Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

The thread where I discuss whatever I want with whoever I want

Go down 
+22
Dux Tell31
Groot
fr0stbyte124
Formedoubly
hyperlite
Red Fang
Buggy1997123
Danice123
ACH0225
xanex21
Commander Error
LOZZO1000
hiloser12221
Last_Jedi_Standing
GLaDOS
Laibach
Keon
Tiel+
herobrine
blockman42
TinkerPox
Pat Best
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 19  Next
AuthorMessage
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

The thread where I discuss whatever I want with whoever I want - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The thread where I discuss whatever I want with whoever I want   The thread where I discuss whatever I want with whoever I want - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 10:59 pm

Quote :
Reading up on the wiki, the CSO can deploy tens of thousands of ground troops. It would've had Reach overrun by itself were it not for Noble team. But I believe the Protoss Carrier is probably the size of an Assault Carrier, if that, which the wiki insists a CSO can decimate in two if not one volleys.

let's accept the fact that it is the size of an assault carrier, even though I clearly remember official Blizzard images of a carrier parked over an entire protoss city and blocking out the sun because apparently the protoss were tired of the light or something,
even if it is the same size, it is not an assault carrier. This is a Protoss Capital Ship which, I repeat, has weapons powerful enough to pierce right through a planet's crust and liquify the surface.
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: The thread where I discuss whatever I want with whoever I want   The thread where I discuss whatever I want with whoever I want - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 11:00 pm

Tiel wrote:
Pat, I know, hence why I mentioned the Lore stats. These aren't in any way supported or official, just mere speculation on the part of the player.

Reading up on the wiki, the CSO can deploy tens of thousands of ground troops. It would've had Reach overrun by itself were it not for Noble team. But I believe the Protoss Carrier is probably the size of an Assault Carrier, if that, which the wiki insists a CSO can decimate in two if not one volleys.

Take into consideration that any fighters launched go bye bye with the Carrier's death...

I'd say the CSO would first target the four carriers with a corresponding energy projector, removing shields. Then, it would fire a volley of plasma torpedos and use pulse lasers against the stragglers.
Wait, I'm confused. Protoss is Starcraft, but isn't Reach from Halo? I haven't played either game, so I may be wrong.
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: The thread where I discuss whatever I want with whoever I want   The thread where I discuss whatever I want with whoever I want - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 11:01 pm

Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:
Tiel wrote:
Pat, I know, hence why I mentioned the Lore stats. These aren't in any way supported or official, just mere speculation on the part of the player.

Take into consideration that any fighters launched go bye bye with the Carrier's death...

I'd say the CSO would first target the four carriers with a corresponding energy projector, removing shields. Then, it would fire a volley of plasma torpedos and use pulse lasers against the stragglers.
Wait, I'm confused. Protoss is Starcraft, but isn't Reach from Halo? I haven't played either game, so I may be wrong.

Yeah Reach is Halo. It's the planet where they trained Spartans, their elite soldiers ( which can't stand up to either protoss or jedi, btw, sorry spartans. )
Back to top Go down
GLaDOS
Infantry
Infantry
GLaDOS

PostSubject: Re: The thread where I discuss whatever I want with whoever I want   The thread where I discuss whatever I want with whoever I want - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 11:04 pm

Spartans were the best soldiers in their universe. Then they met the Covenant and The Flood.
Back to top Go down
https://futurecraft.forumotion.com
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: The thread where I discuss whatever I want with whoever I want   The thread where I discuss whatever I want with whoever I want - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 11:04 pm

Pat22 ( The One. ) wrote:
Quote :

let's accept the fact that it is the size of an assault carrier, even though I clearly remember official Blizzard images of a carrier parked over an entire protoss city and blocking out the sun because apparently the protoss were tired of the light or something,
even if it is the same size, it is not an assault carrier. This is a Protoss Capital Ship which, I repeat, has weapons powerful enough to pierce right through a planet's crust and liquify the surface.
Can you find sources for that? The Starcraft wiki says "Carriers lack weapon batteries or armaments,[1] though possess energy weaponry fired from their bows, used in the purification of planets.[3][4] ". The purification of planets is what you're talking about, but they have no other weapons.
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: The thread where I discuss whatever I want with whoever I want   The thread where I discuss whatever I want with whoever I want - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 11:05 pm

GLaDOS wrote:
Spartans were the best soldiers in their universe. Then they met the Covenant and The Flood.
I hate it when that happens.
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: The thread where I discuss whatever I want with whoever I want   The thread where I discuss whatever I want with whoever I want - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 11:07 pm

Quote :

Can you find sources for that? The Starcraft wiki says "Carriers lack weapon batteries or armaments,[1] though possess energy weaponry fired from their bows, used in the purification of planets.[3][4] ". The purification of planets is what you're talking about, but they have no other weapons.

Yes that's what I'm talking about.

They could easily point those weapons at enemy ships, be creative!.

Again, the only reason they don't actually do it is because of in-game balance. If this were an FPS and you played as the protoss, you can bet your behind that you'd point that thing at enemy ships and let loose.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: The thread where I discuss whatever I want with whoever I want   The thread where I discuss whatever I want with whoever I want - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 11:08 pm

Your canon is so screwed up Pat I don't know where to start, so I'll just save myself the headache of explaining if you don't mind. In short, no they weren't. And I accept the fact that a Spartan woul- hey, wait! John-117 took out a squad of sword wielding specOps elites, which for the sake of discussion I think would be two = one protoss zealot. And I've seen Jedi die because of unexpected surprises; I'm sure that a plasma nade to the chest would catch said Jedi off guard and make him go boom.

And, wait, what? Weapons powerful enough to pierce the surface? This is from Lost Viking, correct? Well, in the books it takes only three CCS class battlecruisers to obliterate all the life on a planet within an hour. I can only imagine what a CSO class supercarrier would do if it concentrated fire with but two of its more powerful energy projectors. Chances are it'd be a bigger result then this WMD the Protoss have.

Also, when I refer to dominating the atmosphere, I speak literally. One Assault Carrier shadowed over New Mombassa, one supercarrier most definitely must have shadowed over an entire country.

I'm still jealous of your ship building skills though. I tried making a slope like the one on your dreadnaught and it turned out looking all wrong.

Last edited by Tiel on Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: The thread where I discuss whatever I want with whoever I want   The thread where I discuss whatever I want with whoever I want - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 11:11 pm

Quote :

Yes that's what I'm talking about.

They could easily point those weapons at enemy ships, be creative!.

Again, the only reason they don't actually do it is because of in-game balance. If this were an FPS and you played as the protoss, you can bet your behind that you'd point that thing at enemy ships and let loose.
But what I'm saying is that Eclipse can do the same thing, and it has other weapons (many, many other weapons).

I have to go now. If you're still here tomorrow, we can continue.
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: The thread where I discuss whatever I want with whoever I want   The thread where I discuss whatever I want with whoever I want - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 11:17 pm

Quote :
nd I accept the fact that a Spartan woul- hey, wait! John-117 took out a squad of sword wielding specOps elites, which for the sake of discussion I think would be two = one protoss zealot.

What's this? John-117 lost his mind and was then cut in half by a Dark Templar? Oh well, so much for that. The only reason John-117 kicks so much butt is simply because he's the guy the player plays, and the player wants to kick butt, not hide in a corner and cry for dear life.
Quote :

And, wait, what? Weapons powerful enough to pierce the surface? This is from Lost Viking, correct? Well, in the books it takes only three CCS class battlecruisers to obliterate all the life on a planet within an hour. I can only imagine what a CSO class supercarrier would do if it concentrated fire with but two of its more powerful energy projectors. Chances are it'd be a bigger result then this WMD the Protoss have.

Alright, but then you're facing the Protoss Mothership which can collapse your supercarrier in on itself by creating a black hole right in it.

Funny though, in-game, the ships aren't really that big. Granted they are pretty big, but shadowing an entire continent? I doubt.

They also seem much slower and weaker when it comes to destroying all life on a planet.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: The thread where I discuss whatever I want with whoever I want   The thread where I discuss whatever I want with whoever I want - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 11:26 pm

I said country, not continent. Continent =/= country, unless you're an Australian. In Halo 3 the Shadow of Intent, a CAS class Assault Carrier along with two CCS cruisers if I remember right, glassed half of Africa in a matter of seconds. The cutscenes show the glassing as a slow process so as to build up dramatization, to invoke a feeling of dread that these aliens would stop and destroy every human planet they find until they reach Earth. In reality, the Covenant do it much faster and efficiently in order to not tie up forces that could be used elsewhere.

As for Spartans, most never die until some dumbass accident, like jumping in front of a hunter. Really Will, really? I'd imagine Dark Templars would function the same as cloaked enemies ingame - still show up on Radar. Purification Beam, if I recall, only works in a small radius. It's beyond me how that can somehow pierce the crust of a planet...
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: The thread where I discuss whatever I want with whoever I want   The thread where I discuss whatever I want with whoever I want - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 11:35 pm

Tiel wrote:
I said country, not continent. Continent =/= country, unless you're an Australian. In Halo 3 the Shadow of Intent, a CAS class Assault Carrier along with two CCS cruisers if I remember right, glassed half of Africa in a matter of seconds. The cutscenes show the glassing as a slow process so as to build up dramatization, to invoke a feeling of dread that these aliens would stop and destroy every human planet they find until they reach Earth. In reality, the Covenant do it much faster and efficiently in order to not tie up forces that could be used elsewhere.

As for Spartans, most never die until some dumbass accident, like jumping in front of a hunter. Really Will, really? I'd imagine Dark Templars would function the same as cloaked enemies ingame - still show up on Radar. Purification Beam, if I recall, only works in a small radius. It's beyond me how that can somehow pierce the crust of a planet...

Dark templars bend light around themselves, so in terms of the cloaking, I suppose it is similar to that of the Covenant's. But their bag of tricks does not end there.

Aside from surprises or lucky shots, I don't see a spartan winning against a protoss or a jedi in a 1v1. They simply don't move fast enough, don't have the proper weapons or the proper defenses.

As for the purification beam, again, that's because everything is downsized in-game. Its real effect if to pierce all the way to the core at the location it is fired, in a generic city-wide radius and then the planet is not simply glassified, but entirely liquified, turned into a giant ball of magma and ash.
Not from a single ship, though, takes a couple distributed around for the entire planet to be liquified.

In Liberty's Crusade, Liberty and the crew of the Norad are witness to the first contact with the Protoss, said contact consisted of the protoss warping into orbit of Mar Sara closer than any human ship would ever dare jump, and instantly burning everything to ash, burning the ash, and then burning the ground beneath it.
All that could be seen from the bridge of the Norad was a huge planet covered in ash clouds and glowing orange scars on the surface marking where the cities used to be, now replaced with magma.

Even with all of this destruction, the process is very creative. Once the planet cools down, it can be terraformed and is once again habitable, and the liquifying and re-solidifying of the planet has led to the formation of many strange new minerals in vast quantities.
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

PostSubject: Re: The thread where I discuss whatever I want with whoever I want   The thread where I discuss whatever I want with whoever I want - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 11:38 pm

But what I'm saying is that Eclipse can do the same thing, and it has other weapons (many, many other weapons).

Anyway, first let me make it clear that I hold nothing aginst either of you. Second, the Eclipse was a flagship. The Carrier is a standard high level ship. Third, I haven't even begun to bring in our flagships, and fourth, no protoss unit ever dies in combat.

Last edited by Keon on Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: The thread where I discuss whatever I want with whoever I want   The thread where I discuss whatever I want with whoever I want - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 11:41 pm

Keon wrote:
[quote="Last_Jedi_Standing"

Anyway, first let me make it clear that I hold nothing aginst either of you. Second, the Eclipse was a flagship. The Carrier is a standard high level ship. Third, I haven't even begun to bring in our flagships, and fourth, no protoss unit ever dies in combat.[/quote]

Except the dragoons ( or Immortals or Stalkers )

...and Archons, that's actually three protoss dying at once, but not much can stand up to an archon in the matter of ground units.

And that's just your standard Archon, don't make me bring Ulrezaj into the mix because he will simply end all life.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: The thread where I discuss whatever I want with whoever I want   The thread where I discuss whatever I want with whoever I want - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 11:41 pm

The thread where I discuss whatever I want with whoever I want - Page 6 Minimall

Protoss seem like sadists.

But then again, think. Grunts make babies so fast the Covenant has to have birth control. Perhaps Grunt = Ranged Zergling? Just a thought..

e: I don't think this will go either way, lol. None of the facts provided are based on concrete evidence, and since the only evidence is provided ingame for both games there's not enough information to correctly match them up.
Back to top Go down
hiloser12221

PostSubject: Re: The thread where I discuss whatever I want with whoever I want   The thread where I discuss whatever I want with whoever I want - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 11:49 pm

Ok, to call all you narps out on the Halo stuff....the super carrier gets raped by the MAC cannons on the Orbital Defense Platforms so even if Noble Team didn't plant the bomb it wouldn't have mattered. And if you recall, more came out of orbit after it was destroyed. And in Halo 3, they didn't glass half of Africa, that was an exageration by Lord Hord. Also, the plasma launcer on the Assualt and Supercarriers, as well as the Battlecruiser (Which i made a model of, its on the forums) can change between the wide beam used for glassing as well as a thing narrow beam used for sniping enemy ships.
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: The thread where I discuss whatever I want with whoever I want   The thread where I discuss whatever I want with whoever I want - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 11:53 pm

Quote :
e: I don't think this will go either way, lol. None of the facts provided are based on concrete evidence, and since the only evidence is provided ingame for both games there's not enough information to correctly match them up.

Fact: Protoss are inately physically superior to both humans and spartans. Their tall frame is built for speed and power, as well as agility.

Fact: Protoss are born telepaths, and telekinetics with practice.

Fact: Even with their physical superiority, they pack cybernetic implants to improve themselves even further.

Fact: Protoss shields are far superior to Covenant shields. An Elite's shields will fail after a few hits from a regular battle rifle firing regular rounds.
Protoss shields can take several hits from a C-14 Impaler rifle, the kind of round that goes right through a tank's armor, and is usually fired not from your own hands but from the big metallic hands of your CMC-600 combat armor.

Fact: Protoss learn martial arts that take decades to comprehend, and that have been developed over centuries.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: The thread where I discuss whatever I want with whoever I want   The thread where I discuss whatever I want with whoever I want - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 11:54 pm

hiloser12221 wrote:
Ok, to call all you narps out on the Halo stuff....the super carrier gets raped by the MAC cannons on the Orbital Defense Platforms so even if Noble Team didn't plant the bomb it wouldn't have mattered. And if you recall, more came out of orbit after it was destroyed. And in Halo 3, they didn't glass half of Africa, that was an exageration by Lord Hord. Also, the plasma launcer on the Assualt and Supercarriers, as well as the Battlecruiser (Which i made a model of, its on the forums) can change between the wide beam used for glassing as well as a thing narrow beam used for sniping enemy ships.

If you're a fellow Halo fan you should be helping me, not pointing out holes in my argument No

The Supercarrier was doing fine iirc until the slipspace bomb showed up. Any stations that may have fired would have been quickly silenced by, as you said, 'sniping' with the energy projectors, just like the Battlecruiser that showed up later in the book Fall of Reach. Secondly, it wasn't an exaggeration. While they had meant well, plasma isn't exactly the most precise or easily controlled projectile. In addition, R'tas Vadum didn't expressively deny the claim either.

Quote :

Fact: Protoss are inately physically superior to both humans and spartans. Their tall frame is built for speed and power, as well as agility.

Fact: Even with their physical superiority, they pack cybernetic implants to improve themselves even further.

Fact: Protoss shields are far superior to Covenant shields. An Elite's shields will fail after a few hits from a regular battle rifle firing regular rounds.
Protoss shields can take several hits from a C-14 Impaler rifle, the kind of round that goes right through a tank's armor, and is usually fired not from your own hands but from the big metallic hands of your CMC-600 combat armor.

Fact: Protoss learn martial arts that take decades to comprehend, and that have been developed over centuries.

Show me where you got this information from. I've browsed over the SC wiki several times early this year and didn't see these. Then again, I'm more of a Zerg that a Protoss tbh, so I wasn't really staring at that section of the site.

But my point still stands. Back up these facts with evidence from the game or books and then I'll believe these are more than speculations farao
Back to top Go down
hiloser12221

PostSubject: Re: The thread where I discuss whatever I want with whoever I want   The thread where I discuss whatever I want with whoever I want - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2012 12:16 am

Tiel wrote:
hiloser12221 wrote:

If you're a fellow Halo fan you should be helping me, not pointing out holes in my argument No

The Supercarrier was doing fine iirc until the slipspace bomb showed up. Any stations that may have fired would have been quickly silenced by, as you said, 'sniping' with the energy projectors, just like the Battlecruiser that showed up later in the book Fall of Reach. Secondly, it wasn't an exaggeration. While they had meant well, plasma isn't exactly the most precise or easily controlled projectile. In addition, R'tas Vadum didn't expressively deny the claim either.

Quote :

Show me where you got this information from. I've browsed over the SC wiki several times early this year and didn't see these. Then again, I'm more of a Zerg that a Protoss tbh, so I wasn't really staring at that section of the site.

But my point still stands. Back up these facts with evidence from the game or books and then I'll believe these are more than speculations farao
It is known fact that the only glassed the city of voi...
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: The thread where I discuss whatever I want with whoever I want   The thread where I discuss whatever I want with whoever I want - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2012 12:26 am

This is self-evident by any analysis of their physiology and vastly superior size to humans. They are easily up to ten feet tall.

The Dark Templar Saga triology makes a great journey in-depth on protoss history and powers.

This is game, represented most easily by the Cybernetic leg improvements which allow them to charge in SC2, or which allowed them to move a lot faster permanently in SC1. Furthermore, items such as their Psi-Blades are only needed to help focus their own energy into weapons. The more powerful protoss, such as Tassadar, do not actually require the psi-blade tool to focus his energy into a blade emerging from the palm of his hand. This phenomenon can be observed in Liberty's Crusade, as well as in the Dark Templar Saga where Zamara, a most powerful dark templar, focuses energy at the hands of a HUMAN body, not even her own, to create crystal-like projectiles which she hurls at her enemy.

This is also taken from in-game.

This is also mostly present in the Dark Templar Saga, where the human Jacob Ramsey bears witness to several key elements in Protoss history, but also in Liberty's Crusade, where the High Templar and Dark Templar forces collide and eventually unite against the Queen of Blades.

Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

PostSubject: Re: The thread where I discuss whatever I want with whoever I want   The thread where I discuss whatever I want with whoever I want - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2012 12:36 am

Tiel wrote:

Okay.

Protoss are inately superior: Life of 1045 is only "Old", not ancient: Source. Taller: Look at the game. More Powerful: I call beating guys with steel armor and huge guns more powerful, idk about you.

Born Telepaths: They have nerve cords on back of neck that allow for psionics.

Cybernetic Implants: Power Suits, and what about the whole "Stalker"?

Shielding: I don't know about Elites, but an unupgraded zealot's shield can survive a full shot from a sieged tank.

As for martial art: Look at a zealot. Tell me that doesn't take skill.

Edit: Darn you, Pat22!
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: The thread where I discuss whatever I want with whoever I want   The thread where I discuss whatever I want with whoever I want - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2012 12:39 am

Quote :
Those nerve cords are actually only required for a deeper, permanent connection between Protoss, what they call the Khala.

The Dark Templar have severed their own cords in a sign of rebellion against the "unity" of the Khala and out of fear that it would erase their individuality, yet they remain just as telepathic and psionic as any other protoss, they simply cannot experience the deeper bond that is the Khala.

Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: The thread where I discuss whatever I want with whoever I want   The thread where I discuss whatever I want with whoever I want - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2012 12:40 am

You know, it's been QUITE A WHILE since I read the Dark Templar saga and I've forgotten a lot of it.

This conversation has actually sparked within me the envy to read it over again.
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

PostSubject: Re: The thread where I discuss whatever I want with whoever I want   The thread where I discuss whatever I want with whoever I want - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2012 12:41 am

Quote :
Those nerve cords are actually only required for a deeper, permanent connection between Protoss, what they call the Khala.

The Dark Templar have severed their own cords in a sign of rebellion against the "unity" of the Khala and out of fear that it would erase their individuality, yet they remain just as telepathic and psionic as any other protoss, they simply cannot experience the deeper bond that is the Khala.

My mistake. Yes, but it isn't just for the Khala, though it is based on the nerve cord. Anyway, yes.
Back to top Go down
hiloser12221

PostSubject: Re: The thread where I discuss whatever I want with whoever I want   The thread where I discuss whatever I want with whoever I want - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2012 12:42 am

When you guys mention these elites and zealots, are you talking about halo stuff or SC stuff?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The thread where I discuss whatever I want with whoever I want   The thread where I discuss whatever I want with whoever I want - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The thread where I discuss whatever I want with whoever I want
Page 6 of 19Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Futurecraft Forums :: General Area :: Off-Topic Area-
Jump to: