Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Your choice of OS.

Go down 
+12
Avenger_7
Caramell
Grand Imperial Thunder
hyperlite
Delta
Ivan2006
blockman42
Keon
Hierarch Fenway
Tell
The Schmetterling
Tiel+
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Tiel+
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Tiel+

Your choice of OS. Empty
PostSubject: Your choice of OS.   Your choice of OS. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 7:50 am

We've had a lot of controversial topics on this forum such as religion and politics, but have yet to discuss perhaps the most inflammatory of them all: one's operating system of choice, or in layman's terms, computers.

Personally I prefer Windows as it's easy to use, compatible with almost everything, is well optimized (Mine boots in mere seconds on an AMD Fusion GPU!), and most importantly, Microsoft distributes it freely as an independent product, which ensures low pricing across the board. Macs, on the other hand, like to advertise how both the OS and the hardware is made by the same company, which somehow justifies and enormous price tag typically over two times what the hardware itself is worth.

One thing that's always confused me is some people will like to say, "Oh, each is best for their own purposes!" which really, really, makes no sense, to me, at least. The only thing that can be called a purpose touted by Mac computers is graphic design, but in reality almost all design applications for the Mac are ported from Windows! Why get the most expensive computer in the world when you can get a PC with the same specs that can do anything, including gaming!
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

Your choice of OS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your choice of OS.   Your choice of OS. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 7:52 am

You can run Windows on a Mac. Can you run a Mac on Windows? No sir!
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

Your choice of OS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your choice of OS.   Your choice of OS. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 7:55 am

But why would you want to run Mac OSX on Windows, lol? psst, you can, google 'hackintosh' ;-)

In any case, you have to buy a copy of Windows to run it on a Mac to begin with, which begs the question as to why you just didn't get a PC in the first place if you're going to shell out 100$ in addition to your 2000$ computer to run the OS, Razz
Back to top Go down
Tell
Recruit
Recruit
Tell

Your choice of OS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your choice of OS.   Your choice of OS. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 7:57 am

Just make a poll (I like PC's)
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

Your choice of OS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your choice of OS.   Your choice of OS. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 7:59 am

You wouldn't buy a Mac just to run Windows. You buy it to run OSX, and the ability to run Windows is just an extra bonus.

And Tiel, pirating is a criminal activity, so don't even mention it.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

Your choice of OS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your choice of OS.   Your choice of OS. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 8:08 am

My point is it is possible to run Mac OSX on a PC, though no one would really want to anyway.

You see, unlike the case of a Mac, PCs do not need an additional OS to do the basic necessities. Macs, however, must purchase a copy of Windows to do a ton of things, or buy an expensive program to emulate a Windows environment. My point here is that there's no reason to buy a Mac if you're just going to end up buying one of the two to do many things.

As far as I can tell, there's nothing too special about OSX, one would be better off buying a Windows-based PC and be able to do anything Wink
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

Your choice of OS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your choice of OS.   Your choice of OS. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 8:11 am

Do anything except have a problem-free time.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

Your choice of OS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your choice of OS.   Your choice of OS. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 8:15 am

The Doctor wrote:
Do anything except have a problem-free time.

Lol, what?

The only people who have problems with Windows as often as you're insinuating are nitwits. And don't try to tell me that OSX doesn't have its own share of glitches that Apple rushes to patch each update, because you and I both know that's false. In addition, the lie Apple has been broadcasting for years about how Macs can't be given viruses was proven wrong a few months back.

So as far as I can tell Windows and OSX are on the same tier as far as bugs are concerned.
Back to top Go down
Hierarch Fenway
DEV
DEV
Hierarch Fenway

Your choice of OS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your choice of OS.   Your choice of OS. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 10:10 am

I use linux for my non- gaming stuff, like browsing internet, mixing music, etc. Linux is the most streamlined OS compared to windows and mac, and that leaves a lot of space and CPU available for other stuff. It's also free! (AKA Ubuntu). Downside is that it is compatible with few programs, since it's not an official OS. Not enough people use it for major developers to make a port for it. MC works on it though!
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

Your choice of OS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your choice of OS.   Your choice of OS. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 10:29 am

I used to love Ubuntu, played MC on it, etc. But there's just like no programs compatible with it, lol. I still keep a partition of it on any computer I can get my hands on simply because it's great for data recovery, and, failing that, a backup OS.
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

Your choice of OS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your choice of OS.   Your choice of OS. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 11:30 am

Penguins. I think Linux just won.
Back to top Go down
blockman42
Sergeant
Sergeant
blockman42

Your choice of OS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your choice of OS.   Your choice of OS. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 12:04 pm

I use a mac for school work and I just order an Alienware for gaming.
Back to top Go down
Ivan2006
General
General
Ivan2006

Your choice of OS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your choice of OS.   Your choice of OS. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 12:05 pm

blockman42 wrote:

You know, Alienware=PC=Windows
Back to top Go down
blockman42
Sergeant
Sergeant
blockman42

Your choice of OS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your choice of OS.   Your choice of OS. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 12:08 pm

Ivan2006 wrote:
blockman42 wrote:

You know, Alienware=PC=Windows

I am entirely aware of that
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

Your choice of OS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your choice of OS.   Your choice of OS. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 12:15 pm

Alienware is just as bad as Apple when it comes to pricing..
Back to top Go down
blockman42
Sergeant
Sergeant
blockman42

Your choice of OS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your choice of OS.   Your choice of OS. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 12:16 pm

Tiel wrote:
Alienware is just as bad as Apple when it comes to pricing..

No, I saved about 1,000 bucks choosing an Alienware.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

Your choice of OS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your choice of OS.   Your choice of OS. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 12:17 pm

What model?
Back to top Go down
blockman42
Sergeant
Sergeant
blockman42

Your choice of OS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your choice of OS.   Your choice of OS. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 12:21 pm

Tiel wrote:
What model?

M14x R2

RAM: 16 gigs

Processor: 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3720QM (6MB Cache, up to 3.6GHz w/ Turbo Boost 2.0)

Hard Drive: 750GB 7,200 RPM SATA + 32GB mSATA Caching SS

Wireless Card: Killer Wireless-N 1202 a/g/n 2x2 MIMO for Gaming & Video and Bluetooth 4.0

Internal Optical Drive: Slot Load Dual Layer Blu-ray Reader (Reads BD and Writes to DVD/CD)

W/ W7 Pro
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

Your choice of OS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your choice of OS.   Your choice of OS. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 12:24 pm

And this ran you..?
Back to top Go down
blockman42
Sergeant
Sergeant
blockman42

Your choice of OS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your choice of OS.   Your choice of OS. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 12:36 pm

Tiel wrote:
And this ran you..?

$2400, a mac would be $3,600.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

Your choice of OS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your choice of OS.   Your choice of OS. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 12:38 pm

So you paid 2400$ for a laptop with no graphics card..?
Back to top Go down
blockman42
Sergeant
Sergeant
blockman42

Your choice of OS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your choice of OS.   Your choice of OS. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 12:39 pm

Graphics card: 2 GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 650M with Optimus™
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

Your choice of OS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your choice of OS.   Your choice of OS. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 12:41 pm

That's outrageous.

A Clevo W110er has pretty much the same specs except it's an i5 Ivy Bridge, smaller screen, and half the RAM for only 980. You got ripped off brah.
Back to top Go down
blockman42
Sergeant
Sergeant
blockman42

Your choice of OS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your choice of OS.   Your choice of OS. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 12:52 pm

Tiel wrote:
That's outrageous.

A Clevo W110er has pretty much the same specs except it's an i5 Ivy Bridge, smaller screen, and half the RAM for only 980. You got ripped off brah.

how big is the screen?
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

Your choice of OS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your choice of OS.   Your choice of OS. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 12:56 pm

It's an HD 11.6 inch screen.

Alienware likes to overcharge people because they can, brand name and all tongue
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Your choice of OS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your choice of OS.   Your choice of OS. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Your choice of OS.
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Futurecraft Forums :: General Area :: Off-Topic Area-
Jump to: