Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!
 
HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Share | 
 

 How we should do power generation.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
tonyri
Newbie
Newbie
avatar

Posts : 126
Join date : 2011-09-04
Age : 22
Location : Wisconsin, USA

PostSubject: Re: How we should do power generation.   Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:24 pm

Boom. Thread back on topic.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
avatar

Posts : 1497
Join date : 2012-01-30
Location : I am here. I am there. I am everywhere.

PostSubject: Re: How we should do power generation.   Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:28 pm

You... can't... DO THAT!!!

IT'S NOT POSSIBLE!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa..........

*runs away*
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buggy1997123
DEV
DEV
avatar

Posts : 393
Join date : 2011-10-18
Location : Somewhere, somewhen.

PostSubject: Re: How we should do power generation.   Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:39 pm

ectrimble20 wrote:
Did stargate really happen buggy? Is it a historical documentary? or something somebody made up? I'm thinking it's the latter of the two.

The multi-verse theory is full of holes. Stargates are fantasy and most theories Sci-fi stuff uses is based solely on speculation.

Again, I'm not saying that we have to have 100% accurate items, but copying stuff from TV shows, just sounds lazy to me. Besides, my creeper powered propulsion system would be much more fun.
Speculation or not, it still doesn't seem too ridiculous.

@Everyone Who Yells UNBALLANCED!!!!1!!!11!!ONE!

I think you all fail to realize this would mean you would have to build several dozen square miles of nanometer-scale technology. And guard it. And prevent anything larger than.... and prevent ANYTHING from hitting it. Including photons. And electrons. And everything. I mean literally everything, absolutely everything.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ectrimble20
DEV
DEV
avatar

Posts : 441
Join date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: How we should do power generation.   Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:09 pm

Buggy1997123 wrote:
ectrimble20 wrote:
Did stargate really happen buggy? Is it a historical documentary? or something somebody made up? I'm thinking it's the latter of the two.

The multi-verse theory is full of holes. Stargates are fantasy and most theories Sci-fi stuff uses is based solely on speculation.

Again, I'm not saying that we have to have 100% accurate items, but copying stuff from TV shows, just sounds lazy to me. Besides, my creeper powered propulsion system would be much more fun.
Speculation or not, it still doesn't seem too ridiculous.

@Everyone Who Yells UNBALLANCED!!!!1!!!11!!ONE!

I think you all fail to realize this would mean you would have to build several dozen square miles of nanometer-scale technology. And guard it. And prevent anything larger than.... and prevent ANYTHING from hitting it. Including photons. And electrons. And everything. I mean literally everything, absolutely everything.

So right there, that's what I'm talking about. What you're proposing is a rediculously complicated and impractical and quite easily destroyed (sounds like you can break it just by looking at it) super power source.

I didn't mean for this to get derailed, but as others have pointed out, yes, I am in fact tired of all of our ideas coming from Stargate or Star Wars or what have you. If we're going to clone a Sci-fi film, we might as well rename the mod Sci-Fi-Channel-Craft (and yes I know they call it Sy-Fi now, but that just sounds dumb). I think that for the sake of this mod, we should take an idea we love, like Doc's ZPM, rework the logic of it and build it into our own ideas. Don't try to copy it word for word and try to explain it with some irrational theory about tiny particles emitting energy, that's re-donk-u-lous.

Ok, to get this started, here's what I'd propose as a ZPM type replacement. An anti-matter reactor. Simple enough yes? You take anti-matter, throw in some matter, contain the ensuing explosive reaction and recover energy from it. Is it possible? probably not, does it sound cool? yeah I suppose. Is it in star gate or star wars? No? good. Now we're getting somewhere.

/end-tyrannical-rant-of-doom-hamster-kittens
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
avatar

Posts : 1497
Join date : 2012-01-30
Location : I am here. I am there. I am everywhere.

PostSubject: Re: How we should do power generation.   Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:15 pm

Yaaaaaay anti-matter reactors it is!


Also, from what Buggy said, it seems his field of nanotechnology would break without you even having to look at it, since he mentionned than you have to prevent anything and everything from getting to it, meaning if you're simply standing in it's general vicinity you'll be reflecting photons at it and breaking it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ectrimble20
DEV
DEV
avatar

Posts : 441
Join date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: How we should do power generation.   Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:21 pm

Pat22 wrote:
Yaaaaaay anti-matter reactors it is!


Also, from what Buggy said, it seems his field of nanotechnology would break without you even having to look at it, since he mentionned than you have to prevent anything and everything from getting to it, meaning if you're simply standing in it's general vicinity you'll be reflecting photons at it and breaking it?

Sounds like it's made in china
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
avatar

Posts : 1497
Join date : 2012-01-30
Location : I am here. I am there. I am everywhere.

PostSubject: Re: How we should do power generation.   Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:28 pm

Nanotechnology, so...


Yes, most likely made in China.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Danice123
DEV
DEV
avatar

Posts : 607
Join date : 2012-01-06
Age : 23
Location : The Dankins

PostSubject: Re: How we should do power generation.   Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:36 pm

I think he meant

Breaks when you look at it, so...

Yes, most likely made in China.

(I was going to say that the USA produces more nanotech than China, but it looks like they have been outspending us for 2 or 3 years now... Touché)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://wbcentral.com
Splash_Fire
Newbie
Newbie


Posts : 2
Join date : 2012-01-31

PostSubject: Re: How we should do power generation.   Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:05 am

Um, excuse me for thinking out of the box, but not many things just go straight from energy production to usage.

Nuclear Reactors delegate their energy to one or multiple power plants that can spread it efficiently.

So I guess I'm suggesting something along the lines of Energy Crystals that store a specified amount of energy based on the type, size, and cut of them

Crystal names: You can make up some fancy ones, like Dizzinite, Pharktium, Keiton, etc. or just use ones we know like Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Diamond
Sizes: Tiny, Small, Medium, Large, Huge, "Hot Damn", etc.
Cut: Spherical, Ovularly, Pyramid, Trigonal bi-pyramid (a 3D diamond shape, 2 pyramids stuck base to base)

You'd need a special apparatus to hook up to the Core and be able to store power, but not be removed while the ship is still active (so you're not just charging it and then running it out and replacing it with another one Razz)
They should also have a MAXIMUM output rate per Crystal.

IE: 4 small=1 medium in storage but, Small=1/2 output of Medium which means while having 4 smaller cores as opposed to 1 medium will give you the same storage space but double the MAXIMUM energy output rate.

NOTE: It would take 4 crystal apparatus' to use the small ones, but 1 for the medium sized one


Just FYI, I'm a pretty damn good Idea and concept man, I've helped with many mods both working and still WIP ones.

If you ever want to get some ideas from me just message me on my profile in MinecraftForums. Username: Splash_Fire

I'd post you a link, but I'm nooby and it won't let me
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
avatar

Posts : 3123
Join date : 2011-08-31
Location : I'm a butterfly.

PostSubject: Re: How we should do power generation.   Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:22 am

Splash_Fire, you are possibly a genius.

With a few modifications, we shall use these power crystals to power our empire!

They're a bit like capacitors, except better, because they are more futuristic.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
avatar

Posts : 1835
Join date : 2011-10-13

PostSubject: Re: How we should do power generation.   Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:12 am

Ectrimble's not going to go for it. Too far on the magical side. I think it's too much like Industrial Craft.
I've got nothing against exotic materials, but it ought to be based in something with a reasonable justification for working.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
avatar

Posts : 3123
Join date : 2011-08-31
Location : I'm a butterfly.

PostSubject: Re: How we should do power generation.   Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:43 am

Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
avatar

Posts : 1835
Join date : 2011-10-13

PostSubject: Re: How we should do power generation.   Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:11 am

Your sad, sad human tears are no match for my steely aye-aye resolve.

Find some way to make the capacitor system work without resorting to straight up magic and we'll talk.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shiva
Admin
avatar

Posts : 488
Join date : 2011-08-30
Age : 23

PostSubject: Re: How we should do power generation.   Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:29 pm

I think we should have capacitors, purely because the big guns use a LOT of power all at once, and that would strain your reactor to explosion, more than likely. Fill the capacitors over time with the ship's excess output until they're full, and then when you go into battle you're not having to divert power from your engines to your weapons or vice versa - you can just go and attack.

And Mackeroth, superconducting capacitors are still futuristic as ALL hell.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://futurecraft.forumotion.com
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
avatar

Posts : 1497
Join date : 2012-01-30
Location : I am here. I am there. I am everywhere.

PostSubject: Re: How we should do power generation.   Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:35 pm

Good thing this is all going on in a world with it's own set of laws of physics.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Beaner
Newbie
Newbie
avatar

Posts : 89
Join date : 2012-01-27
Location : Under a cat or four.

PostSubject: Re: How we should do power generation.   Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:47 pm

Pat22 wrote:
Good thing this is all going on in a world with it's own set of laws of physics.

Who needs physics when electricity can travel infinite distances without losing some power along the way?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Danice123
DEV
DEV
avatar

Posts : 607
Join date : 2012-01-06
Age : 23
Location : The Dankins

PostSubject: Re: How we should do power generation.   Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:29 pm

Pat22 wrote:
Good thing this is all going on in a world with it's own set of laws of physics.

I fixed that once. Look for my mod on the minecraft forums.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://wbcentral.com
hell2o
Newbie
Newbie


Posts : 41
Join date : 2012-01-31

PostSubject: Re: How we should do power generation.   Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:45 pm

i was wondering if there will be any way to "beam" power between ships and planets ie:

[ = power transmiter ] = reciver - = power beam o = planet s =ship

o[------------]s

or

s[------------]s

(not to scale)


Back to top Go down
View user profile
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
avatar

Posts : 1835
Join date : 2011-10-13

PostSubject: Re: How we should do power generation.   Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:46 pm

We can consider it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ectrimble20
DEV
DEV
avatar

Posts : 441
Join date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: How we should do power generation.   Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:03 pm

Alright, lets all take a step back here.

Let us not discuss how to transfer power between a ship and planet when we cannot even settle on how to power a damn light bulb.

Now, I don't think power crystals are the way to go, as Frost said, they sound, well... idk, lame, I guess? I don't want to sound all abrasive and anti-out-of-the-box but I wouldn't consider power crystals anything new.

My proposal has been and will remain to be a simple reactor. Just a basic run of the mill reactor, that's it. Put uranium in, get power out.

Of course it's not that simple in real life, but the last time I checked, I wasn't able to punch a tree and get wood from it either. *punches desk for 5 min, desk does not become a carriable item*

I think for the sake of getting this done, we go simple first, then increase the complexity as we need it. Right now I suspect we simply need a generator, a fuel supply, a wiring system, and things to use the power. And Bam! we're done.

Once we have a basic frame works, then we can start trying to make complex components like capacitors, regulators, diodes, and other fancy electrical components that can do the magic without being a power crystal.

We need to quit with the fantasy ideas of new things and concentrate on making something that will work. Once you have something that works, it's MUCH easier to add on to it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Danice123
DEV
DEV
avatar

Posts : 607
Join date : 2012-01-06
Age : 23
Location : The Dankins

PostSubject: Re: How we should do power generation.   Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:50 pm

I have the basic framework done. I just need to start adding these complex stuff next.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://wbcentral.com
hell2o
Newbie
Newbie


Posts : 41
Join date : 2012-01-31

PostSubject: Re: How we should do power generation.   Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:51 pm

i think a reactor would be a good mid-game power system but its something we can do now so not exactly futuristic (advanced but still current tech). btw futuristic stuff sould be something that has a name that tells you almost nothing about what it is. like a flux capacitor or a thermic regulator.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buggy1997123
DEV
DEV
avatar

Posts : 393
Join date : 2011-10-18
Location : Somewhere, somewhen.

PostSubject: Re: How we should do power generation.   Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:41 pm

ectrimble20 wrote:
Buggy1997123 wrote:
ectrimble20 wrote:
Did stargate really happen buggy? Is it a historical documentary? or something somebody made up? I'm thinking it's the latter of the two.

The multi-verse theory is full of holes. Stargates are fantasy and most theories Sci-fi stuff uses is based solely on speculation.

Again, I'm not saying that we have to have 100% accurate items, but copying stuff from TV shows, just sounds lazy to me. Besides, my creeper powered propulsion system would be much more fun.
Speculation or not, it still doesn't seem too ridiculous.

@Everyone Who Yells UNBALLANCED!!!!1!!!11!!ONE!

I think you all fail to realize this would mean you would have to build several dozen square miles of nanometer-scale technology. And guard it. And prevent anything larger than.... and prevent ANYTHING from hitting it. Including photons. And electrons. And everything. I mean literally everything, absolutely everything.

So right there, that's what I'm talking about. What you're proposing is a rediculously complicated and impractical and quite easily destroyed (sounds like you can break it just by looking at it) super power source.

I didn't mean for this to get derailed, but as others have pointed out, yes, I am in fact tired of all of our ideas coming from Stargate or Star Wars or what have you. If we're going to clone a Sci-fi film, we might as well rename the mod Sci-Fi-Channel-Craft (and yes I know they call it Sy-Fi now, but that just sounds dumb). I think that for the sake of this mod, we should take an idea we love, like Doc's ZPM, rework the logic of it and build it into our own ideas. Don't try to copy it word for word and try to explain it with some irrational theory about tiny particles emitting energy, that's re-donk-u-lous.

Ok, to get this started, here's what I'd propose as a ZPM type replacement. An anti-matter reactor. Simple enough yes? You take anti-matter, throw in some matter, contain the ensuing explosive reaction and recover energy from it. Is it possible? probably not, does it sound cool? yeah I suppose. Is it in star gate or star wars? No? good. Now we're getting somewhere.

/end-tyrannical-rant-of-doom-hamster-kittens
Uh... wait. How would we get antimatter? A A-M reactor would work similarily to a nuclear reactor with how the energy is actually harvested so people can use it run toasters or whatever, but how would we actually get the antimatter?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Grand Imperial Thunder
Infantry
Infantry


Posts : 714
Join date : 2012-01-31
Location : Saturday is awesome.

PostSubject: Re: How we should do power generation.   Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:16 pm

Maybe, you could use carbon nano tube batteries from what I understand they can be grown and can store a massive amount of power.
also made an account just to comment this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ectrimble20
DEV
DEV
avatar

Posts : 441
Join date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: How we should do power generation.   Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:23 pm

buggy wrote:
Uh... wait. How would we get antimatter? A A-M reactor would work similarily to a nuclear reactor with how the energy is actually harvested so people can use it run toasters or whatever, but how would we actually get the antimatter?

Who cares? Mine it from an anti-matter asteroid for all I care lol.

To my knowledge Anti-matter would be extremely impractical anyway, it currently costs all the money in the world to make a small amount, like 10 grams or something.

I think I was throwing anti-matter out there as just an alternative to the ZPM idea which has become quite impractical.

btw its An anti-matter reactor, not a anti-matter reactor, being a little grammar nazi tonight lol.

Anyway, I'm tired of talking about reactors and what not, I'd be fine with letting Danice do his own bidding and making it how he sees it and just run with that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: How we should do power generation.   

Back to top Go down
 
How we should do power generation.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Got My Copy of Nintendo Power's Final Issue!
» The Next Generation Contest
» Power Rangers: Mushroom Force Series Hub - PLEASE POST HERE BEFORE PLAYING!!
» World Breaker Hulk Vs HP Doomsday Vs Thanos (W/Power Gem)
» The Beyonders Power

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Futurecraft Forums :: Development :: Idea Center-
Jump to: