Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Hull Platting & Metallurgy

Go down 
+6
Hierarch CMA
MercurySteam
Commander Error
Groot
Ivan2006
_Shadowcat_
10 posters
AuthorMessage
_Shadowcat_
Infantry
Infantry
_Shadowcat_

Hull Platting & Metallurgy Empty
PostSubject: Hull Platting & Metallurgy   Hull Platting & Metallurgy Icon_minitimeThu Oct 10, 2013 1:11 am

Alright so after thinking about how we want futurecraft to be expansive, trade, yada yada I've started thinking out various materials to make hull platting out of (And materials in general which will expand to modules and such).
Alright so heres the picture of 5 basic unaltered materials:
Spoiler:
To explain! (Ignore the things on the side, Thaumcraft style research ideas for non midnight postings)
Alright so:
Compression - The theory of when your smelting something you compress it or fold it to create a denser hence stronger and better plate of whatever. And essentially allowing a various amounts of trade of different level compression materials.
Iron -
One of the most common ores in minecraft, Its cheap and effective in large slabs however it holds a few issues, Cast iron is brittle and you cant compress it very well. It melts easily meaning most weaponry will melt through it eventually.
Steel -
Refined iron, Very flexible and versatile making it stronger then iron on a base level, Due to its flexibilities (Dictionary word? O.o) it can compress to double the rate of iron however it still holds the flaw of melting rather easily, But it also makes a good component in alloys and super alloys.
Aluminum -
A common cheap ultra-light material, While it melts very easily is extremely easy to bend and very weak at even high compression it is a very adaptable metal, It can be compressed to an ultra-high level and is a component in many alloys and super alloys.
Titanium -
A harder to produce metal that can be forged into ultra-hard plates that are hard to melt but don't bend very much at all and is fairly light, it can be compressed to a moderate level and is also a component in alloys and super alloys.
Depleted Uranium -
A hard to produce material that is Ultra-Heavy and extremely hard, Depleted uranium cannot be compressed much due to it already being at a very dense level. It is very hard to melt once formed.

Alloys and Super Alloys -
These are just the basic materials above, The majority of higher tier materials will be alloys formed from materials here and others not listed that would be rather useless on their own.

Harder materials have a better chance of deflecting projectile rounds without taking damage but have the fault of shattering violently if hit very hard.
The heat level a material can stand shows its effectiveness against plasma and laser weaponry.

Note: None of this is really supposed to follow RL logic but more of game balancing Rule of Cool logic.

Latter when its not 12:10AM and I can form a coherent sentence I will work on expanding my research idea and whatever else it was I'm working on.
Back to top Go down
Ivan2006
General
General
Ivan2006

PostSubject: Re: Hull Platting & Metallurgy   Hull Platting & Metallurgy Icon_minitimeThu Oct 10, 2013 3:40 am

I like the idea of different hull materials being more effective against different kinds of weapons.
Also the idea of differencing hardness and stability (setting a minimum power for kinetic weapons to do demage at all) sounds quite interesting.
Definetly sounds cool and would also work well along the current idea of how hulls work.
Back to top Go down
Groot
Marine
Marine
Groot

PostSubject: Re: Hull Platting & Metallurgy   Hull Platting & Metallurgy Icon_minitimeThu Oct 10, 2013 1:38 pm

Platted hulls are ugly.
Back to top Go down
Commander Error
Sergeant
Sergeant
Commander Error

PostSubject: Re: Hull Platting & Metallurgy   Hull Platting & Metallurgy Icon_minitimeThu Oct 10, 2013 2:03 pm

What about plated hulls?
Back to top Go down
MercurySteam
Infantry
Infantry
MercurySteam

PostSubject: Re: Hull Platting & Metallurgy   Hull Platting & Metallurgy Icon_minitimeThu Oct 10, 2013 4:50 pm

Fleet Admiral Error wrote:
What about plated hulls?
Wait I think you might have something there.
Back to top Go down
Hierarch CMA
Infantry
Infantry
Hierarch CMA

PostSubject: Re: Hull Platting & Metallurgy   Hull Platting & Metallurgy Icon_minitimeThu Oct 10, 2013 5:18 pm

What about plated hulls?
I... I never thought of that. Also, FWW, ECTrimble did a bunch of stuff related to this, I think. Check his devlog. Someone did, right?
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: Hull Platting & Metallurgy   Hull Platting & Metallurgy Icon_minitimeThu Oct 10, 2013 5:37 pm

Danice wanted to do something with colored hulls, I believe. I thought it was just a practice exercise, though.
Back to top Go down
Ivan2006
General
General
Ivan2006

PostSubject: Re: Hull Platting & Metallurgy   Hull Platting & Metallurgy Icon_minitimeThu Oct 10, 2013 7:57 pm

DaveMustaine wrote:
What about plated hulls?
I... I never thought of that. Also, FWW, ECTrimble did a bunch of stuff related to this, I think. Check his devlog. Someone did, right?
Ectrimble ectribled.
(yes, he ectrimbled so hard he became a verb)
Back to top Go down
Hierarch CMA
Infantry
Infantry
Hierarch CMA

PostSubject: Re: Hull Platting & Metallurgy   Hull Platting & Metallurgy Icon_minitimeThu Oct 10, 2013 8:33 pm

fr0stbyte124 wrote:
Danice wanted to do something with colored hulls, I believe.  I thought it was just a practice exercise, though.
I remember that, I think. Wasn't it just modding the iron block to act like Wool? And I could have sworn someone wrote something about hull materials, or maybe it was just Mackeroth saying that Obsidian needed to be removed.
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PostSubject: Re: Hull Platting & Metallurgy   Hull Platting & Metallurgy Icon_minitimeFri Oct 11, 2013 3:03 am

No Im surprised at least one person remembers -.-.

https://futurecraft.forumotion.com/t436-armor-plating
Back to top Go down
_Shadowcat_
Infantry
Infantry
_Shadowcat_

PostSubject: Re: Hull Platting & Metallurgy   Hull Platting & Metallurgy Icon_minitimeFri Oct 11, 2013 5:07 pm

Iv121 wrote:

Woah woah woah that's like a year old, Lets not get crazy.....Shocked 
Back to top Go down
Soul of Jack
Infantry
Infantry
Soul of Jack

PostSubject: Re: Hull Platting & Metallurgy   Hull Platting & Metallurgy Icon_minitimeFri Oct 11, 2013 5:48 pm

Iv121 wrote:

Oh I remember I just like to stay well clear from here.
Back to top Go down
Keon
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Keon

PostSubject: Re: Hull Platting & Metallurgy   Hull Platting & Metallurgy Icon_minitimeFri Oct 11, 2013 7:07 pm

Ivan2006 wrote:
DaveMustaine wrote:
What about plated hulls?
Ectrimble ectribled.
That was not ectrimble. Danice, right?

Something like that. Anyways, he made it so you could dye iron blocks much like sheep wool, except they worked more like grass (The texture was a white iron block, the tint was applied as it was drawn.)
Back to top Go down
Hierarch CMA
Infantry
Infantry
Hierarch CMA

PostSubject: Re: Hull Platting & Metallurgy   Hull Platting & Metallurgy Icon_minitimeSat Oct 12, 2013 8:36 pm

Keon wrote:
Ivan2006 wrote:
DaveMustaine wrote:
What about plated hulls?
Ectrimble ectribled.

Something like that. Anyways, he made it so you could dye iron blocks much like sheep wool, except they worked more like grass (The texture was a white iron block, the tint was applied as it was drawn.)
Yeah, Danice, did he ever finish/go to college? He was nice.
Back to top Go down
Ivan2006
General
General
Ivan2006

PostSubject: Re: Hull Platting & Metallurgy   Hull Platting & Metallurgy Icon_minitimeSun Oct 13, 2013 7:35 am

DaveMustaine wrote:
Keon wrote:
Ivan2006 wrote:
DaveMustaine wrote:
What about plated hulls?
Ectrimble ectribled.

Yeah, Danice, did he ever finish/go to college? He was nice.
I think he ectrimbled before posting a download and if he did (and I didn´t notice), it was for some horribly outdated MC-version.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hull Platting & Metallurgy   Hull Platting & Metallurgy Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hull Platting & Metallurgy
Page 1 of 1