Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Share | 

Summer Job

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tiel+
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st

PostSubject: Summer Job   Fri May 11, 2012 11:42 am

Seeing as the topics here range from religion to how to score a date, I didn't think it odd to ask for advice regarding this.

This summer I'm saving up for a gaming netbook since my old lappie is for all intents and purposes deaded. Now, in order to this I'm going to get a job at either a grocery store or a fast food place.

But today I was looking at jobs in the technology industry, and I saw that a computer repair business that fixed this very netbook 2 years back opened up again. Since then I've got a lot more computer skills under my belt, so I was wondering if I should apply for an internship in addition to whatever part time job I manage to get over the summer.

Since college is coming up, and after that a 'real' career, I figure that would look good on my resume. However, I'm not sure if I can squeeze that in addition to the other job I'll get. But I probably won't be doing much else during this summer so it'd serve to occupy me while still being around computers. Then again, I have a tendency to get overburdened; it might be better to just go with one or the other...

Help?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
superninjakiwi
Infantry
Infantry

PostSubject: Re: Summer Job   Fri May 11, 2012 11:48 am

internship. gonna be worth it if your computer breaks. you decide whether or not to actually get a job, but trust me, it will be worth it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Summer Job   Fri May 11, 2012 11:54 am

I already know how to fix computers. I was just hoping to pick up a thing or two on the way, and maybe have it on the resume. Problem being I likely won't have much time to spare for it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Danice123
DEV
DEV

PostSubject: Re: Summer Job   Fri May 11, 2012 11:58 am

I have also been considering this kind of thing. It sounds like a good idea, but I wonder if in this economy any computer repair places are really looking for interns.

2012-04-24 18:17:59 [INFO] <Kobialka> i found the minecraft forum topic and i was like :O
2012-04-24 18:18:07 [INFO] <Cian259> Cool
2012-04-24 18:18:35 [INFO] <Cian259> I was looking for a space RP and found it, I atually jizzed my pants XD
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://wbcentral.com
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Summer Job   Fri May 11, 2012 12:07 pm

By intern I meant unpaid intern. What's the harm in having one when they can just do your work for you, at no cost?

I'm just looking for experience, is all. If you tell someone you're a tech wizard at 15 you'll be taken at face value and laughed at.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Summer Job   Fri May 11, 2012 12:30 pm

Don't work at the fast food place. That's not something you really want on a resumé.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Summer Job   Fri May 11, 2012 12:32 pm

That's why I want the intern gig on the side.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator

PostSubject: Re: Summer Job   Fri May 11, 2012 7:43 pm

Connections are much more important than resume padding for landing a good job down the road, and local businesses tend to know a lot of people, especially in the service industry.
If you have the opportunity to work for them, I say take it.

Of course, you have to make a good impression first, so make sure you have the time to properly commit to it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV

PostSubject: Re: Summer Job   Sun May 13, 2012 6:29 am

Does starting young help?

Noli timere tenebras quam lucem, id est tortor.

Spoiler:

Mackeroth est abiit. Hinc abiit, et misit me in profundum subconscious!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator

PostSubject: Re: Summer Job   Mon May 14, 2012 12:32 am

Depends on what you want to do. For programming, you are pretty much limited to amateur programming until at the very least you graduate high school, and even then you'd be hard-pressed to find work without a degree, except for maybe web design (which is predominately freelance work). On the other-hand, there is no age limit to amateur programming and experience is very important. I got into programming around 12 or 13 writing scripts for Star Craft mods, and making a (really) primitive game in QBasic before that. It doesn't really matter what you do or how big it is, so long as you are always doing something, and more importantly, you enjoy it. Notch, I think, started out more or less the same way, and programs little games all the time to sharpen his skills

For something like computer repair, it's a mixed bag as far as what one might be able to do. I knew a guy who would help string ethernet for a local company for a summer, but he was in high school. Still, can't hurt to ask, and that could get your foot in the door if that's the sort of thing you want to do later on. But at your age I wouldn't worry about it too much. You'll find a lot more opportunities for apprentice-type work in high school, or even a paying position (though in this case pro bono is better than nothing. The more experience you get under your belt, the better you'll be able to negotiate wages).

If you end up going to college, no one is going to care afterwards about what you did in high school or earlier and you probably won't include it on your resume unless in needs some padding (the exceptions being major recognitions like being an Eagle Scout (Australia has those, right?)). What they will care about are grades and demonstrable skills. Programming jobs will mostly require a degree (there are exceptions, but having the paper never hurts), but repair places are more interested in certifications (which are also expensive and require a lot of work to get) and prior on-the-job experience. But it would be better to ask around and see what people in the business have to say about it. I've always been a software developer so this is all second-hand information.

But the main thing is do what you enjoy. If you can find a place that lets you try it out as a job, that's great, but enjoying what you are doing is key.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Summer Job   

Back to top Go down

Summer Job
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1