Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

ME Kinetic Barriers, GUARDIAN and other Directed Energy Weapons.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

ME Kinetic Barriers, GUARDIAN and other Directed Energy Weapons. Empty
PostSubject: ME Kinetic Barriers, GUARDIAN and other Directed Energy Weapons.   ME Kinetic Barriers, GUARDIAN and other Directed Energy Weapons. Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 3:58 pm

I don't remember who it was, what thread it was in ( probably the scifi franchise thread ) and when it was said, but I had stated that Mass Effect kinetic barriers only worked against projectile weapons and had no effect on energy weapons.

Someone replied to me that that was false, that the Kinetic Barriers worked against GUARDIAN fire and that it was impossible to have a form of energy entirely free of mass.

Well, guess what.
I was reading the codex today ( don't ask why, it just happened ) and it's written clear as day that Kinetic Barriers DO NOT WORK AGAINST GUARDIAN AND OTHER DIRECTED ENERGY WEAPONS and that all Mass Effect ships rely on ablative plating to disperse the effect of energy weapons.

This knocks them right out of the long-past franchise competition since most everyone uses both energy weapons and shields that function against said energy weapons.

/end rant.
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PostSubject: Re: ME Kinetic Barriers, GUARDIAN and other Directed Energy Weapons.   ME Kinetic Barriers, GUARDIAN and other Directed Energy Weapons. Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 4:13 pm

Sins FTW ?
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: ME Kinetic Barriers, GUARDIAN and other Directed Energy Weapons.   ME Kinetic Barriers, GUARDIAN and other Directed Energy Weapons. Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 4:19 pm

Iv121 wrote:
Sins FTW ?

Yuss.

Considering that, other than GUARDIAN weapons, energy weapons are basically entirely absent in the ME universe and that projectile mass effect weapons are the main technology throughout the entire universe, I'm betting my money on their ablative plating not being made to take hits from energy weapons like the ones in Sins.
Back to top Go down
Haycalon
Haycalon

PostSubject: Re: ME Kinetic Barriers, GUARDIAN and other Directed Energy Weapons   ME Kinetic Barriers, GUARDIAN and other Directed Energy Weapons. Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 7:47 pm

While having no ability to deflect energy impacts puts ME at an immediate disadvantage, it does no immediately knock them out of the competition. For one thing, most sci-fi franchises have little to no defense against kinetic energy weapons. And the armor in ME is more powerful than most given the fact of the mass effect technology.

ME probably isn't the most powerful sci-fi franchise, but it certainly cannot be discounted.
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: ME Kinetic Barriers, GUARDIAN and other Directed Energy Weapons.   ME Kinetic Barriers, GUARDIAN and other Directed Energy Weapons. Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 4:13 am

Haycalon wrote:
While having no ability to deflect energy impacts puts ME at an immediate disadvantage, it does no immediately knock them out of the competition. For one thing, most sci-fi franchises have little to no defense against kinetic energy weapons. And the armor in ME is more powerful than most given the fact of the mass effect technology.

ME probably isn't the most powerful sci-fi franchise, but it certainly cannot be discounted.

Well, still backing Sins as I have done so far, both the shields and hull in Sins of a Solar Empire are entirely functional against both kinetic and energy weapons. There is still no way to come up with actual numbers to quantify the strength of sins weapons or shields but considering a capital ship's shields can sustain the fire of an entire fleet for a considerably duration, and the hull even more so, I'd say both would have to be pretty damn strong.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ME Kinetic Barriers, GUARDIAN and other Directed Energy Weapons.   ME Kinetic Barriers, GUARDIAN and other Directed Energy Weapons. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ME Kinetic Barriers, GUARDIAN and other Directed Energy Weapons.
Page 1 of 1