Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!
 
HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Share | 
 

 The size of a planet

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Iv121
General
General
avatar

Posts : 2396
Join date : 2012-02-05
Age : 22
Location : -> HERE ! <-

PostSubject: Re: The size of a planet   Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:11 pm

As I've told you frost Im not planning on pointlessly trying to bind spheres into squares or flat surfaces and thus bending the laws of physics ...

I plan to do it just like many prev game generations did it before - making a mesh that has nothing to do with the surface at all, when you close to it it TPs you to the surface which is a standard flat world. There are no technical limitations for doing it, it is just a design matter if you are ready to sacrifice the view of the planet being identical to the surface for a better looking round shape and maybe the ability to descend without transition though I believe it is possible even in this way. In my opinion that transitions is really insignificant and the benefits from having a wholly accurate looking planet are close to null as from space the surface will look flat no matter what and it will look pretty much as if it was a mesh and not the planet itself.

Eventually it is also a choice between spheres and cubes, I told you both are possible, I told you how, I told you my opinion, guess I cant do anything else in here, just don't go saying its impossible ...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Groot
Marine
Marine
avatar

Posts : 1456
Join date : 2012-03-18
Age : 21
Location : Yggdrasil

PostSubject: Re: The size of a planet   Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:12 pm

In a game about squares, I see no need for planets that are anything other then cubes.

I mean the traditional depiction of mine craft planets is as cubes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hierarch CMA
Infantry
Infantry
avatar

Posts : 483
Join date : 2013-10-05
Location : Ivan's basement.

PostSubject: Re: The size of a planet   Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:17 pm

Iv121 wrote:
As I've told you frost Im not planning on pointlessly trying to bind spheres into squares or flat surfaces and thus bending the laws of physics ...

I plan to do it just like many prev game generations did it before - making a mesh that has nothing to do with the surface at all, when you close to it it TPs you to the surface which is a standard flat world. There are no technical limitations for doing it, it is just a design matter if you are ready to sacrifice the view of the planet being identical to the surface for a better looking round shape and maybe the ability to descend without transition though I believe it is possible even in this way. In my opinion that transitions is really insignificant and the benefits from having a wholly accurate looking planet are close to null as from space the surface will look flat no matter what and it will look pretty much as if it was a mesh and not the planet itself.

Eventually it is also a choice between spheres and cubes, I told you both are possible, I told you how, I told you my opinion, guess I cant do anything else in here, just don't go saying its impossible ...
For the love of Gaben, don't start this again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ivan2006
General
General
avatar

Posts : 2096
Join date : 2012-05-08
Age : 20
Location : The Dungeon.

PostSubject: Re: The size of a planet   Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:19 pm

Prototype wrote:
In a game about squares, I see no need for planets that are anything other then cubes.

I mean the traditional depiction of mine craft planets is as cubes.
^this
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Saravanth
Recruit
Recruit
avatar

Posts : 286
Join date : 2012-09-08
Location : *snap snap*

PostSubject: Re: The size of a planet   Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:48 pm

Iv121 wrote:
There are no technical limitations for doing it, it is just a design matter if you are ready to sacrifice the view of the planet being identical to the surface for a better looking round shape and maybe the ability to descend without transition though I believe it is possible even in this way. In my opinion that transitions is really insignificant and the benefits from having a wholly accurate looking planet are close to null as from space the surface will look flat no matter what and it will look pretty much as if it was a mesh and not the planet itself.
ಠ_ಠ





Ehem, I disagree. First, I think the transitions are one of the most important things, a loading bar is just... I don't know, can I say out of this time? Yes, previous generations of games have done this, but why? Because of limitations. They couldn't have done that even if they wanted (Meh, maybe they even did). And on the second, you underestimate the importance for seeing big (clusters of) structures from space, and don't doubt that this will be relevant.
"Hey you see that giant green spot on the planet down there?"
"Yes? A big plain? Maybe a forest?"
"...It's the imperiums' capital. It spans half the planet. Duh."

Is this the fourth time this is coming up? The fifth?
Nevermind, let's change topic.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iv121
General
General
avatar

Posts : 2396
Join date : 2012-02-05
Age : 22
Location : -> HERE ! <-

PostSubject: Re: The size of a planet   Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:14 pm

To be honest I'd prefer to have 10 cool guns done in that time it would take to get rid of loading bars. You can disagree with me if you want, I know already you won't agree with me because you never trust me. Its actually knida weird, you like how I build yet you say I don't understand designing, same also happens with moderation and other stuff.

Frost's opinion is valued when it comes to the programming stuff because he does it well and therefore you are ready to entrust yourselves with him on the matter , agreeing with him with no argue, Fen's word in RPs is final because he does it the best and his experience allows you to entrust the matter to him, so if you claim that I design well or that I moderate well why do you refuse to trust me ? I don't expect obedience or something in the matter it's not like fen orders ppl around when it comes to RPs, just trust ...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Saravanth
Recruit
Recruit
avatar

Posts : 286
Join date : 2012-09-08
Location : *snap snap*

PostSubject: Re: The size of a planet   Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:23 pm

Iv121 wrote:
TIts actually knida weird, you like how I build yet you say I don't understand designing, same also happens with moderation and other stuff.
Wait, what?

Iv121 wrote:
Frost's opinion is valued when it comes to the programming stuff because he does it well and therefore you are ready to entrust yourselves with him on the matter , agreeing with him with no argue
Exactly, in the end its his decision.

Iv121 wrote:
I don't expect obedience or something in the matter it's not like fen orders ppl around when it comes to RPs, just trust ...
I am not sure if you are really talking to me here, so I won't try to figure out what exactly you are trying to tell here.




Now, without that loading bar-less transition, how much do we differ ourselves from simply those mods who are only adding a seperate dimension to minecraft and call it a day?
It's less a question on what the easiest way is, but more one of doing the most of our potential. Also about "prefering 10 cool guns" to that, I personally prefer good game mechanics over a bit more content than there would be anyway. You can add that always, but the engine stays quite static over the times.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iv121
General
General
avatar

Posts : 2396
Join date : 2012-02-05
Age : 22
Location : -> HERE ! <-

PostSubject: Re: The size of a planet   Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:42 pm

How would we differ ourselves ? Give me a single mod that even attempted to do what we are doing here now, the fact we are different from others is out of question, all I want to do is to make sure this wont end up like some other other mods , the ones that were never completed. You know already Im worried about it.

Also by not understanding what I wrote there or rather blanking out anything but what I wrote about Frost you don't get the point I made there, go and read it again until you do. All I ask you is to trust me for a single time in your lives at least in something, you refuse to do it every single time no matter what topic is at hand , even things I understand in.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ivan2006
General
General
avatar

Posts : 2096
Join date : 2012-05-08
Age : 20
Location : The Dungeon.

PostSubject: Re: The size of a planet   Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:29 pm

Iv121 wrote:
How would we differ ourselves ? Give me a single mod that even attempted to do what we are doing here now, the fact we are different from others is out of question, all I want to do is to make sure this wont end up like some other other mods , the ones that were never completed. You know already Im worried about it.

Also by not understanding what I wrote there or rather blanking out anything but what I wrote about Frost you don't get the point I made there, go and read it again until you do. All I ask you is to trust me for a single time in your lives at least in something, you refuse to do it every single time no matter what topic is at hand , even things I understand in.
You do realize 80% of people propably don´t read your posts about spheres anymore?
You are fighting a los battle, just saying.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Joel
Marine
Marine
avatar

Posts : 1473
Join date : 2012-04-01
Age : 20
Location : A Death World, stopping a Waaagh!

PostSubject: Re: The size of a planet   Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:52 pm

Ivan2006 wrote:
Iv121 wrote:
How would we differ ourselves ? Give me a single mod that even attempted to do what we are doing here now, the fact we are different from others is out of question, all I want to do is to make sure this wont end up like some other other mods , the ones that were never completed. You know already Im worried about it.

Also by not understanding what I wrote there or rather blanking out anything but what I wrote about Frost you don't get the point I made there, go and read it again until you do. All I ask you is to trust me for a single time in your lives at least in something, you refuse to do it every single time no matter what topic is at hand , even things I understand in.
You do realize 80% of people propably don´t read your posts about spheres anymore?
You are fighting a los battle, just saying.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iv121
General
General
avatar

Posts : 2396
Join date : 2012-02-05
Age : 22
Location : -> HERE ! <-

PostSubject: Re: The size of a planet   Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:17 am

My post wasn’t even about spheres. Don't read my posts ? Alright I got it already, I won't bother replying to you, hope you feel great about yourselves now because you should be quite ashamed of your last post

Though respecting other ppl is not  value here so I guess you won't even be that, which is why I consider leaving this godforsaken place, because of your ignorance and full disrespect towards me (and other members too actually).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MercurySteam
Infantry
Infantry
avatar

Posts : 543
Join date : 2013-06-22

PostSubject: Re: The size of a planet   Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:34 am

Meh, I agree with Iv. Not on whatever everyone's been rambling about for the last page, but the sphere/cube thing. I really don't know how anyone could take anything seriously while orbiting a cube.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Groot
Marine
Marine
avatar

Posts : 1456
Join date : 2012-03-18
Age : 21
Location : Yggdrasil

PostSubject: Re: The size of a planet   Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:58 am

MercurySteam wrote:
Meh, I agree with Iv. Not on whatever everyone's been rambling about for the last page, but the sphere/cube thing. I really don't know how anyone could take anything seriously while orbiting a cube.
The same way they take a world made of cubes seriously.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Saravanth
Recruit
Recruit
avatar

Posts : 286
Join date : 2012-09-08
Location : *snap snap*

PostSubject: Re: The size of a planet   Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:14 am

Iv121 wrote:

Though respecting other ppl is not  value here so I guess you won't even be that, which is why I consider leaving this godforsaken place, because of your ignorance and full disrespect towards me (and other members too actually).
Eh, don't listen to Ivan. Most people who notice your post read it as well. I do, at least. I respect you, and in my opinion your leaving would be a great shame as you appear to be really caring about the mod.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iv121
General
General
avatar

Posts : 2396
Join date : 2012-02-05
Age : 22
Location : -> HERE ! <-

PostSubject: Re: The size of a planet   Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:48 am

Prototype wrote:

The same way they take a world made of cubes seriously.
point is that with cubes I can make circles, it is still minecraft, but in quantity cubes can form a circle, that is why spheres are valid in minecraft. In fact. that cubic world is actually what makes circular structures look especially well, there corners and diagonals that this circular shape is filled with give the feeling of detail and make the shape look so much natural,  a cube has only a couple of corners in the sides which gives the feeling of flatness, but thanks to the pixelised nature of spheres in MC they feel much more rich and remain minecrafty, they don’t feel out of place, just like a circular tower you build.

and I really hope Ivan is no different than you sara.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
avatar

Posts : 1835
Join date : 2011-10-13

PostSubject: Re: The size of a planet   Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:05 pm

I understand the appeal of a spherical planet, but what do you see the surface mapping out to at the ground level?

Here are the possibilities I see for a flat map.

Equirectangular


Most straightforward, simple to map around the equator.  Massive distortion around the poles.  Travel and rendering within line-of-sight of the pole may very well be impossible.

Mollweide

Poles taper to a point, for a better distribution of the land area.  Seam along the 180 degree meridian.  I have no idea how to stitch up a rectangular grid along this edge.

Robinson

A middle-ground between the first two.  Less distortion, but has both seam problems.

Peirce Quincuncial

Weird looking thing.  Big distortion at the midpoints, but no alignment issues.  Tessellates like a boss.
Spoiler:
 
Hmm.  Actually...
I looked at this projection before and dismissed for some reason, but for the life of me I can't remember what that reason was.

...There is a chance this isn't impossible after all.  Lucky you, Iv.

I'm going to keep developing for planar structures because that keeps things sane, but we can definitely give this a shot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Saravanth
Recruit
Recruit
avatar

Posts : 286
Join date : 2012-09-08
Location : *snap snap*

PostSubject: Re: The size of a planet   Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:41 pm

Lord fr0stbyte124 wrote:
Lucky you, Iv.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tiel+
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
avatar

Posts : 5497
Join date : 2012-02-20
Age : 20
Location : AFK

PostSubject: Re: The size of a planet   Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:52 pm

Would much rather have more content in the time it would take to perfect spherical worlds. It's not like people are going to see a cube-shaped planet in a game made of blocks and go into convulsions.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Groot
Marine
Marine
avatar

Posts : 1456
Join date : 2012-03-18
Age : 21
Location : Yggdrasil

PostSubject: Re: The size of a planet   Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:54 pm

Tiel+ wrote:
Would much rather have more content in the time it would take to perfect spherical worlds. It's not like people are going to see a cube-shaped planet in a game made of blocks and go into convulsions.
+1
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
avatar

Posts : 1835
Join date : 2011-10-13

PostSubject: Re: The size of a planet   Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:04 pm

That is assuming that all development has equal cost.  The biggest challenge of other projections was that the chunk seams were non-linear.  This one doesn't have that.  It may not take much time at all.

Plus, this would mean you could avoid edge conditions, which I guarantee are non-trivial to address.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iv121
General
General
avatar

Posts : 2396
Join date : 2012-02-05
Age : 22
Location : -> HERE ! <-

PostSubject: Re: The size of a planet   Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:08 pm

You made my day even better than I expected, thx frost Smile (I mean I didn't expect actual spherical planets are possible), guess I got no reason for muttering for the near future ...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
avatar

Posts : 3123
Join date : 2011-08-31
Location : I'm a butterfly.

PostSubject: Re: The size of a planet   Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:18 pm

Wait... so cube or sphere?

_________________



Noli timere tenebras quam lucem, id est tortor.


Spoiler:
 



Mackeroth est abiit. Hinc abiit, et misit me in profundum subconscious!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Saravanth
Recruit
Recruit
avatar

Posts : 286
Join date : 2012-09-08
Location : *snap snap*

PostSubject: Re: The size of a planet   Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:36 pm

Only time will tell.
No, for real, I'm not sure anymore. Spheres are given a shot again because fr0st forgot why they didn't do before, and if that fails we'll get cubes. As far as I understand.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
avatar

Posts : 1835
Join date : 2011-10-13

PostSubject: Re: The size of a planet   Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:52 pm

The Schmetterling wrote:
Wait... so cube or sphere?
Nobody knows! Mwa ha ha ha.
I'll need to try both. In fact, it's not impossible both could be present in the engine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Groot
Marine
Marine
avatar

Posts : 1456
Join date : 2012-03-18
Age : 21
Location : Yggdrasil

PostSubject: Re: The size of a planet   Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:53 pm

The Schmetterling wrote:
Wait... so cube or sphere?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: The size of a planet   

Back to top Go down
 
The size of a planet
Back to top 
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Planet Fish (short review)
» eshop: Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition Release Date And Estimated File Size Confirmed!
» Bumble bee grouper (kerapu emas) size 15cm
» "The Tempest" of "Forbidden Planet" (the movie)
» [IMPLEMENTED] choose Pagefile.sys Size

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Futurecraft Forums :: General Area :: Members' Lounge-
Jump to: