Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

[Poll] Tech Tree?

Go down 
+6
Tiel+
Ivan2006
Chapter Master Addeptis
Joel
Delta
Shiva
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Should we add in a tech tree?
Yes
[Poll] Tech Tree? Vote_lcap69%[Poll] Tech Tree? Vote_rcap
 69% [ 11 ]
No
[Poll] Tech Tree? Vote_lcap31%[Poll] Tech Tree? Vote_rcap
 31% [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 16

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
Shiva
Admin
Shiva

[Poll] Tech Tree? Empty
PostSubject: [Poll] Tech Tree?   [Poll] Tech Tree? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 12:17 am

Since this is far more popular than I thought it would be...

What do you guys think about the creation of a tech-tree? Specifically, a list of technologies that, once a day, you submit the area you'd like some research done in your empire for (basically, I roll a die and the higher your number the more progress you make toward a breakthrough that day, which comes with all sorts of goodies like being able to say that your ship really does have a WTFpowerful weapon system on it, or can warp itself to any point in space instantaneously... that sort of thing)? It'd require me coming up with a list or spreadsheet of techs and how many "points" or whatever of research (or however many die-rolls above a particular sum it would take) to reach them, but I'd be willing to do it, if only to help nail down the inevitable "nuh uh, my supercannon is bigger than your supercannon!" fights wars would turn into... It'd let your adversaries know precisely what kind of a mess they're getting into and vice versa. Everyone would start out with some basic stuff, and then you could branch out as you see fit (within reason) and I'd keep adding in new techs as you advanced down the tree.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
https://futurecraft.forumotion.com
Delta
Sergeant
Sergeant
Delta

[Poll] Tech Tree? Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Poll] Tech Tree?   [Poll] Tech Tree? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 12:18 am

+1 do want!
Back to top Go down
http://arsln100.forumotion.com
Joel
Marine
Marine
Joel

[Poll] Tech Tree? Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Poll] Tech Tree?   [Poll] Tech Tree? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 12:26 am

Do want.
Back to top Go down
Chapter Master Addeptis
Recruit
Recruit
Chapter Master Addeptis

Location : Probably being eaten bye tyranids on a unknown planet.

[Poll] Tech Tree? Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Poll] Tech Tree?   [Poll] Tech Tree? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 1:16 am

Ehh I say no. Because that means we all start out at a base which means all my nice Adeptus Mechanicus Tech goes out the window :L Puls i have Dark age tech witch is VERY VERY RARE in the current warhammer40k universe.
Back to top Go down
Delta
Sergeant
Sergeant
Delta

[Poll] Tech Tree? Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Poll] Tech Tree?   [Poll] Tech Tree? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 1:28 am

Chapter Master Addeptis wrote:
Ehh I say no. Because that means we all start out at a base which means all my nice Adeptus Mechanicus Tech goes out the window :L Puls i have Dark age tech witch is VERY VERY RARE in the current warhammer40k universe.

then work your way to it.

Now i think id would be cool if we started where every player started when the start in FC I.E. woodpunching perhaps with a small group with you to help progress through to current tech.
Back to top Go down

[Poll] Tech Tree? Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Poll] Tech Tree?   [Poll] Tech Tree? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 2:33 am

What about my C.T.I who are based on being the most advanced faction spending decades with temporal technology.

How about we get to keep 2 technology's.
Back to top Go down
Ivan2006
General
General
Ivan2006

[Poll] Tech Tree? Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Poll] Tech Tree?   [Poll] Tech Tree? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 5:32 am

caltech117 wrote:
What about my C.T.I who are based on being the most advanced faction spending decades with temporal technology.

How about we get to keep 2 technology's.

I would like to improve it even further:
Everyone gets starting technology based on their current role in the RPG.
I think this would be a very interesting way in keeping OP from happening.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Tiel+

[Poll] Tech Tree? Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Poll] Tech Tree?   [Poll] Tech Tree? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 7:09 am

Shiva wrote:
basically, I roll a die...

No thanks.
Back to top Go down
Shiva
Admin
Shiva

[Poll] Tech Tree? Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Poll] Tech Tree?   [Poll] Tech Tree? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 9:09 am

Fili wrote:
Shiva wrote:
basically, I roll a die...

No thanks.

That's the way every tree in every RP I know of works. I'll, perhaps, look for other ways.

I think that what I'll do as to people's pre-done specializations (like my propulsion and weapons techs on the military side and my civilian specializations) is simply start you a place or two down the tech tree in that particular field, with a maximum of two military specializations and two-three civilian specializations.
Back to top Go down
Captain stufuzzycat
Sergeant
Sergeant
Captain stufuzzycat

[Poll] Tech Tree? Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Poll] Tech Tree?   [Poll] Tech Tree? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 9:51 am

I would say it should be more of an extension of what Minecraft's current "tech tree" is, where you can make one thing, which lets you make another, and so on.
Back to top Go down
Shiva
Admin
Shiva

[Poll] Tech Tree? Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Poll] Tech Tree?   [Poll] Tech Tree? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 9:58 am

Here's an example that I scared up in a hurry...

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Chapter Master Addeptis
Recruit
Recruit
Chapter Master Addeptis

[Poll] Tech Tree? Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Poll] Tech Tree?   [Poll] Tech Tree? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 10:29 am

arsln100 wrote:

Now i think id would be cool if we started where every player started when the start in FC I.E. woodpunching perhaps with a small group with you to help progress through to current tech.

You realize if you strip away all my tech i basically become as powerful as a world nation today which is to say not very because pre dark age tech is advanced as tech from our time line in real life, Basically my space marines wouldn't work because they hadn't even been dreamed up yet and space flight would be very very outdated bye comparison other factions ships it would be a re-pete of the space battles in halo and i was the U.N.S.C. (:c).More or less i be wiped out winthin my first 1-2battles. And space marines can not even research tec its consider heresy unless i am in the dark age but that has been passed for 10,000 years. U would be affectingly killing me off if you do this :L
Back to top Go down
Shiva
Admin
Shiva

[Poll] Tech Tree? Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Poll] Tech Tree?   [Poll] Tech Tree? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 10:35 am

arsln100 wrote:

You realize if you strip away all my tech i basically become as powerful as a world nation today which is to say not very because pre dark age tech is advanced as tech from our time line in real life, Basically my space marines wouldn't work because they hadn't even been dreamed up yet and space flight would be very very outdated bye comparison other factions ships it would be a re-pete of the space battles in halo and i was the U.N.S.C. (:c).More or less i be wiped out winthin my first 1-2battles. And space marines can not even research tec its consider heresy unless i am in the dark age but that has been passed for 10,000 years. U would be affectingly killing me off if you do this :L

First - capitalization, punctuation and grammar are your friends.

What you're missing is that EVERYONE would be getting a bump-down. Not just you.

Last edited by Shiva on Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Delta
Sergeant
Sergeant
Delta

[Poll] Tech Tree? Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Poll] Tech Tree?   [Poll] Tech Tree? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 10:38 am

Spoiler:

Don't want a die? here is a basic program to output a number between 1 and 10(with decimals(you should ignore those)).
Back to top Go down
Ivan2006
General
General
Ivan2006

[Poll] Tech Tree? Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Poll] Tech Tree?   [Poll] Tech Tree? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 12:36 pm

Well, since it really is obvious that there will be a tech tree, we just need a list of technologic branches and results.
Oh, and another Idea for the tech tree:
I think every nation should be able to have- in addition to the normal tech tree- one or two signature technologies (depending on how advanced that tech is)
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

[Poll] Tech Tree? Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Poll] Tech Tree?   [Poll] Tech Tree? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 1:47 pm

And, I'm really sort of against a tech tree here in the roleplay subforum anyway. It would just make things too complex than they need to be.

What'd be nice is a dice rolling PHPbb plugin which randomly rolls once and stays like that.
Back to top Go down
Ivan2006
General
General
Ivan2006

[Poll] Tech Tree? Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Poll] Tech Tree?   [Poll] Tech Tree? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 2:28 pm

Jack Root wrote:
Fili wrote:
And, I'm really sort of against a tech tree here in the roleplay subforum anyway. It would just make things too complex than they need to be, plus, I'll be frank, I don't trust Shiva being unbiased as far as handing out tech is concerned.

What'd be nice is a dice rolling PHPbb plugin which randomly rolls once and stays like that, so people can resolve battles without resorting to an epeen contest *cough* Avenger_7 and Shiva *cough*
Yea that would be nice and fair but who is gonna do that?

We would need someone who is active on the forum, not occupied with too much work, can be trusted and isnĀ“t part of the roleplay.
That would be a quite low number of contestants...
Back to top Go down
Dux Tell31
Recruit
Recruit
Dux Tell31

[Poll] Tech Tree? Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Poll] Tech Tree?   [Poll] Tech Tree? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 2:51 pm

Surp. Grm. Ivan Kintobor wrote:
Jack Root wrote:
Fili wrote:
And, I'm really sort of against a tech tree here in the roleplay subforum anyway. It would just make things too complex than they need to be, plus, I'll be frank, I don't trust Shiva being unbiased as far as handing out tech is concerned.

What'd be nice is a dice rolling PHPbb plugin which randomly rolls once and stays like that, so people can resolve battles without resorting to an epeen contest *cough* Avenger_7 and Shiva *cough*
Yea that would be nice and fair but who is gonna do that?

We would need someone who is active on the forum, not occupied with too much work, can be trusted and isnĀ“t part of the roleplay.
That would be a quite low number of contestants...

You mean like me? Aside from the schoolwork part, but it wouldn't take that long right?
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

[Poll] Tech Tree? Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Poll] Tech Tree?   [Poll] Tech Tree? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 6:21 pm

Major thanks to the moderator that deleted my post. That could not have ended well tongue
Back to top Go down
Shiva
Admin
Shiva

[Poll] Tech Tree? Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Poll] Tech Tree?   [Poll] Tech Tree? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 6:23 pm

Iv121 wrote:
Iv's counter edit:

Please do me a favor and if it is my tech tree discuss it on me tech tree thread. I worked hard on it and I do not like when you steal my credit and edit needlessly my posts. It didn't contain anything that could hurt people but expressed the fact I wasn't pleased to see you take discussion out of that thread. It could benefit this bump and grow into something bigger and better if you let it and if you invest in it as I am planning to do.

Please do me a favor and not put your business into my thread. Please do me a favor and respect the Admin. Please, do me a favor and not accuse me of stealing credit when credit does not belong to you. Please, do me a favor and not yell at me in PM. Please, do me a favor and not assume you know jack about the mod. This has nothing to do with the mod. This tech tree is for the ROLEPLAY ONLY.

Please, do me a favor and make my day.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

[Poll] Tech Tree? Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Poll] Tech Tree?   [Poll] Tech Tree? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 6:25 pm

Shiva wrote:
Iv121 wrote:
Iv's counter edit:

Please do me a favor and if it is my tech tree discuss it on me tech tree thread. I worked hard on it and I do not like when you steal my credit and edit needlessly my posts. It didn't contain anything that could hurt people but expressed the fact I wasn't pleased to see you take discussion out of that thread. It could benefit this bump and grow into something bigger and better if you let it and if you invest in it as I am planning to do.

Please do me a favor and not put your business into my thread. Please do me a favor and respect the Admin. Please, do me a favor and not accuse me of stealing credit when credit does not belong to you. Please, do me a favor and not yell at me in PM. Please, do me a favor and not assume you know jack about the mod. This has nothing to do with the mod. This tech tree is for the ROLEPLAY ONLY.

Please, do me a favor and don't act like an asshat.

He worded his post kindly and politely, there's no reason you shouldn't do any less in return.
Back to top Go down
Shiva
Admin
Shiva

[Poll] Tech Tree? Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Poll] Tech Tree?   [Poll] Tech Tree? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 6:28 pm

Fili wrote:
Shiva wrote:
Iv121 wrote:
Iv's counter edit:

Please, do me a favor and don't act like an asshat.

He worded his post kindly and politely, there's no reason you shouldn't do any less in return.

Read the bolded, highlighted portion.
Back to top Go down
Chapter Master Addeptis
Recruit
Recruit
Chapter Master Addeptis

[Poll] Tech Tree? Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Poll] Tech Tree?   [Poll] Tech Tree? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 7:05 pm

No you don't get it...ugh In warhammr40k 1.Only techprist can make tech(if they even have the books to)And there has been no advancement in warhammer40k tech for 10,000 years.2.that means i either have all my tech or only the really shity outdated stuff that a tie fighter could shoot down :L (either pre-hersy stuff,Dark age, or after hersy tech which is better then pre-hersy but its not better then Dark Age.)
Back to top Go down
Delta
Sergeant
Sergeant
Delta

[Poll] Tech Tree? Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Poll] Tech Tree?   [Poll] Tech Tree? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 7:07 pm

I don't think any of us are going by any lore except maybe Fabricator General Norse.
Back to top Go down
ACH0225
General
General
ACH0225

[Poll] Tech Tree? Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Poll] Tech Tree?   [Poll] Tech Tree? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 7:21 pm

Nope, but I can imagine a Strigiforme tech tree, with the final thing being a Yttrium portal.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

[Poll] Tech Tree? Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Poll] Tech Tree?   [Poll] Tech Tree? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

[Poll] Tech Tree?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next