Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

A few general questions from a newbie

Go down 
+5
Commander Error
fr0stbyte124
Buggy1997123
tonyri
Misticblade7
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Misticblade7

A few general questions from a newbie Empty
PostSubject: A few general questions from a newbie   A few general questions from a newbie Icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 6:36 pm

A few questions about the work so far:

When a ship is damaged in combat (or in any other way), would it be possible for it to have a sort of crash/emergency landing on a nearby planet, or would it just kind of be immobilized in space waiting to be destroyed?

Also, is fr0stbyte a coding god? Copernicus is just... I've never seen anything so amazing in all my life.

I've looked around at some of the recent topics on this forum a fair bit, but haven't seen much information or discussion on what sorts of machines and/or basic tools might be implemented for standard terrestrial usage. I'm wondering about things like IndustrialCraft's Macerators, advanced furnaces, electric tools, jetpacks... Things like this. I'm sure there's probably been some discussion on this topic somewhere, and I'm just not noticing it.

Has there been discussion on ship to ship communication?

It's my first post here, please be gentle. Razz
Back to top Go down
tonyri
tonyri

PostSubject: Re: A few general questions from a newbie   A few general questions from a newbie Icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 7:45 pm

Fr0stbyte isn't a coding god. He is a member of the species Daubentonia madagascariensis, if you look at his avatar. Also, I don't think that there will be any emergency computer that takes over if the ship is damaged. Plus, by the time you decided that you wanted to leave, your ship would already be in scraps. Basiclly, your ship will last as long as your shields last. Once those are gone, one hit to either the bridge, engines, generators, life support, communications, fuel, or weapons bays will cripple your ship beyond repair.
Back to top Go down
Misticblade7

PostSubject: Re: A few general questions from a newbie   A few general questions from a newbie Icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 8:15 pm

tonyri wrote:
Fr0stbyte isn't a coding god. He is a member of the species Daubentonia madagascariensis, if you look at his avatar. Also, I don't think that there will be any emergency computer that takes over if the ship is damaged. Plus, by the time you decided that you wanted to leave, your ship would already be in scraps. Basiclly, your ship will last as long as your shields last. Once those are gone, one hit to either the bridge, engines, generators, life support, communications, fuel, or weapons bays will cripple your ship beyond repair.

Beyond repair? D:

I was kind of hoping for something like this:

Say your cruise ship is attacked by a bunch of frigates. You might manage to defeat them all, but your ship is horribly damaged, so it might slowly descend to a nearby planet, probably losing quite a few blocks on impact with the surface, but repairs would be possible to make, just difficult, but it would be cheaper than starting from scratch. In a scenario like this, the escape pods would be more for if your ship is getting hijacked, or if you're facing a scenario of guaranteed absolute destruction. Like a dreadnought saying hello.
Back to top Go down
tonyri
tonyri

PostSubject: Re: A few general questions from a newbie   A few general questions from a newbie Icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 8:24 pm

Misticblade7 wrote:
tonyri wrote:

Beyond repair? D:

Say your cruise ship is attacked by a bunch of frigates. You might manage to defeat them all, but your ship is horribly damaged, so it might slowly descend to a nearby planet, probably losing quite a few blocks on impact with the surface, but repairs would be possible to make, just difficult, but it would be cheaper than starting from scratch. In a scenario like this, the escape pods would be more for if your ship is getting hijacked, or if you're facing a scenario of guaranteed absolute destruction. Like a dreadnought saying hello.
You might be able to land, but you would fly manually, and only if you have engines with power, and you don't have holes in your bridge. One shot to the bridge will suck out all the oxygen and kill every pilot and commander on board.
Back to top Go down
Buggy1997123
DEV
DEV
Buggy1997123

PostSubject: Re: A few general questions from a newbie   A few general questions from a newbie Icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 9:27 pm

tonyri wrote:
Misticblade7 wrote:
tonyri wrote:

Beyond repair? D:

You might be able to land, but you would fly manually, and only if you have engines with power, and you don't have holes in your bridge. One shot to the bridge will suck out all the oxygen and kill every pilot and commander on board.

I would probably put the bridge in the center of the ship, right next to the main fusion reactor. Why? If someone can hit the bridge they would probably go for the reactor anyway, there's always the backup targeting systems but without the main reactor you arn't going to be firing anything very strong.
Back to top Go down
tonyri
tonyri

PostSubject: Re: A few general questions from a newbie   A few general questions from a newbie Icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 10:02 pm

Buggy1997123 wrote:
tonyri wrote:
Misticblade7 wrote:
tonyri wrote:

Beyond repair? D:

I would probably put the bridge in the center of the ship, right next to the main fusion reactor. Why? If someone can hit the bridge they would probably go for the reactor anyway, there's always the backup targeting systems but without the main reactor you arn't going to be firing anything very strong.
Then you are going to need a veeeeerrrrrryyyyy thick windshield.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: A few general questions from a newbie   A few general questions from a newbie Icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 11:08 pm

I've drafted a new technique for calculating massive collisions with the terrain. If you lose power, you're gonna be a pyrotechnics show. It's going to be great.
Back to top Go down
Buggy1997123
DEV
DEV
Buggy1997123

PostSubject: Re: A few general questions from a newbie   A few general questions from a newbie Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 12:20 am

fr0stbyte124 wrote:
I've drafted a new technique for calculating massive collisions with the terrain. If you lose power, you're gonna be a pyrotechnics show. It's going to be great.
Any hope for a log post describing it?

As for ship destruction, im pretty sure its going to be on a block per block basis. If you want to blow the engines your gona have to destroy the fuel lines. Or you could just completly vaporize the engines. If you take out the bridge, you could disable the weapons, sure. If their controlled from the bridge. The bridge could be fake. Or there could be no bridge. Or 5 of them. Or 5 fake ones and all weapons are individually controlled by targeting computers.
Back to top Go down
tonyri
tonyri

PostSubject: Re: A few general questions from a newbie   A few general questions from a newbie Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 12:50 am

Buggy1997123 wrote:
fr0stbyte124 wrote:
Any hope for a log post describing it?

As for ship destruction, im pretty sure its going to be on a block per block basis. If you want to blow the engines your gona have to destroy the fuel lines. Or you could just completly vaporize the engines. If you take out the bridge, you could disable the weapons, sure. If their controlled from the bridge. The bridge could be fake. Or there could be no bridge. Or 5 of them. Or 5 fake ones and all weapons are individually controlled by targeting computers.
I'm pretty sure that giving each and every weapon on your ship a mind of its own isn't such a good idea.
Back to top Go down
Commander Error
Sergeant
Sergeant
Commander Error

PostSubject: Re: A few general questions from a newbie   A few general questions from a newbie Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 10:38 am

tonyri wrote:
One shot to the bridge will suck out all the oxygen and kill every pilot and commander on board.

Space.....suit?
Back to top Go down
tonyri
tonyri

PostSubject: Re: A few general questions from a newbie   A few general questions from a newbie Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 1:19 pm

TheLordofError wrote:
tonyri wrote:
One shot to the bridge will suck out all the oxygen and kill every pilot and commander on board.

Space.....suit?
Well, I'm assuming that a space suit will act like a pumpkin and make it harder to see, just like in real life. It probably would also have a limited supply of oxygen, so wearing it long term will cause you to suffocate in your suit. There would also most likely be some mobility issues. You shouldn't be able to sprint, run, or even jog in normal gravity in a space suit.
Back to top Go down
Misticblade7

PostSubject: Re: A few general questions from a newbie   A few general questions from a newbie Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 2:06 pm

Okay, these are all well and good, but I've seen no answer to my third question.

I've looked around at some of the recent topics on this forum a fair bit, but haven't seen much information or discussion on what sorts of machines and/or basic tools might be implemented for standard terrestrial usage. I'm wondering about things like IndustrialCraft's Macerators, advanced furnaces, electric tools, jetpacks... Things like this. I'm sure there's probably been some discussion on this topic somewhere, and I'm just not noticing it.

Enlighten me? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: A few general questions from a newbie   A few general questions from a newbie Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 5:31 pm

A lot of it hasn't been decided on yet. The way we've been doing this is that the game engine mods are getting developed first, and in the meantime other features and implementations are getting brainstormed. Once the engine mods are done, we will start work actually making new content. That's not my department, though, so I haven't really been keeping track of what all is being planned.
Back to top Go down
ectrimble20
DEV
DEV
ectrimble20

PostSubject: Re: A few general questions from a newbie   A few general questions from a newbie Icon_minitimeSun Dec 25, 2011 2:16 am

As frost stated, much hasn't been set in concrete, we don't use stone around here, its the damn future. I'll be doing a bit of the item programming, however I've shifted my main focus right now away from making dumb little things to making a database connection hook to allow us to lay the ground works for our inter-server travel/updating system that will be crucial for making this mod go from "oh cool" to "OMGWTFBBQ!!!!!!!"

So if you people don't mind, quit making up crap for me to add later, we'll cross the bridge of who gets the personal teleports and their dumb little laser beams when I get it to where people can go from server to server and back again without blowing up or losing everything.

Oh yeah, Merry X-mas
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: A few general questions from a newbie   A few general questions from a newbie Icon_minitimeSun Dec 25, 2011 2:33 am

Are you...are you implying the first alpha build won't prioritize the rocket-powered saddle? That's madness!
Back to top Go down
Hierarch Fenway
DEV
DEV
Hierarch Fenway

PostSubject: Re: A few general questions from a newbie   A few general questions from a newbie Icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 7:20 pm

No.

THIS

IS...

No, wait, this is certainly NOT Sparta.

THIS IS FUTURECRAFT!
Back to top Go down
tonyri
tonyri

PostSubject: Re: A few general questions from a newbie   A few general questions from a newbie Icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 11:46 am

Fenway wrote:
No.

THIS

IS...

No, wait, this is certainly NOT Sparta.

THIS IS FUTURECRAFT!
No, this is Patrick.
Back to top Go down
Shiva
Admin
Shiva

PostSubject: Re: A few general questions from a newbie   A few general questions from a newbie Icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 1:56 am

Guys...

At any rate, as ectrimble has said - quit with the requests! And Buggy, you need to work on your Poll in the Idea Center, add in the new ideas and such...
Back to top Go down
https://futurecraft.forumotion.com
Buggy1997123
DEV
DEV
Buggy1997123

PostSubject: Re: A few general questions from a newbie   A few general questions from a newbie Icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 3:14 am

Shiva wrote:
Guys...

At any rate, as ectrimble has said - quit with the requests! And Buggy, you need to work on your Poll in the Idea Center, add in the new ideas and such...
Actually, Mackeroth has a massive, detailed post in the works about most of the details of Futurecraft, so I let that die untill we see it.
Back to top Go down
Beaner
Beaner

PostSubject: Re: A few general questions from a newbie   A few general questions from a newbie Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 12:49 pm

tonyri wrote:
*snip*Once those are gone, one hit to either the bridge, engines, generators, life support, communications, fuel, or weapons bays will cripple your ship beyond repair.

To be fair, hitting communications wouldn't cripple you, you'd just be unable to tell neighboring ships or your home planet of the attack. Also, if you hit life support while a few people had suits on, and they were close to a planet, that would just mean that a majority of the crew would die, but the ship'd be fine! /end rant
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A few general questions from a newbie   A few general questions from a newbie Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A few general questions from a newbie
Page 1 of 1