Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Wow, Dem Pods

Go down 
+11
Buggy1997123
ACH0225
GLaDOS
Keon
Grand Imperial Thunder
Commander Error
mouseman89
Laibach
The Schmetterling
Last_Jedi_Standing
Tiel+
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Laibach
General
General
Laibach

Wow, Dem Pods - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wow, Dem Pods   Wow, Dem Pods - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 10:44 pm

oh that, sorry

Back to top Go down
mouseman89

PostSubject: Re: Wow, Dem Pods   Wow, Dem Pods - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 5:09 am

Tiel wrote:
Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:
Tiel wrote:
It's really not that hard. If you have a cryobay in your ship, stroll over and walk to it to temporarily make your ship, and any associated fleet, to vanish, and you log off. I don't see how that could be inconvenient for anyone not in combat.
What if you're not on a ship? You could get stranded. Or your cryotanks could be full of neurotoxin.

I said this only applies to when the mod sees you as on a ship. Groundside you can log off whenever.

Though to be honest, I don't think this could work. The captain could just have his cryobay right on the bridge...I think there should be the ghost ship method mentioned earlier that lasts for 30 seconds so you don't want to log off in a warzone. I still think the cryotube could serve the other functions, though, and still be a mildly useful cosmetic..

The thing is with the ghost ship, a smaller less equipped ship could easily damage the ship severely while it was still there. i think a method that would work is that cryo bays are an entire room, that cant be place within say 75 blocks of the bridge, OR it could take much longer to logout as if you were sleeping in a bed but 3-5 times longer to dissaude people from leaving in the middle of battle.

my only other idea is that you have to be planetside or docked in a spacestation to logout, considering that i doubt you would be too far from either a planet you can land on or a friendly space station.
Back to top Go down
ACH0225
General
General
ACH0225

PostSubject: Re: Wow, Dem Pods   Wow, Dem Pods - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 5:52 pm

What about people who have something urgent to do. I am a king of a unified planetary government. It happens a LOT. Also, my graphics card is cruddy and I need to requisition a new one from a hardware store in you're plain of existence.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Wow, Dem Pods   Wow, Dem Pods - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 6:11 pm

ACH0225 wrote:
What about people who have something urgent to do. I am a king of a unified planetary government. It happens a LOT. Also, my graphics card is cruddy and I need to requisition a new one from a hardware store in you're plain of existence.

I was thinking that too. Maybe StarGate jumps take a while and hopping into a cryotube will expedite the process.
Back to top Go down
mouseman89

PostSubject: Re: Wow, Dem Pods   Wow, Dem Pods - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 7:48 pm

GLaD0S wrote:
ACH0225 wrote:

I was thinking that too. Maybe StarGate jumps take a while and hopping into a cryotube will expedite the process.

what if you simply cant logout it a non-allied ship is within firing range. and you cant logout unless you land on a planet, dock with a space station or use a cryo tube when there isnt ships within firing range and you havent been shot at or shot at anyone within the past minute or so.
Back to top Go down
Buggy1997123
DEV
DEV
Buggy1997123

PostSubject: Re: Wow, Dem Pods   Wow, Dem Pods - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 9:25 am

I thought we were going with the third option, your ship is ALWAYS there, so if you log out in the middle of a battle that just means it has 1 less crew member and is that much easier to shoot out of the sky.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Wow, Dem Pods   Wow, Dem Pods - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 10:36 am

Buggy1997123 wrote:
I thought we were going with the third option, your ship is ALWAYS there, so if you log out in the middle of a battle that just means it has 1 less crew member and is that much easier to shoot out of the sky.

I hope to god not. If this mod is as revolutionary as you guys are making it out to be there's going to be a crapload of ships flying about; making the ship disappear is the most feasible option...Not to mention MC doesn't render chunks without a player in the immediate area, so..
Back to top Go down
GLaDOS
Infantry
Infantry
GLaDOS

PostSubject: Re: Wow, Dem Pods   Wow, Dem Pods - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 4:50 pm

mouseman89 wrote:
GLaD0S wrote:
ACH0225 wrote:

what if you simply cant logout it a non-allied ship is within firing range. and you cant logout unless you land on a planet, dock with a space station or use a cryo tube when there isnt ships within firing range and you havent been shot at or shot at anyone within the past minute or so.

That raises the problem of people who have to go. They would have to let their Minecraftians just sit there.
Back to top Go down
https://futurecraft.forumotion.com
Buggy1997123
DEV
DEV
Buggy1997123

PostSubject: Re: Wow, Dem Pods   Wow, Dem Pods - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 5:17 pm

GlaD0S wrote:
Buggy1997123 wrote:

I hope to god not. If this mod is as revolutionary as you guys are making it out to be there's going to be a crapload of ships flying about; making the ship disappear is the most feasible option...Not to mention MC doesn't render chunks without a player in the immediate area, so..
You worry about spaceships while Minecraft displays over a million polygons at any given time while in a normal world. Without our optimizations.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Wow, Dem Pods   Wow, Dem Pods - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 6:08 pm

Buggy1997123 wrote:
GlaD0S wrote:
Buggy1997123 wrote:

You worry about spaceships while Minecraft displays over a million polygons at any given time while in a normal world. Without our optimizations.

Holy crap, you mean it renders as much polygons as a...REAL video game!? tongue
Back to top Go down
Buggy1997123
DEV
DEV
Buggy1997123

PostSubject: Re: Wow, Dem Pods   Wow, Dem Pods - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 9:08 pm

GlaD0S wrote:
Buggy1997123 wrote:
GlaD0S wrote:
Buggy1997123 wrote:

Holy crap, you mean it renders as much polygons as a...REAL video game!? tongue
Yes, unless im mistaken every single block face has 2 polygons. Pillar up a few dozen blocks on normal and you can see a LOT of block faces.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: Wow, Dem Pods   Wow, Dem Pods - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 3:27 am

Minecraft's use of polygons is really naive, and there is tons of room for improvement. First of all, there are 4 vertices complete with full lighting, color, and texture, for every rendered face. Since the texture between two blocks may be different, the vertices between two adjacent faces cannot be shared.

The new render engine is getting built from scratch with the concept that geometry and surface data are completely separate elements. This allows the terrain to be simplified to the fewest number of vertices and polygons necessary to display the scene. Everything from culling and shaders to memory management to the disk storage format is getting mercilessly optimized with novel techniques which take full advantage of the cubic aspects of the game world. The algorithms are all basically done, save for some benchmark tweaking, and I'm in the middle of coding the testbed application now.

Yesterday I got it to decode the Anvil file format, and today I've been finalizing the new file format, which I really need to figure out a good name for.
The main thing about this one is that chunks are 32x32x32 blocks and the physical mappings are reduced to 2 32^3 bit arrays, one for matching exposed blocks, and one for the bordering air. Block ID and meta data have all empty and hidden spaces removed (the bit array can restore them), and the air array maps the light values in the same way.
Furthermore, all the geometry rendering can be derived from bit-wise operations between the two mappings, allowing you to do amazing things like detecting 32 faces at a time with a single line of code. This alone would make a huge performance boost in loading and rendering time, but it's a drop in the bucket compared to the other optimizations planned.

Last edited by fr0stbyte124 on Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Wow, Dem Pods   Wow, Dem Pods - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 3:29 am

fr0stbyte124 wrote:
Minecraft's use of polygons is really naive, and there is tons of room for improvement. First of all, there are 4 vertices complete with full lighting, color, and texture, for every rendered face. Since the texture between two blocks may be different, the vertices between two adjacent faces cannot be shared.

The new render engine is getting built from scratch with the concept that geometry and surface data are completely separate elements. This allows the terrain to be simplified to the fewest number of vertices and polygons necessary to display the scene. Everything from culling and shaders to memory management to the disk storage format is getting mercilessly optimized with novel techniques which take full advantage of the cubic aspects of the game world. The algorithms are all basically done, save for some benchmark tweaking, and I'm in the middle of coding the testbed application now.

Testbed application?
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: Wow, Dem Pods   Wow, Dem Pods - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 3:55 am

GlaD0S wrote:

Testbed application?
For performance testing and simple prototyping. Minecraft has a lot of elements running in the background which makes it hard to get an apples-to-apples comparison of performance. Also, since this doesn't go through a launcher, I can use an OpenGL profiler to test how the new techniques run on actual hardware

Essentially it will consist of a simple world model, a file loader, basic keyboard/mouse control, and the new graphics engine.
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: Wow, Dem Pods   Wow, Dem Pods - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 6:09 pm

fr0stbyte124 wrote:
GlaD0S wrote:

Testbed application?
For performance testing and simple prototyping. Minecraft has a lot of elements running in the background which makes it hard to get an apples-to-apples comparison of performance. Also, since this doesn't go through a launcher, I can use an OpenGL profiler to test how the new techniques run on actual hardware

Essentially it will consist of a simple world model, a file loader, basic keyboard/mouse control, and the new graphics engine.

Okay...
Back to top Go down
Avenger_7
Sergeant
Sergeant
Avenger_7

PostSubject: Re: Wow, Dem Pods   Wow, Dem Pods - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 08, 2012 6:15 pm

so...off....topic....

getting back to the original purpose of this thread....

cryopods for logging out will not work well. There needs to be a fast logout method that isn't overly exploitable in combat. I suggest a cloaking/jump system.

This should work very well. when someone has to go, they can do one of 3 things.
a) just leave - takes the crew down by 1. No biggie.
b) plot a jump to a different system - default retreat method. takes, say, 15 seconds for warp drive to kick in and jump you out of battle so you can log off safely without getting raped or cheating.
c) cloak system - this could be very helpful tactically and from a convenience standpoint. The ship can cloak in place, fading from view over the course of 20 seconds or so. Cloaked ships cease to exist as an entity if the captain logs out. Firing reveals small ships temporarily. Due to the massive amount of energy required to hide large ships in this manner, their movement speed while cloaked is reduced and no weapons may be fired until decloaked. Cloaking requires a high tier core to implement even in small ships.

This comes in handy for executing ambushes, as well as adding the ability to de - render your ship when you log out and have it still be in the same place when you come back. Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
ACH0225
General
General
ACH0225

PostSubject: Re: Wow, Dem Pods   Wow, Dem Pods - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 08, 2012 7:46 pm

I like the ship disappearing better, but it raises one problem. If you dock in a port, then log off, and another ship docks where you were docked, what happens to the ships.....
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: Wow, Dem Pods   Wow, Dem Pods - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 7:16 am

ACH0225 wrote:
I like the ship disappearing better, but it raises one problem. If you dock in a port, then log off, and another ship docks where you were docked, what happens to the ships.....

You obviously won't need to cloak in a friendly dock, it is for emergencies in combat situations, as it uses a lot of power.
Back to top Go down
Commander Kobialka
Sergeant
Sergeant
Commander Kobialka

PostSubject: Re: Wow, Dem Pods   Wow, Dem Pods - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 7:49 pm

Legion wrote:
I'd hope so, yeah. There's a plugin called CombatLog that spawns an NPC of you after you logout for PVP servers, so the concept isn't unfeasible. This might also make you want to install more defenses to keep people from killing you in your sleep, but I also forsee Space Odyssey 2001 scenarios taking place if the AIs come into the picture. Very Happy

I used to have a friend that would play Minecraft when his parents did not want him to. When he heard his parents coming he would log out really fast. It always annoyed me. What if someone logs out before going into a cryopod? Sorry I did not read all the OP but thats what I got from it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thecraftersmakevideos.webs.com
Buggy1997123
DEV
DEV
Buggy1997123

PostSubject: Re: Wow, Dem Pods   Wow, Dem Pods - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 9:43 pm

fr0stbyte124 wrote:
Yesterday I got it to decode the Anvil file format, and today I've been finalizing the new file format, which I really need to figure out a good name for.
How about Architect? Unique, simple, and easy to remember.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: Wow, Dem Pods   Wow, Dem Pods - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 11:39 pm

Buggy1997123 wrote:
fr0stbyte124 wrote:
How about Architect? Unique, simple, and easy to remember.
I'd prefer something less directly related to Minecraft so that it works as a search term.
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

PostSubject: Re: Wow, Dem Pods   Wow, Dem Pods - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 6:20 pm

How about Delta? Or Dragon. Or Owl. I like .owl, that sounds nice.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Wow, Dem Pods   Wow, Dem Pods - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 6:24 pm

It'd certainly make it unique.

I personally rename all my files to .legion
Back to top Go down
Buggy1997123
DEV
DEV
Buggy1997123

PostSubject: Re: Wow, Dem Pods   Wow, Dem Pods - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 7:00 pm

Hmm... What about .space?
.galaxy?
.universe?
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: Wow, Dem Pods   Wow, Dem Pods - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 7:38 pm

Buggy1997123 wrote:
Hmm... What about .space?
.galaxy?
.universe?

Or: .fc

As in FutureCraft.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wow, Dem Pods   Wow, Dem Pods - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wow, Dem Pods