Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

What to do with magic.

Go down 
+8
ACH0225
Chapter Master Addeptis
Captain stufuzzycat
torrentialAberration
Tiel+
Last_Jedi_Standing
Iv121
Ivan2006
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Ivan2006
General
General
Ivan2006

What to do with magic. Empty
PostSubject: What to do with magic.   What to do with magic. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2012 11:07 am

Vanilla MC has a lot of magic aspects, as we all know.
That doesn´t fit the FC-theme, but its deletion will be a horrible waste of code.
So, what to do?

1.) Obsidian
It has been mentioned that there are plans on replacing Obsidian.
This will lead to some stuff becoming unavailable, which you can find in further sections of this OP.

2.) The Nether
No Obsidian means no Nether Portal means no way of getting into the nether.
Well, the Nether is a basically a big cave system, right?
So why not just put it underneath the world? Make it, instead of a transition from stone to bedrock, a transition from stone to "crust block" (I don´t have a better name for it right now, but it´s basically as hard to break as Obsidian was, making accessing th Nether not easier then before) to Netherrack to the actual Nether. (maybe have hight level for the Nether negative so that people don´t get confused because of a suddenly higher hight)
Maybe even add some rare resources to the Nether.

3.) Nether Items
Well, now that we have the Nether, let´s care about the drops from the Nether mobs.
We could use them for technology, like Blaze rods for more efficient coal generators, Ghast tears for basic energy weapons, I´m not sure let the Devs decide on this one.
Just 1 thing though: The Nether Star at the end of the Wither-line of process needs a reuse, beacons are crap. (my opinion)

4.) Enchanting table
No Obsidian=>Enchanting Table recipe unavailabe=>waht should I do with my exp?=>Either use them in the anvil or=>implementation of a button that gives you Speed 1 and Strenght 1 effects for 10 seconds for the cost of 1 level.

5.) Ender Chest
Remove. If you want something like it, use cargo teleporters instead.

6.) Beacon
Requires Obsidian. Scratch it.

7.) Poitions
Delete and reuse poition effects for chemical stuff.
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PostSubject: Re: What to do with magic.   What to do with magic. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2012 12:21 pm

Obsidian is not magic ... the rest ... well who cares ? Have you seen many enchantments in tekkit ? Or potions ?
Back to top Go down
Ivan2006
General
General
Ivan2006

PostSubject: Re: What to do with magic.   What to do with magic. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2012 12:48 pm

Iv121 wrote:
Obsidian is not magic ... the rest ... well who cares ? Have you seen many enchantments in tekkit ? Or potions ?

I know Obsidian isn´t magic, but magical stuff is basically all you can do with it (unless you wanna go mad and build a bunker out of it)

And you are right, in Tekkit, noone uses Enchantments or Potions, as there will be with FC, but if it isn´t gonna get used anyway, why not reuse the stuff?
It would even give people a reason to collect that "magical" stuff again.
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: What to do with magic.   What to do with magic. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2012 1:14 pm

There was a thread a few months ago about all the stuff FC would just rip out of Minecraft. All that stuff was on it. I think it's just going to go away, because it doesn't fit.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: What to do with magic.   What to do with magic. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2012 1:28 pm

Or just find new means to obtain them, maybe? Like a Potion of Healing could become a Medkit given a proper retexture and a new method of acquiring it
Back to top Go down
Ivan2006
General
General
Ivan2006

PostSubject: Re: What to do with magic.   What to do with magic. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2012 1:51 pm

Tiel wrote:
Or just find new means to obtain them, maybe? Like a Potion of Healing could become a Medkit given a proper retexture and a new method of acquiring it

That´s basically reusing the potion effects as I suspected.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: What to do with magic.   What to do with magic. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2012 2:02 pm

Oh sorry, I skimmed Sad
Back to top Go down
torrentialAberration
Infantry
Infantry
torrentialAberration

PostSubject: Re: What to do with magic.   What to do with magic. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2012 7:23 pm

We should get rid of ghasts, zombies (except for bio weapons), skeletons, blazes, etc. and replace them with different hostiles, like the majestic Magma Dolphin!
Back to top Go down
Captain stufuzzycat
Sergeant
Sergeant
Captain stufuzzycat

PostSubject: Re: What to do with magic.   What to do with magic. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2012 7:58 pm

Majestic Magma Dolphins FTW!
Back to top Go down
Chapter Master Addeptis
Recruit
Recruit
Chapter Master Addeptis

Location : Probably being eaten bye tyranids on a unknown planet.

PostSubject: Re: What to do with magic.   What to do with magic. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2012 9:33 pm

Well if u want to take a page straight of GW playbook. You could just rename all magic abilities "Psyhic powers". OF course its more complex then that just that, and i am sure allot of the magic items will still need to be redone. Seeing as Warhammer40k wanted "magic type" abilities but thought "magic" just didn't fit. So they recalled it Psyhic abilities. And pretty much just renamed everything. Here is my idea of it.....

1.) Obsidian
It has been mentioned that there are plans on replacing Obsidian.
This will lead to some stuff becoming unavailable, which you can find in further sections of this OP. (currently i don't have a better idea on this one)

2.) The Nether
Why not turn it into the Warp? It looks pretty dam close to it now, from what i read in some books anyways. You could turn ghast in Demons and zombie pig men in to corrupted human beings.

3.) Nether Items
Well, now that we have the Nether, let´s care about the drops from the Nether mobs.
We could use them for technology, like Blaze rods for more efficient coal generators, Ghast tears for basic energy weapons, I´m not sure let the Devs decide on this one.
Just 1 thing though: The Nether Star at the end of the Wither-line of process needs a reuse, beacons are crap. (I have no better idea on this one either :C )

4.) Enchanting table
Turn it into a Modification satiation Or leave it and rename it a Psyhic Station or something around those lines.

5.) Ender Chest
Remove. If you want something like it, use cargo teleporters instead. (I agree on this one)

6.) Beacon
Requires Obsidian. Scratch it. (I agree as well)

7.) Poitions
Turn them into different psyhic powers.

EX: Poition of instant damage=Smite( Maybe a lighting bolt or fire ball?)

Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: What to do with magic.   What to do with magic. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2012 9:44 pm

Warhammer 40k online?

e: Okay, what I mean here is the main flaw with the original MCforum OP was that it essentially copy/pasted a ton of sci fi stuff from different franchises. That is no bien, I'd think.

Like the ideas you're putting forth, though, they just need different names like the Oblivion instead of the Warp, or Cybernetics as opposed to Psychic powers.

Though I'm against trying to integrate Futurecraft progression into the current Minecraft system, it's become far too fantasy-like to smoothly transition into a sci fi environment. I'd say keep the code in a nice little storage bin in the game, but don't allow players access to the stuff that will utterly break the immersion.

The nether, for instance. It has no real explanation other than really, really cruddy ones conjured up by fans, which is fine for a fantasy game, but not a mod with authenticity in mind. So remove nether gates completely, instead make access to the Nether/Warp/Oblivion/Void be via ambiguous actions like walking into a particle collider. This would also require some recoding to make it more like an acid trip than a genuine realm, or some really good texture work.

A nice story behind that working would be Jumpgates working by transferring matter into pathways through another dimension, sending runners to corresponding gates ahead of the passenger ships to clear a safe way through. The Nether/Warp/Oblivion/Void would be this dimension, capable of being accessed through the mechanisms leading up to the creation of a Jumpgate. Some materials to aid in that particular train of research might be found there as well, but the realm in general would be very vicious and have actual sci fi enemies to fight.

Enderchest probably can serve as a framework for player lockers and such, so tuck that away.

Last edited by Tiel on Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: What to do with magic.   What to do with magic. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2012 9:51 pm

We don't need any of this stuff. We shouldn't have magic, or psychic powers, or the Force, or any of that stuff. Just rip it out of the game. That'll save everyone a lot of time trying to justify @#$% that shouldn't be there.
Back to top Go down
torrentialAberration
Infantry
Infantry
torrentialAberration

PostSubject: Re: What to do with magic.   What to do with magic. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2012 10:03 pm

Last_Jedi_Standing wrote:
We don't need any of this stuff. We shouldn't have magic, or psychic powers, or the Force, or any of that stuff. Just rip it out of the game. That'll save everyone a lot of time trying to justify @#$% that shouldn't be there.

Agreed. Rip and toss. If obsidian stays, it shouldn't have that supernatural strength that it has in game. As for the Nether, I like the idea of having a nether-like "mantle" under the rock layer, but don't really know how it could be used or have a reason worth implementation. Dragons could be neat to have as long as they're not magic, as would giant sea creatures and a giant mammoth or squirrel or something for land.
Back to top Go down
ACH0225
General
General
ACH0225

PostSubject: Re: What to do with magic.   What to do with magic. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2012 11:33 pm

Replace nether portals with Yttrium portals. Problem solved. I won't even beak you about copying our technology, because we have no idea how it works either.
Back to top Go down
Caramell
Sergeant
Sergeant
Caramell

PostSubject: Re: What to do with magic.   What to do with magic. Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2012 3:04 am

ACH0225 wrote:
Replace nether portals with Yttrium portals. Problem solved. I won't even beak you about copying our technology, because we have no idea how it works either.
Why not use wormholes?
We'll get the generators small enough for private use soon.
Back to top Go down
ACH0225
General
General
ACH0225

PostSubject: Re: What to do with magic.   What to do with magic. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2012 11:59 am

What to do with magic? Burn it in the fires of industry.
Back to top Go down
_Shadowcat_
Infantry
Infantry
_Shadowcat_

PostSubject: Re: What to do with magic.   What to do with magic. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2012 5:24 pm

ACH0225 wrote:
What to do with magic? Burn it in the fires of industry.
Or fuel industry with the fires of magic.
Back to top Go down
Ivan2006
General
General
Ivan2006

PostSubject: Re: What to do with magic.   What to do with magic. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2012 4:28 am

Well, why not disable random-vodoo-stuff and enable energy-from-omnipresent-energy-source for the Force?
Force Crystals FTW!
Back to top Go down
Groot
Marine
Marine
Groot

PostSubject: Re: What to do with magic.   What to do with magic. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2012 9:17 am

I must say I like your idea of putting the nether under the normal world, that would make the nether the mantle of the world, and would give it a more realistic molten core.

I can totally see shipbuilding in the caverns of the nether, which the. Get launched out into orbit via a massive hole in the ground, that seems awesome to me.
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: What to do with magic.   What to do with magic. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 5:42 am

Sort of agreed. In the early stages of Futurecraft, we'll leave all the Vanilla stuff in there, and we'll decide whether to take it out or make it useful later.
Back to top Go down
Ivan2006
General
General
Ivan2006

PostSubject: Re: What to do with magic.   What to do with magic. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 1:07 pm

The Schmetterling wrote:

Sort of agreed. In the early stages of Futurecraft, we'll leave all the Vanilla stuff in there, and we'll decide whether to take it out or make it useful later.

That´s something I can agree on.
sorta.
But I guess I have to live with it anyway.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What to do with magic.   What to do with magic. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What to do with magic.
Page 1 of 1