Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Prismatic Hull plating

Go down 
+7
Shiva
Buggy1997123
Keon
Last_Jedi_Standing
Iv121
fr0stbyte124
Happyman
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Happyman
Happyman

Location : Either the bathroom or my rolly chair, wherever a computer or smartphone is baisically

Prismatic Hull plating Empty
PostSubject: Prismatic Hull plating   Prismatic Hull plating Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 2:32 am

Lasers are highly focused light, correct?

So just add prisims that deflect light, but could not stand the laser heat for too long and viola! a hull plating designed for deflecting Lazars (of course this would be a bit costly to mass produce Smile )

Thanks bai
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: Prismatic Hull plating   Prismatic Hull plating Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 4:38 am

Hmm. I always did wonder why ships in Star Wars didn't all have mirror finishes if everyone is shooting lasers.

If it's still weak against balistics, that might be an interesting way to give players more choices for defense.
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PostSubject: Re: Prismatic Hull plating   Prismatic Hull plating Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 5:20 am

Uh I guess it goes to the armor plating thread .
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Prismatic Hull plating   Prismatic Hull plating Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 9:25 am

fr0stbyte124 wrote:
Hmm. I always did wonder why ships in Star Wars didn't all have mirror finishes if everyone is shooting lasers.

If it's still weak against balistics, that might be an interesting way to give players more choices for defense.
Because in Star Wars, lasers and blasters are different things, and almost all their guns are blasters. Blaster bolts don't reflect off mirrors.
Back to top Go down
Happyman
Happyman

Location : Either the bathroom or my rolly chair, wherever a computer or smartphone is baisically

PostSubject: Re: Prismatic Hull plating   Prismatic Hull plating Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 10:12 am

I believe that flexibility is the way to end wars. this gives ships the best chance of that, of course different armor for different situations is required as well as knowing how your enemy fights and thinks.

I really do believe this is a worthwhile pursuit of your time.
Back to top Go down
Keon
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Keon

PostSubject: Re: Prismatic Hull plating   Prismatic Hull plating Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 11:25 am

Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:
fr0stbyte124 wrote:

Because in Star Wars, lasers and blasters are different things, and almost all their guns are blasters. Blaster bolts don't reflect off mirrors.

So that's why they go so slow. Any way, how does a blaster work?
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Prismatic Hull plating   Prismatic Hull plating Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 12:47 pm

Keon wrote:
fr0stbyte124 wrote:

So that's why they go so slow. Any way, how does a blaster work?
There are a number of different kinds, but most of them fire a bolt of energy or plasma. You can read about it here.
Back to top Go down
Buggy1997123
DEV
DEV
Buggy1997123

PostSubject: Re: Prismatic Hull plating   Prismatic Hull plating Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 6:22 pm

In star wars, you would at least think they would try. I mean, even if lasers arn't often used, it could still be worthwhile to have mirrored hulls. Heck, even a chrome paintjob wouldn't be that expensive, but it could help a great deal.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: Prismatic Hull plating   Prismatic Hull plating Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 11:35 pm

But how would plasma not disperse in a vacuum? Ah whatever, Star Wars uses magic.

From a development standpoint, it shouldn't be to terribly difficult to add reflections, or at least pseudo reflective surfaces once the shader engine is complete.
Back to top Go down
Shiva
Admin
Shiva

PostSubject: Re: Prismatic Hull plating   Prismatic Hull plating Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 10:07 am

It's magnetically contained plasma, a la a Hellbore Cannon from the Bolo books. Except the Hellbore really is a directed fusion nuke.

Hellbore ammunition consists of slivers of highly-pressurized frozen deuterium which, when fired, are ignited (by a laser) in a fusion reaction. The resulting bolt is contained and directed using strong magnetic fields in the breech and barrel. The resulting plasma travels at a considerable fraction of light speed and is not affected by planetary gravity.
Back to top Go down
https://futurecraft.forumotion.com
Ivan2006
General
General
Ivan2006

PostSubject: Re: Prismatic Hull plating   Prismatic Hull plating Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 5:04 pm

I don't see a reason though for anyone to install a prismatic hull on his/her ship. Lasers will never be the most powerful weapon around. Just look at the famous sci-fi shows.
For example Star Wars uses Turbolasers as primary weapon but they are actually no lasers but blasters. The most well-known prove for that is: TLs need Tibanna- gas as ammo.
Back to top Go down
Happyman
Happyman

PostSubject: Re: Prismatic Hull plating   Prismatic Hull plating Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 5:21 pm

It would be a covering, something at the very least as an insurance against lazers and such while still having considerablr armor below it.

On a semi-related note, what about collapsed starmatter as ship armor?
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

PostSubject: Re: Prismatic Hull plating   Prismatic Hull plating Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 6:22 pm

Why not? It would crush you with the gravity.
Back to top Go down
Ivan2006
General
General
Ivan2006

PostSubject: Re: Prismatic Hull plating   Prismatic Hull plating Icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 10:06 am

Keon wrote:
Yeah. You donĀ“t want to use blach holes or something of that kind as armor, right?
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Prismatic Hull plating   Prismatic Hull plating Icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 10:11 am

Ivan2006 wrote:
Keon wrote:
Yeah. You donĀ“t want to use blach holes or something of that kind as armor, right?
Aww, no dovin basals?
Back to top Go down
Ivan2006
General
General
Ivan2006

PostSubject: Re: Prismatic Hull plating   Prismatic Hull plating Icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 10:53 am

Ivan2006 wrote:
Keon wrote:
Aww, no dovin basals?
I not speak english wery well.
Me does not understand you.
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Prismatic Hull plating   Prismatic Hull plating Icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 12:32 pm

Ivan2006 wrote:
Ivan2006 wrote:
Keon wrote:
Aww, no dovin basals?
You does not know Star Wars good, neither.
Back to top Go down
Ivan2006
General
General
Ivan2006

PostSubject: Re: Prismatic Hull plating   Prismatic Hull plating Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2012 1:38 pm

Ivan2006 wrote:
Ivan2006 wrote:
Keon wrote:
Aww, no dovin basals?
You does not know Star Wars good, neither.
/me searches Star Wars Wiki
...progressing...
Well...
HEUREKA!
Oh...
I am not so familiar with the YV-war, though I heard alot about Anakin Solos mission (currently reading the Dark Nest Triology).
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

PostSubject: Re: Prismatic Hull plating   Prismatic Hull plating Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2012 5:48 pm

Anikin Solo?

What am I missing here?
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Prismatic Hull plating   Prismatic Hull plating Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2012 6:33 pm

Keon wrote:
Anikin Solo?

What am I missing here?
The Expanded Universe.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Prismatic Hull plating   Prismatic Hull plating Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2012 10:17 pm

Lasers are still very much in use, though they need Tibanna gas in order to make the ray deadly. And Star Wars does have mirrored armor, believe it or not, it's just that it's costly to sheet a 2 km capital ship in mirrors only to get them blown apart by plasma. Much more efficient to simply use shields which block both.
Back to top Go down
ACH0225
General
General
ACH0225

PostSubject: Re: Prismatic Hull plating   Prismatic Hull plating Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2012 10:34 pm

Why not just run it under some water from the planet? Make it nice and shiny, then air dry it, then its clean and ready to go!
Back to top Go down
Happyman
Happyman

PostSubject: Re: Prismatic Hull plating   Prismatic Hull plating Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 12:08 am

By collapsed star matter I mean like a white dwarf that stuff makes lead look like a sponge
Back to top Go down
Ivan2006
General
General
Ivan2006

PostSubject: Re: Prismatic Hull plating   Prismatic Hull plating Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 4:28 am

Sir Tielton wrote:
Lasers are still very much in use, though they need Tibanna gas in order to make the ray deadly. And Star Wars does have mirrored armor, believe it or not, it's just that it's costly to sheet a 2 km capital ship in mirrors only to get them blown apart by plasma. Much more efficient to simply use shields which block both.
Who said that?
If so they mean Turbolasers, which are just huge blasters.
Someone may have shortened it to "laser" in "The Unseen Queen" but if you finish the book you find out that they definetley mean Turbolasers.
Star Wars uses lasers only as weapons for starfighters.
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Prismatic Hull plating   Prismatic Hull plating Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 7:51 am

Ivan2006 wrote:
Sir Tielton wrote:
Who said that?
If so they mean Turbolasers, which are just huge blasters.
Someone may have shortened it to "laser" in "The Unseen Queen" but if you finish the book you find out that they definetley mean Turbolasers.
Star Wars uses lasers only as weapons for starfighters.
Some personal weapons, especially sniper rifles, are lasers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Prismatic Hull plating   Prismatic Hull plating Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Prismatic Hull plating
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next