Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Different shell types

Go down 
+13
Laserbilly
ACH0225
Cheatmaster
Laibach
bsb23
Hierarch Fenway
Burnttoaster
Grand Imperial Thunder
Commander Kobialka
Keon
Last_Jedi_Standing
superninjakiwi
hyperlite
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Keon
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Keon

Different shell types - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Different shell types   Different shell types - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 7:42 pm

Or missiles could be oxidized. Seriously. Most missiles use a pre-oxygenated fuel to ignite. This means they can fire in a void. And Cool is right, the pressure wave would be less powerful even if it breaches the hull. What would most likely be used is similar to a grenade. The pressure wave does little, the shrapnel does a lot.
Back to top Go down
Laserbilly
Infantry
Infantry
Laserbilly

PostSubject: Re: Different shell types   Different shell types - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 8:52 pm

Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:
superninjakiwi wrote:
ACH0225 wrote:
That makes no sense at all. The way a missile works in atmosphere is it causes a pressure wave that does concussion damage to static defenses and lifeforms. The way missiles work in space is there is a delayed blast that activates after the amur peircing tip of the missile peirces the hull. While asteroids would hit the hull, they are only going a few hundred KMH, and are not being deliberately fired at the ship, while a missile is going much faster, and IS deliberately aimed at the ship.
i must correct you, good sir, some asteroids ARE aimed at a ship, and are, in fact, hidden missiles. or mines. or something.
Indeed. In Old Man's War, the CDF liked to sit in orbit and drop meteorites onto enemy cities/bases/etc.

I don't remember that at all! Who did they bomb?
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Different shell types   Different shell types - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 9:03 pm

Laserbilly wrote:
superninjakiwi wrote:
ACH0225 wrote:
That makes no sense at all. The way a missile works in atmosphere is it causes a pressure wave that does concussion damage to static defenses and lifeforms. The way missiles work in space is there is a delayed blast that activates after the amur peircing tip of the missile peirces the hull. While asteroids would hit the hull, they are only going a few hundred KMH, and are not being deliberately fired at the ship, while a missile is going much faster, and IS deliberately aimed at the ship.
i must correct you, good sir, some asteroids ARE aimed at a ship, and are, in fact, hidden missiles. or mines. or something.
Indeed. In Old Man's War, the CDF liked to sit in orbit and drop meteorites onto enemy cities/bases/etc.

They dropped rocks on the Ensha outpost, the one all the Rayae (No idea how to spell that) scientists were in. They said it was a common and useful tactic for the Ghost Brigades.
Back to top Go down
Laserbilly
Infantry
Infantry
Laserbilly

PostSubject: Re: Different shell types   Different shell types - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 9:42 pm

I think I do recall that a little now that you remind me, but there were so many battles in that book series that I can't remember everything!
Back to top Go down
ACH0225
General
General
ACH0225

PostSubject: Re: Different shell types   Different shell types - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 11:41 am

Laserbilly wrote:
superninjakiwi wrote:
ACH0225 wrote:

They dropped rocks on the Ensha outpost, the one all the Rayae (No idea how to spell that) scientists were in. They said it was a common and useful tactic for the Ghost Brigades.

They're only real asteroids if they're unintentional
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: Different shell types   Different shell types - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 8:04 pm

Fenway wrote:
My shell of choice? The black hole shell (Think red matter from Star Trek)

In essence, it turns into a black hole on impact, sucking everything near it into it. However, it is very short lived, lasting for about 5 seconds. But the gravitational field still rips ships apart in the general area. When it evaporates, it emits very powerful EM radiation, blinding anyone who looks at the evaporating hole directly and scrambling electronics and communications.

This is caused because it releases more light that the sun. MUCH more.

My weapon of choice: EMP shell (or missile). It causes all non-shielded devices to shut down, and will cause massive fluctuations in shields (which are an EM field, by the way).

I like it because it wreaks havoc, and is fairly scientifically accurate.
Back to top Go down
bsb23
bsb23

PostSubject: Re: Different shell types   Different shell types - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2012 9:17 pm

ACH0225 wrote:
bsb23 wrote:
hyperlite wrote:
I am now starting to question, could there be an orange fireball from a missile exploding in space? There is no oxygen, a key ingredient for fire.
Yes there would still be an explosion although it would most likely not be orange but it would still burn whatever combustiles/explosives were within or near the missle the fiery flame part doesnt do the damage in these missles though it's the blast itself.

Fire requires oxygen, an ignition source, and fuel. Without one of those, there can be no fire.
I apologize I just looked it up and I completely misunderstood fire I feel like a complete idiot good thing nobody listens to my posts anyways
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

PostSubject: Re: Different shell types   Different shell types - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2012 10:53 pm

ACH0225 wrote:
bsb23 wrote:
hyperlite wrote:
I am now starting to question, could there be an orange fireball from a missile exploding in space? There is no oxygen, a key ingredient for fire.
Yes there would still be an explosion although it would most likely not be orange but it would still burn whatever combustiles/explosives were within or near the missle the fiery flame part doesnt do the damage in these missles though it's the blast itself.

Fire requires oxygen, an ignition source, and fuel. Without one of those, there can be no fire.

Wrong. Plasma requires gas and energy.
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PostSubject: Re: Different shell types   Different shell types - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2012 12:10 am

Well good luck making fire without oxygen ...

BTW Fire and plasma are not exactly the same thing. Like saying that all animals are dogs ... all dogs are animals but not the opposite.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Different shell types   Different shell types - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2012 12:19 am

Different shell types - Page 2 Blood+plasma

scratch
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

PostSubject: Re: Different shell types   Different shell types - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2012 9:05 am

Wrong plasma. We're talking about what you see in your fireplace and in the sun.

But plasma, even when not fire, looks like explosions. I mean, supernovas. They explode, in space. No fire, no combustion, most powerful explosions since the big bang.
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Different shell types   Different shell types - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2012 10:10 am

Keon wrote:
Wrong plasma. We're talking about what you see in your fireplace and in the sun.

But plasma, even when not fire, looks like explosions. I mean, supernovas. They explode, in space. No fire, no combustion, most powerful explosions since the big bang.
Ooh, aah. In Star Wars, they figured out how to weaponize that and built the Sun Crusher. Can we have one of those?
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Different shell types   Different shell types - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2012 10:26 am

A better example would be the Covenant in Halo. They used magnetic fields to pull the plasma into guidable projectiles on their ships.
Back to top Go down
superninjakiwi
Infantry
Infantry
superninjakiwi

PostSubject: Re: Different shell types   Different shell types - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2012 10:36 am

covanent Twisted Evil
they also made the plasma grenade, it's sticky Razz
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Different shell types   Different shell types - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2012 12:23 pm

Sir Tielton wrote:
A better example would be the Covenant in Halo. They used magnetic fields to pull the plasma into guidable projectiles on their ships.
I don't mean the plasma, I mean supernovae. I want to use those.
Back to top Go down
bsb23
bsb23

PostSubject: Re: Different shell types   Different shell types - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2012 11:07 pm

bsb23 wrote:
ACH0225 wrote:
bsb23 wrote:
hyperlite wrote:

I apologize I just looked it up and I completely misunderstood fire I feel like a complete idiot good thing nobody listens to my posts anyways

I correct myself once more (Hope you payed attention in chemistry) fire does not require oxygen but an oxidizer. First thought to be comprised of at least some oxygen research shows that it doesn't have to have to contain oxygen it only usually does due to oxygen's high electronegativity (EN). For those who don't know EN is a number which represents the likelihood of that element receiving an electron from another in fire the oxidizer receives electrons from the reactant making this a necessary trait. Substances such as nitrogen trifluoride are being currently tested as oxidizers by companies such as Wendell Hull & Associates. I apologize for me correcting myself twice.
Back to top Go down
Captain stufuzzycat
Sergeant
Sergeant
Captain stufuzzycat

PostSubject: Re: Different shell types   Different shell types - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 7:58 pm

VORTEX MISSILES!!!!!
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: Different shell types   Different shell types - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 7:39 am

ACH0225 wrote:

What are you talking about? The reason bits of space-junk are so deadly to space-craft (currently) is because the bits travel at many times the speed of a bullet, many thousands of miles per hour.
Back to top Go down
ACH0225
General
General
ACH0225

PostSubject: Re: Different shell types   Different shell types - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 7:46 am

bsb23 wrote:
bsb23 wrote:
ACH0225 wrote:
bsb23 wrote:
hyperlite wrote:

I correct myself once more (Hope you payed attention in chemistry) fire does not require oxygen but an oxidizer. First thought to be comprised of at least some oxygen research shows that it doesn't have to have to contain oxygen it only usually does due to oxygen's high electronegativity (EN). For those who don't know EN is a number which represents the likelihood of that element receiving an electron from another in fire the oxidizer receives electrons from the reactant making this a necessary trait. Substances such as nitrogen trifluoride are being currently tested as oxidizers by companies such as Wendell Hull & Associates. I apologize for me correcting myself twice.

Fire is a chemical reaction- it produces 2 Dihydrogen Monoxide and Carbon Dioxide, unless it is a hydrogen fire, in which case it only makes Carbon Dioxide.
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

PostSubject: Re: Different shell types   Different shell types - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 10:45 am

Fire is oxidization quickly enough to create enough heat to produce plasma. That is all.

Plasma is the flame. It can be made by electricity too. Why use oxidization?
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PostSubject: Re: Different shell types   Different shell types - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 10:53 am

The fire source doesn't matter, you need oxygen. You can light up a candle with a lightning, but if you cover it with a cup it won't last long.
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

PostSubject: Re: Different shell types   Different shell types - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 11:13 am

That is correct. You need sustained energy. One way to get that is from oxidazation, another is ionizing gas into plasma with electricity. The resulting plasma would be similar.

The fire is just high energy gas. That can exist in space, look at nebulas. Those are literally fire.
Back to top Go down
Cheatmaster
Recruit
Recruit
Cheatmaster

PostSubject: Re: Different shell types   Different shell types - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 12:12 pm

Get Youself this and build your <CENSORED> weapons http://powdertoy.co.uk/
just search a bit and you find everything you need /want
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Different shell types   Different shell types - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Different shell types
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2