Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Shipbuilding tools

Go down 
+7
Delta
Emperor_Revan
Tiel+
torrentialAberration
Groot
Iv121
_Shadowcat_
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
_Shadowcat_
Infantry
Infantry
_Shadowcat_

Shipbuilding tools Empty
PostSubject: Shipbuilding tools   Shipbuilding tools Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2012 8:04 am

What are some good texture packs and/or mods?
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Tiel+

Shipbuilding tools Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shipbuilding tools   Shipbuilding tools Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2012 8:25 am

Singleplayer commands, or, alternatively, a local Bukkit server, is a must.

Laserbilly has a texturepack, Vinyl has a texturepack that's an edit of Iv's texturepack that he says is actually some form of clusterf**k of other 16x tps. I also have one, but it's a mashup of New Worlds and Dark Matter, the latter of which many people seem to like here.

Frankly, it's for the best to just go vanilla concerning textures so everyone can understand what's what.
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

Shipbuilding tools Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shipbuilding tools   Shipbuilding tools Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2012 9:22 am

I don’t like to limit myself with mere mispainted blocks. I actually have 2 texture sets for 2 different kinds of ships and I'm making a third one (that would be Standard set, Shivan set and Nomad set)
Back to top Go down
Groot
Marine
Marine
Groot

Shipbuilding tools Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shipbuilding tools   Shipbuilding tools Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2012 11:00 am

When it comes to textures, you are best off making your own, just download something like paint.net or gimp and edit the texture file, I would recommend editing the wool textures, because you are probably not going to use the vanilla texture, and it makes use of otherwise useless blocks.

For example, I needed a block with the same texture as iron but it had to be a dark grey colour, so I just edited the grey wool texture.

For shipbuilding, get single player commands, and download the MCedit program, both are invaluable.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

Shipbuilding tools Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shipbuilding tools   Shipbuilding tools Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2012 12:20 pm

Iv121 wrote:
I don’t like to limit myself with mere mispainted blocks.

Anyone with an ounce of creativity can make use of the blocks available in vMC to build astounding stuff. Until we can all agree on one, universal texturepack or eazymc finishes the preliminary blocks, it's for the best to just go with default.
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

Shipbuilding tools Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shipbuilding tools   Shipbuilding tools Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2012 1:35 pm

We build ships for fun and they probably wont be usable in the real stuff anyway. Creativity has it's limits, you have no way of achieving that immersion I did in the Shivan pack without it. I personally made the textures to fit the theme and used them to build my ships. Probably the only limit on us is the number of blocks we are willing to add, in the mod itself countless different textures could be added if you have the time to paint all those textures ofc. And srsly if you accuse me in choosing the easiest way instead of using my "creativity" than making a whole new texture pack for a few ships is not exactly easy.
Back to top Go down
torrentialAberration
Infantry
Infantry
torrentialAberration

Shipbuilding tools Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shipbuilding tools   Shipbuilding tools Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2012 1:56 pm

Faithful texturepack is good if you want to keep the default colors in a higher definition.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

Shipbuilding tools Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shipbuilding tools   Shipbuilding tools Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2012 3:01 pm

Iv121 wrote:
And srsly if you accuse me in choosing the easiest way

Please do tell me where I said anything of the sort.

As for usability in the final mod, I don't think there will be many changes save for some quick MCEdits to change our current blocks to the mod's and adding the cores. Unless you mean streamlining the amount of blocks needed, which I agree will be quite a problem for people who build for aesthetics rather than functionality.
Back to top Go down
Emperor_Revan
Recruit
Recruit
Emperor_Revan

Location : Aboard the Dov-Class Super Star Destroyer Glories Wake

Shipbuilding tools Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shipbuilding tools   Shipbuilding tools Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2012 4:59 pm

Tools:
MCedit
Toomanyitems
Singleplayer commands
For texturepacks, i would suggest laserbilly's modified one for ships and misa's HD texturepack for buildings (great iron texture). the building one can be found on planetminecraft
Back to top Go down
_Shadowcat_
Infantry
Infantry
_Shadowcat_

Shipbuilding tools Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shipbuilding tools   Shipbuilding tools Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2012 5:21 pm

Please girls, Its just a texture pack. You dont need to kill each other for dominance here.

And im 99% sure that WE is in SSP?

Welp, Time to go update MC and download some texture packs.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

Shipbuilding tools Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shipbuilding tools   Shipbuilding tools Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2012 5:40 pm

Why is it you new guys always jump to the conclusion that any substantial difference in opinion equates to arguing? I've never quite understood that..

And tbh, I'd recommend running a localized Bukkit server over SPC, worldedit is pretty sporked in the latter.
Back to top Go down
Delta
Sergeant
Sergeant
Delta

Shipbuilding tools Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shipbuilding tools   Shipbuilding tools Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2012 5:54 pm

Tools for ship building should include

1. MCedit
2. SPC+world edit
3. Texturepack (I would suggest making your own)
4. TMI(Too Many Items) or NEI(Not Enough Items)
5. At minimum basic knowledge on how to use the things above.

Personally I've backdated to 1.2.5 to use Red power 2 and I also have Industrial Craft 2 installed to add some realistic/working internal components to ships.
Back to top Go down
http://arsln100.forumotion.com
Tiel+
Tiel+

Shipbuilding tools Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shipbuilding tools   Shipbuilding tools Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2012 6:07 pm

MCedit hasn't been updated since early this year and is quite unstable, to say the least. If you have the patience to troubleshoot every error it wants to throw at you such as the 'server tick' corruption it induces on worlds you edit with it, than by all means do so. It can be a powerful utility in the right hands. If you want to just get down to shipbuilding, Worldedit and its derivatives are much more versatile and productive for hands-on creation.
Back to top Go down
_Shadowcat_
Infantry
Infantry
_Shadowcat_

Shipbuilding tools Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shipbuilding tools   Shipbuilding tools Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2012 7:18 pm

High Lictor Arslan wrote:
Tools for ship building should include

1. MCedit
2. SPC+world edit
3. Texturepack (I would suggest making your own)
4. TMI(Too Many Items) or NEI(Not Enough Items)
5. At minimum basic knowledge on how to use the things above.

Personally I've backdated to 1.2.5 to use Red power 2 and I also have Industrial Craft 2 installed to add some realistic/working internal components to ships.

Tekkit make shipbuilding easy.
Back to top Go down
torrentialAberration
Infantry
Infantry
torrentialAberration

Shipbuilding tools Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shipbuilding tools   Shipbuilding tools Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2012 7:36 pm

Tiel wrote:
MCedit hasn't been updated since early this year and is quite unstable, to say the least. If you have the patience to troubleshoot every error it wants to throw at you such as the 'server tick' corruption it induces on worlds you edit with it, than by all means do so. It can be a powerful utility in the right hands. If you want to just get down to shipbuilding, Worldedit and its derivatives are much more versatile and productive for hands-on creation.

*Copy, mirror, paste.*
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

Shipbuilding tools Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shipbuilding tools   Shipbuilding tools Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2012 7:40 pm

Worldedit has copy/paste and can mirror to some degree of effectiveness. Personally I only risk the server tick error when I absolutely need to Roll or Mirror without any hassle.
Back to top Go down
Emperor_Revan
Recruit
Recruit
Emperor_Revan

Location : Aboard the Dov-Class Super Star Destroyer Glories Wake

Shipbuilding tools Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shipbuilding tools   Shipbuilding tools Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2012 7:46 pm

tick error?
Back to top Go down
Captain stufuzzycat
Sergeant
Sergeant
Captain stufuzzycat

Shipbuilding tools Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shipbuilding tools   Shipbuilding tools Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2012 7:47 pm

I've never gotten a server tick error. I hope it stays that way.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

Shipbuilding tools Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shipbuilding tools   Shipbuilding tools Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2012 7:48 pm

Yeah. Since MC SSP suddenly became a quasi SMP server, MCEdit can pretty much confuse the engine and make it crash when you load the edited world in some instances.

Now, I don't know the exact nature of the relationship, but I've only gotten server tick errors after using MCEdit on a shipbuilding world.
Back to top Go down
Captain stufuzzycat
Sergeant
Sergeant
Captain stufuzzycat

Shipbuilding tools Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shipbuilding tools   Shipbuilding tools Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2012 7:53 pm

I bet I haven't gotten one because I've only opened up 1.2.5 worlds.
Back to top Go down
_Shadowcat_
Infantry
Infantry
_Shadowcat_

Shipbuilding tools Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shipbuilding tools   Shipbuilding tools Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2012 8:14 pm

One day my idea of a universal mod loader/installer/manager/maker will come true, Then I can ignore all lower level MC players.
Back to top Go down
Captain stufuzzycat
Sergeant
Sergeant
Captain stufuzzycat

Shipbuilding tools Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shipbuilding tools   Shipbuilding tools Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2012 9:49 pm

The MagicLauncher does all of those things except for actually making mods. You should take a look at it. I use it for most of my modding.
Back to top Go down
blockman42
Sergeant
Sergeant
blockman42

Shipbuilding tools Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shipbuilding tools   Shipbuilding tools Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2012 9:55 pm

all I use is the default and World Edit, but most of my work is done by hand. World Edit is really only for basic shapes and ships. The more detail, the more "by hand" work.
Back to top Go down
Captain stufuzzycat
Sergeant
Sergeant
Captain stufuzzycat

Shipbuilding tools Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shipbuilding tools   Shipbuilding tools Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2012 10:07 pm

Yeah, pretty much. I usually use WorldEdit/MCEdit for the basic hull bottom, and do most of the rest by hand.
Back to top Go down
_Shadowcat_
Infantry
Infantry
_Shadowcat_

Shipbuilding tools Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shipbuilding tools   Shipbuilding tools Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2012 10:53 pm

Ah but astetics are really pointless, The most combat effective ship would be nothing more then a large sphere or cube most likely a sphere since it provides the least surface area to attack while the most room inside. And the general idea of placing a bridge ONTOP of a ship would make most strategists cry.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Shipbuilding tools Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shipbuilding tools   Shipbuilding tools Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shipbuilding tools
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Futurecraft Forums :: General Area :: Ship Design Area-
Jump to: