Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Ship Names

Go down 
+10
blockman42
Keon
Hierarch Fenway
Commander Error
Tiel+
The Schmetterling
Iv121
Caramell
Ivan2006
Last_Jedi_Standing
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Is this a good idea?
Yes
Ship Names - Page 2 Vote_lcap71%Ship Names - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 71% [ 12 ]
No
Ship Names - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Ship Names - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Parts of it (Please post)
Ship Names - Page 2 Vote_lcap18%Ship Names - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 18% [ 3 ]
I didn't read it because I have a short attention span
Ship Names - Page 2 Vote_lcap6%Ship Names - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 6% [ 1 ]
I didn't read it because I'm functionally illiterate
Ship Names - Page 2 Vote_lcap5%Ship Names - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 5% [ 1 ]
I didn't read it because I was laughing too hard at your poll questions
 0% [ 0 ]
What's a ship?
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 17

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

Ship Names - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship Names   Ship Names - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 9:38 am

LJS Kiss My Ass was an example that was chosen specifically because it wasn't too bad to write on the forum.

And you guys need to read the Ship Classes bit again. I've already got all that.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Ship Names   Ship Names - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 9:44 am

I thought you said the..

Hmm. It may be due to my simplemindedness but this thread is getting increasingly confusing for an uncomplicated feature such like ship names.
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Ship Names   Ship Names - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 10:20 am

catsonmeth wrote:
Also, ship classes. Not frigate, destroyer, cruiser, etc; but like a Nimitz-class carrier. A person should be able to name each ship, even if it was a copy of another one. The class could be displayed below the name. For example: Prototype is "TSRFM-b-Inductor" copy would be "TSRFM-b-Carnifex" (below that: "(Inductor Class)")
Right. The example I used was Taris-class light cruiser, but it could be Kuat-class carrier, or Slashing Fang-class interceptor, or whatever you wanted.

Iv121 wrote:
I have a nice way to solve it - why not both ? For example the UTD Hyperion is basically the name of the ship production line. It may have a Atreus Hyperion-class destroyer . This way you won't have to name each individual ship but instead each model. Want to give each ship a name ? Go ahead ! Don't want to ? Give it a number or stuff.
I'm not sure I understand this. Is Atreus Hyperion-class destroyer a Hyperion-class destroyer, one of many, and this particular one is called the Atreus?

I don't know what you mean by "you won't have to name each individual ship but instead each model". You wouldn't have to name a ship if you didn't want to, although I guess the way you would do that would be to set the name to a blank. There will probably need to be something there. But ships already have numbers. If you had more ships than you had good names, you could set the ship's name to be identical to it's number, or if it was a Mandalore-class dreadnaught you could call it Mandalore-78 or whatever.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: Ship Names   Ship Names - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 10:31 am

Ship names will be automatically assigned from a list of the top 200 baby names for 2012.

My flagship will be named Harper. Apparently that's a people name now.
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

PostSubject: Re: Ship Names   Ship Names - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 11:55 am

fr0stbyte124 wrote:
Ship names will be automatically assigned from a list of the top 200 baby names for 2012.

Win.

So my flagship is... Liam.

Nope.
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PostSubject: Re: Ship Names   Ship Names - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 12:49 pm

Prophet of Regret wrote:

Iv121 wrote:
I have a nice way to solve it - why not both ? For example the UTD Hyperion is basically the name of the ship production line. It may have a Atreus Hyperion-class destroyer . This way you won't have to name each individual ship but instead each model. Want to give each ship a name ? Go ahead ! Don't want to ? Give it a number or stuff.
I'm not sure I understand this. Is Atreus Hyperion-class destroyer a Hyperion-class destroyer, one of many, and this particular one is called the Atreus?

I don't know what you mean by "you won't have to name each individual ship but instead each model". You wouldn't have to name a ship if you didn't want to, although I guess the way you would do that would be to set the name to a blank. There will probably need to be something there. But ships already have numbers. If you had more ships than you had good names, you could set the ship's name to be identical to it's number, or if it was a Mandalore-class dreadnaught you could call it Mandalore-78 or whatever.

You got it right, UTD Atreus or UTD Hyperion-12 . A model name is a must though because flying on ships with blank names will make people confused ...

" Sir we have an incoming class cruiser on our sensors "
" I didn't hear which class ? "
"Class "
"Huh ? Can you say it again ? "
"Class "
"You mean a class class cruiser ? "
"No, class"
" A what class ? "
" No class ! "

.... lol!

Back to top Go down
Ivan2006
General
General
Ivan2006

PostSubject: Re: Ship Names   Ship Names - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 12:51 pm

Keon wrote:
fr0stbyte124 wrote:

Win.

So my flagship is... Liam.

Nope.

Keon is right, fr0st.
You can´t just make random names.
I mean, don´t you think everyone needs to be able to name his/her ships by him/herself?
Altough I think you were more or less trolling, fr0st,...
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Ship Names   Ship Names - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 1:26 pm

Iv121 wrote:
Prophet of Regret wrote:

Iv121 wrote:

You got it right, UTD Atreus or UTD Hyperion-12 . A model name is a must though because flying on ships with blank names will make people confused ...

" Sir we have an incoming class cruiser on our sensors "
" I didn't hear which class ? "
"Class "
"Huh ? Can you say it again ? "
"Class "
"You mean a class class cruiser ? "
"No, class"
" A what class ? "
" No class ! "

.... lol!

I understand what you're saying, and I think you're right, but it may not always work out. There's not much point establishing a class and everything if there's only ever going to be one.
Back to top Go down
Caramell
Sergeant
Sergeant
Caramell

PostSubject: Re: Ship Names   Ship Names - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 1:30 pm

I suggest that the first captain of the ship get to choose the name. Untill then, it's nameless.
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PostSubject: Re: Ship Names   Ship Names - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 2:20 pm

Prophet of Regret wrote:

I understand what you're saying, and I think you're right, but it may not always work out. There's not much point establishing a class and everything if there's only ever going to be one.[/quote]

Why not ? Just in case there is only one they will share the same name. If they both share the same name it's like you only gave one name.
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Ship Names   Ship Names - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 8:41 pm

Iv121 wrote:
Prophet of Regret wrote:

I understand what you're saying, and I think you're right, but it may not always work out. There's not much point establishing a class and everything if there's only ever going to be one.

Why not ? Just in case there is only one they will share the same name. If they both share the same name it's like you only gave one name.
So...
FCE Banhammer
Banhammer-class dreadnaught

The redundancy there is redundant.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Ship Names   Ship Names - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 8:45 pm

So? For those ships that are mass produced it'll be much more convenient to simply identify them by their initial name.
Back to top Go down
Delta
Sergeant
Sergeant
Delta

PostSubject: Re: Ship Names   Ship Names - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 8:57 pm

Tiel wrote:
So? For those ships that are mass produced it'll be much more convenient to simply identify them by their initial name.

+1
Like my Dash-class. I mean how am I going to name >50 of those?

Last edited by arsln100 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://arsln100.forumotion.com
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Ship Names   Ship Names - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 9:06 pm

arsln100 wrote:
Tiel wrote:

Like my Dash-class. I mean how am I going to name >50 of those?
Like I said above, you could call them Dash-1 through Dash-50, or you could just use the ship's number.
Back to top Go down
torrentialAberration
Infantry
Infantry
torrentialAberration

PostSubject: Re: Ship Names   Ship Names - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 9:15 pm

The first ship will not have a class, only the ones that are made after. It is optional to name a copy, but for large ships one probably should. Smaller ships, like shuttles and heavy fighters would not need a name and be titled by the class (like an F/A-18 Hornet). These names should be fixed.
Back to top Go down
Delta
Sergeant
Sergeant
Delta

PostSubject: Re: Ship Names   Ship Names - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 9:18 pm

catsonmeth wrote:
The first ship will not have a class, only the ones that are made after. It is optional to name a copy, but for large ships one probably should. Smaller ships, like shuttles and heavy fighters would not need a name and be titled by the class (like an F/A-18 Hornet). These names should be fixed.

A better explained version of what Tiel said (or at least from what I understood). +1
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Ship Names   Ship Names - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 9:25 pm

catsonmeth wrote:
I think you should be able to choose whether you wanted the ship to have a class or not. I mean, maybe you do want your flagship to have a class, just for kicks. You should be able to. Likewise, if you really disliked classes, you should be able to not have them (or at least set it to blanks). I agree with the shuttles/fighters, although like the classes, they should have names if you want them to (Green Leader, Green Eight, etc, or just a name. Shuttle Tyridium requesting landing clearance).
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Ship Names   Ship Names - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 10:16 pm

Okay. For ships.

I'll go off my idea for factions, so forgive me. When you make a ship and you're in a faction, it then registers that craft with it. The way the server would identify these would be by having the first character of a faction's name + the respective number of the ship based on how many craft are in the faction to begin with.

If I founded a faction called Taln and then went to register my ship with it, the ship ID would be T1, since it would be the first ship and T is the first letter of 'Taln', of course. This ship ID would go to a maximum of 4 characters, so a max of 99 ships per faction. I know some of you will moan and groan about how you want massive fleets, but let's be realistic - do you honestly think Minecraft can handle that? Even with fr0st's new code it's still a glitchy little bugger at best, so keep it low and safe. This also means factions can only support 99 members each, which is reasonable seeing as the average server receives around 30 in regular MC, boost that up and we have around 60 per Futurecraft server, whom will be split into several factions anyhow.

Anyhow, you're probably thinking "Well, that's only 26 letters, dumbass! We're going to have more than 27!" Basically for each additional faction with the same character for a name, the system adds two new sets of numerals after the letter, up to 99 factions can have the same lettered title.

For example, I could be a relative newbie to Nuon Corp and have a ship ID of N95 Whisper. I might come across someone with a ship ID of N1142 Reprisal, where they own the 42nd ship of the faction which is the 11th to start with N.

For people who aren't part of a faction (Which should be terribly, terribly rare) they will be assigned just a number up to 4 digits. So, being generous, a relative noob to Futurecraft could have a ship ID of 1146 Vengeance. Once they join another faction

Anyway, on to names. Now that we have that basic framework in place where the ship registers with the FMS and receives an ID based on their faction, or lack thereof, names can then be brought into the question.

Essentially, when someone makes a Corvette or anything higher, when they're in the shipyard and load up their schematic (which will probably be compiled via an outside editor and then sent to the server through the client), it's sent to the FMS to check for plagiarism (a process consisting of checking against other schematics registered.) If over 80% of the blocks are identical to another in the database, the soon owner of this ship checks out with his personal name for the ship, but the class retains the maiden name, ie. Fortune class Frigate, which is put into the 'details', if you will. As you can probably guess, when the ship is found to be original, the ship you create through the shipyard and materials is registered as a 'maiden' ship, that is, the schematic is submitted to the FMS's database and all ships with similar blocks, of course, retain the name you gave the maiden ship as part of the class name.

Now, as far as classes go, this would consist of the 'core' system agreed on, where a particular tier of a 'core' block allows a increasing numbers of other blocks to be converted to entities and thus become a ship. A classification would be tied to each tier of core, so a Corvette core through Dreadnought core. When your ship is registered, the core inherent in the schematic is noted and becomes part of the 'details' that are part of your ship's description.

So in this manner, when I go to make a Proponent frigate, I could end up with a

T567 Redemption
Proponent class Frigate

As far as fighters go, small ships will merely be universal entities, think that was established a thread back. These small ships would be classified as follows universally:

Interceptor: Their high speed allows them to hunt down bombers extremely effectively.
Fighter: Evenly armed and armoured, fighters are typically fast enough to put the hurt on interceptors, but their bulk makes them a plump target for a bombers aft defensive turrets.
Bomber: Slow and quite heavy, bombers are designed to crush enemy ships with massive payloads of warheads. While worthless in a dogfight, they are veritable warships in their own right with many defensive cannons stationed around it to allow a 360 degree field of fire. However, these turrets oftentimes suffer targeting issues when attempting to track vessels going over a certain speed.

These all look the same, basically, and their names are just that, no special IDs or anything. These baseline starfighters are cheap to mass produce and typically piloted by AI.

BUT, bigger fighters could be made with blocks and would all be called 'fighter-bombers', as they can mount both conventional railguns and devastating anti-ship bombs & missiles. Basically, these would make mincemeat out of the entity fighters and only be piloted by players, their main foe would be other fighter-bombers and corvettes.

They would also be designed through the external schematic program and then imported, and just like the other ships processed at a shipyard. Unlike the previous process, however, there is no plagiarism check, people can upload whatever they want and name it as they wish, as it is probable that fighter jockeys will be far and in between. Squadrons of them within factions would likely respect the fighter's original name (the designer would probably be one of their own, after all) so no problem there.

I apologize if this has been discussed before in this thread, I just don't understand any of the prior posts at all.

Last edited by Tiel on Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Ship Names   Ship Names - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 10:32 pm

Tiel wrote:
27 letters
AH HA HA HA HAH HA HAH HAH HA HA HA HA HA
Back to top Go down
torrentialAberration
Infantry
Infantry
torrentialAberration

PostSubject: Re: Ship Names   Ship Names - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 12:30 am

Spoiler:

I like most of the ideas you presented in your thing, there, but some I have problems with. I don't like the first letter with the number as an identifier. Here, I made a thing.
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Delta
Sergeant
Sergeant
Delta

PostSubject: Re: Ship Names   Ship Names - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 2:38 am

Okay. If we are all gonna add our ideas to the table count me in!

1: Ship identification:

We will use one of my Valkyries, Alruna, for example. First my faction name is ICE, the faction name is less than 4 letters so it will become the faction tag. the faction name is the full name of your faction. The faction tag is an abbreviated version of your faction name, usually 4 or less letters. The identification number is automatically assigned. The identification number is the chronological labeling of your ship, IE the order in your faction you registered your ship, well use 1701 the 1701st ship in your faction well say 100 ships per person and 5,000 per faction(I know it sounds like a lot but hear(or at least read) me out.). So the vessel would the nameplate for the vessel would be:

ICE-1701
Alruna
Valkyrie Class
arsln100

2: limits

The limiting system is very simple

2,500 corvettes
1,500 frigate/cruisers
950 juggernaughts
50 dreadnaughts

the smaller the vessel the more you can have.

Last edited by arsln100 on Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PostSubject: Re: Ship Names   Ship Names - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 4:20 am

Uh are you planning to start the size rating wars again ? I say screw dreadnaught Juggernauts are enough ! No srsly we already came to conclusion that depend on this is useless.

Now to the matter at hand you cannot just say "In this case you can name a ship in this case leave the name blank", As it will cause confusion and basically problems. No name should be left blank. Plan to make only one ship so yes an Arbiter class Arbiter is just fine and I see no reason why not, it makes perfect sense that if you produce only one ship in a production line it will have the ship of the production line.

Lets decide that we either fully add a place for a name or we don't . We cant start going with ifs all around it is confusing and making it all look bad and untidy.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Ship Names   Ship Names - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 9:11 am

The first ship you make becomes a maiden ship, any schematics matching it inherit the original's name as part of the class. There's absolutely no reason not to do this.

And arlsn, those limits are a bit ridiculous. I think the number of ships should not have artificial limits, but rather be decided by the faction thing itself, hence only 2 places for the ship's number. A max of 99 ships is much more reasonable, fighter-bombers and etc are free from this rule as they don't get names though, so..

Cats, I like that idea you have there. I suppose it shouldn't put too much stress on anything to generate an abbreviation and simply use that, however, I still remain steadfast that the chronological numbering system up to 99 should be used in conjunction with that.

The rest of that is pretty cool though, though I think the whole class selection should be unchangeable, it'd rather be something of a notification that this is what the server recognizes your ship as. As I said above, there really isn't a reason not to do that. If there's only one ship of a class, power to you, it's a Banhammer class Dreadnought named the Banhammer. This is how it is in real life, this is how it should be in Futurecraft.

Aside from that, my only beef with your post is 'Battleship'. You don't need Battleships if you have Battlecruisers. And Iv..well.

Maybe Jedi can put up another poll as to what ship type is each core?
Back to top Go down
ACH0225
General
General
ACH0225

PostSubject: Re: Ship Names   Ship Names - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 11:00 am

I think there should be lines separating things in your system, Tiel.
T-32 for Tien's 32 ship and T-11-32 for the 11th faction, Tien, 32 ship.
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Ship Names   Ship Names - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 3:32 pm

The problem with autogenerating an acronym is that it wouldn't necessarily do it right. If my faction is Last_Jedi_Standing Industries, the computer would probably make either LAS Ship Name or LJSI Ship Name. Neither of those are what I want.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ship Names   Ship Names - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ship Names
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next