Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Planetary Annihilation

Go down 
+6
The Schmetterling
Grand Imperial Thunder
Joel
Soul of Jack
Tiel+
Hierarch Fenway
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Hierarch Fenway
DEV
DEV
Hierarch Fenway

Planetary Annihilation Empty
PostSubject: Planetary Annihilation   Planetary Annihilation Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 8:51 pm

In a nutshell- massive robot battles, gas giants, metal planets with death-star capabilities, gas giants, lava planets, water planets, and Galactic War.

Oh wait. Kinetic Bombardment with Asteroids powered by Fusion Engine Systems.

Look at it!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/659943965/planetary-annihilation-a-next-generation-rts/
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Planetary Annihilation   Planetary Annihilation Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 9:01 pm

YES.
Back to top Go down
Soul of Jack
Infantry
Infantry
Soul of Jack

PostSubject: Re: Planetary Annihilation   Planetary Annihilation Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 9:14 pm

I've been keeping a eye on it.Great game on paper...
Back to top Go down
Joel
Marine
Marine
Joel

PostSubject: Re: Planetary Annihilation   Planetary Annihilation Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 9:48 pm

Looks neat.
Back to top Go down
Grand Imperial Thunder
Infantry
Infantry

PostSubject: Re: Planetary Annihilation   Planetary Annihilation Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 11:42 pm

I wish I had money to throw at it. Oh well, they are well over their goal anyways.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Planetary Annihilation   Planetary Annihilation Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 11:44 pm

No, just a few more grand and multiplayer space battles Very Happy

Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: Planetary Annihilation   Planetary Annihilation Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2012 3:40 am

I like the fluid motion of the animations. Cartoony, but awesome.
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

PostSubject: Re: Planetary Annihilation   Planetary Annihilation Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2012 11:34 am

I saw it on kickstarter. Way better than yogverse, that's for sure.
Back to top Go down
Avenger_7
Sergeant
Sergeant
Avenger_7

PostSubject: Re: Planetary Annihilation   Planetary Annihilation Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2012 1:44 pm

We should make a kickstarter page.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Planetary Annihilation   Planetary Annihilation Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2012 1:52 pm

1) This is a mod for minecraft, development requires time but not money. Now, the only reason FC could possibly need money is to buy fr0st out of his day job, in which case Kickstarter probably could never accrue enough.
2) There has been no visible progress. Note that PA has a full length trailer, presumably with actual ingame footage.
3) Who would donate? Sure, there are a ton of followers, but some of them can't even get Minecraft! A majority of them can't even be bothered to post regularly on the forums, nevermind contribute actual currency.

For these reasons I think FC would be laughed out of Kickstarter. The only things that need money are keeping the game up by renting a dedicated server, which could be easily rectified by either donations or some form of premium tier with priority access to the game.
Back to top Go down
Keon
Keon

PostSubject: Re: Planetary Annihilation   Planetary Annihilation Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2012 4:22 pm

MISLEADING BIRD wrote:
1) This is a mod for minecraft, development requires time but not money. Now, the only reason FC could possibly need money is to buy fr0st out of his day job, in which case Kickstarter probably could never accrue enough.
2) There has been no visible progress. Note that PA has a full length trailer, presumably with actual ingame footage.
3) Who would donate? Sure, there are a ton of followers, but some of them can't even get Minecraft! A majority of them can't even be bothered to post regularly on the forums, nevermind contribute actual currency.

For these reasons I think FC would be laughed out of Kickstarter. The only things that need money are keeping the game up by renting a dedicated server, which could be easily rectified by either donations or some form of premium tier with priority access to the game.

PA's trailer, and much of other games, is just concept art. That's just a 3d animation.

Anyhow, we don't want kickstarter.
Back to top Go down
Ivan2006
General
General
Ivan2006

PostSubject: Re: Planetary Annihilation   Planetary Annihilation Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 12:59 am

Keon wrote:
MISLEADING BIRD wrote:

PA's trailer, and much of other games, is just concept art. That's just a 3d animation.

Anyhow, we don't want kickstarter.
+1
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Planetary Annihilation   Planetary Annihilation Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 1:05 am

My point stands. That's one more 3d animation than Futurecraft has.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: Planetary Annihilation   Planetary Annihilation Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 2:28 am

Yeah, we need to have a talk with our 3D animator oh wait.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Planetary Annihilation   Planetary Annihilation Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 2:34 am

I was working on one, you know. It just never came to fruition..
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: Planetary Annihilation   Planetary Annihilation Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 3:06 am

MISLEADING BIRD wrote:
I was working on one, you know. It just never came to fruition..

Actually I completely forgot that you were doing anything with it at all. At some point during the project after the engine phase, we really need to hunt down a real modeler (i.e. someone with experience making game resources in blender or 3ds max type tools).
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Planetary Annihilation   Planetary Annihilation Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 3:11 am

Why would you need someone with exp in those modelling suites? Techne seems much more feasible for minecraft modding..
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: Planetary Annihilation   Planetary Annihilation Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 3:44 am

Techne perpetuates the problem that minecraft has where models are generated procedurally in code out of basic OpenGL shapes. The reason it was like that from the beginning is because Notch can't 3d model, so he did it by hand with what he knew. But doing it this way limits the types of shapes you can make and how they are animated, and converting the model to java code makes it more difficult to store in a database, get animation from external non-java based scripts, or to send models over the network (which will come into play with the live content downloading feature that will allow new objects to be downloaded or updated in realtime as part of, say, server events or custom content.)

In other words, Techne is a crutch and I don't want us to rely on it more than we have to.

Last edited by fr0stbyte124 on Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:56 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Planetary Annihilation   Planetary Annihilation Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 3:51 am

But getting .obj files in Minecraft either requires a massive headache or TurboModelThingy...?
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Planetary Annihilation   Planetary Annihilation Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 4:00 am

I'm just saying that seems rather tedious, is all. Especially seeing as the modeler would only be working with blocks anyway.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: Planetary Annihilation   Planetary Annihilation Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 4:01 am

.obj files are text based and easy to parse. Plus, the only ones who needs to worry about that particular headache are the engine programmers (man it feels nice to use the plural Smile )

The format I think we should be using is an NBT-style list of vertex points with UV coordinates (or possibly a tweaked projection space which will work better for 90 degree angles), another for the skeleton points, and higher level meta-data to determine which sets of vertices attach to which skeleton joints, a texture atlas (or multiple if shaders are used), and so-on for everything that might be needed. We could even have formats for simplified versions of more-minecraft style models with truncated coordinates or even shapes like vanilla minecraft. The point is we don't have to use them if we don't accomplish what we need.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Planetary Annihilation   Planetary Annihilation Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Planetary Annihilation
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Futurecraft Forums :: General Area :: Off-Topic Area-
Jump to: