Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Share | 

Communication

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
tonyri

PostSubject: Communication   Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:27 pm

On most servers today, there is a global chat. This, while convenient, isn't very realistic. To solve this, chat would be changed to be local only. If you were within maybe 50 block radius of someone when they said something, you would hear it. For other applications, you would need a "Communicator". Basically a cell phone with a few extra features, you would need it to talk to your team. You would right click it to open a GUI. This would list all the people on your team that have a Communicator with them. You would click it, and the other person's communicator would beep and flash in their inventory. If they clicked their communicator, It would open up a chat box in the GUI and you could talk. Another thing you could do is click a button during the call, and it would send the person your coordinates. This could be used for bombing locations or a pickup rendez-vous. The communicator works just fine transmitting through any material, and can work at an infinite distance, but the catch is that a normal communicator won't transmit through space.

To simulate the hugeness of space, the only way to send messages from a ship to another ship, or from a ship to the ground would be to have a "Space Communicator". This isn't an item. This is a block connected to a computer and is fed power. If you want to communicate to someone in space, you will need to be within 1000 blocks of one of these blocks. In addition, to prevent close enemy ships from using your communications, each Space Communicator would have an adjustable frequency from 1-1000. Your personal communicator would need to be set to the same frequency. Space Communicators would use power when they are in use, but use less power when they are idle. They continuously need power, or will shut down. It would be smart for ship owners to have a backup battery in case of power failure.

With this method of communicating, it makes possible to "Take out" a teams communications or "Jam" them.

Just to clarify, to send messages through space, the both the sender and the receiver need to be using a space communicator.

Example: I am on a sabotage mission on an enemy planet. If I wanted to talk to my cloaked command ship, or they wanted to talk to me, they would either need to send a small ship below space into the atmosphere to relay the information, or I would have to find an enemy Space Communicator on the ground and change its frequency to my communicator.

P.S. If I wanted to communicate with someone not on my team, I would still be able to, but I would have to manually enter their username. They wouldn't show up as one of my team.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GLaDOS
Infantry
Infantry

PostSubject: Re: Communication   Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:03 am

I think this would be nice as I have always wondered what Steve was doing to communicate with everyone at the same time. Was he sending up the message in fireworks?

i.e. trying to say lol on a server: lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://futurecraft.forumotion.com
ectrimble20
DEV
DEV

PostSubject: Re: Communication   Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:51 am

Feasible, and I actually think that's not a bad and "realistic" idea. Cut off communications, I like that. Tonyri, I think this is your best idea yet.

To add onto it, I think we'll need more that 1,000 frequencies, I'd suspect we could go with a standard 32k (easy to manage and hard to duplicate, plus I doubt we'll ever run out especially if each channel is specific to the local server, that gives each server 32k frequencies of communication).

Anyway, just my thoughts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
roguenerd

PostSubject: Re: Communication   Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:44 pm

I think that if you make it too hard to use the text chat people will just use Skype or whatever. When you're on a planet you can chat with anyone on the planet. In space you can use a space communicator (or Ansible) to communicate with other worlds on certain frequencies etc. A personal communicator will let you patch into a ships comm as long as you are close enough.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tonyri

PostSubject: Re: Communication   Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:47 pm

roguenerd wrote:
I think that if you make it too hard to use the text chat people will just use Skype or whatever. When you're on a planet you can chat with anyone on the planet. In space you can use a space communicator (or Ansible) to communicate with other worlds on certain frequencies etc. A personal communicator will let you patch into a ships comm as long as you are close enough.
Yea, maybe that idea is better. You are just suggesting to take out the local chat distance limit, save for the space issue.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
elmeerkat

PostSubject: Re: Communication   Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:02 am

just to go along with this, what is going to happen to name plates above people's heads? if they were taken out you could theoretically spy on people in person, not just electronically
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Misticblade7

PostSubject: Re: Communication   Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:11 pm

How about an item that has two modes, on/off, and toggles when right-clicking with it. It would only be effective when in your inventory, and if it's set to on, only people nearby can hear you. In my opinion it's more efficient to have worldwide chat be a default.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buggy1997123
DEV
DEV

PostSubject: Re: Communication   Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

elmeerkat wrote:
just to go along with this, what is going to happen to name plates above people's heads? if they were taken out you could theoretically spy on people in person, not just electronically
I think they should be removed completely except if you move your crosshair over a player, so that you can actually spy. And even if you move it over a player nothing should happen for a second or two to prevent accidental findings of spys that you don't know are there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GLaDOS
Infantry
Infantry

PostSubject: Re: Communication   Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:07 pm

Or instead of showing their nameplate it could just acknowledge that they are there. You would have to craft a item, say, a world database and look at them with it in your hand. Then it would show their nameplate. In real life, if you look at someone, do you know what their name is?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://futurecraft.forumotion.com
Misticblade7

PostSubject: Re: Communication   Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:20 am

daman200 wrote:
Or instead of showing their nameplate it could just acknowledge that they are there. You would have to craft a item, say, a world database and look at them with it in your hand. Then it would show their nameplate. In real life, if you look at someone, do you know what their name is?

But this is the future! Not real life!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buggy1997123
DEV
DEV

PostSubject: Re: Communication   Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:57 am

Idea: everyone can set a display name, which can be anything. The display name is what shows up when you look at someone. This is basically the equiv of 'telling' someone your name, so you could always leave it blank.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DragoonPreston

PostSubject: Re: Communication   Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:40 am

That's actually a really good idea Buggy because if the popular people on youtube want to play and not get mobbed right now they have to use a different account with your idea they can just change the name so people don't know them and they wont get mobbed, and for people that had to chose a name like 999Buggy999 because there name they normally use was already taken they can just go with the name they prefer to use.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator

PostSubject: Re: Communication   Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:34 am

I'm a little lost. What do nametags have to do with FutureCraft?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
roguenerd

PostSubject: Re: Communication   Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:33 pm

When you sneak (shift) I'm pretty sure it hides your display name. The whole "change name plate" thing is is kinda dumb/not relevant to FC much. What's the point of having a username if you can change it willy nilly? Or you could go around with your name set as 'Notch' and troll. And how would you report someone to an admin as cheating/griefing if you couldn't say what there name is?

No need to overcomplicate things.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Misticblade7

PostSubject: Re: Communication   Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:23 pm

roguenerd wrote:
When you sneak (shift) I'm pretty sure it hides your display name. The whole "change name plate" thing is is kinda dumb/not relevant to FC much. What's the point of having a username if you can change it willy nilly? Or you could go around with your name set as 'Notch' and troll. And how would you report someone to an admin as cheating/griefing if you couldn't say what there name is?

Well, I think an admin would probably be able to see which display name matches which username.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
roguenerd

PostSubject: Re: Communication   Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:15 am

Misticblade7 wrote:

Well, I think an admin would probably be able to see which display name matches which username.

Once again:

I still don't see why you want/need to do this in the first place...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator

PostSubject: Re: Communication   Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:52 am

I agree with roguenerd. This idea is silly and impractical.

However I will not lock the threads of silly impractical suggestions because I am not a tyrant, drunk with presumably ill-gotten power and deaf to his subjects' pleas of mercynotnamingnames. Wink

I will say though that over-the head names will remain untouched unless I hear a damned good argument for why it needs to be changed. Covert ops is not a good enough reason; this is Minecraft, not splinter cell.

@tonri
What you are describing sounds like the kind of thing they do in MMOs. I'm not against facilitating that when we get to the MMO elements, but it is low priority. Until then, chat will remain local to the server and unfiltered. If you require something better I would suggest using IM or voice chat.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ACH0225
General
General

PostSubject: Re: Communication   Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:54 pm

Will there be local chat for ships, or will they be connected with the planet below, unless in flight? Maybe this could be resolved with a setting on the command chair. Have a setting in it with the options , Ship-Only, Allies(Every ally in, say, 500 blocks), or All(To roast your enemies as they flee in fighters and escape pods)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ectrimble20
DEV
DEV

PostSubject: Re: Communication   Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:45 pm

Well, I'm going to play around with a communicator GUI. Since we're using ModLoader, I can tie right into the gui's with that and possibly tap into chat or even spin off an make my own.

I liked the idea of communication channels, and I think a communicator would be a suitable replacement for a chat system or a substitute in space. It's TBD though as it might prove too cumbersome to effectively implement.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tonyri

PostSubject: Re: Communication   Sat May 05, 2012 2:01 pm

Bump
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ACH0225
General
General

PostSubject: Re: Communication   Sun May 06, 2012 1:11 am

By the gods, IT LIVES!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Commander Kobialka
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Communication   Mon May 07, 2012 4:01 pm

i already have a topic about this. It is called "Chat Limitations Aboard Ships"
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.thecraftersmakevideos.webs.com
superninjakiwi
Infantry
Infantry

PostSubject: Re: Communication   Mon May 07, 2012 6:07 pm

and we care why?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Grand Imperial Thunder
Infantry
Infantry

PostSubject: Re: Communication   Mon May 07, 2012 6:23 pm

superninjakiwi wrote:
and we care why?
I don't know but you cared enough to ask.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
superninjakiwi
Infantry
Infantry

PostSubject: Re: Communication   Mon May 07, 2012 6:26 pm

-_-
also, i thought you were dead.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Communication