Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Some good programming books.

Go down 
+4
hyperlite
Keon
Iv121
Tiel+
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Keon
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Keon

Some good programming books. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some good programming books.   Some good programming books. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 11:53 am

Tiel wrote:
3d. But as I said, I have most of the assets. All that's left is texturing, when I get to the point where I can actually feasibly take on this project.

You a student?

Get Maya. For free. Under student licence, though that means you can't sell it.
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PostSubject: Re: Some good programming books.   Some good programming books. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 11:58 am

Let's be honest do they have a way to find out if he sold it with student license ? Smile
If he saves it as a global mesh format they can't even prove he used maya, and I doubt they'd bother.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Some good programming books.   Some good programming books. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 12:16 pm

I've been using 3DS Max for about 2 years now, I'd rather use that.
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

PostSubject: Re: Some good programming books.   Some good programming books. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 12:23 pm

Tiel wrote:
I've been using 3DS Max for about 2 years now, I'd rather use that.

Well, if you have experience, by all means. Just saying if you needed a modeling program.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Some good programming books.   Some good programming books. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 12:42 am

Well, it's basically this or save up for Torque. I was thinking learning to code an engine might be more useful in the long run, but..

Torque just has everything I need..
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PostSubject: Re: Some good programming books.   Some good programming books. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 6:25 am

Torque ? You mean a program ? Do you plan to make games in another program ? You may want to try modding then Smile .
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Some good programming books.   Some good programming books. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 8:52 am

Torque is a premade engine, try googling if you don't know what something is Razz
Back to top Go down
Tau
Infantry
Infantry
Tau

PostSubject: Re: Some good programming books.   Some good programming books. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 2:25 pm

I'm currently learning C++ using "Beginning C++ For Dummies" for $35.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Some good programming books.   Some good programming books. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 8:26 am

Yeah, For Dummies is a great resource, their books are pretty informative.

But I think I'll just join the Unity Razz

It looks like a pretty optimized engine, and the free version has all the features I need. Maybe I'll pick up the books later when I have the time to actually use them to some degree of effectiveness, what with school and all.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: Some good programming books.   Some good programming books. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 9:45 am

Boo, Unity. Build your own engine from scratch.
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PostSubject: Re: Some good programming books.   Some good programming books. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 10:39 am

Yep my thought exactly. You need to learn programming and not some crappy engine .
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Some good programming books.   Some good programming books. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 11:20 am

I don't have the time to build my own engine from scratch. I'd like to, but it's just not feasible right now.

And you shush Iv Razz
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PostSubject: Re: Some good programming books.   Some good programming books. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 11:47 am

You aren't asked to build an engine, but a game.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Some good programming books.   Some good programming books. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 12:12 pm

Games run on engines, Iv. An engine composes the framework a game dev adds his own content on.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Some good programming books.   Some good programming books. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 12:20 pm

And just to add on to that, most of the development process consists of programming an engine for your stuff to go on, just like fr0st is doing so all the other devs can start doing their thang.
Back to top Go down
Shiva
Admin
Shiva

PostSubject: Re: Some good programming books.   Some good programming books. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 1:34 pm

Unity is a good engine. They make KSP on it...
Back to top Go down
https://futurecraft.forumotion.com
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Some good programming books.   Some good programming books. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 1:42 pm

And BSGO Very Happy

Though they used/use the pro version of the software, I tried a demo on the Indie license and it's smooth as a baby's bottom as far as fps is concerned, which is gonna be a must when I have 100+ units onscreen at once in Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds 2.

Also ran across this neato site here.

So I think I'm all set, except if Lucasarts decides some guy peddling off a free Star Wars RTS is infringing on copyright. They've done it before...I should probably send them an email asking for clarification on what exactly the rules are on that..
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PostSubject: Re: Some good programming books.   Some good programming books. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 3:54 pm

MISLEADING BIRD wrote:
Games run on engines, Iv. An engine composes the framework a game dev adds his own content on.

An engine is a set of rules on which the game is based, will they be graphical or gameplay wise, they are still just rules that people make in order to make larger games more easily. If you plan to use this engine alone you probably don't need it because for big projects you lack the manpower while for small projects you don't need this engine.

If you want to use engines for small projects try modding, it's relatively easier yet powerful and enjoyable process .
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Some good programming books.   Some good programming books. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 4:18 pm

Iv121 wrote:
MISLEADING BIRD wrote:

An engine is a set of rules on which the game is based, will they be graphical or gameplay wise, they are still just rules that people make in order to make larger games more easily. If you plan to use this engine alone you probably don't need it because for big projects you lack the manpower while for small projects you don't need this engine.

If you want to use engines for small projects try modding, it's relatively easier yet powerful and enjoyable process .

Iv, the very definition of a game engine is the framework. Even if it's a simple text based adventure game, you're still creating an engine in the process of programming it, it's the code powering the program that comprises the concept of a game engine.

I also am already a modder.
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PostSubject: Re: Some good programming books.   Some good programming books. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2012 12:37 am

You don't make a separate engine for a 10,000 code lines game for example, it is integrated straight into the game code and does not require a separate generic code that applies to many cases. When you plan to make a game of a few million code lines then it makes sense to make a generic framework to work with in order to avoid repeating the same parts all over again.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Some good programming books.   Some good programming books. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2012 6:24 am

Which would be the code itself repeated :/
When you program your game you're creating the engine and content in one fell swoop, though in popular context it's only considered an engine if you re-use your base code. But nonetheless, you're making the basic framework for the game in the development process, ergo, you're making an 'engine' that can be re used should the developer so desire.
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PostSubject: Re: Some good programming books.   Some good programming books. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2012 6:59 am

Besides when you make your "engine" on your own you won't have to deal with copyright issues and selling your product will be easier ...
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Some good programming books.   Some good programming books. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2012 7:07 am

My intention is not to make a profit off of this game. Even if I did, Unity's EULA states users are free to sell their games without upgrading to the Pro version of the software.

Unity Indie has everything I need and then some. Besides, coding within it will give me an edge when I find the time to plop down and thoroughly read a programming book.
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

PostSubject: Re: Some good programming books.   Some good programming books. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2012 10:58 am

Tiel's right. Unity is so much better than coding his own 3d graphics, his own controls, his own everything. That way he can focus on the stuff that counts. The one problem I have with Unity is the aliasing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Some good programming books.   Some good programming books. - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Some good programming books.
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Futurecraft Forums :: General Area :: Off-Topic Area-
Jump to: