Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Share | 

Danice123's Dev. Log

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
tonyri

PostSubject: Re: Danice123's Dev. Log   Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:21 pm

Dr. Mackeroth wrote:
tonyri wrote:
So simply put, if I take like 12 engine blocks and clump them all together, they would act as a group to be one big engine. It would only need one fuel input and one control wire leading from a computer. (or more than one fuel pipe for larger capacity engines.) If I don't connect them together, they should act individually. I think it would be cool for them to change texture each time you added a block so that you only see the corresponding outside face, in case you wanted an engine that wasn't perfectly rectangular.

Also, in addition to power wire and redstone wire, we will need computer wire to send commands from a computer to devices. It could also work as wireless, but the wireless would feed into a wire, not a device, plus, the wireless transmitters and receivers would need a very small amount of power to work, plus would have a small delay.

Yes Tonyri, everything you said there is exactly what I was
planning. It just seems that not everyone agrees. Well, everything I’m planning
except for the second half of the first paragraph, with the textures and such.
That part makes no sense. When you stick two engine blocks together, they still
look like individual blocks, but are controlled as one. Also, I have decided that it would be best to add data wires, as Redstone, I can see now, would be silly in those situations.
That would only work if your clump was rectangular like two blocks are. If I made a 3x3x4 engine, and took off the corners, the textures would look pretty silly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV

PostSubject: Re: Danice123's Dev. Log   Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:44 pm

tonyri wrote:
Dr. Mackeroth wrote:
tonyri wrote:
So simply put, if I take like 12 engine blocks and clump them all together, they would act as a group to be one big engine. It would only need one fuel input and one control wire leading from a computer. (or more than one fuel pipe for larger capacity engines.) If I don't connect them together, they should act individually. I think it would be cool for them to change texture each time you added a block so that you only see the corresponding outside face, in case you wanted an engine that wasn't perfectly rectangular.

Also, in addition to power wire and redstone wire, we will need computer wire to send commands from a computer to devices. It could also work as wireless, but the wireless would feed into a wire, not a device, plus, the wireless transmitters and receivers would need a very small amount of power to work, plus would have a small delay.

Yes Tonyri, everything you said there is exactly what I was
planning. It just seems that not everyone agrees. Well, everything I’m planning
except for the second half of the first paragraph, with the textures and such.
That part makes no sense. When you stick two engine blocks together, they still
look like individual blocks, but are controlled as one. Also, I have decided that it would be best to add data wires, as Redstone, I can see now, would be silly in those situations.
That would only work if your clump was rectangular like two blocks are. If I made a 3x3x4 engine, and took off the corners, the textures would look pretty silly.

Right! You're saying having different textures for the
different sides of the engine blocks is a good idea. Yes, of course we will. It
will be like placing a bed, piston, repeater or furnace: there will be a
specific orientation depending on where you were when you placed the block. Probably
the actual "engine" will be on the far side of the block to you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator

PostSubject: Re: Danice123's Dev. Log   Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:52 pm

Here, let me explain my idea another way.

These are the components for a rocket launcher in Borderlands.

There are over 17 million different possible weapons in that game. The reason for this is that everything from their name and stats to their appearance is procedurally generated. I'm suggesting we do something similar. You construct the engine on-site with various components you crafted to get the stats and abilities you want, and then you stick them together. Say you had two different superconductor coils for a cruiser engine. They would both attach to the engine chassis in the same place, but one might be a completely different shape and size from the other.

Or imagine Flan's airplane mod but instead of a handful of planes, you can mix and match their parts and make thousands of unique planes. It would take a lot of modeling but I think just that by itself would make us the coolest minecraft mod.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV

PostSubject: Re: Danice123's Dev. Log   Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:43 pm

fr0stbyte124 wrote:
Here, let me explain my idea another way.

These are the components for a rocket launcher in Borderlands.

There are over 17 million different possible weapons in that game. The reason for this is that everything from their name and stats to their appearance is procedurally generated. I'm suggesting we do something similar. You construct the engine on-site with various components you crafted to get the stats and abilities you want, and then you stick them together. Say you had two different superconductor coils for a cruiser engine. They would both attach to the engine chassis in the same place, but one might be a completely different shape and size from the other.

Or imagine Flan's airplane mod but instead of a handful of planes, you can mix and match their parts and make thousands of unique planes. It would take a lot of modeling but I think just that by itself would make us the coolest minecraft mod.

Yes, I reckon that customisation is a good idea; but only
for fighters, as we are having issues for their customization, and not for engines.
How we view engines is completely different: you see them as a complex system
made up of various parts that requires a lot of engineering to complete. I see
them as just a group of blocks that you power and control, with no extra parts
needed.

I'm mostly fine with whatever engines turn out being like, so long as I can
have the engines on my ship look similar to Glowstone on the outside.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator

PostSubject: Re: Danice123's Dev. Log   Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:29 pm

Dr. Mackeroth wrote:

Yes, I reckon that customisation is a good idea; but only
for fighters, as we are having issues for their customization, and not for engines.
How we view engines is completely different: you see them as a complex system
made up of various parts that requires a lot of engineering to complete. I see
them as just a group of blocks that you power and control, with no extra parts
needed.

Oh, this wasn't a priority or anything. It's just an idea I had for when we get past the main part of the mod and want to start adding customization to ships and skills. It would reward players who want to play the role of manufacturer (which seems terribly relevant to a game like Minecraft). Eventually I'd like to have all sorts of classes you can spec in for things like ship command, technician, weapons, science and manufacturing, mining, each of which will grant you special abilities or bonuses. For instance the miner will gain the ability to see ore which looks like ordinary stone to anyone else. Ship command will let you use NPCs to automate things like repair or guns or even piloting.

In any case I won't be working on any of this until after FutureCraft is released so it's a moot point.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV

PostSubject: Re: Danice123's Dev. Log   Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:01 pm

Interesting thoughts. It might be worth investigating later in development.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shiva
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Danice123's Dev. Log   Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:34 pm

I'd like a balance between modular and set-in-stone. If I put a larger number of acceleration coils on my spinally-mounted railgun, for example, I expect that shell to exit either faster or with more force (can't see how you'd code that, but it's only an example.)

However, I don't want to have to screw around too much with "what arrangement works best?" like I have to with nuke reactors in IC2.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://futurecraft.forumotion.com
Danice123
DEV
DEV

PostSubject: Re: Danice123's Dev. Log   Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:02 pm

Ok two questions about this power system.

Do we want wire to decay power? And if yes by how much?

And the combining of wires. With redstone it didn't matter, because there were only two values, but with this, when combined what should be the result. My personal suggestion is that the higher voltage trumps all other voltages.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://wbcentral.com
tonyri

PostSubject: Re: Danice123's Dev. Log   Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:04 pm

Shiva wrote:
I'd like a balance between modular and set-in-stone. If I put a larger number of acceleration coils on my spinally-mounted railgun, for example, I expect that shell to exit either faster or with more force (can't see how you'd code that, but it's only an example.)

However, I don't want to have to screw around too much with "what arrangement works best?" like I have to with nuke reactors in IC2.
I don't think it would be too hard. You just look for the buisness end of the railgun block, and then add coil blocks in sequence after that. It should tell how many you have (and if they are being powered, electro-magnetism isn't free), then adjust power from there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator

PostSubject: Re: Danice123's Dev. Log   Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:28 pm

Power decay seems unrealistic with normal distances; I say we just ignore it. Put a limit on uninterupted wire length to ensure a reasonable search time (it can be pretty long, though), but I don't think the length should affect the power output.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ectrimble20
DEV
DEV

PostSubject: Re: Danice123's Dev. Log   Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:34 pm

fr0stbyte124 wrote:
Power decay seems unrealistic with normal distances; I say we just ignore it. Put a limit on uninterupted wire length to ensure a reasonable search time (it can be pretty long, though), but I don't think the length should affect the power output.

I agree. Even with modern technology, anything such as 120v current can go quite a ways before you have to run it through a transformer and kick it back up. Now if we were building a 12volt system, ok, yeah, maybe it'd have to have a decay on it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV

PostSubject: Re: Danice123's Dev. Log   Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:13 am

ectrimble20 wrote:
fr0stbyte124 wrote:

I agree. Even with modern technology, anything such as 120v current can go quite a ways before you have to run it through a transformer and kick it back up. Now if we were building a 12volt system, ok, yeah, maybe it'd have to have a decay on it.

Electricity
is the one part of science that I didn't like. You should have seen me when we
were doing an introduction to atoms. When I started going on about Ununoctium
or Muons, no one had any idea what I was talking about. Come to think of it, neither
did I, I just liked the effect of the stunted classroom as I mentioned something
that I've known for....

Okay, I'm going to stop now, before I start to sound too arrogant.

Too late. Oh well, doesn't matter.

I hope.

Why am I still writing this?

I don't know, why am I still writing this?

I should probably stop.

That's a good idea. End transmission.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ectrimble20
DEV
DEV

PostSubject: Re: Danice123's Dev. Log   Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:24 pm

haha Doc. I just about fell out of my chair there.

But yes, I'm quite familiar with Electricity, I took a course on Hybrid Vehicle Technology when I worked for Ford (yes, in my past life I was a mechanic), so I had to understand the differences between standard 12 volt systems and the 120 volt crap they put in hybrids. You know, we had a special tool to knock someone off an electrical line if they touched the 120 volt current (it would contract your muscles making it impossible to release or move), I believe it was a 8 ft long piece of PVC pipe lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Danice123
DEV
DEV

PostSubject: Re: Danice123's Dev. Log   Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:25 pm

Ok well the plan is that uninterrupted wire length will be the same as redstone's length but causes no change in power output. And higher voltage levels will take precedence over lower, but this also means that stringing together generators along a line of wire will be impossible. They will need to be attached to batteries or some sort of thing that will the output a set voltage from its storage.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://wbcentral.com
ectrimble20
DEV
DEV

PostSubject: Re: Danice123's Dev. Log   Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:28 pm

I'd suggest capacitors or transformers.

Seems like the logical choice of hardware from my perspective.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator

PostSubject: Re: Danice123's Dev. Log   Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:44 pm

Has anyone looked at Eloraam's RedPower lately? Things are now starting to use this power system call blutricity, and it has some seriously nice stuff. For instance, solar cells (and probably other devices too) can pass power from unit to unit for really simple installation and wiring, and there are battery blocks which can not only charge and discharge directly into the power grid as needed, but also have a dynamic power indicator displayed right on their texture. I normally don't like to imitate other modder's works, but in this case I think she's got us beat idea-wise. /fanboy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV

PostSubject: Re: Danice123's Dev. Log   Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:47 pm

ectrimble20 wrote:
haha Doc. I just about fell out of my chair there.

But yes, I'm quite familiar with Electricity, I took a course on Hybrid Vehicle Technology when I worked for Ford (yes, in my past life I was a mechanic), so I had to understand the differences between standard 12 volt systems and the 120 volt crap they put in hybrids. You know, we had a special tool to knock someone off an electrical line if they touched the 120 volt current (it would contract your muscles making it impossible to release or move), I believe it was a 8 ft long piece of PVC pipe lol.

And you guys said I had no sense of humour. Well, actually,
I wasn't trying to be funny there... I just felt like writing something.

In any case, I did have capacitors down somewhere in the compendium. As for
transformers, well, I'm not too sure that we have to make Futurecraft energy
behave in the same way as electricity normally does. It is a different Universe
after all, it has different possibilities when it comes to the laws of nature.

I think the most interesting part of String Theory is that all possible
Universes do exist, meaning that in another Universe, everything really is made
of cubes. And energy works in the way I want it to.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buggy1997123
DEV
DEV

PostSubject: Re: Danice123's Dev. Log   Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:34 pm

fr0stbyte124 wrote:
Has anyone looked at Eloraam's RedPower lately? Things are now starting to use this power system call blutricity, and it has some seriously nice stuff. For instance, solar cells (and probably other devices too) can pass power from unit to unit for really simple installation and wiring, and there are battery blocks which can not only charge and discharge directly into the power grid as needed, but also have a dynamic power indicator displayed right on their texture. I normally don't like to imitate other modder's works, but in this case I think she's got us beat idea-wise. /fanboy
Most of that is possible with the IC2 system, but it would be unbalanced. I'll give you the texture though, Eloraam is known for her incredibly detailed work.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ectrimble20
DEV
DEV

PostSubject: Re: Danice123's Dev. Log   Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:39 pm

fr0stbyte124 wrote:

Has anyone had the idea that perhaps it might be worth our while to open dialog with Eloraam? See if she'd would be interested in contributing to the power system in FutureCraft?

Only reason I'd suggest this is so that we don't have to try to reinvent the wheel, just adapt it to our need.

However, I'm not the one with the power here to make the call on that, but I think it might be worth discussing especially considering that RedPower is quite possibly the best power mod out there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buggy1997123
DEV
DEV

PostSubject: Re: Danice123's Dev. Log   Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:47 pm

ectrimble20 wrote:
fr0stbyte124 wrote:

Has anyone had the idea that perhaps it might be worth our while to open dialog with Eloraam? See if she'd would be interested in contributing to the power system in FutureCraft?

Only reason I'd suggest this is so that we don't have to try to reinvent the wheel, just adapt it to our need.

However, I'm not the one with the power here to make the call on that, but I think it might be worth discussing especially considering that RedPower is quite possibly the best power mod out there.
Im in chat with her right now, il ask her.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buggy1997123
DEV
DEV

PostSubject: Re: Danice123's Dev. Log   Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:14 pm

Heres the discussion so far:

Might've been unwise to use bitmap images seeing as their pretty big, but oh well.

Last edited by Buggy1997123 on Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV

PostSubject: Re: Danice123's Dev. Log   Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:16 pm

ectrimble20 wrote:

I had a look through the RedPower mod. Certainly worth investigating, go right ahead, Buggy.

I'm inclined to disagree that it is the best power mod out there, as it has limited features in its current state, but is still going to prove useful in our own ventures.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buggy1997123
DEV
DEV

PostSubject: Re: Danice123's Dev. Log   Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:19 pm

Dr. Mackeroth wrote:
ectrimble20 wrote:

I had a look through the RedPower mod. Certainly worth investigating, go right ahead, Buggy.

I'm inclined to disagree that it is the best power mod out there, as it has limited features in its current state, but is still going to prove useful in our own ventures.
Already did, see the giant wall of pictures above. ^^
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ectrimble20
DEV
DEV

PostSubject: Re: Danice123's Dev. Log   Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:22 pm

Have her contact Frost or myself if she would like to discuss the technicalities of what we're doing. Frost would probably be best since he's doing the nitty gritty stuff and I'm just working on server-to-server stuff and wont be working on items until thats at a more progressed phase, but I would be happy to speak to her if Frost isn't available.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ectrimble20
DEV
DEV

PostSubject: Re: Danice123's Dev. Log   Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:24 pm

Dr. Mackeroth wrote:
ectrimble20 wrote:

I agree with you on that part. My basis of thinking it would be a good idea to seek contributors is to take a bit of the programming load off of us.

The less we have to actually program, the faster this process comes along, and we all know that we have a ton of original stuff to program, from ships to blocks, that will take quite a bit of time, anything we don't have to do ourselves, would be a plus in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Danice123's Dev. Log   

Back to top Go down

Danice123's Dev. Log
Page 2 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Futurecraft Forums :: Development :: Development Logs-
Jump to: