Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

KSP Thread

Go down 
+19
Buggy1997123
Laibach
Pat Best
Keon
Tell
Caramell
hyperlite
Soul of Jack
ACH0225
Joel
MrTargareyan
Iv121
Hierarch Fenway
Tau
Tiel+
Groot
Ivan2006
Delta
Ljubljana
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Soul of Jack
Infantry
Infantry
Soul of Jack

KSP Thread - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 8:48 pm

Pat Best wrote:
2- If you gather your fleet before they actually add the new star systems and thus the technology to reach them, the fleet you'll have built and assembled at Eeloo won't have the means to reach other stars anyways.
But it still looks cool.
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 8:49 pm

Soul of Jack wrote:
Pat Best wrote:
2- If you gather your fleet before they actually add the new star systems and thus the technology to reach them, the fleet you'll have built and assembled at Eeloo won't have the means to reach other stars anyways.
But it still looks cool.
But it's days and days of work for nothing
Back to top Go down
Delta
Sergeant
Sergeant
Delta

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 8:51 pm

Pat Best wrote:
ACH0225 wrote:
I have heard from a particular source that the group known as Squad may soon create additional stars to which to travel. In response, there is to be called a fleet gathering in orbit of Eeloo, with a great ship for the transit.
I heard that while the idea wasn't out of the question, they'd have to go full-on sci-fi with the technology for us to actually be able to reach other stars because of the sheer amount of time it would take to reach them conventionally.
Meaning that:
1- It's unlikely to happen
Couldn't you theoretically pre-build the fleet with an open docking port, then when the means of getting to another star system is implemented, put that on a rocket and dock it to your fleet?
Back to top Go down
http://arsln100.forumotion.com
Laibach
General
General
Laibach

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 8:51 pm

Pat Best wrote:
Soul of Jack wrote:
Pat Best wrote:
But it still looks cool.
That applies to everything in KSP.
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 8:56 pm

Solar112 wrote:
Pat Best wrote:
ACH0225 wrote:
I have heard from a particular source that the group known as Squad may soon create additional stars to which to travel. In response, there is to be called a fleet gathering in orbit of Eeloo, with a great ship for the transit.
I heard that while the idea wasn't out of the question, they'd have to go full-on sci-fi with the technology for us to actually be able to reach other stars because of the sheer amount of time it would take to reach them conventionally.
Meaning that:
Couldn't you theoretically pre-build the fleet with an open docking port, then when the means of getting to another star system is implemented, put that on a rocket and dock it to your fleet?
Except you don't know the size, shape, functionality, fuel source, or power requirements for that technology
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 8:59 pm

Laibach wrote:
Pat Best wrote:
Soul of Jack wrote:
Pat Best wrote:
But it still looks cool.
That applies to everything in KSP.
No. You're building a fleet for a purpose it cannot achieve and never will.
The SSTOs I'm building are for a future purpose which they can achieve right now and will continue to be able to achieve once R&D, career mode, and all sorts of other features have been added.
Back to top Go down
ACH0225
General
General
ACH0225

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 9:00 pm

Which is why modular ships. Besides, a stack of solid fuel boasters will get you anywhere!
Back to top Go down
Delta
Sergeant
Sergeant
Delta

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 9:01 pm

Pat Best wrote:
Solar112 wrote:
Pat Best wrote:
ACH0225 wrote:
Meaning that:
Except you don't know the size, shape, functionality, fuel source, or power requirements for that technology
That's why you plan for the unplanned. If your power requirements are too low, leave extra space for power generation. Fuel source? leave room for a storage device for the fuel and go gather some. size? leave extra room. shape? leave extra room. functionality? that probably wouldn't matter too terribly much. but if it did, you could always leave more room for what ever is required.
Back to top Go down
http://arsln100.forumotion.com
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 9:02 pm

ACH0225 wrote:
Which is why modular ships. Besides, a stack of solid fuel boasters will get you anywhere!
Sure they will, it'll just take forever.
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 9:04 pm

Solar112 wrote:
Pat Best wrote:
Solar112 wrote:
Pat Best wrote:
ACH0225 wrote:
Meaning that:
That's why you plan for the unplanned. If your power requirements are too low, leave extra space for power generation. Fuel source? leave room for a storage device for the fuel and go gather some. size? leave extra room. shape? leave extra room. functionality? that probably wouldn't matter too terribly much. but if it did, you could always leave more room for what ever is required.
Alternatively, instead of sending all that stuff separately to Eeloo, you could just wait in orbit around kerbin and save yourself the hours and hours of flying things to another planet to assemble them with ships.
Back to top Go down
Hierarch Fenway
DEV
DEV
Hierarch Fenway

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 11:27 pm

So, the SSTO that WAS in orbit couldn't land on Duna. Not properly equipped, as land speeds would not go to reasonable levels.

So we did a low-altitude fly-by, escaped Duna's atmosphere, and went back into orbit around the Sun. Eve was in a perfect position for an orbital transfer, so the Delta went there.

We landed, but... spectacularly. Plane crashed, rather stylishly rather than explosively.

KSP Thread - Page 6 Screen15

Poor Roford is stuck now.

But his crash provided valuable intel! The SSTO has about, based on calculations, 4500 m/s Delta-V in a vacuum. We spent 2000 getting to Duna, another 1000 getting to Eve, and still had 1 full tank of fuel left, meaning each tank is about 1500 m/s. Promising design.

Requires RCS balancing and landing parachutes to be of any additional effectiveness, however. Right now it's good at crashing.
Back to top Go down
ACH0225
General
General
ACH0225

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 11:33 pm

Did you get any science data about Eve? You should also probably rescue him for your mission to the Mercury analogue.

You didn't plan to go to the Mercury analogue? Tough.

Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 11:54 pm

Quadraxis wrote:
So, the SSTO that WAS in orbit couldn't land on Duna. Not properly equipped, as land speeds would not go to reasonable levels.

So we did a low-altitude fly-by, escaped Duna's atmosphere, and went back into orbit around the Sun. Eve was in a perfect position for an orbital transfer, so the Delta went there.

We landed, but... spectacularly. Plane crashed, rather stylishly rather than explosively.

KSP Thread - Page 6 Screen15

Poor Roford is stuck now.

But his crash provided valuable intel! The SSTO has about, based on calculations, 4500 m/s Delta-V in a vacuum. We spent 2000 getting to Duna, another 1000 getting to Eve, and still had 1 full tank of fuel left, meaning each tank is about 1500 m/s. Promising design.

Requires RCS balancing and landing parachutes to be of any additional effectiveness, however. Right now it's good at crashing.
Your SSTO couldn't glide down? I find that hard to believe considering how much lift you should have and Eve's thicker atmosphere...

Bah, even if it had glided down and landed perfectly, he'd still be stuck there.

Last edited by Pat Best on Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Hierarch Fenway
DEV
DEV
Hierarch Fenway

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 11:54 pm

This was an experimental SSTO- design was not finalized. No instruments on-board, unfortunately.

I did glide down. It flipped itself from over-controlling once landed, it was curving. Landing gear broke off, this happened.

Mainly, though, SAS began vibrating it to death because of the thick atmosphere.

Why I decided to send the unfinished plane out so far- I don't know. For testing.

I'll drop a mobile base for him soon.
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 11:59 pm

Quadraxis wrote:
This was an experimental SSTO- design was not finalized. No instruments on-board, unfortunately.

I did glide down. It flipped itself from over-controlling once landed, it was curving. Landing gear broke off, this happened.

Mainly, though, SAS began vibrating it to death because of the thick atmosphere.

Why I decided to send the unfinished plane out so far- I don't know. For testing.

I'll drop a mobile base for him soon.
Soon being relative, of course. It'll be at least a year before he gets anything delivered.
Back to top Go down
Buggy1997123
DEV
DEV
Buggy1997123

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 1:25 am

You guys are so mean to your Krakens. I just let mine roam freely, I send up a few Kerbals to say hi every so often, and occasionally I give him a unmanned ship to eat if he doesn't find much else while drifting. He pretty much leaves my stuff alone, its quite nice.
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 1:28 am

Buggy1997123 wrote:
You guys are so mean to your Krakens. I just let mine roam freely, I send up a few Kerbals to say hi   every so often, and occasionally I give him a unmanned ship to eat if he doesn't find much else while drifting. He pretty much leaves my stuff alone, its quite nice.
Hey, I was minding my own business letting the Kraken do his thing. He's the one who came and attacked and tried to steal my mission ships.
Trying to launch Sidhat and Ludbal Kerman, clearly my two best and most experienced pilots,
Moving my ships around forcing me to burn extra fuel to keep on track while on a mission to put fuel consumption to the test,
This is unacceptable,
This is a declaration of WAR.
Back to top Go down
Commander Error
Sergeant
Sergeant
Commander Error

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 8:49 am

Due to my lack of patience (and time) I generally fly atmospheric on Kerbin instead of space.

Don't kill me.

but does anyone know why planes with no control surfaces forward (like a delta-wing) will jiggle and vibrate apart with SAS on?
Back to top Go down
Hierarch Fenway
DEV
DEV
Hierarch Fenway

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 9:43 am

Because all the control is in the back. If the front moves, back side has to move it.

I'm currently revising the SSTO to be better at everything.
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 2:29 pm

Fleet Admiral Error wrote:
Due to my lack of patience (and time) I generally fly atmospheric on Kerbin instead of space.

Don't kill me.

but does anyone know why planes with no control surfaces forward (like a delta-wing) will jiggle and vibrate apart with SAS on?
I've only had that problem on very small aircraft. I assumed it was because they were so light that the SAS couldn't fix your course without overcompensating so it keeps compensating for its own overcompensating, if that made sense?
Back to top Go down
Commander Error
Sergeant
Sergeant
Commander Error

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 2:47 pm

Pat Best wrote:

Don't kill me.

I've only had that problem on very small aircraft. I assumed it was because they were so light that the SAS couldn't fix your course without overcompensating so it keeps compensating for its own overcompensating, if that made sense?
Yeah, actually.

Best guess (I had a pretty huge delta wing) is that it needed to shove the tail around to stay on course. Flies like a wet dream without ASAS, though.

Wait...ASAS compensates? For...wait, nevermind.
Back to top Go down
Pat Best
Marine
Marine
Pat Best

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 4:16 pm

Pat Best wrote:

Don't kill me.

Yeah, actually.

Best guess (I had a pretty huge delta wing) is that it needed to shove the tail around to stay on course. Flies like a wet dream without ASAS, though.

Yes, the ASAS compensates for any imbalances, disturbances or other things that might pull you off course.
Back to top Go down
Commander Error
Sergeant
Sergeant
Commander Error

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 25, 2013 1:18 pm

Pat Best wrote:
Pat Best wrote:

Don't kill me.

Yeah, actually.

Yes, the ASAS compensates for any imbalances, disturbances or other things that might pull you off course.
Apparently, also for itself.

Wibbly Wobbly Woo
Back to top Go down
Ivan2006
General
General
Ivan2006

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 13, 2013 7:21 am

woo!
.22 is out and appearently, you can now CHOOSE between career and sandbox mode!
What´s so good about this, you say?
Well, you won´t have to do research in sandbox.
That means if you want to build stuff FOR FUNZ it still works!
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 13, 2013 9:45 am

necro
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: KSP Thread   KSP Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

KSP Thread
Page 6 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next