Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Ship size classes

Go down 
+12
Grand Imperial Thunder
Commander Kobialka
Soul of Jack
The Schmetterling
Keon
Shiva
kennysmith1234
blockman42
Iv121
Tiel+
Commander Error
Last_Jedi_Standing
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Do you think that...
We don't need a standard system.
Ship size classes - Page 5 Vote_lcap32%Ship size classes - Page 5 Vote_rcap
 32% [ 7 ]
We should have a system with the same format as the one in the OP here.
Ship size classes - Page 5 Vote_lcap23%Ship size classes - Page 5 Vote_rcap
 23% [ 5 ]
We should have a system of cores, like the one on page 7.
Ship size classes - Page 5 Vote_lcap32%Ship size classes - Page 5 Vote_rcap
 32% [ 7 ]
You have a different type of system (please post).
Ship size classes - Page 5 Vote_lcap5%Ship size classes - Page 5 Vote_rcap
 5% [ 1 ]
That one random option.
Ship size classes - Page 5 Vote_lcap8%Ship size classes - Page 5 Vote_rcap
 8% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 22

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
Tiel+
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Tiel+

Ship size classes - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 5:39 pm

Am I missing something here?

Okay, re read that post and I have to say I like the idea, but we still need to refine that to something more usable. Then figure out ship volumes for the various classes, and come to think of it, the classes themselves.

Since it seems we're all in agreement on the core system, I think the poll should be which naming convention we should follow (excluding block sizes for now)

Tiel's system - Corvette, CCorvette, Frigate, AFrigate, Cruiser, BCruiser, Juggernaut, Dreadnought

Jedi's system - replaces Juggernaut with Battleship

Iv's system - Corvette, Cruiser, Destroyer, Juggernaut (wut?)

You are a sheep and like the old system.

From there we'll move on to what size each class should be.

Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 5:48 pm

Also, Jedi, took another look at the block sizes in the naming system. It's realistic, which is sometimes good, but I don't think you took into consideration how unfeasible these are ingame.
Back to top Go down
kennysmith1234
kennysmith1234

PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 6:08 pm

I do believe that the ship system should be this:

Personal Transport (small ships, fighters, etc;).
Smaller Cargo Vessel (lower-middle class ships).
Medium Cargo Vessel (frigates, small offensive ships, small transports).
Heavy Cargo Vessel (heavy military ships, large transports, bomber).
Dreadnought (Big, feisty, smexy, and usually very well armored).
Dafuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuq? class vessel [Planetoid-Dreadnought] (AKA Fatty, AKA Beast, AKA The Best Bang since the Big One).

Fitting? Wink
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 6:10 pm

kennysmith1234 wrote:
I do believe that the ship system should be this:

Personal Transport (small ships, fighters, etc;).
Smaller Cargo Vessel (lower-middle class ships).
Medium Cargo Vessel (frigates, small offensive ships, small transports).
Heavy Cargo Vessel (heavy military ships, large transports, bomber).
Dreadnought (Big, feisty, smexy, and usually very well armored).
Dafuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuq? class vessel [Planetoid-Dreadnought] (AKA Fatty, AKA Beast, AKA The Best Bang since the Big One).

Fitting? Wink
Why are they all cargo ships?
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 6:14 pm

Tiel wrote:
Am I missing something here?

Okay, re read that post and I have to say I like the idea, but we still need to refine that to something more usable. Then figure out ship volumes for the various classes, and come to think of it, the classes themselves.

Since it seems we're all in agreement on the core system, I think the poll should be which naming convention we should follow (excluding block sizes for now)

Tiel's system - Corvette, CCorvette, Frigate, AFrigate, Cruiser, BCruiser, Juggernaut, Dreadnought

Jedi's system - replaces Juggernaut with Battleship

Iv's system - Corvette, Cruiser, Destroyer, Juggernaut (wut?)

You are a sheep and like the old system.

From there we'll move on to what size each class should be.

If we have the core system, we don't necessarily need a naming convention. Ships can be classified as Tier 1, Tier 2, etc, and people will know that a Tier 4 ship is larger and stronger than a Tier 2 ship. It has the added bonus that it directly affects the ship's abilities.
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 6:17 pm

Sure. 6 tiers, then we have modules like:

Weapon Module
Special Weapon Module
Power Generator Module
Shield Module
Plating Module
Block Module
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 6:23 pm

Tying names to the different cores is simply for an aesthetic effect. Personally I'd much rather say that '15 cruisers are on approach' instead of 'hurrrr 15 tier 5 ships r cuming!11!'

It does serve a purpose outside of that, if you named a Tier 5 a Juggernaut core and a Tier 3 a Corvette core, there'll be less confusion over which does which and how many blocks it supports. And to be frank, I'd rather the hour I spent typing that post up not go to waste.

As for the how this would work..

[Tier I] Corvette Core
[Tier II] Frigate Core
[Tier III] Cruiser Core
[Tier IV] Juggernaut Core
[Tier V] Dreadnought Core
[

Using my naming thingamajig. <--According to Chrome that is a real word.

Keon, what would the 6th core go to?
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 6:42 pm

Tiel wrote:
Keon, what would the 6th core go to?
The Death Star.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 6:44 pm

Orbital defense platforms. Gotcha.
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 6:49 pm

6th core == giant floating ball that shoots particles encircled by a ring. Lightning jumps between them or something, and outside there is only infinite whiteness.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 6:52 pm

I find it amusing that Minecraft has been officially 'released', yet there's still no vanilla protection for builds like half the playerbase suggested back in Alpha, or even server software worth a damn. The whole bloody game relies on 3rd party hosters patient enough to put up with Mojang's crap.

I'm really hoping that FC doesn't follow in Notch's footsteps.
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 3:12 am

I think that if I want to stick a Juggernaut core for an uber cannon on my freaking frigate so be it, it won't turn the frigate into a Juggernaut . And if I want a carrier without weapons ? I will put a cruiser core on it , it won't be a cruiser ...
Ship size makes more sense ...

I'm in random choice for now BTW as you haven't put "a new standard system (that is not in the OP ) for all ships "
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 4:09 am

Keon wrote:

Weapon Module
Special Weapon Module
Power Generator Module
Shield Module
Plating Module
Block Module

Exactly! That's my official decision, which I made a month ago, and I am sticking to it.
Back to top Go down
Avenger_7
Sergeant
Sergeant
Avenger_7

PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 11:24 am

Iv121 wrote:
I think that if I want to stick a Juggernaut core for an uber cannon on my freaking frigate so be it, it won't turn the frigate into a Juggernaut . And if I want a carrier without weapons ? I will put a cruiser core on it , it won't be a cruiser ...
Ship size makes more sense ...

I'm in random choice for now BTW as you haven't put "a new standard system (that is not in the OP ) for all ships "

No, that'd be an artillery / support ship...

High end cores would be really complex to build, so it'd be hard to justify using a tier 5 or 6 core just so you can put one huge gun on a ship. The said, the idea with size scaling and cores is that you will want a bigger ship to take full advantage of the capabilities of the core you're using, but you still have the tactical freedom to do things like that glass cannon build if you want to.

Lord Mackeroth wrote:
Keon wrote:

Weapon Module
Special Weapon Module
Power Generator Module
Shield Module
Plating Module
Block Module

Exactly! That's my official decision, which I made a month ago, and I am sticking to it.

^ Very Happy ^

semi-related: I think the block module would be a bad idea; it works fine on smaller ships but it would take up too many slots on dreadnoughts...Why not just make i so you can link another core to the existing one to expand the block count and number of slots? It could be limited for lower tier cores but allow it for the expensive ones to help with balance issues.
Oh, by the way, the post about the core system is on page 6.....
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 12:22 pm

Avenger_7 wrote:
Oh, by the way, the post about the core system is on page 6.....
I know it is. I can't edit a poll once people have voted, or I'd have fixed it.

Alright, it looks like we're going to have a core system. I think everyone agrees that:

Tier 1: Corvettes, gunships, shuttles, dropships
Tier 2: Frigates, diplomatic ships, large ones are Assault Frigates
Tier 3: Cruisers, large ones are Battlecruisers.
Tier 4: ?

The next poll will be to determine what Tier 4 should be called, and the one after that will be to determine Tier 5.

It's also possible that Assault Frigates and Battlecruisers will be their own Tiers.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 12:27 pm

Large Corvettes are Combat Corvettes.

What will be our options for Tier 4?
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 1:24 pm

Battleships , remove the battlecruiser from tier 3 as battlecruisers and battleships are pretty much the same , and a battlecruiser is bigger than a cruiser so those two shouldn't be together.

Tier 5 will be dreadnaughts, Juggernauts and other extremely big or power consuming stuff... Death stars included Smile .
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 1:26 pm

Relax Iv, we're gonna vote on it.

And I keep telling you, Battleship =/= Battlecruiser

A Battlecruiser is a cruiser with a Battleship's weapons. Ergo, no need for a Battleship if a Battlecruiser is superior both in speed and firepower.
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 1:40 pm

Tiel wrote:
Relax Iv, we're gonna vote on it.

And I keep telling you, Battleship =/= Battlecruiser

A Battlecruiser is a cruiser with a Battleship's weapons. Ergo, no need for a Battleship if a Battlecruiser is superior both in speed and firepower.

If a battlecruiser is superior in firepower and speed it's overpowered ... besides if you use the mass system I suggested protecting that ship will make it willingly or unwillingly a battleship in size.

And I'm relaxed it's not like I'm shouting on the other side of the net, to show this I will put a spam of happy smilies
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 2:12 pm

I mean you're getting ahead of yourself. It's beyond me whether the devs are going to pull a Notch and ignore this thread, but as far as I know we're going to vote on this in segments.

As far as Battleships go, why would you use a Battleship when you can get a Battlecruiser with the same weapons and faster? Not to mention 'Battleship' just sounds so clunky as far as space jargon goes; 'Battlecruiser' implies something speedy yet deadly.
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 2:22 pm

Lord Mackeroth wrote:
Keon wrote:

Weapon Module
Special Weapon Module
Power Generator Module
Shield Module
Plating Module
Block Module

The Notch has spoken. May His word be praised.

Yes, we are pulling a Notch on you.
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 2:26 pm

You mean you have a subsystem in the middle of the ship's hull that's responsible for the armor plating ?
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 2:31 pm

One thing I fail to realize is why Mackeroth is project lead. Not trying to instigate anything, but if the other devs are doing the lion's share of the work and Mack is just sitting back and making textures, there's some discrepancy here.
Back to top Go down
hyperlite
Captain
Captain
hyperlite

PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 2:32 pm

That's not gonna go over well Tiel...
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 2:34 pm

No, but which way will it go over?

I'm with Mackeroth, he has more humor.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ship size classes   Ship size classes - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ship size classes
Page 5 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next