Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

RP Tech Tree Ideas

Go down 
+7
Caramell
Last_Jedi_Standing
Soul of Jack
ACH0225
Tiel+
hyperlite
Avenger_7
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Who has the best tech tree?
Mine (OP)
RP Tech Tree Ideas - Page 2 Vote_lcap36%RP Tech Tree Ideas - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 36% [ 5 ]
Other (state and it here and I'll add it into the poll)
RP Tech Tree Ideas - Page 2 Vote_lcap7%RP Tech Tree Ideas - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 7% [ 1 ]
I EAT KITTENS
RP Tech Tree Ideas - Page 2 Vote_lcap57%RP Tech Tree Ideas - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 57% [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 14

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
Avenger_7
Sergeant
Sergeant
Avenger_7

RP Tech Tree Ideas - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: RP Tech Tree Ideas   RP Tech Tree Ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2012 12:18 pm

It wasn't me Razz
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PostSubject: Re: RP Tech Tree Ideas   RP Tech Tree Ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2012 12:24 pm

I changed the poll.
Back to top Go down
Ivan2006
General
General
Ivan2006

PostSubject: Re: RP Tech Tree Ideas   RP Tech Tree Ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2012 1:25 pm

As far as I can tell, everyone agrees with this tech tree.
There´s just one thing: the whole system seems to be very value based.
The only problem is: we don´t have any values for our ship classes and/or devices.
That tech tree would lead to everyone having to create values for their stuff, that resulting in the need to univy costs and thus we also need resource collection stats...
And then we would need calculators for the battles to make sure that actually the one with more power wins and not the better talker. (those programs could easily be programmed by some dev with no work)

Basically the usage of this tech tree would turn our whole rpg into something like Cybernations.
Back to top Go down
Avenger_7
Sergeant
Sergeant
Avenger_7

PostSubject: Re: RP Tech Tree Ideas   RP Tech Tree Ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2012 2:42 pm

Surp. Grm. Ivan Kintobor wrote:
As far as I can tell, everyone agrees with this tech tree.
There´s just one thing: the whole system seems to be very value based.
The only problem is: we don´t have any values for our ship classes and/or devices.
That tech tree would lead to everyone having to create values for their stuff, that resulting in the need to univy costs and thus we also need resource collection stats...
And then we would need calculators for the battles to make sure that actually the one with more power wins and not the better talker. (those programs could easily be programmed by some dev with no work.
Any tech tree needs to be value based. It's the only way it'll work in a written RP.
My objectives in making this one were to:

A) Eliminate chance, GM bias (It WILL happen with dice etc involved) and a TON of whining from research,
B) Provide a comprehensive structure that isn't overly complicated,
C) Give everyone a starting point while still allowing for unique faction capabilities.

I think those were accomplished nicely, although I will admit the non-weapon trees could use a little more depth. About the only thing it doesn't cover is the difference between an 'Elite' fleet and a 'Horde' fleet, but that can be settled with a properly implemented tiering system for each level of research.

Edit: 7 of you eat kittens? YOU SICK BASTARDS!

Last edited by Avenger_7 on Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ivan2006
General
General
Ivan2006

PostSubject: Re: RP Tech Tree Ideas   RP Tech Tree Ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2012 2:50 pm

I fully agree with avengers latest post here.
so, any unoccupied Devs who would code a "small" programm to calculate battle, losses and different ships?

Also, really, 7 of you eat kittens?
I mean-first hatchlings, now kittens I thought this would be a civilized environment
Back to top Go down
Shiva
Admin
Shiva

PostSubject: Re: RP Tech Tree Ideas   RP Tech Tree Ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2012 4:49 pm

Rest assured, I've already provided for your ship sizes and even research efficiencies, as well as resource collection, weapons, propulsion, armor... I'll make this as easy as possible. Perhaps the small program would require you to put in your charactername before it makes the research roll, and simply shows me or whoever the research GM ends up being what your roll was, so that there's no cheating. You know what your roll is, and where it is in, and I do, but no one else.
Back to top Go down
https://futurecraft.forumotion.com
Captain stufuzzycat
Sergeant
Sergeant
Captain stufuzzycat

PostSubject: Re: RP Tech Tree Ideas   RP Tech Tree Ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2012 5:17 pm

I officially declare war on anyone who ate or is eating a kitten.
Back to top Go down
Avenger_7
Sergeant
Sergeant
Avenger_7

PostSubject: Re: RP Tech Tree Ideas   RP Tech Tree Ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2012 5:45 pm

Shiva wrote:
Rest assured, I've already provided for your ship sizes and even research efficiencies, as well as resource collection, weapons, propulsion, armor... I'll make this as easy as possible. Perhaps the small program would require you to put in your charactername before it makes the research roll, and simply shows me or whoever the research GM ends up being what your roll was, so that there's no cheating. You know what your roll is, and where it is in, and I do, but no one else.

I oppose any chance based system. It creates HUGE imbalances where some people (like I do while playing 40k) end up consistently getting boned. It sucks. I've had entire squads of Terminators taken out by an equal number of Guardsmen. It breaks games. That's why I wanted to do it points based; that way, you get an even playing field.
Back to top Go down
Shiva
Admin
Shiva

PostSubject: Re: RP Tech Tree Ideas   RP Tech Tree Ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2012 7:10 pm

Chance DETERMINES your point-rate. You have a flat, base "here's how many you get per-day anyway" point-rate, determined by your Research Efficiency level (researchable upgrades to your tech-making capability; they're substantial, but focusing on being super-researchers can leave you absolutely boned later on in the game to the person who went into economy in a big way, or weapons... and vice versa), and the dice roll determines whether or not you, say, double your research points that you can spend. Or even triple. The GM may throw a hammer into the works and do a random event like the ones in MoOI,II and III where you have a research accident that sets you back. (an idea)

I've also demolished an entire Guards brigade with two Terminators. It's all about the luck of the draw.
Back to top Go down
https://futurecraft.forumotion.com
Captain stufuzzycat
Sergeant
Sergeant
Captain stufuzzycat

PostSubject: Re: RP Tech Tree Ideas   RP Tech Tree Ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2012 8:44 pm

Yeah, thats one of my least favorite parts of the 40K rules, because in one game I have had my Lychguard wipe out my bro's Sanguinary Guard, and in the next get completely annihilated without even striking.
Back to top Go down
Avenger_7
Sergeant
Sergeant
Avenger_7

PostSubject: Re: RP Tech Tree Ideas   RP Tech Tree Ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2012 11:23 pm

Shiva wrote:
Chance DETERMINES your point-rate. You have a flat, base "here's how many you get per-day anyway" point-rate, determined by your Research Efficiency level (researchable upgrades to your tech-making capability; they're substantial, but focusing on being super-researchers can leave you absolutely boned later on in the game to the person who went into economy in a big way, or weapons... and vice versa), and the dice roll determines whether or not you, say, double your research points that you can spend. Or even triple. The GM may throw a hammer into the works and do a random event like the ones in MoOI,II and III where you have a research accident that sets you back. (an idea)

I've also demolished an entire Guards brigade with two Terminators. It's all about the luck of the draw.

Paladins do that regularly Razz

In any case, I still oppose a system that can give one faction a ridiculous lead or set another behind through no fault of their own.
Back to top Go down
Ivan2006
General
General
Ivan2006

PostSubject: Re: RP Tech Tree Ideas   RP Tech Tree Ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 12:57 pm

How about the following:
there are random chances, but the randomness is limited to a point so noone gets an insane ammount of advance.
Back to top Go down
Chapter Master Addeptis
Recruit
Recruit
Chapter Master Addeptis

Location : Probably being eaten bye tyranids on a unknown planet.

PostSubject: Re: RP Tech Tree Ideas   RP Tech Tree Ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 5:08 pm

Captain stufuzzycat wrote:
Yeah, thats one of my least favorite parts of the 40K rules, because in one game I have had my Lychguard wipe out my bro's Sanguinary Guard, and in the next get completely annihilated without even striking.

I no how u feel :c I had my entire terminators squad killed bye a ork boy squad once ON 1 ROLL 45 hits and 20 got through ugh there goes 200 pints down the drain:L Then aging that why i switched to grey knights...2 wound terminators Very Happy op as hell XD
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RP Tech Tree Ideas   RP Tech Tree Ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

RP Tech Tree Ideas
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2