Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!
 
HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Share | 
 

 Salvaging and Asteroids

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
scout37
Recruit
Recruit
avatar

Posts : 292
Join date : 2012-05-14
Location : Earth, in the most powerful and globally dominating country on the planet

PostSubject: Salvaging and Asteroids   Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:16 pm

If this mod is going to allow servers to grow as an economical power throught the minecraftian universe, there needs to be more than just combat armadas fighting one another.

This is where salvage and Asteroids come into play.

For salvage, ou need to be piloting a Salvage Ship in order to salvage the entire wreck. Salvageable wrecks would spawn randomly throught space, and be the destroyed forms of other ships that have been built. The damage to the ship is random, there could be just chunks of a ships hull floating in space, or there could be near-fully functional and only nead repairs to life support. Salvage ships can latch onto these wrecks and bring them to other servers, where they can either be disassembled and used for your self, sell off the usable parts, auction them away if they're intact enough, or use it for yourself to improve your ship.

Then there are asteroids. These would be very large chunks of rock floating in space, almost the same as the End, only without endstone. These asteroids would contain large amounts of iron and other metals (still no diamonds Twisted Evil ). To mine these asteroids there are several aproaches one could take.

1. Land your ship/shuttle/dropship on the surface, mine for a bit, and leave
it works, but is somewhat inefficient

2.New Ship: Mining Vessel- these would be moderately large ships that contain specially made tractor beams that can lift out valuable materials in a moderately large area, at a fair pace (as in quite profitable after a half hour irl)

3. Stationary Mining Facility- The third ethod would be to actually build a mining station on the asteroids. This can be done by taking a mining vessel, landing it, and then engaging the structure mode, which anchors it to the surface of the asteroid. The mining beams will eventually ramove all valuable materials.

YOu would also be able to upgrade these things with features such as a fusion smelter, which melts down the ore that you mine with a ship or facility.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hierarch Fenway
DEV
DEV
avatar

Posts : 1196
Join date : 2011-10-26
Location : |]||o|{o}-H--X-)|(

PostSubject: Re: Salvaging and Asteroids   Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:54 pm

There would have to be a limit on ship reclaiming though and classifications... It wouldn't be fair if, say, I was flying through space in a very small frigate, and find a Super-Dreadnaught floating through space with only minor damage (small holes in hull, no fuel, no energy), would it?

And there will be asteroids. I believe this has been discussed before. Also, there will likely be special asteroids...

1.) Tiberium-like asteroid. Partly for the hilarity of a noob landing on it, partly for the minerals. If you've played Command & Conquer, you should know about it. It crystallizes all metal and stuff near it, very fast. Like, "Abandon ship before it gets y-ARGH" fast. Full of minerals, mining it would be difficult.

2.) Phazon-like substance asteroid/seed. These fly through space at abnormal speeds. They are MASSIVE (2 KM across) and implant Phazon on whatevery they hit. They may hit planets, corrupting the planet, starting at it's impact point. This corruption will spread slowly. This may not happen, but if it does, only to advanced empires. It also generates a LOT of energy, and mining it can be useful for fuel and energy purposes.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
scout37
Recruit
Recruit
avatar

Posts : 292
Join date : 2012-05-14
Location : Earth, in the most powerful and globally dominating country on the planet

PostSubject: Re: Salvaging and Asteroids   Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:07 pm

Fenway wrote:
There would have to be a limit on ship reclaiming though and classifications... It wouldn't be fair if, say, I was flying through space in a very small frigate, and find a Super-Dreadnaught floating through space with only minor damage (small holes in hull, no fuel, no energy), would it?

And there will be asteroids. I believe this has been discussed before. Also, there will likely be special asteroids...

1.) Tiberium-like asteroid. Partly for the hilarity of a noob landing on it, partly for the minerals. If you've played Command & Conquer, you should know about it. It crystallizes all metal and stuff near it, very fast. Like, "Abandon ship before it gets y-ARGH" fast. Full of minerals, mining it would be difficult.

2.) Phazon-like substance asteroid/seed. These fly through space at abnormal speeds. They are MASSIVE (2 KM across) and implant Phazon on whatevery they hit. They may hit planets, corrupting the planet, starting at it's impact point. This corruption will spread slowly. This may not happen, but if it does, only to advanced empires. It also generates a LOT of energy, and mining it can be useful for fuel and energy purposes.


Yes. Mainly, a salvage ship would only be able to salvage something that is smaller than the ship itself. ANd no super-massive ships would spawn, unless...

Abandoned super-massive dreadnauts have terifying aliens living on board, who can easily kill you. this way it would take vast effort to salvage it, and making it near-impossible to salvage the entire ship.

As for the Phazon asteroid, it kind of sounds like Tiberium. I like it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Last_Jedi_Standing
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 3033
Join date : 2012-02-19
Age : 105
Location : Coruscant

PostSubject: Re: Salvaging and Asteroids   Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:54 pm

Option 4: Construction masticators like they use in Star Wars. They're giant machines that you tow asteroids into. They then melt it down, sort it's component elements, and extrude things like deck plating and armor. You have to bring the asteroids to them, but if you set one up in an asteroid ring with a few automated towships you'll get a lot of material very efficiently.

_________________
Spoiler:
 

Back to top Go down
View user profile
scout37
Recruit
Recruit
avatar

Posts : 292
Join date : 2012-05-14
Location : Earth, in the most powerful and globally dominating country on the planet

PostSubject: Re: Salvaging and Asteroids   Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:18 am

Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:
Option 4: Construction masticators like they use in Star Wars. They're giant machines that you tow asteroids into. They then melt it down, sort it's component elements, and extrude things like deck plating and armor. You have to bring the asteroids to them, but if you set one up in an asteroid ring with a few automated towships you'll get a lot of material very efficiently.

That sounds like a great idea! it will make it more feasable for advanced servers to construct large fleets, as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ivan2006
General
General
avatar

Posts : 2096
Join date : 2012-05-08
Age : 19
Location : The Dungeon.

PostSubject: Re: Salvaging and Asteroids   Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:00 pm

scout37 wrote:
Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:
Option 4: Construction masticators like they use in Star Wars. They're giant machines that you tow asteroids into. They then melt it down, sort it's component elements, and extrude things like deck plating and armor. You have to bring the asteroids to them, but if you set one up in an asteroid ring with a few automated towships you'll get a lot of material very efficiently.

That sounds like a great idea! it will make it more feasable for advanced servers to construct large fleets, as well.

Sounds like the masticator needs to be larger than the asteroids themselves.
Would only work as an endgame option because it would be awfully difficult to get the materials.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Laibach
General
General
avatar

Posts : 2024
Join date : 2012-01-23
Age : 66
Location : Frozen Fields

PostSubject: Re: Salvaging and Asteroids   Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:10 pm

Fenway wrote:
There would have to be a limit on ship reclaiming though and classifications... It wouldn't be fair if, say, I was flying through space in a very small frigate, and find a Super-Dreadnaught floating through space with only minor damage (small holes in hull, no fuel, no energy), would it?



as long as it wasn't spawned by the world gen it would be fair


it would be interesting to have some sort of ship-emptying weapon, like the xenomorphs from alien or something.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hierarch Fenway
DEV
DEV
avatar

Posts : 1196
Join date : 2011-10-26
Location : |]||o|{o}-H--X-)|(

PostSubject: Re: Salvaging and Asteroids   Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:07 pm

scout37 wrote:
Fenway wrote:
There would have to be a limit on ship reclaiming though and classifications... It wouldn't be fair if, say, I was flying through space in a very small frigate, and find a Super-Dreadnaught floating through space with only minor damage (small holes in hull, no fuel, no energy), would it?

And there will be asteroids. I believe this has been discussed before. Also, there will likely be special asteroids...

1.) Tiberium-like asteroid. Partly for the hilarity of a noob landing on it, partly for the minerals. If you've played Command & Conquer, you should know about it. It crystallizes all metal and stuff near it, very fast. Like, "Abandon ship before it gets y-ARGH" fast. Full of minerals, mining it would be difficult.

2.) Phazon-like substance asteroid/seed. These fly through space at abnormal speeds. They are MASSIVE (2 KM across) and implant Phazon on whatevery they hit. They may hit planets, corrupting the planet, starting at it's impact point. This corruption will spread slowly. This may not happen, but if it does, only to advanced empires. It also generates a LOT of energy, and mining it can be useful for fuel and energy purposes.


Yes. Mainly, a salvage ship would only be able to salvage something that is smaller than the ship itself. ANd no super-massive ships would spawn, unless...

Abandoned super-massive dreadnauts have terifying aliens living on board, who can easily kill you. this way it would take vast effort to salvage it, and making it near-impossible to salvage the entire ship.

As for the Phazon asteroid, it kind of sounds like Tiberium. I like it.

Did you not see the Tiberium-like asteroid one? DID YOU NOT? Phazon is not like Tiberium. It doesn't absorb things, it kills them, and corrupts what it can't kill. And spreads slowly, like an organism. Destroy source, poof, all gone.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cheatmaster
Recruit
Recruit
avatar

Posts : 258
Join date : 2012-04-30
Location : Well... Here

PostSubject: Re: Salvaging and Asteroids   Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:24 am

Here are some more Asteroid Suggestion

1.The ICe asteroid classic weak and useless can contain Deuterium (Heavy Water)

2.The Heavy Asteroid: contains very heavy and dense materials giving them an own gravitation which can trap small ships.But also contains radioactive materials

3.The Bio Asteroid contains very dangerous bacterias and virusses which can be used to develop Bioweapons.

4.The Crystal Asteroid will be made out of serveral Crystaline structures which boost your development for data Crystals.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ACH0225
General
General
avatar

Posts : 2346
Join date : 2012-01-01
Location : I might be somewhere, I might not.

PostSubject: Re: Salvaging and Asteroids   Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:42 pm

Cool3306 wrote:
Here are some more Asteroid Suggestion

1.The ICe asteroid classic weak and useless can contain Deuterium (Heavy Water)

2.The Heavy Asteroid: contains very heavy and dense materials giving them an own gravitation which can trap small ships.But also contains radioactive materials

3.The Bio Asteroid contains very dangerous bacterias and virusses which can be used to develop Bioweapons.

4.The Crystal Asteroid will be made out of serveral Crystaline structures which boost your development for data Crystals.

1- Useless... And duetrium is a special kind of hydrogen, not heavy water.
2- Basic asteroid, I doubt the DEVs can add gravity.
3- Why? Are bio weapons even being added?
4- I think something like this was already suggested.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scout37
Recruit
Recruit
avatar

Posts : 292
Join date : 2012-05-14
Location : Earth, in the most powerful and globally dominating country on the planet

PostSubject: Re: Salvaging and Asteroids   Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:39 pm

no, no different "types" of asteroids. I would expect it that every asteroid has a random amount of three different ores (and still no diamonds Twisted Evil ) so that (most) asteroids will have a high concentration in iron, others may have elevated gold deposits, and a few will have above-average levels of titanium.

I think for crystals comets/meteors would be better to be sources for it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hierarch Fenway
DEV
DEV
avatar

Posts : 1196
Join date : 2011-10-26
Location : |]||o|{o}-H--X-)|(

PostSubject: Re: Salvaging and Asteroids   Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:23 pm

We are adding a gravity, thingy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cheatmaster
Recruit
Recruit
avatar

Posts : 258
Join date : 2012-04-30
Location : Well... Here

PostSubject: Re: Salvaging and Asteroids   Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:27 am

ACH0225 wrote:
Cool3306 wrote:
Here are some more Asteroid Suggestion

1.The ICe asteroid classic weak and useless can contain Deuterium (Heavy Water)

2.The Heavy Asteroid: contains very heavy and dense materials giving them an own gravitation which can trap small ships.But also contains radioactive materials

3.The Bio Asteroid contains very dangerous bacterias and virusses which can be used to develop Bioweapons.

4.The Crystal Asteroid will be made out of serveral Crystaline structures which boost your development for data Crystals.

1- Useless... And duetrium is a special kind of hydrogen, not heavy water.
2- Basic asteroid, I doubt the DEVs can add gravity.
3- Why? Are bio weapons even being added?
4- I think something like this was already suggested.

1-Water with deuterium is heavy so its called Heavy Water
2-They can XDDD
3-Well if they are going to be added its usefull
4-Didn´t notice that
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scout37
Recruit
Recruit
avatar

Posts : 292
Join date : 2012-05-14
Location : Earth, in the most powerful and globally dominating country on the planet

PostSubject: Re: Salvaging and Asteroids   Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:32 am

Cool3306 wrote:
ACH0225 wrote:
Cool3306 wrote:
Here are some more Asteroid Suggestion

1.The ICe asteroid classic weak and useless can contain Deuterium (Heavy Water)

2.The Heavy Asteroid: contains very heavy and dense materials giving them an own gravitation which can trap small ships.But also contains radioactive materials

3.The Bio Asteroid contains very dangerous bacterias and virusses which can be used to develop Bioweapons.

4.The Crystal Asteroid will be made out of serveral Crystaline structures which boost your development for data Crystals.

1- Useless... And duetrium is a special kind of hydrogen, not heavy water.
2- Basic asteroid, I doubt the DEVs can add gravity.
3- Why? Are bio weapons even being added?
4- I think something like this was already suggested.

1-Water with deuterium is heavy so its called Heavy Water
2-They can XDDD
3-Well if they are going to be added its usefull
4-Didn´t notice that

on topic now please. and relate it to salvaging.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cheatmaster
Recruit
Recruit
avatar

Posts : 258
Join date : 2012-04-30
Location : Well... Here

PostSubject: Re: Salvaging and Asteroids   Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:33 am

This was completely on topic I spoke about asteroids or not?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scout37
Recruit
Recruit
avatar

Posts : 292
Join date : 2012-05-14
Location : Earth, in the most powerful and globally dominating country on the planet

PostSubject: Re: Salvaging and Asteroids   Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:39 am

Cool3306 wrote:
This was completely on topic I spoke about asteroids or not?
it was on topic, but a little bit off. It was more of a response only relating to fenway, and i coud easily see it turning into a feature fight.

Also, mainly its that i wanted alot more input onto the salvaging aspect.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Salvaging and Asteroids   

Back to top Go down
 
Salvaging and Asteroids
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Futurecraft Forums :: Development :: Idea Center-
Jump to: