Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

The Singularity.

Go down 
+2
Pat Best
Keon
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Keon
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Keon

The Singularity. Empty
PostSubject: The Singularity.   The Singularity. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 2:14 am

Who thinks it will happen? What are your opinions on it? I just saw a talk claiming that with the exponential growth of technology, the Khala and Unity aren't far off. (Not his real words, my interpretation.)

I personally can't wait, as long as becoming a cyborg doesn't make me have a giant face-mask like the Borg and I don't have to have surgery or lots of injections. Your thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

The Singularity. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Singularity.   The Singularity. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 2:17 am

Talk from who?

Neither the Advent or the Protoss force you to have cybernetic implants.
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

The Singularity. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Singularity.   The Singularity. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 2:19 am

And I don't want the rest of the world messing with my awesome mind.
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

The Singularity. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Singularity.   The Singularity. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 2:20 am

Ray Kurzweil. And I know that, your point?

Why u no like Khala?

Anyway, I mostly wonder whether it will happen in my life. I think it is likely.
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

The Singularity. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Singularity.   The Singularity. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 2:23 am

Basically I figure my mind to be more awesome than the average human's and I don't want them sneaking about in my awesomeness.

They don't have the right.

Hell... even without that I don't want to get a look at what's in their mind.

Bunch of f*cking retards will have me depressed for the state of human existence.
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

The Singularity. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Singularity.   The Singularity. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 2:26 am

My thoughts exactly. How in the world did those Protoss and Unity become so perfect?
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

The Singularity. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Singularity.   The Singularity. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 2:27 am

Keon wrote:
My thoughts exactly. How in the world did those Protoss and Unity become so perfect?

The Protoss are mighty intelligent and the Advent's Unity is more descriptive than the Khala, it is not only a union of mind and spirit, but also of values. Basically, they all think the same way and see life the same way. ( Not to the point of being all the exact same but rather they all agree on what's best ) Anyone who does not is shunned and then sent into a Seeker vessel for a kamikazee attack.
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

The Singularity. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Singularity.   The Singularity. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 2:32 am

The Protoss also had the luck to be initiated to the Khala very earlier in their collective existence, where there were very little differences in ways of life.

Humans nowadays vary greatly in lifestyles and even upon feeling another person's entire life, you probably still wouldn't understand or accept why he acts the way he does.
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

The Singularity. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Singularity.   The Singularity. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 2:36 am

Alright, with genetic modification, I can become 8 ft tall, also eat sunlight. The psionics would be hard. Most likely just send brainwaves, thus consciousness over the Cloud. Then we start increasing intelligence and lifespan. With the technology, stalkers, power suits, and colossi are built. Others also come with me. We become greater minds, and thus I can actually be among equals, and thus the Khala makes sense. So; in conclusion, Human goes off to dark cave, comes out Protoss, wins world.

And Pat, the Khala united feuding tribes of Protoss.
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

The Singularity. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Singularity.   The Singularity. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 2:38 am

Quote :
And Pat, the Khala united feuding tribes of Protoss.

Yes I know I re-read that book just yesterday.

But that is because their feuds had no base, it was all misdirected anger, and they realized that. Once they experienced the Khala, they realized that they all lived almost exactly the same.

Live in the same homes, wield the same weapons, have the same abilities. Some defend artifacts, others try to destroy them but in the end it's all the same.

This is extremely different from human society as we know it today.
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

The Singularity. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Singularity.   The Singularity. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 3:42 am

This is... odd.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

The Singularity. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Singularity.   The Singularity. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 5:18 am

Personally I don't think the singularity will happen, or rather not in the way that the trend would predict. The human factor which will eventually prove to be the bottleneck on progress. If genetic or cybernetic augmentation starts happening, or if AI becomes up to the task of advancing technology on its own (which is still very far away; human brains are amazing), that may change, but such significant changes probably won't take place in the span of a single generation.
Back to top Go down
Laibach
General
General
Laibach

The Singularity. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Singularity.   The Singularity. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 2:59 pm

NECRO (i think)

I really doubt this would happen, having a single mind would exterminate humanity

unless you just mean accessing the internet with your mind, or something, that wouldn't be too hard, but its not so much the brain that's amazing as the mind, that's why we don't have sentient computers, the top 10 supercomputers are way more powerful than the brain, but they aren't sentient

that's my long response for today
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

The Singularity. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Singularity.   The Singularity. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 3:20 pm

CoalMiningAlchemist wrote:
NECRO (i think)

I really doubt this would happen, having a single mind would exterminate humanity

unless you just mean accessing the internet with your mind, or something, that wouldn't be too hard, but its not so much the brain that's amazing as the mind, that's why we don't have sentient computers, the top 10 supercomputers are way more powerful than the brain, but they aren't sentient

How do you figure a single mind would exterminate humanity?
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

The Singularity. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Singularity.   The Singularity. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 4:13 pm

Pat (the) Best wrote:
NECRO (i think)

A mind with 7,000,000,000+ personalities would be a psychiatrist's dream. It would go insane and do weird things. The whole situation would be bad.
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

The Singularity. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Singularity.   The Singularity. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 4:16 pm

I find your lack of faith in the Unity ... What is the quote... Disturbing. There.
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

The Singularity. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Singularity.   The Singularity. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 4:36 pm

Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:
Pat (the) Best wrote:
NECRO (i think)

A mind with 7,000,000,000+ personalities would be a psychiatrist's dream. It would go insane and do weird things. The whole situation would be bad.

It's not like that. You can feel what everyone else feels, see what they think, but you remain an individual. The theory behind it is that if you see this person has been raised by parents, like you, and has children which he loves, like you, and a wife/husband which he / she also loves, like you, and everyday he gets up to go to work, like you, etc..., it would be impossible for you to hate him because you know he's just like you.

But then again, my previous point is, I don't want people in my head, knowing what I'm feeling, what I'm thinking, what I'm living.
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

The Singularity. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Singularity.   The Singularity. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 4:44 pm

Pat (the) Best wrote:
Pat (the) Best wrote:
NECRO (i think)

It's not like that. You can feel what everyone else feels, see what they think, but you remain an individual. The theory behind it is that if you see this person has been raised by parents, like you, and has children which he loves, like you, and a wife/husband which he / she also loves, like you, and everyday he gets up to go to work, like you, etc..., it would be impossible for you to hate him because you know he's just like you.

But then again, my previous point is, I don't want people in my head, knowing what I'm feeling, what I'm thinking, what I'm living.
I don't think that means you can't hate him. If I knew someone was just like me, I wouldn't want to have anything to do with that person.
Back to top Go down
Laibach
General
General
Laibach

The Singularity. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Singularity.   The Singularity. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 5:15 pm

Pat (the) Best wrote:
Pat (the) Best wrote:
NECRO (i think)

I don't think that means you can't hate him. If I knew someone was just like me, I wouldn't want to have anything to do with that person.

same, well, depending on the relationship

and I meant that if we all had one mind, or a bunch of connected ones eventually it would break apart or solidify into one unity, so we either lose our humanity (bodies, individuality, social interaction, and probably senses) or separate out of the universe mind thing

either way it ends with universal collapse
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

The Singularity. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Singularity.   The Singularity. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 5:38 pm

Pat (the) Best wrote:
Pat (the) Best wrote:
NECRO (i think)

same, well, depending on the relationship

and I meant that if we all had one mind, or a bunch of connected ones eventually it would break apart or solidify into one unity, so we either lose our humanity (bodies, individuality, social interaction, and probably senses) or separate out of the universe mind thing

either way it ends with universal collapse
If we all share one mind, and an alien hits one of us with a rock, will we all be concussed? Question
Back to top Go down
Laibach
General
General
Laibach

The Singularity. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Singularity.   The Singularity. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 5:40 pm

no, thats like teh server for this forum going down

it doesn't pull the internet down with it, just takes part of it away

unless of course that server performed some vital task for the rest of the 'net
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

The Singularity. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Singularity.   The Singularity. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 5:45 pm

no, thats like teh server for this forum going down

it doesn't pull the internet down with it, just takes part of it away

unless of course that server performed some vital task for the rest of the 'net
But if we're all one mind, we have the same thoughts, emotions, and feelings. I read a book, whose name I can't remember, where they were fighting an enemy hive-mind type thing, sorta like this. They caught one member and threatened to torture it. The pain would be felt by the entire mind. This is an obvious downside to this sort of thing.
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

The Singularity. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Singularity.   The Singularity. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 6:52 pm

Think of this. I kill one of your cells. That part is one part of you, ie if it dies, part of you dies.

Do you writhe in pain and then die?
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

The Singularity. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Singularity.   The Singularity. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 6:55 pm

Keon wrote:
Think of this. I kill one of your cells. That part is one part of you, ie if it dies, part of you dies.

Do you writhe in pain and then die?
No. However, if you subjected that cell to unending torture, which was passed to all my other cells, I would be very unhappy.
Back to top Go down
Laibach
General
General
Laibach

The Singularity. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Singularity.   The Singularity. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 7:00 pm

obviously, most cells don't feel pain, so in a hive type mind the menial-slave minds (if it had them..?) wouldn't be important and could be replaced

I guess

but yeah, if you screwed up a vital mind(torture?) I guess that would be a disability

what are we talking about?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Singularity. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Singularity.   The Singularity. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Singularity.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Futurecraft Forums :: General Area :: Off-Topic Area-
Jump to: