Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Share | 

Homeworld 2 Mod

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Joel
Marine
Marine

PostSubject: Homeworld 2 Mod   Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:13 am

Last night I was thinking about the thread about a Futurecraft RTS while I was playing Homeworld 2, and thought "Wouldn't it be cool if I was instead playing a Futurecraft mod?" And decided today that I'd start it. But after firing up some of my tools, I realized, "Sure, I could make the mod, but I want this to be accurate - And I really don't have enough to go on to make balanced factions." That's why I need your help. My goal is a total conversion Futurecraft (RP Universe ofc) Homeworld 2 mod. . If anyone would like to join me in the making of this mod, IE texture work, modeling, music, etc you are free to do so. Now, I'd also need something from all us RPers in here, what I and anyone else doing models are textures need is ships, but do not fret as all is really needed is some basic info on the ship and a few drawings of it Keep in mind however we'd need enough to create a workable faction; At least 2 ships per size class (exception for dreadnought size) of varying roles (IE, bombers and interceptors for fighters, anti-strikecraft and anti-capital frigates, etc). Please do contribute what you can to make this project the best it can be.

The Team:
Project Lead: Vinyl
Texture Artists : Fenway, Vinyl
Modelers : Tiel, Vinyl
Composer : Vinyl
Tester : Vinyl

Ship Submission:

Class Name:
Role (Freighter, Combat, etc):
Size (Frigate, Cruiser, etc):
Weaponry (List if Any):
Screenshots/Drawings (Screenshots of a build or concept drawings both work fine but require views from multiple angles):

So far I have a lot of concept art of ships lying around, but I decided to start with one of the easier ships to model first.
Heavy WIP Campaign-Class Cruiser:

Last edited by Vinyl on Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ACH0225
General
General

PostSubject: Re: Homeworld 2 Mod   Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:37 am

Basic Strigiforme design is a delta-shape. A Strigiforme ship could also be 2 deltas connected at the point or something.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iv121
General
General

PostSubject: Re: Homeworld 2 Mod   Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:12 am

You know the UTN designs, as for the big weird robotic guys who built the arks Im working on it , Im working on it. Also I suggest using those 3 factions proto did for his pack where he sort of combined factions together to make stuff because for now I don't think we can handle more than 3. Each faction should have different taste and specialty like the UTN specializes in fighters and long range engagement but the frigates and cruisers are probably lacking a bit. The owls will probably excel in defences as ACH probably built like a space fort with giant walls and billions of turrets around his planet even though that would be OP as hell and nobody will give him that but you get the point ... as for the third faction I don’t even remember who it was ...

I should look into coding Homeworld as just sending ships in looks too flat for me ... It must have some sort of integrated script system ...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MrTargareyan
Infantry
Infantry

PostSubject: Re: Homeworld 2 Mod   Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:00 am

What modelling program is that? Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tiel+
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st

PostSubject: Re: Homeworld 2 Mod   Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:39 pm

Don't do Homeworld 2, the only way to even get it at this point is piracy - no online distributor sells it.

Instead use the Spring RTS engine, it's free and everyone can get it. Legally. With a bit of Lua knowledge you can do almost anything in it, though it's predesigned for large battles ala Supcom (it was originally supposed to be for the 3d sequel to Total Annihiliation in fact, basically SupCom's grandad and Planetary Annihiliation's great, great grandad).

I would like to sign on as a modeller. I don't have anything to show yet, but just give me some designs and I'll do the best I can. And if we are working together, I'd really like some semblance of organization, otherwise project=fail.

MrTargareyan wrote:
What modelling program is that? Smile
That's Wings3D. And, uh, Vinyl. They say everything can look a lot better with textures, but I don't know about that model..

ACH0225 wrote:
Basic Strigiforme design is a delta-shape. A Strigiforme ship could also be 2 deltas connected at the point or something.
I'm going to be presumptuous here and say wat. Vinyl has a ship submission form right at the end of the post, use it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MrTargareyan
Infantry
Infantry

PostSubject: Re: Homeworld 2 Mod   Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:45 pm

Is it possible to model with google sketchup? Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Homeworld 2 Mod   Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:50 pm

Yes and no.

Sketchup is traditionally for designing, and as a result doesn't really give a rat's right buttcheek about modelling standards. Hence why the default only exports to proprietary formats, and even exports by the pro version end up with vertices amok and open faces everywhere. It's an absolute pain to clean up, so if you ever sign up for a modding team where they need obj files for final conversion it's ideal to use gmax, 3DS Max, or Wings.

As they say on the product page, Sketchup is more for putting your idea in a tangible form, so it is perfect for concept artists that want to get their point over to a modeller or two, or binvoxing, but not much of anything else.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MrTargareyan
Infantry
Infantry

PostSubject: Re: Homeworld 2 Mod   Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:54 pm

Comrade Tiel wrote:
Yes and no.

Sketchup is traditionally for designing, and as a result doesn't really give a rat's right buttcheek about modelling standards. Hence why the default only exports to proprietary formats, and even exports by the pro version end up with vertices amok and open faces everywhere. It's an absolute pain to clean up, so if you ever sign up for a modding team where they need obj files for final conversion it's ideal to use gmax, 3DS Max, or Wings.

As they say on the product page, Sketchup is more for putting your idea in a tangible form, so it is perfect for concept artists that want to get their point over to a modeller or two, or binvoxing, but not much of anything else.
Damn it, the interface for sketch up is so easy :/ Are any of those similar to Sketchup? Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Groot
Marine
Marine

PostSubject: Re: Homeworld 2 Mod   Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:58 pm

Will Blender do?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Homeworld 2 Mod   Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:08 pm

Negatori, though gmax is pretty easy to pick up and has plenty of tutorials. 3DS is the industry standard and is basically gmax's big brother, if you're in high school you can apply for a student license and get the three latest versions for free. Wings is for enthusiasts and great for the quick model, ie:

I myself prefer it for binvoxing because it's light on resources and exports in a variety of formats. Probably your best bet if you're into Sketchup.

@Prototype, if you can do blender...I pretty much gave up on that one after the interface gave me a migraine, lol, so can't really say. It does export to obj, though, so you should be fine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MrTargareyan
Infantry
Infantry

PostSubject: Re: Homeworld 2 Mod   Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:11 pm

Comrade Tiel wrote:
Negatori, though gmax is pretty easy to pick up and has plenty of tutorials. 3DS is the industry standard and is basically gmax's big brother, if you're in high school you can apply for a student license and get the three latest versions for free. Wings is for enthusiasts and great for the quick model, ie:

I myself prefer it for binvoxing because it's light on resources and exports in a variety of formats. Probably your best bet if you're into Sketchup.
Wings drove me insane when I tried to use it a while back; so I guess I will try Gmax Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Homeworld 2 Mod   Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:13 pm

A warning: Gmax is/was basically Autodesk's version of a 'gateway drug' - it doesn't import to obj by default, which is probably what's going to be needed which ever way Vinyl goes. You'll need to pick up a MAXscript to do that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MrTargareyan
Infantry
Infantry

PostSubject: Re: Homeworld 2 Mod   Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:18 pm

Comrade Tiel wrote:
A warning: Gmax is/was basically Autodesk's version of a 'gateway drug' - it doesn't import to obj by default, which is probably what's going to be needed which ever way Vinyl goes. You'll need to pick up a MAXscript to do that.
Ahh crap, I will just try to use wings then
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hierarch Fenway
DEV
DEV

PostSubject: Re: Homeworld 2 Mod   Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:33 pm

I will apply to texture, though i'm probably not going to do any super-high resolution stuff.

If an RTS doesn't work out, we could use Freespace 2- it would be more like a story mode then, but it would be very good for simulating battles between the various factions.

I will be bringing in NeoRoman ships soon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iv121
General
General

PostSubject: Re: Homeworld 2 Mod   Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:55 pm

W8 you plan to mod FS2 now ? That is a bit too much for you I think ... Also as I figured those obj files will go another conversion on their way in a format that keeps both the mesh and game data.

Apart from writing stuff (apparently it uses LUA for scripting) I can also help with texturing, I think you will mostly need modellers for this one however.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Joel
Marine
Marine

PostSubject: Re: Homeworld 2 Mod   Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:59 pm

Good... good... And since no one has ever seen what a refined version of my 'large' ships look like, they're basically varying sizes of cylinders with different odd and ends stuck on to make production easier on the shipyards and drydocks. But I can always go back and revise anything really.
Added Tiel and Fen to the team.
@Iv Freespace 2 is apparently a backup in case this goes horribly wrong.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Homeworld 2 Mod   Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:59 pm

Iv121 wrote:
W8 you plan to mod FS2 now ? That is a bit too much for you I think ... Also as I figured those obj files will go another conversion on their way in a format that keeps both the mesh and game data.

Apart from writing stuff (apparently it uses LUA for scripting) I can also help with texturing, I think you will mostly need modellers for this one however.
No one's modding FS2, Fenway's just making a suggestion. I myself would like to have the project on a free engine everyone can download free of charge without violating copyright laws left and right.

And Obj is the most versatile model format - every converter to date in my insignificant modding career has used that standard due to the fact that almost every modelling program out there exports to it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iv121
General
General

PostSubject: Re: Homeworld 2 Mod   Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:13 pm

FS2 or Freespace open to be exact (that would be the engine you would prefer to mod and btw as the name suggests it is open source) is not easy to mod. I mean sure you can pop a few random ships but it wont be a good campaign. If it won't quite go here it won't quite go there either as it will fall in the same places it fell here. From my experience RTSs are a bit easier to mod (especially after I've seen the level editor ...) so it will be your best shot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hierarch Fenway
DEV
DEV

PostSubject: Re: Homeworld 2 Mod   Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:14 pm

Freespace 2 has it's source-code released, so modding it would not really be hard. What I meant for it, though, was a battle thing, to fly around in a starfighter during the various battles of the FC universe; such as NeoRome vs Strigiforme. It would be more a campaign-story thing, and custom ships can already (and have) been added. Just a suggestion, a backup, really.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iv121
General
General

PostSubject: Re: Homeworld 2 Mod   Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:18 pm

Well I thought the point was to make it with our ships ? Also is that a confession you plan to attack ACH ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Homeworld 2 Mod   Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:22 pm

Iv121 wrote:
FS2 or Freespace open to be exact (that would be the engine you would prefer to mod and btw as the name suggests it is open source) is not easy to mod. I mean sure you can pop a few random ships but it wont be a good campaign. If it won't quite go here it won't quite go there either as it will fall in the same places it fell here. From my experience RTSs are a bit easier to mod (especially after I've seen the level editor ...) so it will be your best shot.
That's sorta my point, I want this to be on Spring engine, if only so everyone has a chance at playing the end product without resorting to piracy (indeed, most of the people here would be unwilling to commit such an act, and thus the mod would become a massive waste of effort). Even FS2 open requires the retail data from the game itself, and by extension purchase of the game, though GOG sells it, so at least it's not a 'pirate or go home' situation like HW2.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Soul of Jack
Infantry
Infantry

PostSubject: Re: Homeworld 2 Mod   Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:24 pm

I shall try to Texture but don't count on it.
Maybe Tester too but still don't count on it happening.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Homeworld 2 Mod   Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:24 pm

What a useful post.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Groot
Marine
Marine

PostSubject: Re: Homeworld 2 Mod   Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:41 pm

I'll take a look at Gmax, I mean I can just about cut blender, but I really don't like it and it takes too long, Gmax looks like I'll be able to do decent quality stuff fairly quickly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Joel
Marine
Marine

PostSubject: Re: Homeworld 2 Mod   Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:30 pm

So after an arduous night of lack of sleep, I got back to work and present this:
Heavy WIP Heffron-Class Cruiser:

EDIT:
Heavy WIP Ujur-Class Carrier:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Homeworld 2 Mod   

Back to top Go down

Homeworld 2 Mod
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum