Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

KSP Thread

Go down 
+19
Buggy1997123
Laibach
Pat Best
Keon
Tell
Caramell
hyperlite
Soul of Jack
ACH0225
Joel
MrTargareyan
Iv121
Hierarch Fenway
Tau
Tiel+
Groot
Ivan2006
Delta
Ljubljana
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
ACH0225
General
General
ACH0225

KSP Thread - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 5:36 pm

I used a few struts and beams and stuff to make a house, then added solar panels and batteries and retractable wheels and drove around until I found a place where I pulled the wheels up and set down. I'm now considering making a mobile launch pad and sending it up to the pole for no reason at all.
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 8:22 pm

ACH0225 wrote:
I used a few struts and beams and stuff to make a house, then added solar panels and batteries and retractable wheels and drove around until I found a place where I pulled the wheels up and set down. I'm now considering making a mobile launch pad and sending it up to the pole for no reason at all.
I've already got a full rocket mounted on top of another, larger rocket. It was meant as a return craft from Eve but I guess I could land it on the pole to the re-launch from the pole if I wanted to.
Back to top Go down
hyperlite
Captain
Captain
hyperlite

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 8:51 pm

I have made a lander, and docked it with this space tug with a Rockomax 32 tank and 2 nuclear engines.  I am now having problems with getting encounters that allow me to aerobrake. I can't get my periapse below a couple million.
Back to top Go down
ACH0225
General
General
ACH0225

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 9:11 pm

How much fuel do you have? Can you just force it by firing thrusters in the opposite direction or away from the target.
Back to top Go down
hyperlite
Captain
Captain
hyperlite

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 9:41 pm

I should have enough fuel to burn retrograde once I am in the sphere of influence, but nuclear engines are very slow at accelerating and it takes a long time and a ton of fuel, aerobraking makes way more sense.
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 9:42 pm

hyperlite wrote:
I have made a lander, and docked it with this space tug with a Rockomax 32 tank and 2 nuclear engines.  I am now having problems with getting encounters that allow me to aerobrake.  I can't get my periapse below a couple million.
Are you sure your plane is matched with that of your target planet?
Back to top Go down
hyperlite
Captain
Captain
hyperlite

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 10:03 pm

No idea, I just remember the burn to kill my velocity relative to Duna took forever, like the nuclear engines ran out of fuel.
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 10:25 pm

Space improvisation!
Instead of abandoning the refuel tank with a heap of fuel left in it and just going back to Kerbin with the SSTO alone, I realigned the fuel tank, shut off one of the engines to balance the weight, and am going to use it to get my SSTO to break Eve orbit without using a drop of its fuel.
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Joel
Marine
Marine
Joel

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 10:37 pm

Are you using that weird multiplayer mod?
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 10:47 pm

I'm not using any mods, though multiplayer sounds awesome.
Back to top Go down
ACH0225
General
General
ACH0225

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 10:51 pm

That would be fantastic. That would literally be fantastic. I'd just download a bunch of schematics though...
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 11:01 pm

I'm giving out mine if you want some.
The Jagged Edge 2 SSTO might be of particular interest since, if piloted as efficiently as possible, it can make it to Eve and back on a single tank of gas.
Back to top Go down
Hierarch Fenway
DEV
DEV
Hierarch Fenway

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 11:12 pm

I can't make SSTO's, though I once got my high-speed high-altitude jet to fly out to 500,000 before landing again.

SSTO's always become unstable for me at high altitudes by flipping out.
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 11:14 pm

Quadraxis wrote:
I can't make SSTO's, though I once got my high-speed high-altitude jet to fly out to 500,000 before landing again.

Wait, you got a jet to fly up to 500km but can't make an SSTO?
Back to top Go down
Tell
Recruit
Recruit
Tell

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 11:15 pm

The closest thing to multilayer is a mod called Kerbal Live Feed.
Back to top Go down
Joel
Marine
Marine
Joel

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 11:25 pm

Tell wrote:
The closest thing to multilayer is a mod called Kerbal Live Feed.
Vinyl wrote:
that weird multiplayer mod
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 11:41 pm

Quadraxis wrote:

Most likely problems are:

1- Your jet engines aren't getting enough air and are burning out asymetrically, causing loss of control.
or
2- Your center of lift is in front of your center of mass, causing the front of your plane to lift up, or your center of lift is too far back causing the front of your plane to be unable to lift up.
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 11:45 pm

The heroes return!
Ludbal and Sidhat Kerman safely return to Kerbin, with over two thirds of their fuel left ( which caused problems when trying to glide, the craft was too heavy )
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Hierarch Fenway
DEV
DEV
Hierarch Fenway

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2013 1:21 am

I'll see if I can align the center of mass and lift more, thanks.

And about the 500 km thing, I had a jet with MASSIVE wings and 4 engines+ intake spam. It pretty much lifted itself off the ground without engines, and the engines got it up to about 3000 m/s at around 30,000. It doesn't work anymore, so...
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2013 1:47 am

Quadraxis wrote:
I'll see if I can align the center of mass and lift more, thanks.

And about the 500 km thing, I had a jet with MASSIVE wings and 4 engines+ intake spam. It pretty much lifted itself off the ground without engines, and the engines got it up to about 3000 m/s at around 30,000. It doesn't work anymore, so...
The center of lift should be a little bit behind the center of mass because as you drain fuel, your center of mass will move backwards.
If you can get it up to about 20km altitude and at least 1000m/s on jet engines alone, then you should be able to get it into space. You could practice with the stock models, though the Aeris4A doesn't look that easy to get into orbit considering it's only got a single nuclear engine to get it there....
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2013 1:56 am

Barely get Ludbal and Sidhat get any rest. I'm sending them right back into space on the updated JE2 for a test flight to Duna. They're going to try to get there and back on a single tank of gas.
But it's alright, they love space. And they've got Sins Rebellion on the on-board computers so they've got entertainment for years and years.
Back to top Go down
Ivan2006
General
General
Ivan2006

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2013 1:58 am

I just decided I could try re-installing Impossible Innovations.
Don´t laugh, I want fusion engines damnit!
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2013 2:30 am

Something's throwing the balance of my space planes off ever so slightly and it annoys me.
Back to top Go down
Keon
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Keon

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2013 3:07 am

"Hey Ludbal, wanna play a Sins?"

"Screw you Sidhat, Vasari's OP. If you ask me again, you're going out the airlock."

Back to top Go down
Hierarch Fenway
DEV
DEV
Hierarch Fenway

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2013 10:33 am

"Bullshit Ludbal, Advent is way OP. Say Vasari is OP one more time, I dare you."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

KSP Thread
Page 4 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next