Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Move forum

Go down 
+14
Danice123
Laibach
fr0stbyte124
Iv121
Grand Imperial Thunder
Ivan2006
Last_Jedi_Standing
superninjakiwi
Potato
GLaDOS
ACH0225
Keon
The Schmetterling
Tiel+
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Potato
Recruit
Recruit
Potato

Move forum - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Move forum   Move forum - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 2:32 am

Bump :3

Kedit: That was uncalled for. Please just stop bumping. I'll post something in 51 and we can decide.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Move forum   Move forum - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 10:38 am

Any news?
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Move forum   Move forum - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 12:31 pm

Sir Tielton wrote:
Any news?
Yes.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Move forum   Move forum - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 3:39 pm

I take it this new news is not new in that the answer is, in fact, 'no'?
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Move forum   Move forum - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 3:46 pm

Sir Tielton wrote:
Ah... <CLASSIFIED>.
Back to top Go down
Potato
Recruit
Recruit
Potato

PostSubject: Re: Move forum   Move forum - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 5:40 pm

Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:
Sir Tielton wrote:
Ah... <CLASSIFIED>.
Please define 'CLASSIFIED'
Back to top Go down
Grand Imperial Thunder
Infantry
Infantry

PostSubject: Re: Move forum   Move forum - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 6:40 pm

Khmac wrote:
Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:
Sir Tielton wrote:
Ah... <CLASSIFIED>.
Please define 'CLASSIFIED'
Classified (noun)- used by people with information on a subject but don't have an answer.
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

PostSubject: Re: Move forum   Move forum - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 7:13 pm

2 of the mods are aware of the problem and are busy yelling at the others to pay attention. Now, what reasons are there for changing from Forumotion?
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: Move forum   Move forum - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2012 7:31 am

I don't care what Shiva says. Create a new forum. Now.
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PostSubject: Re: Move forum   Move forum - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2012 8:16 am

Keon wrote:
2 of the mods are aware of the problem and are busy yelling at the others to pay attention. Now, what reasons are there for changing from Forumotion?

Ugly emoticons ? I mean srsly I'm sure you want to use this: rendeer , or this cat , or this flower , and WTH , JUST WTH IS THIS : Laughing !
And broken notification system. I declared this site as spam in my mail as I'm tired of deleting all those notification that I receive even though I unchecked the notifications in my settings. Also the new posts system is buggy. Sometimes I log on and don't see any new posts , not because there are none but because of a weird bug, and other times I log on and see my own posts, where I personally replied last , marked as unread O.o .

Actually from now on I use my own emoticons Move forum - Page 3 Rolleyes .
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: Move forum   Move forum - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2012 8:43 am

Forumotion has become unreliable as of late. So far, it's mostly been minor things, like searching not working and minor bugs with post updates, so I'm not going to be heartbroken if we don't migrate, but this is the only phpBB site where I've seen so many issues.
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

PostSubject: Re: Move forum   Move forum - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2012 10:31 am

What is the site you made, Tiel?
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Move forum   Move forum - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2012 10:55 am

Okay. Here are my reasons for switching from forumotion.

• Unprofessional. When you have the capability of creating a custom site without relying on forumotion to do all the heavy work for you, it really casts a bad light on you.
  • Unrestricted FTP access. With even a free webhost you can upload whenever you want, and not beg for the forumotion staff to do it for you. This also means should the forum fart out for some whatever reason you can download the database and start anew. Forumotion will not allow that.
  • Mods. There are a variety of mods such as allowing both special and normal ranks, user progress bar, etc. Seriously, go look at phpbb's customization section, the possibilities are nye endless. Forumotion likes to keep users under its thumb, so it doesn't allow these.
  • Fixit. With FTP access and setting up the forum software yourself, you know every nook and cranny of the forum and how it works, and will be able to fix it yourself, similar to the perks of building your own PC. Were I to design this new forum, I also have around 2 years of experience with PHPbb and would be able to render assistance should such a scenario arise.
  • Customization. As noted above, I would like to set up said forum. With an unrestricted webhost with unlimited FTP access, well, it's hard to really put a limit on what you can come up with. Forumotion only lets you pick from an arbitrary list of themes, if memory serves you can't really dig in to it the same way. Then there's custom ranks, custom smilies, etc..

Again, I'd like to note that I'm not trying to upstage Shiva or anything, I just feel I can create a better looking, better functioning forum than forumotion. Everyone would retain their ranks should this transfer take place, so all of you would stay mods/devs, Shiva would stay an admin. All of us grunts would stay grunts, of course. The only problem would be the posts, but as soon as Shiva consents to the idea she can use this to get the more important ones and hand them to me so as to integrate them into the new forum.

As for the forum I showed, it has a handful of problems such as the background image not scaling at higher resolutions, and I need to work on making the mods play nicer together. Rest assured it is in fact a website and not some scam made up in PS Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PostSubject: Re: Move forum   Move forum - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2012 2:53 pm

If you ever need help decorating the new forums I'll be glad to help you. I'm sure you'll want at least a bigger title Move forum - Page 3 Tongue .
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PostSubject: Re: Move forum   Move forum - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2012 3:15 pm

Iv121 wrote:
... and other times I log on and see my own posts, where I personally replied last , marked as unread O.o .

Thats what I was talkin about:

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Move forum   Move forum - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 11:09 am

I think I fixed the background scaling issue, it only seems to occur in IE, so inconsequential.

Now to fix up the mods, they get all funky on memberlist.
Back to top Go down
superninjakiwi
Infantry
Infantry
superninjakiwi

PostSubject: Re: Move forum   Move forum - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 11:24 am

bump of shamelessness.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Move forum   Move forum - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 2:25 pm

I found a nice feature in the ACP that allows people to choose which group they want to belong to out of the ones they're assigned. What's so cool about this is that since you have a special rank associated with each group, a moderator could switch from having a big ole 'Moderator' rank to a Coder and back. Of course, post count determined ranks are unaffected, which is nice as well.

And that opens up the possibility of badges, persay. An admin could create a group such as, say, 'Entrepenuer' with an attached special rank and grant it to a normal user. The normal user could then have that atop their regular rank of Recruit, Ensign, etc. This could be used for accomplishments, like, say, 40 posts in a particular subforum. In conjunction with a mod or two this could be very interesting indeed.

Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Move forum   Move forum - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 2:56 pm

Sir Tielton wrote:
This could be used for accomplishments, like, say, 40 posts in a particular subforum. In conjunction with a mod or two this could be very interesting indeed.
Encouraging people to post a lot in a particular place may not be a good idea...
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Move forum   Move forum - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 3:06 pm

Originally my plan was to award various badges based on posts in a particular forum that people could have in their sig, but the mod for that was abandoned some time ago, hence my excitement over this discovery. There's still the problem of tracking posts per forum, but I'm sure I can find a loophole.

Also, I set it up so that posts in offtopic don't count towards ranks. Not sure if I can advertise this as a feature, but it's an interesting trait nonetheless, yes?

Back to top Go down
Laibach
General
General
Laibach

PostSubject: Re: Move forum   Move forum - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 3:18 pm

It would be a good idea to move the forum
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Move forum   Move forum - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 3:50 pm

Move forum - Page 3 Fc
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PostSubject: Re: Move forum   Move forum - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 4:24 pm

The forum admin thingy looks ugly...
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Move forum   Move forum - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 4:29 pm

Yeah, it does look somewhat out of place and ridiculously large. I'll find better ones, this is just what I had on hand.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Move forum   Move forum - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 4:44 pm

Ha. I almost broke the forum while installing mchat.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Move forum   Move forum - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Move forum
Page 3 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next