Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Share | 

Sci-Fi Franchises

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
Happyman

Location : Either the bathroom or my rolly chair, wherever a computer or smartphone is baisically

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Tue May 29, 2012 11:47 pm

blockman42 wrote:
Brz99 wrote:
Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:
Brz99 wrote:
Just wondering, who would win, A Borg Cube or a Imperial Star Destroyer?
I vote for the Borg cube.
That depends. A Borg cube is (I think) much bigger than an ImpStar. The only thing I know about Borg cubes is that one killed 39 Federation ships at Wolf 359. An ImpStar is much more powerful than those. The question is whether or not the TIE bombers deployed by the ImpStar could penetrate the cube's shields/armor. They're pretty powerful bombs, so I'm guessing they could, and the cube would probably have trouble dealing with them, because there don't seem to be starfighters in Star Trek, so there wouldn't be any defense against them. If the ImpStar stayed out of the way and let it's fighters beat up the cube, it might win. A small group of Star Destroyers, with an Interdictor to keep the cube from warping out, could almost certainly destroy one.
Not necesarily. Borg cubes are designed so that the important systems are spread out across the cube. One Starfleet officer estimated that it would take roughly 75 percent of a cube to be taken out in order for it to no longer function. About the fighters, I'm pretty sure the Borg can adapt to the bombs fairly easily.( I think.) Lastly, the Borg could send boarding parties to assimilate your crew. Also, what is an Interdictor?

Well it depends of who shoots at what parts of which ship. Since the borg have no fighters a few squadrons of bombers could theoretically destroy a cube.
The reason no star trek ships have fighters is because phasers are extremely accurate and could track and destroy fighters rather easily.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blockman42
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Wed May 30, 2012 12:04 am

Happyman wrote:
blockman42 wrote:
Brz99 wrote:
Brz99 wrote:
That depends. A Borg cube is (I think) much bigger than an ImpStar. The only thing I know about Borg cubes is that one killed 39 Federation ships at Wolf 359. An ImpStar is much more powerful than those. The question is whether or not the TIE bombers deployed by the ImpStar could penetrate the cube's shields/armor. They're pretty powerful bombs, so I'm guessing they could, and the cube would probably have trouble dealing with them, because there don't seem to be starfighters in Star Trek, so there wouldn't be any defense against them. If the ImpStar stayed out of the way and let it's fighters beat up the cube, it might win. A small group of Star Destroyers, with an Interdictor to keep the cube from warping out, could almost certainly destroy one.
Not necesarily. Borg cubes are designed so that the important systems are spread out across the cube. One Starfleet officer estimated that it would take roughly 75 percent of a cube to be taken out in order for it to no longer function. About the fighters, I'm pretty sure the Borg can adapt to the bombs fairly easily.( I think.) Lastly, the Borg could send boarding parties to assimilate your crew. Also, what is an Interdictor?

Well it depends of who shoots at what parts of which ship. Since the borg have no fighters a few squadrons of bombers could theoretically destroy a cube.
The reason no star trek ships have fighters is because phasers are extremely accurate and could track and destroy fighters rather easily.

But only a few phasers can fire at a time. By numbers the borg cube could be destroyed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pat Best
Marine
Marine

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Wed May 30, 2012 4:18 am

Tiel wrote:
Brz99 wrote:

Borg Cubes can wipe out entire worlds, so they have the capability of the Death Star at the very least. And Star Trek ships aren't that weak, I'd say 1.5 Federation ships of the line equals one ISD. So 39 battlecruisers out of a fleet of 40 means that this is a starship not to be f****ed with. ISD would lose, Borg Cube phasers would annihilate it before they could scramble starfighters.

Unfortunately, both Star Trek and Star Wars have plentiful data on their universes, and that data states that the firepower wielded by the empire's star destroyers is MONSTROUSLY superior to what 1.5 starfleet ships can do.

By that logic, the Borg would never have time to adapt as they'd be obliterated after the first volley.

There's always the argument that "bigger is not always better" but you know what? if you make it just big enough, it will be better, and this is certainly the case here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tiel+
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Wed May 30, 2012 7:44 am

Pat Best wrote:

Unfortunately, both Star Trek and Star Wars have plentiful data on their universes, and that data states that the firepower wielded by the empire's star destroyers is MONSTROUSLY superior to what 1.5 starfleet ships can do.

Citation.

And I can't believe I'm on Trek's side here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Wed May 30, 2012 12:21 pm

Tiel wrote:
Pat Best wrote:

Citation.

If nothing else, Galaxy-class is supposed to be one of the "largest and most powerful Federation starship classes of its time", according to Memory Alpha, and it's only 642 meters long. An Imperial-class Star Destroyer is close to 3 times as long, and is much larger in volume. A Borg cube is bigger than a Star Destroyer, but not by the insane amount it is compared to the Federation ships. A cube is about 3 kilometers on a side, and and ImpStar is 1.6 kilometers long. The only weapons Galaxy-class has are 10 phaser banks, one of which cannot be used unless the saucer has separated, and 2 torpedo launchers. An ImpStar has many, many more weapons than that, plus the starfighters. I'm still not sure a Star Destroyer could beat a cube, but it's definitely more powerful than 1.5 Federation cruisers.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ivan2006
General
General

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Wed May 30, 2012 12:59 pm

Tiel wrote:
Pat Best wrote:

Citation.

If nothing else, Galaxy-class is supposed to be one of the "largest and most powerful Federation starship classes of its time", according to Memory Alpha, and it's only 642 meters long. An Imperial-class Star Destroyer is close to 3 times as long, and is much larger in volume. A Borg cube is bigger than a Star Destroyer, but not by the insane amount it is compared to the Federation ships. A cube is about 3 kilometers on a side, and and ImpStar is 1.6 kilometers long. The only weapons Galaxy-class has are 10 phaser banks, one of which cannot be used unless the saucer has separated, and 2 torpedo launchers. An ImpStar has many, many more weapons than that, plus the starfighters. I'm still not sure a Star Destroyer could beat a cube, but it's definitely more powerful than 1.5 Federation cruisers.
You said it.
"2 torpedo launchers"
Star trek ships use photon torpedos, which do use up to 1.5kg of antimatter in order to deal demage.
Quantum torpedos, as they are used by Sovereign- and Defiant- class ships even use an artificial space anomaly or, to be more preciesly, the energy that gets unleashed when the anomaly turns back to normal.
That alone would outgun an ISD.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pat Best
Marine
Marine

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Wed May 30, 2012 1:54 pm

Ivan2006 wrote:
Tiel wrote:
Pat Best wrote:

Citation.

You said it.
"2 torpedo launchers"
Star trek ships use photon torpedos, which do use up to 1.5kg of antimatter in order to deal demage.
Quantum torpedos, as they are used by Sovereign- and Defiant- class ships even use an artificial space anomaly or, to be more preciesly, the energy that gets unleashed when the anomaly turns back to normal.

Those photon torpedoes only have a 64 megaton yield, while star wars heavy lasers ( not even turbolasers ) have a 200 gigaton yield per shot.

So no, you're not outgunning an ISD by a long shot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ivan2006
General
General

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Wed May 30, 2012 2:31 pm

Pat Best wrote:
Ivan2006 wrote:
Tiel wrote:
Pat Best wrote:

Citation.

You said it.
"2 torpedo launchers"

Those photon torpedoes only have a 64 megaton yield, while star wars heavy lasers ( not even turbolasers ) have a 200 gigaton yield per shot.

I can understand that about the photon torpedo, but which source do you have the 200 gigatons from?
They would have to use an antimatter- powered generator or some ZPM- like thing in order to get the energy to fire that stuff.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pat Best
Marine
Marine

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Wed May 30, 2012 3:15 pm

Ivan2006 wrote:
Pat Best wrote:
Ivan2006 wrote:
Tiel wrote:
Pat Best wrote:

Citation.

You said it.
"2 torpedo launchers"

I can understand that about the photon torpedo, but which source do you have the 200 gigatons from?
They would have to use an antimatter- powered generator or some ZPM- like thing in order to get the energy to fire that stuff.

There again, the star trek warp cores have a maximum power output of 4 billion GW while the power core on a star wars transport ship puts out 200 trillion GW.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Avenger_7
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Wed May 30, 2012 3:33 pm

Ivan2006 wrote:
Pat Best wrote:
Ivan2006 wrote:
Tiel wrote:
Pat Best wrote:

Citation.

You said it.
"2 torpedo launchers"

200 gigatons (4.3x10^23 J) is the ammount of energy scientists figure was released by the meteor that wiped out the dinosaurs. It is equivalent to the rest energy of 3.5 million Kg(via e=mc^2). I think tht seems a little more like the death star super laser than anything else.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Wed May 30, 2012 5:29 pm

Avenger_7 wrote:
Ivan2006 wrote:
Pat Best wrote:
Ivan2006 wrote:
Tiel wrote:
Pat Best wrote:

Citation.

You said it.
"2 torpedo launchers"

200 gigatons (4.3x10^23 J) is the ammount of energy scientists figure was released by the meteor that wiped out the dinosaurs. It is equivalent to the rest energy of 3.5 million Kg(via e=mc^2). I think tht seems a little more like the death star super laser than anything else.
Wookieepedia says that an Imperial II-class Star Destroyer's power core can peak at 9.28 x 10^24 watts. That's almost 10 octillion (@#$% you, spellcheck) watts. That's plenty.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
scout37
Recruit
Recruit

Location : Earth, in the most powerful and globally dominating country on the planet

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Wed May 30, 2012 5:37 pm

The quotes here seem to get out of hand very easily.

SO, to put a quick ending to it,

*Activates the Halo's
*Wipes out all sentient life forms in the universe

Their, now you can officially start with a new species, or anything else.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Laibach
General
General

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Wed May 30, 2012 5:48 pm

It's just the milky way
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scout37
Recruit
Recruit

Location : Earth, in the most powerful and globally dominating country on the planet

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Wed May 30, 2012 5:52 pm

AngryCatholicMetalhead wrote:
It's just the milky way

No, its not. Fore one thing, the purpose of the Halo's were to completely whipe out all sentient life in the universe in order to starve the flood into extinction. Without sentient life forms to transport and combat other sentient creatures, the flood would die off.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pat Best
Marine
Marine

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Wed May 30, 2012 5:52 pm

scout37 wrote:
The quotes here seem to get out of hand very easily.

SO, to put a quick ending to it,

*Activates the Halo's
*Wipes out all sentient life forms in the universe

Their, now you can officially start with a new species, or anything else.

Isn't it "just" one galaxy?

Even in the case that it IS the entire universe:

approximately 10% of all destroyed Advent civilization and ships are ressurected and proceed to claim the entire universe since there's no one else left to stop them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scout37
Recruit
Recruit

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Wed May 30, 2012 6:00 pm

They say galaxies, but considering they still imply that they Halo's were stationed lightyears apart from one another, i find it highly implausible that the galaxy was meant as a single galaxy, especially when you are putting the fact multiple suns and dozens of sentient species are involved.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pat Best
Marine
Marine

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Wed May 30, 2012 6:01 pm

scout37 wrote:
They say galaxies, but considering they still imply that they Halo's were stationed lightyears apart from one another, i find it highly implausible that the galaxy was meant as a single galaxy, especially when you are putting the fact multiple suns and dozens of sentient species are involved.

....there are thousands of suns in our galaxy and it spans over many many light years.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scout37
Recruit
Recruit

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Wed May 30, 2012 6:08 pm

Wow. I feel like i have a croppling mental illness now, maybe dementia. All day i have been mistaking galaxy with solar system. Please disregard the rest of that stuff, as a Galaxy is plenty large enough to restart a conversation on this. Or at least renew it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pat Best
Marine
Marine

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Wed May 30, 2012 6:11 pm

scout37 wrote:
Wow. I feel like i have a croppling mental illness now, maybe dementia. All day i have been mistaking galaxy with solar system. Please disregard the rest of that stuff, as a Galaxy is plenty large enough to restart a conversation on this. Or at least renew it.

Understandable. I spent five minutes trying to remember whether "the milky way" was used to designate our system or the galaxy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Avenger_7
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Wed May 30, 2012 6:23 pm

Avenger_7 wrote:
Ivan2006 wrote:
Pat Best wrote:
Ivan2006 wrote:
Tiel wrote:
Pat Best wrote:

Citation.

You said it.
"2 torpedo launchers"

Wookieepedia says that an Imperial II-class Star Destroyer's power core can peak at 9.28 x 10^24 watts. That's almost 10 octillion (@#$% you, spellcheck) watts. That's plenty.

1W=1J/s. So not only do these numbers break physics, but they also have a very limited capability to use their systems. If it were to fire all of its weapons at once, it would overload its generator and disable itself. Not to mention, taking a hit to the deflector shield would require energy output equal to that of the impact. Add to that the fact that starwars energy weapons aren't exactly efficient, and you get one of 2 results.

1. Weapon yield has been grossly over exaggerated

2. Star destroyers can only use some of their systems at any given time.

Guess which one I'm leaning towards.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Laibach
General
General

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Wed May 30, 2012 6:55 pm

*random troll comment*

read-

starwars sucks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Wed May 30, 2012 7:24 pm

Avenger_7 wrote:
Avenger_7 wrote:
Ivan2006 wrote:
Pat Best wrote:
Ivan2006 wrote:
Tiel wrote:
Pat Best wrote:

Citation.

You said it.
"2 torpedo launchers"

1W=1J/s. So not only do these numbers break physics, but they also have a very limited capability to use their systems. If it were to fire all of its weapons at once, it would overload its generator and disable itself. Not to mention, taking a hit to the deflector shield would require energy output equal to that of the impact. Add to that the fact that starwars energy weapons aren't exactly efficient, and you get one of 2 results.

1. Weapon yield has been grossly over exaggerated

2. Star destroyers can only use some of their systems at any given time.

Guess which one I'm leaning towards.
Keep in mind that this powerplant is running the entire mile-long ship.

Why don't you think the energy weapons are efficient?

How does this break physics?

This isn't the weapons output. But don't you think that if they've got a generator that can make this power, they'd have surge protectors and things that can deal with it?

I don't have the picture in a format I can upload, but it's a cross-section of an ImpStar. The generators are huge. They're at least about 200 meters across.

AngryCatholicMetalhead wrote:
*random troll comment*

read-

starwars sucks
No, it doesn't.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Wed May 30, 2012 8:51 pm

Star Wars rocks, it's just that now there's so many conflicting sources of information.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scout37
Recruit
Recruit

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Wed May 30, 2012 9:18 pm

Tiel wrote:
Star Wars rocks, it's just that now there's so many conflicting sources of information.

Exactly, and i think that was part of how Knight of the Old Republic was so amazing. Not only did it allow for completely different and controlled setting with similar and famous places, but it was set so long before the actual star wars films it had free rain over what happened in the game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Laibach
General
General

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   Wed May 30, 2012 9:20 pm

I mean the movies, the acting was horrible in the originals, and the prequels... were horrible
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sci-Fi Franchises   

Back to top Go down

Sci-Fi Franchises
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 9 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Futurecraft Forums :: General Area :: Off-Topic Area-
Jump to: