Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Possible alternate form of FTL movement: Slipspace/Hyperspace

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
lordhood117
lordhood117

Possible alternate form of FTL movement: Slipspace/Hyperspace Empty
PostSubject: Possible alternate form of FTL movement: Slipspace/Hyperspace   Possible alternate form of FTL movement: Slipspace/Hyperspace Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 7:52 pm

I know this is basically something any Halo/Star Wars fan would post here, but I do have some reasons behind this.

1. Allows for quick FTL where no wormholes are available or are too distant to reach.

2. Can be used by ships of almost any size, ranging from corvettes to capital ships

3. Relies on a power source, ie. an onboard fusion reactor,

4. Both Slipspace and hyperspace have a drawback that helps balance things out: using them is time consuming. While wormhole travel (once dialed in) is almost instantaneous, Slipspace (for example) requires a ship to charge its capacitors before making another jump. While having such a device as a Shaw-Fujikawa translight engine onboard is convenient, quick, and easy to use, it adds a certain amount of challenge for those wishing to engage in combat. No more "F this, I'm outta here" at the beginning of a battle. If you want out, you'll have to survive until the game lets you go.
Back to top Go down
GroundBurg_Coder13
GroundBurg_Coder13

PostSubject: Re: Possible alternate form of FTL movement: Slipspace/Hyperspace   Possible alternate form of FTL movement: Slipspace/Hyperspace Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 5:24 pm

I agree with the charging of capacitors. That would give the whole idea of " in it for the long run" when emerging from the FTL movement.

There should be a safety protocol in place so that one cant try to launch out without letting the capacitor charge/ engines to cool down, ( charge would be that if it is 100% then there is a high chance that nothing will go wrong in the stability of the travel vortex, but if it is only 50% or something of that caliber, then the safety protocol would disengage/ not allow you to jump ( but if you over ride, then there is an X % chance of surviving the travel ( X = charge [ie. 100%, 50% etc])

As for the engine, it is roughly the same as the slip drive, only instead of fearing instability of the vortex, you risk blowing up half if not ALL of your ship ( engines going into meltdown/ critical )

Small engines and jump drives would be easier to use ( cool down and recharge) though the range or speed would be greatly reduced ( and the sizes of the engines and jump drives would have to be consistent with the size of ship its on.

Back to top Go down
MaggotKing

PostSubject: Wormhole Instability   Possible alternate form of FTL movement: Slipspace/Hyperspace Icon_minitimeMon Dec 05, 2011 11:23 pm

Also, above 50% (where it is possible to create a wormhole) to maybe 65%? their is a chance that the wormhole could collapse do to not enough power depositing you in a random area of space or horrible mutilating your ship and killing you.
Back to top Go down
ectrimble20
DEV
DEV
ectrimble20

PostSubject: Re: Possible alternate form of FTL movement: Slipspace/Hyperspace   Possible alternate form of FTL movement: Slipspace/Hyperspace Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 12:59 pm

I'm thinking that FTL movement is going to be something that will depend on how we do our server transportation methods.

FTL will probably only be used for server (space system) to server movement, not for local stuff, after burners or boosters can be used for that.

My thinking on how we can handle that would be similar to how Eve handles its inner system jumps.

Compute in your request: I want to jump to system B.

Computer then begins a process where it finds the following:
-System you're in
-System you're heading to
-Systems relation to each other
-Is the System you're heading to able to handle the number of connections (i.e multiple players moving over) needed?

Once the system handles your request and returns and verifies it is able to process your request, you'll then be able to make the jump via w/e means to FTL transportation we see fit.

My thinking is wormholes because we cannot afford the technical delays of an animated or even interfaced loading period. We would want to process the request and make the jump to the other server ASAP to prevent other connections from being approved and potentially locking up/crashing the client or even the server, disconnections and other bad crap. I'll be posting more on this subject later.

But for the time being, I'm going to push hard for a simple (lol, simple) wormhole generator. A charging period and instability probability can be built into that fairly easy.
Back to top Go down
GroundBurg_Coder13
GroundBurg_Coder13

PostSubject: Re: Possible alternate form of FTL movement: Slipspace/Hyperspace   Possible alternate form of FTL movement: Slipspace/Hyperspace Icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 11:03 pm

Im wondering,

FTL would have to be more than 10 times the speed of light for intergalactic travel to be even worth while ( as 1 light year is worth 10 actual years and the closest star system to earth is 4.2 LY), now, i know this is a game, and we could keep that propulsion system working ( and have a travel time faster than other propulsion systems, but slower than ->) , but i have another idea, warp fields.

This would be the 'bending' of space and time, and creating a weakness in the fabric of space to slip through. This would allow for near instant , long distance travel ( though it would take alot of energy).

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
ectrimble20
DEV
DEV
ectrimble20

PostSubject: Re: Possible alternate form of FTL movement: Slipspace/Hyperspace   Possible alternate form of FTL movement: Slipspace/Hyperspace Icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2011 12:06 am

That's not a bad idea. Possibly use a large about of energy and require a "jump" drive of sorts made out of large capacitors that require a period of time between charges.

In theory a warp field is plausible simply because we know that we can bend space and time by concentrating an immense amount of energy onto a single point. Now, realistically since we cannot harness the power of a collapsing star, I don't think this will be a real thing people in my grand kids grand kids life time, but never the less, it is a possibility.

For game play sake, I would think either a worm hole, or perhaps even allow people to build a jump gate between their servers, but that once again is neither here nor there since it matters little what way we jump between servers on a technical end.
Back to top Go down
ACH0225
General
General
ACH0225

PostSubject: Re: Possible alternate form of FTL movement: Slipspace/Hyperspace   Possible alternate form of FTL movement: Slipspace/Hyperspace Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 1:13 am

So if a ship opens up a wormhole, I think that you should add a nether portalish effect a ways in front of the ship, then make the ship that formed the wormhole have to wait, say 40 seconds, then afterits gone, the wormhole stays open for 15 seconds, all so that if a ship tries to flee during battle, opposing forces can, A: Send an EMP or other disruptive attack at the wormhole to destabilize it and prevent escape, or, B:, they can follow the ship and continue the attack.
Back to top Go down
ectrimble20
DEV
DEV
ectrimble20

PostSubject: Re: Possible alternate form of FTL movement: Slipspace/Hyperspace   Possible alternate form of FTL movement: Slipspace/Hyperspace Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 1:35 am

Whats probably going to happen, at least how I'm envisioning this working out, is there will be a module installed on a ship, it will be a jump module of sorts and it will allow that ship to jump to another system.

All fine and dandy right? well, not really. The process by which one entity makes it to another server will be complicated and will take time to test and debug, wouldn't want you disappearing from existence now would we? Every ones ideas about this and that are cool and all, but what we use is going to come down to more a question of not "what do we want to use" but rather "what can we use that works with what we've got?".
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Possible alternate form of FTL movement: Slipspace/Hyperspace   Possible alternate form of FTL movement: Slipspace/Hyperspace Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Possible alternate form of FTL movement: Slipspace/Hyperspace
Page 1 of 1