Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Lol parent thinks Skyrim is too bloody

Go down 
+8
MrTargareyan
Joel
Ivan2006
Luna
Soul of Jack
fr0stbyte124
MercurySteam
hyperlite
12 posters
AuthorMessage
hyperlite
Captain
Captain
hyperlite

Lol parent thinks Skyrim is too bloody Empty
PostSubject: Lol parent thinks Skyrim is too bloody   Lol parent thinks Skyrim is too bloody Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 9:48 pm

Not for kids to PLAY. However, WATCHING may be a different story.
I'm a parent of two boys, 7 and 10 years old. Finding a good game is much harder than it seems these days. Most are rated M for Mature and for very good reason. Skyrim, in my opinion, lies in murky grey territory. Let's have no ambiguity here: Skyrim is a violent game, and there are many things in the game I don't particularly want my kids to see. The game begins with a beheading, and a later visit to the city of Solitude also begins with a public execution (beheading). You will find bodies and heads impaled on stakes (here and there) as well as other evidence of battles or murders in various locations across the landscape. So, would I allow my kids to play Skyrim? In a word: NO. However, allowing them to watch ME play the game is a different story. Before you judge that statement, read on. The truth of Skyrim is that the amount of graphic violence you see can be easily controlled by the player. I have allowed both of my boys to watch two characters, one mage and one archer, progress up into nearly level 40, and we've seen very little that I'm terribly concerned with. Oh, for certain, I'll make a mistake now and then and slightly more violence will be seen than I had planned for, but quite honestly, this is rare and I'm relatively comfortable with my boys seeing small amounts of such things anyway. Knowing the game mechanics, there's no way I'd allow them to watch a game where I was playing a melee character, but mage/archer battles are nearly 100% bloodless. I think there's a fine line between being TOO protective and simply being judicious. I don't want my kids to see a nasty bloodbath, but I see little harm in allowing them to see small amounts of violence, so long as it can be understood contextually. Now, on to the other elements parents always seem to be concerned with: sexual themes and drug/alcohol use. I've not seen everything there is to see in the game, but I've seen little or nothing that suggests sexuality. In fact, this is one of the few games (of any ESRB rating) that doesn't make all the women into ridiculous caricatures of Playboy playmates. Everyone in the game seems to be dressed as reality would suggest they should be. I've seen a little cleavage here and there, but no more than a typical kid will see from their own family members. Now, on to drug/alcohol use. Mugs of ale, and bottles of wine/beer ABOUND in the world of Skyrim. They're everywhere, and can be picked up and sold at the various markets. You can also drink them and I do believe they will make the character drunk. My response: so what? My kids have never seen me drunk (nor have I been since they've been alive) but both of them know what alcohol does and the dangers of not using it in moderation. Making anything a taboo makes it interesting to kids. Thoroughly explain it, and it loses all of its mystique. I would say that anyone seriously concerned with the alcohol content of this game might not want to bring their kids to the supermarket. Last note: Language. There are VERY occasional uses of the "D" word (rhymes with a beaver's home) but I've not noticed any others. Bottom line, should young kids play this game? Not in my opinion. BUT, this is a fantastic game for adults, and one in which the graphic content can be almost 100% controlled by the player. Learn the game mechanic a tiny bit and you'll probably find there's no reason you can't allow your kids to WATCH.

This obviously wildly overprotective lady wrote this review. I mean, really?

http://www.commonsensemedia.org/game-reviews/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/user-reviews/adult?page=1
Back to top Go down
MercurySteam
Infantry
Infantry
MercurySteam

PostSubject: Re: Lol parent thinks Skyrim is too bloody   Lol parent thinks Skyrim is too bloody Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 11:10 pm

Hyperlite is an overprotective mother of two.
Back to top Go down
Joel
Marine
Marine
Joel

PostSubject: Re: Lol parent thinks Skyrim is too bloody   Lol parent thinks Skyrim is too bloody Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 11:39 pm

If you simply desensitize a kid at a young age (4-7) then things like ratings and such on things like video games don't matter.
It worked well on me anyways.

EDIT: On a note simply related to Skyrim, I beat the main quest in 1 days time over about 3 days.
EDIT2: I'm like level 30.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: Lol parent thinks Skyrim is too bloody   Lol parent thinks Skyrim is too bloody Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 12:33 am

catsonmeth wrote:
Hyperlite is an overprotective mother of two.
I've had my suspicions for a while, now.

Anyway, I think it's interesting she complained about the alcohol in the game, but never mentioned skooma, for all intents and purposes, the real drug in the game.  Bethesda takes a rather no-nonsense approach showing the addiction and how it ruins people's lives.  A stronger anti-drug message I've not seen in a video game.

Also, you can say damn on basic cable.  It's been a while since I've seen someone so afraid of the most entry level of naughty words.  I bet she locks her car doors when driving by poor people.

Vinyl wrote:
If you simply desensitize a kid at a young age (4-7) then things like ratings and such on things like video games don't matter.
It worked well on me anyways.
Kids are really easily manipulated, so you need to be careful not to distort their worldview at that age.  That said, being overprotective and hiding them from reality will do the job just the same.
Critical thinking has become a lost art, apparently.
Back to top Go down
Soul of Jack
Infantry
Infantry
Soul of Jack

PostSubject: Re: Lol parent thinks Skyrim is too bloody   Lol parent thinks Skyrim is too bloody Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 1:45 am

I bet you that 70% of the world is idiots and knuckleheads.
25% is the Common people and then 5% is geniuses.
Back to top Go down
Ivan2006
General
General
Ivan2006

PostSubject: Re: Lol parent thinks Skyrim is too bloody   Lol parent thinks Skyrim is too bloody Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 1:52 am

@jack but wouldn´t idiots be the common people if they were 70%?
Back to top Go down
Luna
Recruit
Recruit
Luna

PostSubject: Re: Lol parent thinks Skyrim is too bloody   Lol parent thinks Skyrim is too bloody Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 2:12 am

First of all,

HYPERLITE IS A FATHER?!?!?!?!??!?

And to actually address the topic at hand. I was not aloud to play any M rated video game until I was a freshmen in highschool, but I could play any T rated game I wanted. I myself am very squimish with blood, even if it is animated or clearly fake. But I do play Skyrim and I think it is on the lower side of the scale. 0 being good, 10 being the worst
Violence and Gore: 6-7
Drug and alcohol: 2
Sexual themes: 0-1
Back to top Go down
Ivan2006
General
General
Ivan2006

PostSubject: Re: Lol parent thinks Skyrim is too bloody   Lol parent thinks Skyrim is too bloody Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 2:44 am

Can´t tell, we don´t use the US rating system in Austria...
Back to top Go down
MrTargareyan
Infantry
Infantry
MrTargareyan

PostSubject: Re: Lol parent thinks Skyrim is too bloody   Lol parent thinks Skyrim is too bloody Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 3:04 am

Well; my little brother is 11, and has been playing call of duty since year 3 (I think that was 3 years ago now) and comes of the Xbox pumped with adrenaline and incredibly hyperactive; though he does play it for about 5 hours at a time. Mind you; who am I to talk? I play minecraft or starmade for about 10 hours with only breaks to eat fairly often in the holidays/weekends. Skyrim is actually better than call of duty in many respects for small kids to play; though they probably shouldn't. At least it has a story; and tends to present an anti drug, anti execution message. (Apart from the dark brotherhood quests Very Happy) In my opinion once people reach the age of 10/11 they could probably play most games as long as they don't find them distressing, but that may be influenced by my county; where many people start sweatin cod from 7 to whenever they go to bed when they are 8/9.

EDIT::
What is the US rating scheme equivalent to in England? Smile Eg.12, 15, 18

Last edited by MrTargareyan on Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MrTargareyan
Infantry
Infantry
MrTargareyan

PostSubject: Re: Lol parent thinks Skyrim is too bloody   Lol parent thinks Skyrim is too bloody Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 3:06 am

MrTargareyan wrote:
Well; my little brother is 11, and has been playing call of duty since year 3 (I think that was 3 years ago now) and comes of the Xbox pumped with adrenaline and incredibly hyperactive; though he does play it for about 5 hours at a time. Mind you; who am I to talk? I play minecraft or starmade for about 10 hours with only breaks to eat fairly often in the holidays/weekends. Skyrim is actually better than call of duty in many respects for small kids to play; though they probably shouldn't. At least it has a story; and tends to present an anti drug, anti execution message. (Apart from the dark brotherhood quests Very Happy) In my opinion once people reach the age of 10/11 they could probably play most games as long as they don't find them distressing, but that may be influenced by my county; where many people start sweatin cod from 7 to whenever they go to bed when they are 8/9.

EDIT::
Back to top Go down
Joel
Marine
Marine
Joel

PostSubject: Re: Lol parent thinks Skyrim is too bloody   Lol parent thinks Skyrim is too bloody Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 3:10 am

The edit button is literally in the right hand corner of your post...
Back to top Go down
MrTargareyan
Infantry
Infantry
MrTargareyan

PostSubject: Re: Lol parent thinks Skyrim is too bloody   Lol parent thinks Skyrim is too bloody Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 3:12 am

Vinyl wrote:
The edit button is literally in the right hand corner of your post...
I think I clicked quote by accident :3 Can someone delete the second post? Smile For some reason I cant do it.
Back to top Go down
Caramell
Sergeant
Sergeant
Caramell

PostSubject: Re: Lol parent thinks Skyrim is too bloody   Lol parent thinks Skyrim is too bloody Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 5:31 am

I let my 5 year old brother watch when I play Skyrim sometimes, and I don't think it's any problem.
He thinks the battles are fun and he knows to go away if it gets too scary.
And I can't see it affecting him in any way, other than that he's a little less afraid of dragons.
Back to top Go down
MrTargareyan
Infantry
Infantry
MrTargareyan

PostSubject: Re: Lol parent thinks Skyrim is too bloody   Lol parent thinks Skyrim is too bloody Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 5:57 am

Daynel wrote:

And I can't see it affecting him in any way, other than that he's a little less afraid of dragons.

The skyrim dragons are kinda cute. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Laserbilly
Infantry
Infantry
Laserbilly

PostSubject: Re: Lol parent thinks Skyrim is too bloody   Lol parent thinks Skyrim is too bloody Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 7:13 am

Ooh, yikes. I don't think I'd let my kids play that sort of game till they're in their teens at the least. Maybe start them out on something a little less graphic... Like Rise of the Triad or Doom.
Back to top Go down
Tau
Infantry
Infantry
Tau

PostSubject: Re: Lol parent thinks Skyrim is too bloody   Lol parent thinks Skyrim is too bloody Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 3:45 pm

MrTargareyan wrote:
Well, we have Ce / EC (for early childhood, stuff like Spongebob or Dora The Explorer), E (for everyone), E^10 (everyone ages 10 and up), T (teen), M (mature), and A (adult).

There aren't any sales restrictions on games rated Ce through T, but M-rated games require that the purchaser be over the age of 17 w/ valid ID. Games with an A rating require that you be over the age of 18, but that rating isn't used except for particularly egregious import titles.
Back to top Go down
MrTargareyan
Infantry
Infantry
MrTargareyan

PostSubject: Re: Lol parent thinks Skyrim is too bloody   Lol parent thinks Skyrim is too bloody Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 4:48 pm

So skyrim is closer to an 18 in America than a 15...interesting....
Back to top Go down
Tau
Infantry
Infantry
Tau

PostSubject: Re: Lol parent thinks Skyrim is too bloody   Lol parent thinks Skyrim is too bloody Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 4:57 pm

Skyrim is really closer to Teen (or 15+) than Mature. The only reason it's rated M is because of some fairly vague references to sexually explicit stuff.
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PostSubject: Re: Lol parent thinks Skyrim is too bloody   Lol parent thinks Skyrim is too bloody Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 5:00 pm

Well I did play some so called "violent" games when I was younger and so far I don't show psychopathic murder tendencies, I just didn't care about the violence and played as eagerly Morrowind, Deus Ex or that Praetorians strategy game . Games become more so called violent because they become more realistic graphics wise and for some reason the creators of games think more blood is more fun ... Honestly I don't give a damn about blood or gore, I don't get satisfaction from ripping ppl apart, and I also think people exaggerate about the effects of that violence on a person.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lol parent thinks Skyrim is too bloody   Lol parent thinks Skyrim is too bloody Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lol parent thinks Skyrim is too bloody
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Futurecraft Forums :: General Area :: Off-Topic Area-
Jump to: