Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Reverse Relativity Drive

Go down 
+7
The Schmetterling
scout37
Avenger_7
Cheatmaster
Danice123
Laibach
dimitriye98
11 posters
AuthorMessage
dimitriye98

Reverse Relativity Drive Empty
PostSubject: Reverse Relativity Drive   Reverse Relativity Drive Icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2012 9:47 am

A Reverse Relativity Drive (henceforth "RR Drive") is a method of FTL travel I thought up. As shown in this article, just by standing still (on the Earth), you are moving approximately 2.1 million kilometers per hour. This speed is relativistic and therefore subject to time dilation. What a RR Drive does is it literally SLOWS DOWN! Once at a near-zero speed, relativistic effects should be such that time for the ship should be faster than time for the universe and therefore the ship should be able to move much faster comparative to the rest of the universe. However now you have the problem that people inside will age faster. This is corrected by a rotating electromagnetic field which is sustained inside the ship, slowing down time for the ship's occupants. Once the ship nears where it wishes to go, it simple hitches a ride on the gravitational field of a wormhole (which is actually equivalent to that of a black hole) and reaccelerates. It deactivates the rotating magnetic field and everything is good.
Back to top Go down
Laibach
General
General
Laibach

PostSubject: Re: Reverse Relativity Drive   Reverse Relativity Drive Icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2012 12:23 pm

Wow, thats a pretty good idea (well, not for real life, lol) but really original (from what I've read anyway)

In short:

FIRST!!!!11!!1
Back to top Go down
Danice123
DEV
DEV
Danice123

PostSubject: Re: Reverse Relativity Drive   Reverse Relativity Drive Icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2012 2:22 pm

Wow. Mind blown.
Back to top Go down
http://wbcentral.com
Cheatmaster
Recruit
Recruit
Cheatmaster

PostSubject: Re: Reverse Relativity Drive   Reverse Relativity Drive Icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2012 3:59 pm

So we just take the Reality....... and move it to another place!
Back to top Go down
Avenger_7
Sergeant
Sergeant
Avenger_7

PostSubject: Re: Reverse Relativity Drive   Reverse Relativity Drive Icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2012 5:02 pm

Cool3306 wrote:
So we just take the Reality....... and move it to another place!

Lol, I like this one Razz

Obligatory: faulty logic in the OP.
Back to top Go down
scout37
Recruit
Recruit
scout37

Location : Earth, in the most powerful and globally dominating country on the planet

PostSubject: Re: Reverse Relativity Drive   Reverse Relativity Drive Icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2012 5:53 pm

Wow, id like to go from San Fran to D.C> in three minutes. Saves alot on air fare, id say.
Back to top Go down
Laibach
General
General
Laibach

PostSubject: Re: Reverse Relativity Drive   Reverse Relativity Drive Icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2012 9:56 pm

I would never want to go to either of those places XD
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: Reverse Relativity Drive   Reverse Relativity Drive Icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2012 7:09 am

What. The. Sukolov.

That is the most wackiest idea ever. Also, while more realistic then some others I've seen, it is unlikely to be added.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: Reverse Relativity Drive   Reverse Relativity Drive Icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2012 8:43 am

I agree. Interstellar travel should not be handled by troll physics.
Back to top Go down
Laibach
General
General
Laibach

PostSubject: Re: Reverse Relativity Drive   Reverse Relativity Drive Icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2012 12:13 pm

Reverse Relativity Drive Einste10

Die problem?
Back to top Go down
dimitriye98

PostSubject: Re: Reverse Relativity Drive   Reverse Relativity Drive Icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2012 1:07 am

fr0stbyte124 wrote:
I agree. Interstellar travel should not be handled by troll physics.

What do you mean troll physics?

Edit: Goddamn, necroed my own thread. Keep forgetting that while I was on a a half-month road trip, time moved on for the rest of the world.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: Reverse Relativity Drive   Reverse Relativity Drive Icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2012 8:56 am

dimitriye98 wrote:
Keep forgetting that while I was on a a half-month road trip, time moved on for the rest of the world.
Oh, you must have been traveling east, then. Smile

As for why it's troll physics. For starters, we're not moving at relativistic speeds. Even counting the speed of the galaxy moving through the universe, we need to still be moving more than 50x faster just to get to the point where Newtonian physics aren't reliable, and faster still before we see any appreciable time dilation.

But even assuming there was time dilation, your apparent speed to the outside observer is correct, and you would be appearing to move (in one direction only) at 2.1M km/h. Plus, since we're not in relativistic levels yet, the energy required to accelerate in one direction is still basically the same as required to decelerate, so you're not getting any real bonus in this scenario. The only one who's perspective of the passage of time would be different would be the pilot's, and you just said you wanted to counter that out...with magnets (fucking how do they work?)

So yeah, misuse of actual laws of physics to take advantage of phenomenon that wouldn't work in actual physics = troll physics. Not that there's anything wrong with that in science fiction, so long as it's not mistaken for the sort of science fiction that's based in science fact.
Back to top Go down
Commander Error
Sergeant
Sergeant
Commander Error

PostSubject: Re: Reverse Relativity Drive   Reverse Relativity Drive Icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2012 10:49 am

To condense:

"waves hands" we have a new amazing FTL drive!

Last edited by Commander Error on Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dimitriye98

PostSubject: Re: Reverse Relativity Drive   Reverse Relativity Drive Icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2012 12:27 pm

fr0stbyte124 wrote:
dimitriye98 wrote:
Keep forgetting that while I was on a a half-month road trip, time moved on for the rest of the world.
Oh, you must have been traveling east, then. Smile

As for why it's troll physics. For starters, we're not moving at relativistic speeds. Even counting the speed of the galaxy moving through the universe, we need to still be moving more than 50x faster just to get to the point where Newtonian physics aren't reliable, and faster still before we see any appreciable time dilation.

But even assuming there was time dilation, your apparent speed to the outside observer is correct, and you would be appearing to move (in one direction only) at 2.1M km/h. Plus, since we're not in relativistic levels yet, the energy required to accelerate in one direction is still basically the same as required to decelerate, so you're not getting any real bonus in this scenario. The only one who's perspective of the passage of time would be different would be the pilot's, and you just said you wanted to counter that out...with magnets (fucking how do they work?)

So yeah, misuse of actual laws of physics to take advantage of phenomenon that wouldn't work in actual physics = troll physics. Not that there's anything wrong with that in science fiction, so long as it's not mistaken for the sort of science fiction that's based in science fact.

Yeah, I did actually notice that, was hoping for a hand wave of some sort, maybe some sort of space anchor? But another problem I just realized is that you would only be able to move toward the origin point of the Hubble expansion. And yes, I guess pretending electro-magnetic fields could affect relativity was too big a stretch. I was hoping that most people here didn't know that much about physics so I could get by with a few big stretches.
Back to top Go down
Commander Error
Sergeant
Sergeant
Commander Error

PostSubject: Re: Reverse Relativity Drive   Reverse Relativity Drive Icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2012 1:59 pm

dimitriye98 wrote:

was hoping for a hand wave of some sort,

*cough* Read above post?
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: Reverse Relativity Drive   Reverse Relativity Drive Icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2012 6:16 pm

dimitriye98 wrote:
Yeah, I did actually notice that, was hoping for a hand wave of some sort, maybe some sort of space anchor? But another problem I just realized is that you would only be able to move toward the origin point of the Hubble expansion. And yes, I guess pretending electro-magnetic fields could affect relativity was too big a stretch. I was hoping that most people here didn't know that much about physics so I could get by with a few big stretches.

Well that's just too bad, cause around here our physics are all based on magic, like god intended.
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: Reverse Relativity Drive   Reverse Relativity Drive Icon_minitimeFri Jun 29, 2012 10:03 pm

fr0stbyte124 wrote:
dimitriye98 wrote:

Well that's just too bad, cause around here our physics are all based on magic, like god intended.

God requires a capital "G", Fr0stbyte.

This discussion is pointless. If anyone thinks this idea has merit, take it to NASA, then take yourself to a mental institution.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Reverse Relativity Drive   Reverse Relativity Drive Icon_minitimeFri Jun 29, 2012 10:04 pm

I demand you cease this haphazard posting at once.
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Reverse Relativity Drive   Reverse Relativity Drive Icon_minitimeFri Jun 29, 2012 10:16 pm

Mackeroth? wrote:
fr0stbyte124 wrote:
dimitriye98 wrote:

God requires a capital "G", Fr0stbyte.
That's a matter of opinion. If you are Christian, you generally refer to your deity as 'God'. If you're talking about male deities in general, you would say 'god'. If you're not Christian but like arguing with them, you refer to their deity as 'god' or 'that @#$%@#&' because it gets a fun reaction.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: Reverse Relativity Drive   Reverse Relativity Drive Icon_minitimeFri Jun 29, 2012 10:27 pm

I always write god lowercase when I'm saying something irreverent, to make that distinction. And I think you might be the first who's ever commented on it, Mack.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reverse Relativity Drive   Reverse Relativity Drive Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Reverse Relativity Drive
Page 1 of 1