Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Share | 

I am smart, S-M-R-T. Also that feel when no gf. Also blag

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Hierarch CMA
Infantry
Infantry

PostSubject: I am smart, S-M-R-T. Also that feel when no gf. Also blag   Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:50 pm

I took the SAT this morning, and I finished each section 10-15 minutes before everyone else. Also there was a really cute Auburn-head(?) in front of me that I lent a pencil to.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Groot
Marine
Marine

PostSubject: Re: I am smart, S-M-R-T. Also that feel when no gf. Also blag   Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:52 pm

If you finished it that early before everyone else, you are either a genius, or have got everything wrong.

Is the SAT the one that gives you your IQ? Cause I know my exam for that was called the CAT (scored 138)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hierarch CMA
Infantry
Infantry

PostSubject: Re: I am smart, S-M-R-T. Also that feel when no gf. Also blag   Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:55 pm

Prototype wrote:
If you finished it that early before everyone else, you are either a genius, or have got everything wrong.

Is the SAT the one that gives you your IQ? Cause I know my exam for that was called the CAT (scored 138)
I read a shit-ton of books, like I said, I'm S-M-R-T. And it doesn't give your IQ.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Groot
Marine
Marine

PostSubject: Re: I am smart, S-M-R-T. Also that feel when no gf. Also blag   Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:58 pm

DaveMustaine wrote:
Prototype wrote:

I read a shit-ton of books, like I said, I'm S-M-R-T. And it doesn't give your IQ.
That's probably a good thing, I took three IQ tests for my school, scored 135, 138, then went full retard on the other and got 118, guess which one my school put forward.

Also GF is root(DF^2 + GD^2) or DFsin(45)

This is a perfectly good maths debate.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hierarch CMA
Infantry
Infantry

PostSubject: Re: I am smart, S-M-R-T. Also that feel when no gf. Also blag   Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:00 pm

Prototype wrote:
DaveMustaine wrote:
Prototype wrote:

That's probably a good thing, I took three IQ tests for my school, scored 135, 138, then went full retard on the other and got 118, guess which one my school put forward.

Also GF is  root(DF^2 + GD^2) or DFsin(45)

You still need DF though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Groot
Marine
Marine

PostSubject: Re: I am smart, S-M-R-T. Also that feel when no gf. Also blag   Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:01 pm

DaveMustaine wrote:
Prototype wrote:
DaveMustaine wrote:
Prototype wrote:

DF = GD.

There you have it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hierarch CMA
Infantry
Infantry

PostSubject: Re: I am smart, S-M-R-T. Also that feel when no gf. Also blag   Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:04 pm

Prototype wrote:
DaveMustaine wrote:
Prototype wrote:
DaveMustaine wrote:
Prototype wrote:

DF = GD.

There you have it.
Well, yeah, but you still can't find an actual value. That's not the point anyway.

Damn I lovehate geometry.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iv121
General
General

PostSubject: Re: I am smart, S-M-R-T. Also that feel when no gf. Also blag   Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:45 pm

Well IQ was always somewhat ... problematic, especially because we have such poor understanding of what intelligence is .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ivan2006
General
General

PostSubject: Re: I am smart, S-M-R-T. Also that feel when no gf. Also blag   Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:29 pm

Iv121 wrote:
Well IQ was always somewhat ... problematic, especially because we have such poor understanding of what intelligence is .
^this
Happily at least the government of my country realizes that, so there is no 'IQ' anymore here, only 'equivalent to an IQ of', but it has been understood that a test can not properly show the intelligence of a person.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Saravanth
Recruit
Recruit

PostSubject: Re: I am smart, S-M-R-T. Also that feel when no gf. Also blag   Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:58 pm

...Nevermind, didn't read without enough care before posting.
Move on, nothing to see in this post.
Relly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hierarch CMA
Infantry
Infantry

PostSubject: Re: I am smart, S-M-R-T. Also that feel when no gf. Also blag   Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:37 pm

Ivan2006 wrote:
Iv121 wrote:
^this
Happily at least the government of my country realizes that, so there is no 'IQ' anymore here, only 'equivalent to an IQ of', but it has been understood that a test can not properly show the intelligence of a person.
Lolololol

edit: More feels, I'm getting depressed again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hierarch CMA
Infantry
Infantry

PostSubject: Re: I am smart, S-M-R-T. Also that feel when no gf. Also blag   Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:43 am

Well, this is disappointing.

Test     Score National Percentile

Critical Reading 680 94%
Math 600 75%
Writing 550 70%
Multiple Choice 59 (score range: 20-80)
Essay 6 (score range: 2-12)

I expected the terrible essay score, but I thought I'd get at least a 650 on math, not bad for having not studied I guess.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator

PostSubject: Re: I am smart, S-M-R-T. Also that feel when no gf. Also blag   Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:14 pm

Prototype wrote:

SAT is a standardized test for college placement.  I think it is international but I'm not 100% sure about that.  There is another one called ACT which is favored by colleges in the midwest.  Difficulty-wise, SAT questions are pretty softball; I think math only goes up to geometry and some basic algebra, but it is also weighted by national performance, so low difficulty just means that much less room to screw up.

If you are serious about getting a high score, grab a prep book and be prepared to take the test multiple times.  I can't even remember how many times I took it.
I ended up going to a state university anyway, though, because getting into massive debt over a bachelor's degree is stupid.  Nobody cares where you took Calc II, it's the same class everywhere.

Btw, if you've taken pre-calc, there is a Math II exam you should also be taking which covers that material.

Also, essays are bullshit. I think they introduced them my junior year of HS. They're this awful combination of being subjectively graded and following a rubric that it can really screw over people who don't know what they want. And they always pick inhumanly bland topics to make sure you won't accidentally have anything interesting to say about it, since that could skew the results.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Groot
Marine
Marine

PostSubject: Re: I am smart, S-M-R-T. Also that feel when no gf. Also blag   Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:32 pm

We don't take tests for uni placement, it's done by A-level predictions, which is completely bullshit, and I am currently gettin screwed I've cause I fucked up a practical assesment last year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iv121
General
General

PostSubject: Re: I am smart, S-M-R-T. Also that feel when no gf. Also blag   Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:42 pm

Well I did the local equivalent of SAT here only once, was enough to get me in for my first degree. Although the math tasks in that exam are easy enough you also get mere 45 seconds per question if not less, that makes it so much harder to get high scores, though on a positive note I got 150/150 in English which places me as one of the best in the country for English among those who took the test with me, the score is relative to the scores of other people with the best one getting 100% and the rest are ranked relative to him. All in all that means the English level in schools here is not that great …
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hierarch CMA
Infantry
Infantry

PostSubject: Re: I am smart, S-M-R-T. Also that feel when no gf. Also blag   Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:28 pm

fr0stbyte124 wrote:
Prototype wrote:

SAT is a standardized test for college placement.  I think it is international but I'm not 100% sure about that.  There is another one called ACT which is favored by colleges in the midwest.  Difficulty-wise, SAT questions are pretty softball; I think math only goes up to geometry and some basic algebra, but it is also weighted by national performance, so low difficulty just means that much less room to screw up.

If you are serious about getting a high score, grab a prep book and be prepared to take the test multiple times.  I can't even remember how many times I took it.
I ended up going to a state university anyway, though, because getting into massive debt over a bachelor's degree is stupid.  Nobody cares where you took Calc II, it's the same class everywhere.

Btw, if you've taken pre-calc, there is a Math II exam you should also be taking which covers that material.

Also, essays are bullshit.  I think they introduced them my junior year of HS.  They're this awful combination of being subjectively graded and following a rubric that it can really screw over people who don't know what they want.  And they always pick inhumanly bland topics to make sure you won't accidentally have anything interesting to say about it, since that could skew the results.
I'm about 1/4 of the way through trigonometry/pre-calc, and I'm planning on doing most of statistics(already 30% done) and calculus(it's two years of college calculus, but the math is pretty condensed, so I'm not sure how it translates to the 1, 2, 3, system). I'm doing these books, which are some of the strangest and most enjoyable series of math books I've ever encountered. I think my main problem was that I got a bit panicky, as it was my first time taking it(I forgot where I lived, etc.) it was  8:30 AM and at the time I had been getting up around 11:00. Not to mention I only got about a weeks worth of lightweight study in.

The maths section supposedly covered all of Beginning algebra, Geometry, and some of Advanced algebra, but it would have been really easy if I had had enough time(An hour vs. 30 minutes) to think about all of the questions.

It's also incredibly depressing that I only scored 690/800 and I'm in the 94th percentile for CR, unless I completely misunderstand how it's graded.

I agree about essays, I'd honestly rather have to do a geometry theorem if they want to see how well you can think or whatever the point is.

I'm applying to a state university by choice(although I'm going to apply to MIT just in case, I'm poor enough to qualify for a free ride there), it's one of the best for Aerospace engineering(which I'll most likely major in) and it's a good engineering school anyway. I might go to a community college or something for the first two years, and then try to transfer later as I've done very little accredited courses for high-school, and getting a GED would probably result in my application being immediately thrown in the trash.

Last edited by DaveMustaine on Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tiel+
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st

PostSubject: Re: I am smart, S-M-R-T. Also that feel when no gf. Also blag   Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:38 pm

Essays are vastly preferable to being required to demonstrate an understanding of types of math most will never encounter again in their lifetimes.

English? Gotta learn the language and its nuances. Science? Knowledge about the world around you is crucial. History? Well, it tends to repeat itself if not taught, so decidedly important. Math? After Algebra it's just DURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. The way the teachers promote it you'd think basketball players sit down and calculate parabolas at half time. Seriously, if you can't come up with a proper application chances are it's not as essential as you're making it out to be.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hierarch CMA
Infantry
Infantry

PostSubject: Re: I am smart, S-M-R-T. Also that feel when no gf. Also blag   Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:42 pm

Tiel+ wrote:
Math? After Algebra it's just DURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Joel
Marine
Marine

PostSubject: Re: I am smart, S-M-R-T. Also that feel when no gf. Also blag   Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:23 pm

DaveMustaine wrote:
Tiel+ wrote:
Math? After Algebra it's just DURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tau
Infantry
Infantry

PostSubject: Re: I am smart, S-M-R-T. Also that feel when no gf. Also blag   Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:14 pm

DaveMustaine wrote:
I'm doing these books, which are some of the strangest and most enjoyable series of math books I've ever encountered.
I used those for everything up to Algebra 2. Man, those were the bomb. But then we got broke, and I had to start using some shitty online math curriculum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hierarch Fenway
DEV
DEV

PostSubject: Re: I am smart, S-M-R-T. Also that feel when no gf. Also blag   Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:32 pm

Math is super important, because it ties in directly with science. For example, in my AP Chemistry course, we have to use planck's constant and a bunch of fancy operations to find the energy of electrons in joules, which tells us if a potato can power a lightbulb or not. Knowing whether it will work before hand will help alot.

If you plan on going into a technical field (AKA Engineering of all kinds, Physics, Quantum Physics, Astrophysics, pretty much all of those) you need calculus math and beyond. NASA scientists make sure all calculations are correct before sending a 10 billion dollar ship to space. Astrophysicists do all the math to make sure that the star they just observed indeed has planets orbiting it based on the star's wobble. Particle physicists do all the math to make sure that the Higgs Boson we just found matches all the math. Chemists do all the math to find out exactly how an atom's shells are arranged, and how that explains the atom's chemical behavior. It's everywhere.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Groot
Marine
Marine

PostSubject: Re: I am smart, S-M-R-T. Also that feel when no gf. Also blag   Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:16 am

@Tiel, if you want to do any form of engineering, then Maths is completely essential, and is as relevant as it is made out to be. Most of engineering is based on maths.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator

PostSubject: Re: I am smart, S-M-R-T. Also that feel when no gf. Also blag   Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:20 am

Every science is heavy on the math. Even the ones you wouldn't normally think of, like biology and social sciences. You can't get away from it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: I am smart, S-M-R-T. Also that feel when no gf. Also blag   Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:43 am

Robotnik wrote:
Math is super important, because it ties in directly with science. For example, in my AP Chemistry course, we have to use planck's constant and a bunch of fancy operations to find the energy of electrons in joules, which tells us if a potato can power a lightbulb or not. Knowing whether it will work before hand will help alot.

If you plan on going into a technical field (AKA Engineering of all kinds, Physics, Quantum Physics, Astrophysics, pretty much all of those) you need calculus math and beyond. NASA scientists make sure all calculations are correct before sending a 10 billion dollar ship to space. Astrophysicists do all the math to make sure that the star they just observed indeed has planets orbiting it based on the star's wobble. Particle physicists do all the math to make sure that the Higgs Boson we just found matches all the math. Chemists do all the math to find out exactly how an atom's shells are arranged, and how that explains the atom's chemical behavior. It's everywhere.
Prototype wrote:
@Tiel, if you want to do any form of engineering, then Maths is completely essential, and is as relevant as it is made out to be. Most of engineering is based on maths.
Very specialized fields few enter into relative to the plethora of other professional careers available.

fr0stbyte124 wrote:
Every science is heavy on the math.  Even the ones you wouldn't normally think of, like biology and social sciences.  You can't get away from it.
Basic math. You won't be applying the expected value formula to RNA sequences any time soon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Groot
Marine
Marine

PostSubject: Re: I am smart, S-M-R-T. Also that feel when no gf. Also blag   Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:17 am

Tiel+ wrote:
Basic math. You won't be applying the expected value formula to RNA sequences any time soon.
Biology isn't a real science, anyone knows that.

But Physics, and Chemistry do have a lot to do with maths, but Maths isn't vital for everything, but it is incredibly vital for any form of engineering, which means for a lot of things, maths is important.

Even if you don't do the maths yourself, you still rely on things built with the aid of maths.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I am smart, S-M-R-T. Also that feel when no gf. Also blag   

Back to top Go down

I am smart, S-M-R-T. Also that feel when no gf. Also blag
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next