Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

New help for code

Go down 
+4
Tiel+
Avenger_7
Evinid Eden
hyperlite
8 posters
AuthorMessage
hyperlite
Captain
Captain
hyperlite

New help for code Empty
PostSubject: New help for code   New help for code Icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 1:05 am

Well as of this early I probably shouldn't be announcing anything but, I think I ma be able to get another java coder here. All I know is that he is 28 and a java programmer. Now before you get too excited I don't know if he knows anything about mods but his age really seems to be a good thing.
Back to top Go down
Evinid Eden

New help for code Empty
PostSubject: Thanks for the invite hyperlite   New help for code Icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2012 10:53 pm

Back to top Go down
Avenger_7
Sergeant
Sergeant
Avenger_7

New help for code Empty
PostSubject: Re: New help for code   New help for code Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2012 8:15 pm

Too bad no one can work out what needs to be done. We need our project lead (fr0stbyte/mackeroth) to get everyone organized.
Back to top Go down
hyperlite
Captain
Captain
hyperlite

New help for code Empty
PostSubject: Re: New help for code   New help for code Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2012 8:17 pm

First of all our "leader" mackeroth has no idea what's going on, really only frost does so, we need to get that from him.
Back to top Go down
Avenger_7
Sergeant
Sergeant
Avenger_7

New help for code Empty
PostSubject: Re: New help for code   New help for code Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2012 8:20 pm

...which is why I posted both names, because although it's Mack's idea, fr0st is doing most (almost all) of the work.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Tiel+

New help for code Empty
PostSubject: Re: New help for code   New help for code Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2012 11:05 pm

Avenger_7 wrote:
...which is why I posted both names, because although it's Mack's idea, fr0st is doing all of the work.

I have fixed this for you.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

New help for code Empty
PostSubject: Re: New help for code   New help for code Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2012 11:27 pm

Not true. Keon is helping, too. Right Keon?
Back to top Go down
hyperlite
Captain
Captain
hyperlite

New help for code Empty
PostSubject: Re: New help for code   New help for code Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2012 11:29 pm

Keon was on the server a lot...
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

New help for code Empty
PostSubject: Re: New help for code   New help for code Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 8:12 am

Okay. Fr0stbyte may be doing all the coding work, but he has as much idea about what's actually going into the mod as I do. Well, from what I can gather.
Back to top Go down
hyperlite
Captain
Captain
hyperlite

New help for code Empty
PostSubject: Re: New help for code   New help for code Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 11:19 am

But ideas don't mean a thing until they are actually coded. Frostbyte, as far as everyone else knows right now, you are only coding Copernicus, making spaceships fly, then after that is done the rest can make "content" but you need the engine first. So I hate to be that guy but really, what do you have done (put it in english) and how long will it be. I know everyone hates those questions, but I am sure I am not the only one wondering. I don't need exact details, just an overview. I know you got that "real" job and all but still a bunch of teenagers count on you here.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

New help for code Empty
PostSubject: Re: New help for code   New help for code Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 3:57 pm

Fair enough, Mr. That Guy.

First of all, Copernicus is a lot farther reaching than simply making ships fly. It is a framework which allows Minecraft to treat large world spaces as if they exist within the same physical context. On top of that is a slew of much needed engine mods which will give the game the performance boost needed to handle this new framework.

Among these are modifications to the network protocol, specifically migrating the entire thing to UDP, adding timestamp-based operations and the capacity to trigger events retroactively, as well as more general things to improve the sensibility of what data is being passed and with sort of priority. Got lots of notes on this but I'm waiting until Mojang finishes doing whatever they plan to do with thin clients before starting on that.

The primary thing I'm working on right now is the graphics engine, as I have for the last four or five months (albeit not as frequently as of late). I've written quite a bit about it in the past, but I can find links if you want. The idea here is to boost the draw distance to at the very least 1 km while using no more resources than are currently being taken up. The trick to it is a novel geometry representation which disassociates surface texture data from the geometry, so that both can be optimized without regard to the other. I forget the exact numbers but the reduction in data usage is significant, like 90%. This is a major undertaking and the engine is still only at about 25%. However, we won't need all the features immediately, so I'll be able to switch gears soon.

Additionally, there will be a new file format which prioritizes time-to-render, and for the bulk of the geometry uses a new compression scheme that allows you to generate geometry directly via bitwise operations, 32 blocks at a time. It's not far enough along that I can give concrete performance numbers, but it'll be a completely different ballgame from what we've seen so far. The normal cube layer specification is complete, but I haven't started the unique cases yet.

I've been putting off the flying ship aspect for a while now until I get some of the lower level work done. Abandoned the concurrent worlds model in favor of the old fashon ship entities. Though concurrent worlds would be nice, Minecraft is too fundamentally set in a one-world interface. It would not work out in the long run. Instead, entities will act as placeholders for other world spaces, handling collision, lighting, and other entity interaction. Once I can get back to it, we'll be in good shape but I can't divert my attention to it yet. Ship/world entity proxies are at about 20%, the collision model is at 80%, and there will probably need to be additional interfaces for generalizing interactions. Custom gravity orientations has not been started, nor has planet generation.

On average I work at my actual job 10-12 hours a day, and don't get a ton of sleep. I work on Futurecraft on the weekends whenever I don't have more pressing concerns, but it's only a fraction of the time I had before March, so progress has been rather slow, and will continue to be slow for the foreseeable future. Sorry about that.
It would be nice if I could find other programmers who could pick up the slack, but a lot of this is really high level stuff I only really understand after half a year working on it, and it's unreasonable to expect someone else to pick it up without having done the same.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

New help for code Empty
PostSubject: Re: New help for code   New help for code Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 4:08 pm

Also before anyone says anything, that is the short version.
Back to top Go down
scout37
Recruit
Recruit
scout37

Location : Earth, in the most powerful and globally dominating country on the planet

New help for code Empty
PostSubject: Re: New help for code   New help for code Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 4:49 pm

We 9or at least some of us) should understand how difficult it must really be for anyone else to pick up on. We would definitely need professional programmers just from reading the "short version" so i think we need anyone we can get who has the experience.

We believe in you, frostbyte! Just dont push yourself too hard.
Back to top Go down
hyperlite
Captain
Captain
hyperlite

New help for code Empty
PostSubject: Re: New help for code   New help for code Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 8:45 pm

Thanks frost, I understood a lot of that, more than usual. Do you think Evinid could help you with ANYTHING at all that needs to be done like planet generation? He has probably the same limited free time as you, but he can start to look at opengl and all this stuff like you did in October. I think he could help us, and is probably less sketchy than cascaid (anyone know what happened to him?). He has been playing on that server I know him from for a while so he does not come and go, so Evinid, try to pick up something and work on it, communicate with frostbyte about it and work together. 2 work faster than one (saying they agree and communicate well), and frost, Evinid will probably understand more of the stuff you say, like ectremble did, give him area 51 access after you talk to him and start working together.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

New help for code Empty
PostSubject: Re: New help for code   New help for code Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 1:36 am

Cascaid's been waiting on me to finish work on the graphics engine so we can start messing with the proxy worlds. He's got other obligations and didn't want to work on it without at least some direction. He hasn't run off or anything.

If Evinid knows anything about network protocol, that's probably the easiest thing (relatively speaking) to get into. I'm a little hesitant to do much with it right now, what with the thin client model showing up in the latest snapshots and Dinnerbone remaining quite active in working on network. It's awfully volatile at the moment. Assisting Keon or Danice would be more along the lines of standard modding, if he's interested in that sort of thing. Other than that, there's some mundane stuff like source control which we've needed set up for some time. I really don't know. Didn't have much of a plan for what we'd do with another programmer right now, especially now that the learning curve has gotten so steep.

We need to wait on Shiva to get him access.
Back to top Go down
hyperlite
Captain
Captain
hyperlite

New help for code Empty
PostSubject: Re: New help for code   New help for code Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 12:06 pm

So once you finish the graphics engine then Cascaid will be able to help you, sorry to Cascade you don't post much and haven't in a while, so I though you were gone. But could Evinid get guidance from you with cascaid when this is finished? Can 3 people mess with "proxy worlds"? I just want to try and fit him in somewhere, I think he could be a big hand.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

New help for code Empty
PostSubject: Re: New help for code   New help for code Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 1:48 pm

I wouldn't mind it, but right now the proxy world implementation is quite a mess. Half the code doesn't work and the other half is obsolete in the latest drafts, which haven't been coded. Anything done in there before I have a chance to address it is probably going to be end up being mostly wasted effort.
Back to top Go down
hyperlite
Captain
Captain
hyperlite

New help for code Empty
PostSubject: Re: New help for code   New help for code Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 2:33 pm

So, you don't really need him for a while, I guess he should just check this site periodically until he is needed? What now?
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

New help for code Empty
PostSubject: Re: New help for code   New help for code Icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2012 11:08 am

Do you have any experience with server design or networks?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New help for code Empty
PostSubject: Re: New help for code   New help for code Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New help for code
Page 1 of 1