Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Share | 

Rule Correction Suggestion 1: Forbid creating topics with similar content

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Do you support the rule ? Read the OP before Voting !
Yes
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
No
100%
 100% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 3

AuthorMessage
Iv121
General
General

PostSubject: Rule Correction Suggestion 1: Forbid creating topics with similar content   Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:09 pm

Tiel's rule suggestion:

It is forbidden to create topics with contents similar to ones already existing on the forums.

- You must search for the topic using the implemented serch option above and post your contents in the appropreate thread.
- It is allowed to post in threads older then one month for this purpose.

Arguments For:

not provided yet

Arguments against:

- Making a similar thread to one already existing is not a spam (unlike your multiple planetside threads) and therefore it doesn't hurt any rights of the forum members.
- Even if you find this true I do not think a ban and public humiliation is the correct punishment for such a minor to non-existent offense
- The Search option is flawed and if used ordinary doesn't give the necessary results.
- Searching for threads even though taking a short time is annoying and causes more harm than help. Yes that's right, making a new thread with contents similar to one existing is less harmful than even searching for a thread.
- There is no law forbidding laziness. We are here for free talk and not to enforce thousands of laws and make people feel uncomfortable.
- Besides help topics this system is not implemented in any other forum for a reason. how many "Obsidian tools" mods there are on the minecrft forums you think ?

full discussion can be found here :

http://futurecraft.forumotion.com/t1459-a-reply-to-proposal-regarding-duplicate

You are allowed to choose one of the votes above by November 21st 2012 . After this date you will not be able to vote. You are free to change your vote as you wish untill this date. You are allowed and encouraged to discuss the issue in the original topic by the address specified above. Any arguments you want to add to this thread should be marked in orange in the original thread. Counter arguments are not posted in this section.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ivan2006
General
General

PostSubject: Re: Rule Correction Suggestion 1: Forbid creating topics with similar content   Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:18 pm

I think, we do need a "deadline" for old threads to be called "unrevivable", otherwise not having this rule would result in abuse of its nonpresence.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Rule Correction Suggestion 1: Forbid creating topics with similar content   Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:24 pm

'Public humiliation and a ban' is not the suggested punishment. Members would receive some small number of points, say only one. Unless they do it over and over, that wouldn't result in a ban, and I'm not sure how it can be construed as public humiliation.

I know there's no law against laziness. This is because there's no way to enforce such a law. If there was, the world might be a nicer place.

I think it's telling that you stated only your arguments, claiming that Tiel's were 'not provided yet', and you included the ones that have been soundly busted in the other thread.

Now, all that said, I think this is a rule that would be difficult to enforce, because it's hard to clearly define it in a way that can always be applied. We're trying to draw a line across a field of grey here, instead of putting it between two areas of black and white. It doesn't work very well. So I agree with the proposal in spirit, but I think further refinement might be needed before it becomes a useful rule.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tiel+
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st

PostSubject: Re: Rule Correction Suggestion 1: Forbid creating topics with similar content   Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:40 pm

We already have a proposal for this, Iv. This itself is a duplicate thread, ironically enough.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iv121
General
General

PostSubject: Re: Rule Correction Suggestion 1: Forbid creating topics with similar content   Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:57 pm

One that you caused by your refusal to put a vote. I also asked to have all discussion in the original thread. If there are any arguments for or against I said to mark them orange, counter arguments not included (LJS)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Rule Correction Suggestion 1: Forbid creating topics with similar content   Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:59 pm

Iv121 wrote:
One that you caused by your refusal to put a vote. I also asked to have all discussion in the original thread. If there are any arguments for or against I said to mark them orange, counter arguments not included (LJS)
Yeah, and I ignored it, because that's stupid. If there's going to be a debate, it should happen in one place.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Rule Correction Suggestion 1: Forbid creating topics with similar content   Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:01 pm

My...refusal to put...a vote?

You do realize how foolish you're acting right now, correct?

At the time of your thread being posted, there was one vote in favor of my proposal (me) and two against (you and some other guy). Everyone has had the opportunity to view the opinions presented and vote. I don't see why you continue arguing...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iv121
General
General

PostSubject: Re: Rule Correction Suggestion 1: Forbid creating topics with similar content   Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:02 pm

Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:
Iv121 wrote:
Yeah, and I ignored it, because that's stupid. If there's going to be a debate, it should happen in one place.

That was the point when I asked to keep the discussion in the original thread. This one should be locked as it serves only for the vote.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Rule Correction Suggestion 1: Forbid creating topics with similar content   Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:05 pm

I am seriously considering deleting all the topics that this debate has spilled into, and replacing them with one topic with one poll that you guys can argue in. It seems like a lot of the trouble here comes from there being many (Three?) topics devoted to this problem. The irony is just amazing here, but does that seem like a good idea?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iv121
General
General

PostSubject: Re: Rule Correction Suggestion 1: Forbid creating topics with similar content   Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:14 pm

Lock this one, the other one is locked anyway, problem solved. I told you to put the vote in the original thread but you didn’t. I see the irony, smooth move by Tiel .

Last edited by Iv121 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Rule Correction Suggestion 1: Forbid creating topics with similar content   Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:49 pm

I don't know what you're accusing me of here. I don't have the power to moderate topics outside of the Judicial section, nor have I locked any threads within this subforum anyway..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iv121
General
General

PostSubject: Re: Rule Correction Suggestion 1: Forbid creating topics with similar content   Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:29 pm

Tiel has rewritten his proposal (Glad you accepted my point of view Razz ) and so this topic is no longer useful. It's been quite a mess with this suggestion because of the simple fact the suggestion was posted in a closed forum. Therefore I suggest that any future suggestions will be made in public forums. If anyone has objection he can write them down in the original thread which will remain open untill the short vote that has to be prolonged ends.

Can one of the mods lock this one ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rule Correction Suggestion 1: Forbid creating topics with similar content   

Back to top Go down

Rule Correction Suggestion 1: Forbid creating topics with similar content
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1