Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Currency System

Go down 
+12
Iv121
Last_Jedi_Standing
Tiel+
Leonidas8227882
The Schmetterling
Soul of Jack
Grand Imperial Thunder
ACH0225
tonyri
Laibach
hell2o
Danice123
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

Currency System - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Currency System   Currency System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 2:23 pm

Let's see - work hours are money aren't they ? So the worth of a stuff is determined by how much time you work to get it. If we take some basic stuff that we know it's easy to get - cobble , we give it a worth of let's say 2 credits and we compare the time we need to get 64 cobble with let's say a diamond pickaxe to the time we need to get let's say 64 diamonds (we won't dig 64 diamonds just 4 let's say and then multiple the time by 16) . If digging those 4 diamonds took me half a hour, we can get 64 diamonds in 8 hours, while 64 cobble we get in one minute. 64*2 = 128 so 128 is the work minute worth. now 128*8*60 will be 61,440 per 64 diamonds or 960 per diamond, pretty fair isn't ? This will give us the basic worth of an item that we can later fix depending on the community's needs, that's why we're here after all - to test and help with balance. It can even change ingame depending on the demand for the specific material (A mod can see how many purchases of each stuff were made and choose a price depending on that)
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Currency System   Currency System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 2:32 pm

Iv121 wrote:
Let's see - work hours are money aren't they ? So the worth of a stuff is determined by how much time you work to get it. If we take some basic stuff that we know it's easy to get - cobble , we give it a worth of let's say 2 credits and we compare the time we need to get 64 cobble with let's say a diamond pickaxe to the time we need to get let's say 64 diamonds (we won't dig 64 diamonds just 4 let's say and then multiple the time by 16) . If digging those 4 diamonds took me half a hour, we can get 64 diamonds in 8 hours, while 64 cobble we get in one minute. 64*2 = 128 so 128 is the work minute worth. now 128*8*60 will be 61,440 per 64 diamonds or 960 per diamond, pretty fair isn't ? This will give us the basic worth of an item that we can later fix depending on the community's needs, that's why we're here after all - to test and help with balance. It can even change ingame depending on the demand for the specific material (A mod can see how many purchases of each stuff were made and choose a price depending on that)
I think that would work for the sort of trade you get on normal servers, but what we'll have is much more complicated. More goes into something like a battlecruiser than just the time it takes. It takes exactly the same amount of time of build a ship out of dirt as it does to make one out of diamonds.
Back to top Go down
lukas_schjodt
lukas_schjodt

PostSubject: Re: Currency System   Currency System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 2:36 pm

Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:
Iv121 wrote:
I think that would work for the sort of trade you get on normal servers, but what we'll have is much more complicated. More goes into something like a battlecruiser than just the time it takes. It takes exactly the same amount of time of build a ship out of dirt as it does to make one out of diamonds.

good point. have not thought about that
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PostSubject: Re: Currency System   Currency System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 2:38 pm

No I was talking about raw materials. When it comes to more complicated stuff such as crafted items or built ships their cost is decided depending on the materials they use. If I make a block of diamonds from 9 diamonds it will cost 9*960 or 8640 credits .
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Currency System   Currency System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 2:41 pm

Iv121 wrote:
No I was talking about raw materials. When it comes to more complicated stuff such as crafted items or built ships their cost is decided depending on the materials they use. If I make a block of diamonds from 9 diamonds it will cost 9*960 or 8640 credits .
So I spend weeks working on a ship (not unreasonable, for the large ones), and I only get paid for the raw materials? You're going to see lots of ships with diamond blocks hidden under the hull plating.
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PostSubject: Re: Currency System   Currency System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 2:45 pm

It's your problem if you spend years making a dirt car Razz . The quality of the ship and it’s materials are what decides the cost of your ship. And as for the diamonds it's up to the one who buys to make sure his product is worth it's price, I'm not going to buy a diamond toilet if my toilet is not only cheaper but also superior in design (Oh the sweet hours spent in the toilet Very Happy ) .

Besides adding those diamonds will cost the ship maker too, so he gains no profit from it or even looses money on it as nobody will want to pay for his product.
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Currency System   Currency System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 2:48 pm

Iv121 wrote:
It's your problem if you spend years making a dirt car Razz . The quality of the ship and it’s materials are what decides the cost of your ship. And as for the diamonds it's up to the one who buys to make sure his product is worth it's price, I'm not going to buy a diamond toilet if my toilet is not only cheaper but also superior in design (Oh the sweet hours spent in the toilet Very Happy ) .
How do you judge the quality of the ship? It's easy to stick a number on a bunch of blocks, but much harder to rate how well it works. This would rand a sleek, practical combat vessel and a ball with engines the same if they were made of the same stuff, but the good ship would obviously be better than the ball. How much better? How much is 'better' worth? These are the things that will be a problem.
Back to top Go down
lukas_schjodt
lukas_schjodt

PostSubject: Re: Currency System   Currency System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 2:50 pm

i would say that the price is up to the maker to judge. if you think the price is good buy it. is it to expensive DONT

EDIT: i just ruined a cool idea of currency Sad
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PostSubject: Re: Currency System   Currency System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 2:58 pm

How do you judge the quality of the ship? It's easy to stick a number on a bunch of blocks, but much harder to rate how well it works. This would rand a sleek, practical combat vessel and a ball with engines the same if they were made of the same stuff, but the good ship would obviously be better than the ball. How much better? How much is 'better' worth? These are the things that will be a problem.

This is more of a problem. At least half of the quality is determined by the material used. If your ship is designed very well but it's made out of cobble it won't stand a chance against a worse design with titanium plating. I will evaluate my ships with DMG made per second (the DMG each one of my weapons make per second. To make it more accurate we may check each weapon during one minute and then divide by 60, it will give us the true DMG with reload time included). Then I give certain amount of points for speed (depending on the ship class the credits will be divided by different numbers so 100 Km/h on a frigate will give much less than 100 Km/h on a destroyer. As we didn't come to an agreement about the measuring system we simply count blocks on the ship and determine groups (Like A ,B ,C etc.) ). As we can't really evaluate the armor of a ship we consider the shield points of a ship while the armor plating is included in the material cost.
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PostSubject: Re: Currency System   Currency System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 3:01 pm

And lukas has a point. Those tools may help you to decide what should be the possible cost for the ship and what cost you should give it. You can OFC make a high price but others may use those tools to evaluate the right cost of the ship. If your costs are similar or not that different the one who buys will probably buy the ship. If your cost is ridiculous you will probably loose your clients.
Back to top Go down
Laibach
General
General
Laibach

PostSubject: Re: Currency System   Currency System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 3:06 pm

I agree with lukas, I think economies should be left alone

unless they never show up, then a bit of tweaking or something.
Back to top Go down
ACH0225
General
General
ACH0225

PostSubject: Re: Currency System   Currency System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 3:50 pm

Tiel wrote:
It should be handled with Credit chits and such. No actual coins, that would diminish the 'Future' part of this mod's name.
Yes. I'm in favor of the Imperial Credit, which isn't really a physical thing. They're carried on credit sticks, which are sorta like flash drives.

I think we should have multiple currencies, for yuks and giggles. Say the Imperial Credit, the K'lii, and something else
Back to top Go down
Laibach
General
General
Laibach

PostSubject: Re: Currency System   Currency System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 3:54 pm

disembodied hands that strangle people (and help put kids to sleep)
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Currency System   Currency System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 4:16 pm

I agree with ACH. This would make intergalactic banks and such worthwhile, perhaps even Trade Ports like in Sins as valuable war assets.
Back to top Go down
Danice123
DEV
DEV
Danice123

PostSubject: Re: Currency System   Currency System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 10:10 pm

Tiel wrote:
I agree with ACH. This would make intergalactic banks and such worthwhile, perhaps even Trade Ports like in Sins as valuable war assets.

That is the idea behind this whole currency system that I described. It allows you to create any number of currencies, but leaves the actual defining of the value up to the players. The only thing that would be set in stone is the value of the currency as apposed to a bar of gold. Thus when you make a ship, you consider how many blocks of gold that the ship would be worth, then set your price.
Back to top Go down
http://wbcentral.com
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PostSubject: Re: Currency System   Currency System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 12:40 am

Do you know what current currencies are ? Treading with air. Unless you want to add all those pointless air trading , unwanted Bureaucracy and financial bull**** I suggest staying with one currency. What's the difference between each type of currency ? Nothing beside the fact you can change their value - again trading with air.
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: Currency System   Currency System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 2:17 am

I was expecting that people would set the prices of their own ships. So they can sell it at a lower price if they want less profit but more buyers, or at a higher price if they want less buyers. It worked fine on Runescape, it created a good economical system.
Back to top Go down
Laibach
General
General
Laibach

PostSubject: Re: Currency System   Currency System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 10:15 am

Lord Mackeroth wrote:
I was expecting that people would set the prices of their own ships. So they can sell it at a lower price if they want less profit but more buyers, or at a higher price if they want less buyers. It worked fine on Runescape, it created a good economical system.

I miss the old RS...
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: Currency System   Currency System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 4:31 pm

CoalMiningAlchemist wrote:
Lord Mackeroth wrote:

I miss the old RS...

Yeah.
Back to top Go down
mouseman89

PostSubject: Re: Currency System   Currency System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 9:03 pm

in my opinion there should be a universal system (credits) that anyone could set theyre price for whatever they want to sell or they could trade. you could ake a book/item(maybe a scanner?) that gauges the price of items and ships based off the rarity, size and capabilitys of the ship.

for example a small 1 man fighter made out of steel could be worth about say 10000 credits but you could sell it for more or less. you cold get credits by selling blocks and shis to stores.(think of vendors in WoW) and after some time you could shut down NPC stores and make them player controlled. the other idea is that each player starts off with several thousand credits and would have to go from there by making shops purely player controlled.
Back to top Go down
Danice123
DEV
DEV
Danice123

PostSubject: Re: Currency System   Currency System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 12:28 am

Iv121 wrote:
Do you know what current currencies are ? Treading with air. Unless you want to add all those pointless air trading , unwanted Bureaucracy and financial bull**** I suggest staying with one currency. What's the difference between each type of currency ? Nothing beside the fact you can change their value - again trading with air.

I agree with your statement, but it doesn't have anything to do with having or not having different currencies. The reason we are 'trading with air' stems from the fact that none of the currencies are backed up by anything, not that there are multiple currencies. The reason that I was thinking about implementing multiple currencies is that it creates new jobs (like a money changer) and adds a reason for colonization and gaining wealth. Its a cool feature that would broaden the game a lot. It also adds a unique feature to the game, trading currencies. Like stocks, you could buy a lot of one, then hope that it becomes worth more and sell out. Its a more dynamic currency system. My main argument about a universal currency is that its been done before. MANY TIMES. Its boring. Something dynamic and unique would be really cool.
Back to top Go down
http://wbcentral.com
Keon
Keon

PostSubject: Re: Currency System   Currency System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 12:32 am

Secret post in sig is bad.

Anyway, look at your sig. These are the peeps who have enough brains not to fail right away and are going to be players of your mod. Bankers, all of them. And they are the most focused of the players of this mod.

Anyway, how about one currency, but it is air. We start playing with it at 1 = 1 diamond, then we let it float. It will be interesting.
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: Currency System   Currency System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 5:42 am

Keon wrote:

Anyway, look at your sig. These are the peeps who have enough brains not to fail right away and are going to be players of your mod. Bankers, all of them. And they are the most focused of the players of this mod.

Anyway, how about one currency, but it is air. We start playing with it at 1 = 1 diamond, then we let it float. It will be interesting.

Sink, or swim.
Back to top Go down
Laibach
General
General
Laibach

PostSubject: Re: Currency System   Currency System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 1:51 pm

If my server ever gets finished it'll prob'ly stay on an exchange economy
Back to top Go down
mouseman89

PostSubject: Re: Currency System   Currency System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 2:44 pm

Keon wrote:

You could try different currency methods in a beta release to see how it goes. also whats going to stop ops and admins from TMI/NEI or give commanding whatever your using as currency?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Currency System   Currency System - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Currency System
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next