Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Technical: Server to Server, Maintaining a sence order

Go down 
+8
The Schmetterling
TinkerPox
Keon
Laibach
fr0stbyte124
Conscript Gary
roguenerd
ectrimble20
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

Technical:  Server to Server, Maintaining a sence order - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Technical: Server to Server, Maintaining a sence order   Technical:  Server to Server, Maintaining a sence order - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 7:32 pm

Or, if you are nostalgic and use the Imperial system, blocks are a yard. But generally, people estimate that they're a meter.
Back to top Go down
Laibach
General
General
Laibach

PostSubject: Re: Technical: Server to Server, Maintaining a sence order   Technical:  Server to Server, Maintaining a sence order - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 8:00 pm

Dr. Mackeroth wrote:
Or, if you are nostalgic and use the Imperial system, blocks are a yard. But generally, people estimate that they're a meter.

or american Very Happy
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: Technical: Server to Server, Maintaining a sence order   Technical:  Server to Server, Maintaining a sence order - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 8:23 pm

CoalMiningAlchemist wrote:
Dr. Mackeroth wrote:

or american Very Happy

Most members of the USA are stupid, and continue to use the Imperial system, true, but all the smart ones use the metric system. WHICH ACTUALLY MAKES SENSE!
Back to top Go down
xanex21

PostSubject: Re: Technical: Server to Server, Maintaining a sence order   Technical:  Server to Server, Maintaining a sence order - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 8:24 pm

Thank you for the clarification. 10 km = 10,000 blocks or 10 kiloblocks, 10 Kbls

Last edited by xanex21 on Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Laibach
General
General
Laibach

PostSubject: Re: Technical: Server to Server, Maintaining a sence order   Technical:  Server to Server, Maintaining a sence order - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 8:26 pm

Dr. Mackeroth wrote:
CoalMiningAlchemist wrote:
Dr. Mackeroth wrote:

or american Very Happy

Most members of the USA are stupid, and continue to use the Imperial system, true, but all the smart ones use the metric system. WHICH ACTUALLY MAKES SENSE!

hey, just cause I like the imperial system doesn't mean i'm stupid...

but the metric system does make a lot more sense XD
Back to top Go down
ectrimble20
DEV
DEV
ectrimble20

PostSubject: Re: Technical: Server to Server, Maintaining a sence order   Technical:  Server to Server, Maintaining a sence order - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 9:12 pm

Well normally I'd get pissed with someone hating on America, but actually Doc, you're correct. The standard ASE measurement system is retarded. Inches, Yards, Feet..... wtf.

I was a mechanic for about 4 years before I got into computer stuff, I loved Honda/Toyota/Nazi Cars because they used metric, ironically, I worked at a Ford dealership, and Ford being the backward retards they are made half their stuff metric and the other half standard. Good god did I hate them.
Back to top Go down
GLaDOS
Infantry
Infantry
GLaDOS

PostSubject: Re: Technical: Server to Server, Maintaining a sence order   Technical:  Server to Server, Maintaining a sence order - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 9:16 pm

I is not stupid. You is mean.

>.<
---
Back to top Go down
https://futurecraft.forumotion.com
Shiva
Admin
Shiva

PostSubject: Re: Technical: Server to Server, Maintaining a sence order   Technical:  Server to Server, Maintaining a sence order - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 11:49 pm

clears throat, stares at CADD for a moment, looks over at her shining rows of ribbons, medals, and ranks on her mess dress uniform, then looks up over at the multiple academic achievement awards...

I use Imperial a whole hell of a lot more than I do Metric.

Unless I'm working.
Back to top Go down
ectrimble20
DEV
DEV
ectrimble20

PostSubject: Re: Technical: Server to Server, Maintaining a sence order   Technical:  Server to Server, Maintaining a sence order - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 1:15 am

What kind of stuff do you do Shiva? I feel that of all the dev members of this mod, it is you I know the least about.

I'd assume some sort of design engineer? CADD? thats a design program right? Hell I don't know Razz
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: Technical: Server to Server, Maintaining a sence order   Technical:  Server to Server, Maintaining a sence order - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 2:33 am

Shiva is a very mysterious lady. Probably a lemur of some sort...

I will say that for practical uses, imperial is awesome. Did you know there are unit divisions for up to 1/64th of a gallon? All of them, base two. Most of our other units are based in 12, which is way superior to base 10 for fractions. It's so useful even the metric people never tried to change the 24 hour day of 60 minutes of 60 seconds. A foot is 12 inches. A mile is 3*5*11*2^5 feet (meaning tons of ways to divide it up). There are precisely 180 degrees between water freezing and boiling on the Fahrenheit scale. There's tons of cool stuff about imperial units that nobody seems to know.

SI on the other hand isn't even consistent. People use kilograms to describe weight or force. When's the last time you've heard anyone use newton's outside of a physics discussion? Meanwhile we Americans are measuring our weights and forces correctly with pounds (which are made of 2^4 ounces).

But I guess if you are bad at math, I could see why SI might be an attractive alternative.
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: Technical: Server to Server, Maintaining a sence order   Technical:  Server to Server, Maintaining a sence order - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 2:48 am

The Metric System is based on the number 10. Many of the
measurements within the metric system line up, for instance, a metric
ton is the weight of a cubic meter of water. This makes the measurements
more accurate, compared to a foot being the size of the kings foot. And
because the metric system is based on ten, it is easy to use decimal's
in measurements. The English system is designed to use fractions, which
some find harder to work with.
Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_advantages_of_metric_system_over_the_English_system#ixzz1kdfT9JAV

Any laboratory can make a model of the base units. Starting with length,
the meter was determined by the distance between two lines of latitude.
This can be measured at any location on earth with the proper
instruments. Once the length is established, a cube can be constructed
that is 1/10 km on each edge. The volume of this cube is the liter.
Everyone has access to water, so fill this cube with water and you have a
kilogram of weight at 3.98 degrees celsius. Oh, yes, you also had to
develop a thermometer by dividing the difference between water's
freezing and boiling points into 100 equal parts.

Decimal multiples

The metric system is decimal. The next larger unit is always 10 times as
large, the next smaller always 1/10 as large. You don't have to
remember 12 inches to a foot, 3 feet to a yard, are there four pints in a
quart or only two, etc. To convert, simply move the decimal point.

Prefixes

All derived units use a common set of prefixes for each multiple. "Kilo"
means 1000 whether it is used both for mass (kilogram) or length
(kilometre). A few units such as the tonne (megagram) and quintal (100
kilograms) survive from old units but have been rounded to metric. The
prefixes which come from the Greek language (kilo, mega, giga) are
multipliers and those with Latin origins (centi, milli) are divisors.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Four_advantages_of_the_metric_system_over_the_American_system_of_measurements#ixzz1kdfoyikv
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: Technical: Server to Server, Maintaining a sence order   Technical:  Server to Server, Maintaining a sence order - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 3:12 am

Despite what you may think, Americans do learn the metric system in school and simply choose to use imperial because it's awesome. Just like we chose to fix the Queen's English on account of it sounding ridiculous and emasculating.

Also we got a man on the moon with a slide rule. America's the best.
Back to top Go down
xanex21

PostSubject: Re: Technical: Server to Server, Maintaining a sence order   Technical:  Server to Server, Maintaining a sence order - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 4:35 am

i like SI, and i'm American
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: Technical: Server to Server, Maintaining a sence order   Technical:  Server to Server, Maintaining a sence order - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 5:59 am

fr0stbyte124 wrote:
Despite what you may think, Americans do learn the metric system in school and simply choose to use imperial because it's awesome. Just like we chose to fix the Queen's English on account of it sounding ridiculous and emasculating.

As much as I would like to sit here and draw up a table of where America went right and wrong, we don't have time. So can we get back on topic?
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: Technical: Server to Server, Maintaining a sence order   Technical:  Server to Server, Maintaining a sence order - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 7:22 am

Let's see, what were we talking about...oh yeah. Why 20 km up? With a planet 40km in circumference which I thought we established would probably be the largest, the radius of the entire planet would only be about 6.3 kilometers. That seems like an awful lot of space above the planet to be building stuff to the same grid. And you wouldn't be able to see it, either. I can push the graphics engine some, but nothing like that.
Back to top Go down
Shiva
Admin
Shiva

PostSubject: Re: Technical: Server to Server, Maintaining a sence order   Technical:  Server to Server, Maintaining a sence order - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 11:07 am

ectrimble20 wrote:
What kind of stuff do you do Shiva? I feel that of all the dev members of this mod, it is you I know the least about.

I'd assume some sort of design engineer? CADD? thats a design program right? Hell I don't know Razz

I'm learning how to do Drafting so I can properly be an Aerospace Engineer. Thus, at the moment I type this, both of my monitors have an AutoCAD window open, one open to floor plans, the other open to a personal rocket project, a la Copenhagen Suborbitals. I also happen to be an Air Force ROTC captain.

Dr. Mackeroth wrote:
As much as I would like to sit here and draw up a table of where America went right and wrong, we don't have time. So can we get back on topic?

You're right, we don't.

I think that 20km is a bit much... if we're going to scale worlds like that, the atmosphere wouldn't even be a quarter-click deep. Mightn't even have one, but we can call scientific shens and say there's a neutron star in the middle of the planet (thus taking care of our core problem, btw) and the crust is just a shell.
Back to top Go down
Keon
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Keon

PostSubject: Re: Technical: Server to Server, Maintaining a sence order   Technical:  Server to Server, Maintaining a sence order - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 11:37 am

You can't see 20 km? Is there a way you can make a floppy render for things farther away? We need that to spot the superdreadnought hanging in high earth atmoshpere. Also, 20 km up you would be dying from lack of oxygen. Especially if the mantle is 10 km down, that would explain bedrock. Wait... where do diamonds start spawning? 1km down? normal place? Where?

We need to fix the visual somehow. I'll think about it.
Back to top Go down
Laibach
General
General
Laibach

PostSubject: Re: Technical: Server to Server, Maintaining a sence order   Technical:  Server to Server, Maintaining a sence order - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 12:08 pm

fr0stbyte124 wrote:

lol, thats actually true
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: Technical: Server to Server, Maintaining a sence order   Technical:  Server to Server, Maintaining a sence order - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 5:34 pm

Keon wrote:
You can't see 20 km? Is there a way you can make a floppy render for things farther away? We need that to spot the superdreadnought hanging in high earth atmoshpere. Also, 20 km up you would be dying from lack of oxygen. Especially if the mantle is 10 km down, that would explain bedrock. Wait... where do diamonds start spawning? 1km down? normal place? Where?

We need to fix the visual somehow. I'll think about it.
You could locate things outside of your visual range with radar or some sort of overlay. If you've ever played EVE, most of the time you can't see the things you are targeting until you get up right next to them. You're just working off of HUD icons and associated info.

Last edited by fr0stbyte124 on Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: Technical: Server to Server, Maintaining a sence order   Technical:  Server to Server, Maintaining a sence order - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 6:15 pm

Okay, but remember that I was assuming that planets were 100km in diameter, not 40. So maybe 2km of air then?
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

PostSubject: Re: Technical: Server to Server, Maintaining a sence order   Technical:  Server to Server, Maintaining a sence order - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 7:02 pm

5 km of air, I say. And 5 km down. I mean, who ever actually will mine 10 km down? Have humans even gotten there yet?

Okay, after some research, here is what I have. From yahoo answers:

Today, the deepest hole ever created by humankind lies beneath the tower enclosing Kola's drill. A number of boreholes split from the central branch, but the deepest is designated "SG-3," a hole about nine inches wide which snakes over 12.262 kilometers (7.5 miles) into the Earth's crust. The drill spent twenty-four years chewing its way to that depth, until its progress was finally halted in 1994, about 2.7 kilometers (1.7 miles) short of its 15,000-meter goal.

That's not humans. That is machines, over 24 years. Yes, I know this is the future, but we don't need that deep. I get plenty of minerals for normal use from my about 64 meter below sea level minecraft ores. I think you plan on moving the ores lower, but then it will take forever to get coal on the first day.

In short: 5k air, 5k down to bedrock. 40 k around.
Back to top Go down
xanex21

PostSubject: Re: Technical: Server to Server, Maintaining a sence order   Technical:  Server to Server, Maintaining a sence order - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 9:06 pm

Where did you get 40 k? , 5 + 5= 10 . Are you talking about the borders.
Back to top Go down
Beaner
Beaner

PostSubject: Re: Technical: Server to Server, Maintaining a sence order   Technical:  Server to Server, Maintaining a sence order - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 9:07 pm

xanex21 wrote:
Where did you get 40 k? , 5 + 5= 10 . Are you talking about the borders.

I'm assuming he meant "around" as in around the world.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Technical: Server to Server, Maintaining a sence order   Technical:  Server to Server, Maintaining a sence order - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Technical: Server to Server, Maintaining a sence order
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2