Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Wings3d

Go down 
+6
Ivan2006
NeueSlowenischeKunst
Commander Error
MrTargareyan
Tiel+
Caramell
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Tiel+
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Tiel+

Wings3d                                                         - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wings3d    Wings3d                                                         - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 4:44 pm

MrTargareyan wrote:

Thanks :)If you want I could model some stuff for your rts once I get to know my way around wings; though I would need to know the poly limit Smile
ACH's*

But that'd be great. Not really a poly limit persay, I can just crunch them when you send me the obj file.
Back to top Go down
Ivan2006
General
General
Ivan2006

PostSubject: Re: Wings3d    Wings3d                                                         - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 5:04 am

How efficient wings are on a space fighter mainly depends on their role and what you put in/on the wing.
The interesting part begins when you talk about atmospher capability.
Even if you use repulsors to fly in atmosphere, it would still be pretty stupid not to use any wings you have as control surfaces.
On the other hand, increased maneuverability in atmosphere can be exchanged for other advantages (like low-profile) if you take the wings away.
When you add a shield to the fighter though, most of the low-profile advantage goes away, seeing as shields give you a pretty annoying profile in all directions (for a fighter, that is).
Things that can be mounted on wings better than enywhere else:
Engines (thrust control is more effective the further away from the center of mass the engines are)
AOE-weapons (better distribution of the effected area as opposed to them all being close to each other)
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: Wings3d    Wings3d                                                         - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 11:51 am

Wings can have other purposes than maneuvering through atmosphere.  TIE fighters have solar cell wings for god knows what purpose, and it also increases your surface area considerably.  Realistically, that could be useful for heat dissipation, which is seriously difficult in the vacuum of space.  Less realistically, it could help with absorbing energy weapons.
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PostSubject: Re: Wings3d    Wings3d                                                         - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 12:05 pm

Why absorb if you can make them miss completely ? It would wear off the shields faster as shots that were supposed to miss would hit the shield and only then the armor. I still think they are best used for engines and rockets, and if not for that than just put them down for looks ...
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: Wings3d    Wings3d                                                         - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 12:52 pm

Iv121 wrote:
Why absorb if you can make them miss completely ? It would wear off the shields faster as shots that were supposed to miss would hit the shield and only then the armor. I still think they are best used for engines and rockets, and if not for that than just put them down for looks ...
You're going to dodge...light?
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PostSubject: Re: Wings3d    Wings3d                                                         - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 12:56 pm

Well beam-based weapons are harder to dodge but in the same time a nimble and small target is hard to aim at so such weapon might not hit you in the first place thx to your small size, or do you refer to solar panels or something ?
Back to top Go down
TomažHostnik
TomažHostnik

PostSubject: Re: Wings3d    Wings3d                                                         - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 1:02 pm

Iv121 wrote:
Well beam-based weapons are harder to dodge but in the same time a nimble and small target is hard to aim at so such weapon might not hit you in the first place thx to your small size, or do you refer to solar panels or something ?
I think Fr0st meant that since a 'laser beam' is light, it's impossible to detect it before it hits you. Unless you use handwavium shield emitters.
Back to top Go down
MrTargareyan
Infantry
Infantry
MrTargareyan

PostSubject: Re: Wings3d    Wings3d                                                         - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 1:11 pm

A weird atmospheric hover fighter/tank thingy.
Managed to bring the poly count down to about 700 on this one. (it was about 1000-5000 on all the other ones)

Wings3d                                                         - Page 2 Eg68at
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: Wings3d    Wings3d                                                         - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 1:50 pm

Iv121 wrote:
I mean this, but with a laser attachment.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PostSubject: Re: Wings3d    Wings3d                                                         - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 2:42 pm

Well we are talking gameplay wise, at this rate you can rule out space battles as whole as they are generally unrealistic ... The profile thing has a serious impact gameplay wise for example .
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Wings3d    Wings3d                                                         - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 4:05 pm

MrTargareyan wrote:
A weird atmospheric hover fighter/tank thingy.
Managed to bring the poly count down to about 700 on this one. (it was about 1000-5000 on all the other ones)

Wings3d                                                         - Page 2 Eg68at
Lol, I find myself wondering how you got that again, but keep it up! Modelling is like a fine sword, you must continue honing it to get better results.
Back to top Go down
MrTargareyan
Infantry
Infantry
MrTargareyan

PostSubject: Re: Wings3d    Wings3d                                                         - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2013 11:48 am

I tried to do this in a slightly different style, and as a result it turned out like a decapitated space whale :/ Here it is anyway.
Wings3d                                                         - Page 2 2nuiwz5
Back to top Go down
MrTargareyan
Infantry
Infantry
MrTargareyan

PostSubject: Re: Wings3d    Wings3d                                                         - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 22, 2013 2:17 pm

Weird thing i made, dont really like the front though:
Wings3d                                                         - Page 2 S54eQE3
Wings3d                                                         - Page 2 KzxPTbm
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wings3d    Wings3d                                                         - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wings3d
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Futurecraft Forums :: General Area :: Off-Topic Area-
Jump to: