Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!
 
HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Share | 
 

 Escape pod ideas

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Which means of escape?
Escape pods
80%
 80% [ 12 ]
Teleporters
7%
 7% [ 1 ]
Other idea (Comment)
13%
 13% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 15
 

AuthorMessage
Keon
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
avatar

Posts : 3075
Join date : 2012-01-17
Location : Hahahaha.

PostSubject: Re: Escape pod ideas   Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:04 pm

Warmaster Tsavong Lah wrote:
Vinyl Scratch wrote:
Life Bo-ats and escape pods. Maybe tele around inside a ship to get somewhere that would otherwise be a pain to get to using an elevator or just stairs (aux. stairs would be a good idea if the teleporters have malfunctioned somehow).
What good would Life Bo-ats do in space? Do you mean like larger escape pods, or like dropships/corvettes in a hangar that people can escape in? I think having a hangar full of ships is always a good thing, but they shouldn't be only Life Bo-ats. They should just be normal ships, that you could flee in, or fly in combat, or whatever. Multi-person escape pods would be OK. I don't think they're really necessary, but they wouldn't hurt anything.

I can't believe nobodies said this, but what about a hollow MAC projectile? Stand in, fire, get to the other side of the solar system in 10 seconds flat.

_________________
fr0stbyte124 wrote:
You know, I was thinking we should have a 3D crafting grid for complex recipes, but Kielaran is right: why have three dimensions when you can have six? Truly I don't know how we ever got by with a measly two.


Mackeroth? wrote:
Now, if Fr0stbyte wrote that, someone would make a sig, guaranteed. So what are you going to do now?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tiel+
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
avatar

Posts : 5497
Join date : 2012-02-20
Age : 20
Location : AFK

PostSubject: Re: Escape pod ideas   Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:10 pm

Keon wrote:
Warmaster Tsavong Lah wrote:
Vinyl Scratch wrote:
Life Bo-ats and escape pods. Maybe tele around inside a ship to get somewhere that would otherwise be a pain to get to using an elevator or just stairs (aux. stairs would be a good idea if the teleporters have malfunctioned somehow).
What good would Life Bo-ats do in space? Do you mean like larger escape pods, or like dropships/corvettes in a hangar that people can escape in? I think having a hangar full of ships is always a good thing, but they shouldn't be only Life Bo-ats. They should just be normal ships, that you could flee in, or fly in combat, or whatever. Multi-person escape pods would be OK. I don't think they're really necessary, but they wouldn't hurt anything.

I can't believe nobodies said this, but what about a hollow MAC projectile? Stand in, fire, get to the other side of the solar system in 10 seconds flat.

I don't know the exact term, but I read in the battle of Trafalgar that a midshipman was killed when a cannonball missed him by mere inches and liquified his brains due to the pressure or some other. I imagine being shot in a hollow slug at faster than light speeds wouldn't be much better or safer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Keon
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
avatar

Posts : 3075
Join date : 2012-01-17
Location : Hahahaha.

PostSubject: Re: Escape pod ideas   Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:28 pm

Lord Tiel wrote:
Keon wrote:
Warmaster Tsavong Lah wrote:
Vinyl Scratch wrote:
Life Bo-ats and escape pods. Maybe tele around inside a ship to get somewhere that would otherwise be a pain to get to using an elevator or just stairs (aux. stairs would be a good idea if the teleporters have malfunctioned somehow).
What good would Life Bo-ats do in space? Do you mean like larger escape pods, or like dropships/corvettes in a hangar that people can escape in? I think having a hangar full of ships is always a good thing, but they shouldn't be only Life Bo-ats. They should just be normal ships, that you could flee in, or fly in combat, or whatever. Multi-person escape pods would be OK. I don't think they're really necessary, but they wouldn't hurt anything.

I can't believe nobodies said this, but what about a hollow MAC projectile? Stand in, fire, get to the other side of the solar system in 10 seconds flat.

I don't know the exact term, but I read in the battle of Trafalgar that a midshipman was killed when a cannonball missed him by mere inches and liquified his brains due to the pressure or some other. I imagine being shot in a hollow slug at faster than light speeds wouldn't be much better or safer.

...
...
...

Yes, tiel. That was supposed to be obvious.

_________________
fr0stbyte124 wrote:
You know, I was thinking we should have a 3D crafting grid for complex recipes, but Kielaran is right: why have three dimensions when you can have six? Truly I don't know how we ever got by with a measly two.


Mackeroth? wrote:
Now, if Fr0stbyte wrote that, someone would make a sig, guaranteed. So what are you going to do now?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
torrentialAberration
Infantry
Infantry
avatar

Posts : 727
Join date : 2012-06-20
Age : 104
Location : omnipresent

PostSubject: Re: Escape pod ideas   Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:38 pm

MAC PODS!! get in, BOOM. WEEEEEEE! And you're across a star system in a few seconds. This would probably disintegrate a human, but it could be an unnecessarily energy costly and expensive mode of travel for a Minecraftian!

I was thinking that escape pods would be more like orbital drop pods, but slightly smaller and could only be used when the ship was about to explode, or when it was being evacuated for some other reason.


Last edited by catsonmeth on Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tiel+
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
avatar

Posts : 5497
Join date : 2012-02-20
Age : 20
Location : AFK

PostSubject: Re: Escape pod ideas   Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:39 pm

Keon wrote:
Lord Tiel wrote:
Keon wrote:
Warmaster Tsavong Lah wrote:
Vinyl Scratch wrote:
Life Bo-ats and escape pods. Maybe tele around inside a ship to get somewhere that would otherwise be a pain to get to using an elevator or just stairs (aux. stairs would be a good idea if the teleporters have malfunctioned somehow).
What good would Life Bo-ats do in space? Do you mean like larger escape pods, or like dropships/corvettes in a hangar that people can escape in? I think having a hangar full of ships is always a good thing, but they shouldn't be only Life Bo-ats. They should just be normal ships, that you could flee in, or fly in combat, or whatever. Multi-person escape pods would be OK. I don't think they're really necessary, but they wouldn't hurt anything.

I can't believe nobodies said this, but what about a hollow MAC projectile? Stand in, fire, get to the other side of the solar system in 10 seconds flat.

I don't know the exact term, but I read in the battle of Trafalgar that a midshipman was killed when a cannonball missed him by mere inches and liquified his brains due to the pressure or some other. I imagine being shot in a hollow slug at faster than light speeds wouldn't be much better or safer.

...
...
...

Yes, tiel. That was supposed to be obvious.

Because your wording totally indicated sarcasm, right?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Last_Jedi_Standing
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 3033
Join date : 2012-02-19
Age : 104
Location : Coruscant

PostSubject: Re: Escape pod ideas   Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:05 pm

Lord Tiel wrote:
Keon wrote:
Lord Tiel wrote:
Keon wrote:
Warmaster Tsavong Lah wrote:
Vinyl Scratch wrote:
Life Bo-ats and escape pods. Maybe tele around inside a ship to get somewhere that would otherwise be a pain to get to using an elevator or just stairs (aux. stairs would be a good idea if the teleporters have malfunctioned somehow).
What good would Life Bo-ats do in space? Do you mean like larger escape pods, or like dropships/corvettes in a hangar that people can escape in? I think having a hangar full of ships is always a good thing, but they shouldn't be only Life Bo-ats. They should just be normal ships, that you could flee in, or fly in combat, or whatever. Multi-person escape pods would be OK. I don't think they're really necessary, but they wouldn't hurt anything.

I can't believe nobodies said this, but what about a hollow MAC projectile? Stand in, fire, get to the other side of the solar system in 10 seconds flat.

I don't know the exact term, but I read in the battle of Trafalgar that a midshipman was killed when a cannonball missed him by mere inches and liquified his brains due to the pressure or some other. I imagine being shot in a hollow slug at faster than light speeds wouldn't be much better or safer.

...
...
...

Yes, tiel. That was supposed to be obvious.

Because your wording totally indicated sarcasm, right?
All sarcasm aside, there should be some kind of projectile boarding craft that work like that. Think about how Droch-class boarding craft were used to deploy B-2 SBDs and BX-series commando droids directly into Republic capital ships during the Clone Wars. Even if it's not a MAC round or an escape pod, it's still a good idea.

_________________
Spoiler:
 

Back to top Go down
View user profile
torrentialAberration
Infantry
Infantry
avatar

Posts : 727
Join date : 2012-06-20
Age : 104
Location : omnipresent

PostSubject: Re: Escape pod ideas   Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:10 pm

Warmaster Tsavong Lah wrote:

All sarcasm aside, there should be some kind of projectile boarding craft that work like that. Think about how Droch-class boarding craft were used to deploy B-2 SBDs and BX-series commando droids directly into Republic capital ships during the Clone Wars. Even if it's not a MAC round or an escape pod, it's still a good idea.

Just make a small ship with a hardened prow that can make it through the armor of a large ship.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Keon
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
avatar

Posts : 3075
Join date : 2012-01-17
Location : Hahahaha.

PostSubject: Re: Escape pod ideas   Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:13 am

Torpedo starships? And then the front opens up and battle droids come out? WIN!

_________________
fr0stbyte124 wrote:
You know, I was thinking we should have a 3D crafting grid for complex recipes, but Kielaran is right: why have three dimensions when you can have six? Truly I don't know how we ever got by with a measly two.


Mackeroth? wrote:
Now, if Fr0stbyte wrote that, someone would make a sig, guaranteed. So what are you going to do now?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Julo
Recruit
Recruit
avatar

Posts : 204
Join date : 2012-07-06
Age : 20
Location : Somewhere in Space

PostSubject: Re: Escape pod ideas   Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:21 am

Keon wrote:
Torpedo starships? And then the front opens up and battle droids come out? WIN!

That could be Used for the robots in the mod.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Laserbilly
Infantry
Infantry
avatar

Posts : 584
Join date : 2012-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Escape pod ideas   Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:17 am

Keon wrote:
Torpedo starships? And then the front opens up and battle droids come out? WIN!

They would have to be shielded for that impact to not kill/destroy everything within the boarding pod.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Keon
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
avatar

Posts : 3075
Join date : 2012-01-17
Location : Hahahaha.

PostSubject: Re: Escape pod ideas   Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:09 am

Laserbilly wrote:
Keon wrote:
Torpedo starships? And then the front opens up and battle droids come out? WIN!

They would have to be shielded for that impact to not kill/destroy everything within the boarding pod.

They are robots, come on. Put them in a seatbelt.

_________________
fr0stbyte124 wrote:
You know, I was thinking we should have a 3D crafting grid for complex recipes, but Kielaran is right: why have three dimensions when you can have six? Truly I don't know how we ever got by with a measly two.


Mackeroth? wrote:
Now, if Fr0stbyte wrote that, someone would make a sig, guaranteed. So what are you going to do now?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Last_Jedi_Standing
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 3033
Join date : 2012-02-19
Age : 104
Location : Coruscant

PostSubject: Re: Escape pod ideas   Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:29 pm

Keon wrote:
Laserbilly wrote:
Keon wrote:
Torpedo starships? And then the front opens up and battle droids come out? WIN!

They would have to be shielded for that impact to not kill/destroy everything within the boarding pod.

They are robots, come on. Put them in a seatbelt.
When the ship is carrying BX-series droids, they're usually powered down, in a rack. I don't know about SBDs, but I'd guess it's something similar.

Droch-class ships are shaped like a spike, so they can pierce armor. I don't know about shields. If something that large hit a ship's shields at any reasonable velocity, it would probably collapse the shield, but would likely destroy the boarding craft in the process. They may have to wait for the shields to fail before boarding.

Here's a picture.

Those 4 spikes come together to form a single large one, and then spread apart again to enlarge the hole. The droids deploy through the hole in the center.

_________________
Spoiler:
 

Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
avatar

Posts : 3123
Join date : 2011-08-31
Location : I'm a butterfly.

PostSubject: Re: Escape pod ideas   Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:28 pm

Keon wrote:
Torpedo starships? And then the front opens up and battle droids come out? WIN!

The problem is with the shields, and the amount of lag a proper physics that would allow us to do that would cause. I discussed ramming with Fr0stbyte a while ago, we concluded to forget about it.

_________________



Noli timere tenebras quam lucem, id est tortor.


Spoiler:
 



Mackeroth est abiit. Hinc abiit, et misit me in profundum subconscious!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
avatar

Posts : 1835
Join date : 2011-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Escape pod ideas   Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:13 pm

Explosion physics should be fine, as is collision detection. It's the continuous debris simulation where things start to get out of hand.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Keon
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
avatar

Posts : 3075
Join date : 2012-01-17
Location : Hahahaha.

PostSubject: Re: Escape pod ideas   Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:15 pm

fr0stbyte124 wrote:
Explosion physics should be fine, as is collision detection. It's the continuous debris simulation where things start to get out of hand.

Just spawn a few explodyfx. Then have some cinders fly out and fade into black.

_________________
fr0stbyte124 wrote:
You know, I was thinking we should have a 3D crafting grid for complex recipes, but Kielaran is right: why have three dimensions when you can have six? Truly I don't know how we ever got by with a measly two.


Mackeroth? wrote:
Now, if Fr0stbyte wrote that, someone would make a sig, guaranteed. So what are you going to do now?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
avatar

Posts : 3123
Join date : 2011-08-31
Location : I'm a butterfly.

PostSubject: Re: Escape pod ideas   Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:31 pm

fr0stbyte124 wrote:
Explosion physics should be fine, as is collision detection. It's the continuous debris simulation where things start to get out of hand.

That's what I meant. Explosions are fine, but having blocks go spinning through space is difficult.

_________________



Noli timere tenebras quam lucem, id est tortor.


Spoiler:
 



Mackeroth est abiit. Hinc abiit, et misit me in profundum subconscious!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Julo
Recruit
Recruit
avatar

Posts : 204
Join date : 2012-07-06
Age : 20
Location : Somewhere in Space

PostSubject: Re: Escape pod ideas   Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:21 am

Mackeroth? wrote:
fr0stbyte124 wrote:
Explosion physics should be fine, as is collision detection. It's the continuous debris simulation where things start to get out of hand.

That's what I meant. Explosions are fine, but having blocks go spinning through space is difficult.

Maybe the Guy who created this can help you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
avatar

Posts : 1835
Join date : 2011-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Escape pod ideas   Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:11 pm

Nah, looked at it already. It murders framerate and takes too long to redraw. Minecraft's fault more than the mod's but either way we'll have to make our own solution. Most likely it will predict the damage ahead of time and start caching the redraws rather than trying to do it all instantly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
avatar

Posts : 3123
Join date : 2011-08-31
Location : I'm a butterfly.

PostSubject: Re: Escape pod ideas   Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:02 pm

fr0stbyte124 wrote:
Nah, looked at it already. It murders framerate and takes too long to redraw. Minecraft's fault more than the mod's but either way we'll have to make our own solution. Most likely it will predict the damage ahead of time and start caching the redraws rather than trying to do it all instantly.

Which in the middle of a space battle involving a dozen ships all firing weapons and taking damage is still pretty costly.

_________________



Noli timere tenebras quam lucem, id est tortor.


Spoiler:
 



Mackeroth est abiit. Hinc abiit, et misit me in profundum subconscious!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hyperlite
Captain
Captain
avatar

Posts : 1529
Join date : 2012-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Escape pod ideas   Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:49 pm

Futurecraft main menu.

Spoiler:
 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tiel+
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
avatar

Posts : 5497
Join date : 2012-02-20
Age : 20
Location : AFK

PostSubject: Re: Escape pod ideas   Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:01 pm

Where's the ignore button?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Laibach
General
General
avatar

Posts : 2024
Join date : 2012-01-23
Age : 66
Location : Frozen Fields

PostSubject: Re: Escape pod ideas   Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:15 pm

Lord Tiel wrote:
Where's the ignore button?


till pls

Spoiler:
 


Last edited by Dayman on Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
avatar

Posts : 1835
Join date : 2011-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Escape pod ideas   Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:24 pm

hyperlite wrote:
Futurecraft main menu.

Spoiler:
 
Why are we running in Alpha?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tiel+
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
avatar

Posts : 5497
Join date : 2012-02-20
Age : 20
Location : AFK

PostSubject: Re: Escape pod ideas   Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:26 pm

fr0stbyte124 wrote:
hyperlite wrote:
Futurecraft main menu.

Spoiler:
 
Why are we running in Alpha?

Because you want to get as far away from 1.3's thin client model as possible.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Joel
Marine
Marine
avatar

Posts : 1473
Join date : 2012-04-01
Age : 20
Location : A Death World, stopping a Waaagh!

PostSubject: Re: Escape pod ideas   Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:58 pm

You gave me a seizure. Seriously, so for that reason, picture removed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Escape pod ideas   

Back to top Go down
 
Escape pod ideas
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Escape to Hawaii Photo Contest *usa only*
» I need a hobby..any ideas?
» Valloween
» Drawing Contest!
» Not Another Racial Harmony Photo Contest *Singapore only*

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Futurecraft Forums :: Development :: Idea Center-
Jump to: