Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Content pack for Flan's Mod

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

Content pack for Flan's Mod Empty
PostSubject: Content pack for Flan's Mod   Content pack for Flan's Mod Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2012 6:57 pm

I am making a content pack for Flan's Mod called the Complex Parts Pack. It is similar to the Simple Parts Pack, but with more parts and more detail. Example: In the SPP, a Tank Body is crafted with 7 iron ingots, 1 redstone dust, and 1 trapdoor. In my pack, a Tank Chassis is crafted with 6 armor plates, 1 armored window, 1 seat, and 1 hatch. All of those parts have to be crafted separately. In general it makes vehicles much more expensive, but not unreasonably so. The goal is to make the mod a little more challenging and a lot more realistic.

The problem is that it may not play nice with the SPP. My Tank Chassis makes the Tank Body useless, and my Continuous Tracks (made with wheels, gears, and track segments) override his Caterpillar tracks (made with wheels and track pieces), and so on. There are several options:

1. Make it totally override the SPP, but so that tanks that normally use Flan's parts will use mine instead.
Pros: It will be compatible with all content packs, and vehicles will use my parts by default. People can just install the CPP instead of the SPP.
Cons: It will conflict with the SPP. Having them both installed would be bad. Also, I would have to copy heavily from the SPP. All the parts that I don't modify have to be included anyway.

2. Make it totally separate, so it doesn't interact with the SPP at all.
Pros: This really is compatible with everything. Other content pack creators can choose to use my pack or the SPP.
Cons: If you install one content pack that requires the SPP and one that requires the CPP, you'll have some tanks that use Flan's parts and some tanks that use mine. This is also harder for me to do. For example, both the SPP and the CPP add wheels, but we mean different things by them. The SPP wheels are vehicle tires, and are crafted with iron ingots and leather. CPP wheels are just the rims, and are crafted with leather to make tires, which serve the same purpose as the SPP wheels.

There was a third option as well, but I can't remember it at the moment.

I would like to get some opinions on this, as it will greatly affect how the pack is made. It's about ready for the first release, but I need to know how I'm going to deal with this. If you guys can think of any other options, or any reasons to go with/not go with one of the options I have, please tell me. I would especially value Scout's input, as he has worked several with Flan's Mod content packs in the past.

Sorry for the wall of text. I'd appreciate it if you don't TL;DR it, though.
Back to top Go down
hyperlite
Captain
Captain
hyperlite

PostSubject: Re: Content pack for Flan's Mod   Content pack for Flan's Mod Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2012 7:49 pm

You need to make it one or the other, if people can make the same tank cheaper than yours, why use yours?
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Content pack for Flan's Mod   Content pack for Flan's Mod Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2012 8:01 pm

hyperlite wrote:
You need to make it one or the other, if people can make the same tank cheaper than yours, why use yours?
The goal is to make it more challenging. In any case, there shouldn't ever be a way to make the same tank in two different ways.
Back to top Go down
hyperlite
Captain
Captain
hyperlite

PostSubject: Re: Content pack for Flan's Mod   Content pack for Flan's Mod Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2012 8:05 pm

Exactly, but if you made it compatible, with no changed stats, you could make them both the same way. Unless the other tank was disabled.
Back to top Go down
Laibach
General
General
Laibach

PostSubject: Re: Content pack for Flan's Mod   Content pack for Flan's Mod Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2012 8:31 pm

I agree with hyperlite, you should add at least one content pack with really awesome teh haxorx tanks before you release either.

also I think you should just override it, if flan gives you permission, otherwise make it standalone.
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Content pack for Flan's Mod   Content pack for Flan's Mod Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2012 8:40 pm

hyperlite wrote:
Exactly, but if you made it compatible, with no changed stats, you could make them both the same way. Unless the other tank was disabled.

Dayman wrote:
I agree with hyperlite, you should add at least one content pack with really awesome teh haxorx tanks before you release either.

also I think you should just override it, if flan gives you permission, otherwise make it standalone.
You misunderstand. My pack doesn't add any tanks, planes, guns, or anything. It's just parts, like the Simple Parts Pack. It's for other people to use, to make their own content packs easier to create.
Back to top Go down
hyperlite
Captain
Captain
hyperlite

PostSubject: Re: Content pack for Flan's Mod   Content pack for Flan's Mod Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2012 8:41 pm

Okay then...
Back to top Go down
Laibach
General
General
Laibach

PostSubject: Re: Content pack for Flan's Mod   Content pack for Flan's Mod Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2012 9:12 pm

Warmaster Tsavong Lah wrote:
hyperlite wrote:

Dayman wrote:

You misunderstand. My pack doesn't add any tanks, planes, guns, or anything. It's just parts, like the Simple Parts Pack. It's for other people to use, to make their own content packs easier to create.

I know, but I don't see the point in it other than the few people who just want the added challenge, unless you'd add other parts.
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Content pack for Flan's Mod   Content pack for Flan's Mod Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2012 9:20 pm

Dayman wrote:
hyperlite wrote:

Dayman wrote:

I know, but I don't see the point in it other than the few people who just want the added challenge, unless you'd add other parts.
There will be more parts than there are in the Simple Parts Pack. Now, some of those aren't used directly in vehicles. The hatches and armored windows are used only to craft the Tank Chassis. But I've added an anti-aircraft turret that can be mounted on a tank, and a few different types of wheels, and just overall more flexibility for content pack creators to work with. It should be noted that I'm not the first person to make a pack that's nothing but more parts; I'm just the first person (that I know of) to make a pack that would interact with the SPP like this. That's why I need other viewpoints.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Content pack for Flan's Mod   Content pack for Flan's Mod Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2012 10:21 pm

1st option.

If people are really dumb enough to try to install both when you'll likely specifically warn them against doing so they can't really whine about it.
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Content pack for Flan's Mod   Content pack for Flan's Mod Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2012 11:02 pm

Lord Tiel wrote:
1st option.

If people are really dumb enough to try to install both when you'll likely specifically warn them against doing so they can't really whine about it.
That is the one I'm leaning towards. The problem is that it requires me to do some stuff with the files, like make sure all my things are called the same things that Flan's are. I'd have to include lots of stuff that I otherwise wouldn't modify, like the bombs and the fuel. My pack could be used instead of Flan's pack, but not the other way around. That could be problematic. It also means that I have to keep updating with the SPP, although I don't think that's much of an issue.
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Content pack for Flan's Mod   Content pack for Flan's Mod Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 8:58 pm

Wow, three whole people posted here! Anyone else have an opinion?
Back to top Go down
Joel
Marine
Marine
Joel

PostSubject: Re: Content pack for Flan's Mod   Content pack for Flan's Mod Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 10:34 pm

1. Because no time to explain my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Content pack for Flan's Mod   Content pack for Flan's Mod Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2012 10:44 pm

Anyone else? Please?
Back to top Go down
Joel
Marine
Marine
Joel

PostSubject: Re: Content pack for Flan's Mod   Content pack for Flan's Mod Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2012 10:55 pm

NO.

Still NO.

Anyone else? Please? Pretty Please?
Content pack for Flan's Mod Mlfw5663-8845

Last edited by Vinyl Scratch on Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Laibach
General
General
Laibach

PostSubject: Re: Content pack for Flan's Mod   Content pack for Flan's Mod Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 10:50 am

Other than implementing infrastructure to build the thing (like, having to make synthetic materials with more realistic methods) no other opinions, sorry.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Content pack for Flan's Mod   Content pack for Flan's Mod Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Content pack for Flan's Mod
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Futurecraft Forums :: General Area :: Off-Topic Area-
Jump to: