernova style one.
Back to top Go down
Hierarch Fenway
DEV
DEV
Hierarch Fenway

Carbon Nanotubes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon Nanotubes   Carbon Nanotubes Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2012 9:33 pm

Do you know how NeoRome gets by then? MASSIVE Super-Reactor in the center of the planet, exposed to space. If a sufficiantly large amount of Super-Dreadnaughts barreled into it at the same time, sure it might explode. But shields, and the fact that it acts like a mini star. Vaporised before entry.
Back to top Go down
eazymc
DEV
DEV

Carbon Nanotubes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon Nanotubes   Carbon Nanotubes Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2012 10:51 pm

what does a giant reactor have to do with nano tubes? By it's very nature the term nano means 1 Billionth, then you have a tube. So you're telling me you want to make a tube that is one billionth of a tube? Or a tube that is 1 nano in size? Which a nano isn't technically a unit of measurement, it has to be attached to something to make it a measurement and a tube, well that's not a unit of measurement at all. So I'll assume you want a tube that is 1 nano-meter. You do realize that that would be smaller than the tip of a sharpened pencils lead? I mean, a human hair is like 50-100k nano meters. You'd have to have like a septillion of those things to do anything at all besides look weird with all your little tubes.

Anyway, that's my fill of sarcastic science humor for tonight Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Richard_cypher
Richard_cypher

Carbon Nanotubes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon Nanotubes   Carbon Nanotubes Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2012 11:23 pm

Yah, i wasn't entirely sure that they would have fallout. Still a pretty nice target as it would be by something important.
Back to top Go down
lukas_schjodt
lukas_schjodt

Carbon Nanotubes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon Nanotubes   Carbon Nanotubes Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2012 8:41 am

eazymc wrote:
what does a giant reactor have to do with nano tubes? By it's very nature the term nano means 1 Billionth, then you have a tube. So you're telling me you want to make a tube that is one billionth of a tube? Or a tube that is 1 nano in size? Which a nano isn't technically a unit of measurement, it has to be attached to something to make it a measurement and a tube, well that's not a unit of measurement at all. So I'll assume you want a tube that is 1 nano-meter. You do realize that that would be smaller than the tip of a sharpened pencils lead? I mean, a human hair is like 50-100k nano meters. You'd have to have like a septillion of those things to do anything at all besides look weird with all your little tubes.

search carbon nano tubes. they have been invented.
Back to top Go down
Ivan2006
General
General
Ivan2006

Carbon Nanotubes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon Nanotubes   Carbon Nanotubes Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2012 1:00 pm

lukas_schjodt wrote:
eazymc wrote:

and you qit necroing stuff.
Back to top Go down
torrentialAberration
Infantry
Infantry
torrentialAberration

Carbon Nanotubes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon Nanotubes   Carbon Nanotubes Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2012 6:06 pm

lukas_schjodt wrote:

Necroderp: We all know this.
Back to top Go down
Thel Vadam
Thel Vadam

Carbon Nanotubes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon Nanotubes   Carbon Nanotubes Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2012 6:50 pm

As everyone else has already stated, nano tubes are a great idea...
Back to top Go down
http://morphorum.forumotion.com/u9
Hierarch Fenway
DEV
DEV
Hierarch Fenway

Carbon Nanotubes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon Nanotubes   Carbon Nanotubes Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2012 10:44 pm

What will we use them for? Seriously, Space Elevators will not be in the mod. Mini gun barrels...

Although I DO admit a gatling gun that shoots 10,000 mini-bullets per millisecond through nano-tubes would be cool, it has no practical value.

NO MORE NECROS
Back to top Go down
torrentialAberration
Infantry
Infantry
torrentialAberration

Carbon Nanotubes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon Nanotubes   Carbon Nanotubes Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2012 11:05 pm

Professor Fenway wrote:
What will we use them for? Seriously, Space Elevators will not be in the mod. Mini gun barrels...

Although I DO admit a gatling gun that shoots 10,000 mini-bullets per millisecond through nano-tubes would be cool, it has no practical value.

NO MORE NECROS

Flexible armor, they are very good for storing or conducting electricity, spacecraft hulls, tethers and umbilicals, hardpoints, thermal weapon insulation and cooling, anything that withstands huge amounts of stress in a small space. I really don't see how shooting projectiles through nanotubes would work...
Back to top Go down
ACH0225
General
General
ACH0225

Carbon Nanotubes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon Nanotubes   Carbon Nanotubes Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2012 11:07 pm

Prothstetic pinfeathers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Carbon Nanotubes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbon Nanotubes   Carbon Nanotubes Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Carbon Nanotubes
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Futurecraft Forums :: Development :: Idea Center-
Jump to: