Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

How are we preventing balance issues due to item spawning?

Go down 
+10
kennysmith1234
tonyri
Commander Error
Conscript Gary
Buggy1997123
DylanxModZz
GLaDOS
fr0stbyte124
ectrimble20
Apokalypse
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Apokalypse

How are we preventing balance issues due to item spawning? Empty
PostSubject: How are we preventing balance issues due to item spawning?   How are we preventing balance issues due to item spawning? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 08, 2012 8:18 pm

whats going to stop a server owner from deciding one day. "i want my server to be the best" and just spawning 150 dreadnaughts
Back to top Go down
ectrimble20
DEV
DEV
ectrimble20

PostSubject: Re: How are we preventing balance issues due to item spawning?   How are we preventing balance issues due to item spawning? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 08, 2012 8:23 pm

an off button.
Back to top Go down
fr0stbyte124
Super Developrator
Super Developrator
fr0stbyte124

PostSubject: Re: How are we preventing balance issues due to item spawning?   How are we preventing balance issues due to item spawning? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 08, 2012 8:33 pm

Lol.

Long answer, creative and survival servers will be segregated from one another. You can transfer from one to the other, but you can't take your armada with you. Same goes with PvE and PvP, though maybe handled a bit differently. We'll work something out.
Back to top Go down
Apokalypse

PostSubject: Re: How are we preventing balance issues due to item spawning?   How are we preventing balance issues due to item spawning? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 08, 2012 8:40 pm

but even still on EVERY server too many items still exists so im assuming it would be pretty much impossible to combat and will end up being a mutual destruction type thing if everyone has it
Back to top Go down
ectrimble20
DEV
DEV
ectrimble20

PostSubject: Re: How are we preventing balance issues due to item spawning?   How are we preventing balance issues due to item spawning? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 08, 2012 9:00 pm

Just because every server has TMI installed, doesn't mean I can't block it from joining the universe. For 1, I don't think TMI will be compatible with us once we get everything situated, and for 2, I can check loaded mods and will be able to build a "you can't play with us" list for mods that are deemed to be problems, such as TMI.

ModLoader has a nice little feature called LoadedMods that you can monitor to see what mods are loaded besides your own.

Anyway, this is a problem that will be dealt with when I get to that bridge.
Back to top Go down
GLaDOS
Infantry
Infantry
GLaDOS

PostSubject: Re: How are we preventing balance issues due to item spawning?   How are we preventing balance issues due to item spawning? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 9:16 pm

Although It would be extremely hard to build ships on survival anyway. You're building a giant dreadnought, you're real proud about building it, about to place the last block, when a cruiser or two comes and completely destroys it. Many months of hard work and mining wasted. Razz
Back to top Go down
https://futurecraft.forumotion.com
ectrimble20
DEV
DEV
ectrimble20

PostSubject: Re: How are we preventing balance issues due to item spawning?   How are we preventing balance issues due to item spawning? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 9:36 pm

Well let me ask you this. If you knew that there was the possibility that by living in California you might get killed in an earth quake, would you be surprised if you got killed in an earth quake?

Its the same thing, if you're playing a game where there's the possibility that someone else might come along and kill you, don't you think you should take precautions to avoid this?

Ever play Eve Online? I can't tell you how many times out maneuvering and out smarting somebody saved my ass in that game. If you're building a large Cruiser, you should at least have the common sense to build some defenses around your base and possibly attempt to build it in a covered area and even underground. Camouflage has saved countless important things from being destroyed and likewise in this game you'll have to play smart to be victorious. If you're dumb enough to build a massive dreadnought in the middle of a open field, I hope I'm the one who finds it and gets to blast it.
Back to top Go down
DylanxModZz
DylanxModZz

PostSubject: Re: How are we preventing balance issues due to item spawning?   How are we preventing balance issues due to item spawning? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 10:41 pm

ectrimble20 wrote:
Just because every server has TMI installed, doesn't mean I can't block it from joining the universe. For 1, I don't think TMI will be compatible with us once we get everything situated, and for 2, I can check loaded mods and will be able to build a "you can't play with us" list for mods that are deemed to be problems, such as TMI.

ModLoader has a nice little feature called LoadedMods that you can monitor to see what mods are loaded besides your own.

Anyway, this is a problem that will be dealt with when I get to that bridge.
that does make sense but TMI not compatible all together? Why So?
Back to top Go down
http://iamawesome.com
ectrimble20
DEV
DEV
ectrimble20

PostSubject: Re: How are we preventing balance issues due to item spawning?   How are we preventing balance issues due to item spawning? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 10:50 pm

prevent exploits, have you read anything about this mod? It's not a "hey lets build spaceships" mod. It's going to be interconnecting servers and traveling between systems. Exploits are a no and I will detect and block any servers running mod's flagged as exploits from joining the inter-connected community.
Back to top Go down
Buggy1997123
DEV
DEV
Buggy1997123

PostSubject: Re: How are we preventing balance issues due to item spawning?   How are we preventing balance issues due to item spawning? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 6:10 pm

ectrimble20 wrote:
prevent exploits, have you read anything about this mod? It's not a "hey lets build spaceships" mod. It's going to be interconnecting servers and traveling between systems. Exploits are a no and I will detect and block any servers running mod's flagged as exploits from joining the inter-connected community.
Perhaps the mod blocking thing should be styled like a whitelist, instead of a blacklist. Think about it, once this mod is super popular and they see that item spawning mods don't work, people who can mod are going to try to bypass it. They could just come up with micro-mods that just spawn something in a server with a text command, and with proper hiding it won't be easy for us to detect that. Therefor, it would probably just be easier to block anything and EVERYTHING except for specific mods that we want to allow, if any.
Back to top Go down
Conscript Gary

PostSubject: Re: How are we preventing balance issues due to item spawning?   How are we preventing balance issues due to item spawning? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 2:22 am

Yeah. when you're connecting multiple servers you want them to be entirely homogenous in mod usage.
Back to top Go down
Commander Error
Sergeant
Sergeant
Commander Error

PostSubject: Re: How are we preventing balance issues due to item spawning?   How are we preventing balance issues due to item spawning? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 9:58 am

Buggy1997123 wrote:
Perhaps the mod blocking thing should be styled like a whitelist, instead of a blacklist. Think about it, once this mod is super popular and they see that item spawning mods don't work, people who can mod are going to try to bypass it. They could just come up with micro-mods that just spawn something in a server with a text command, and with proper hiding it won't be easy for us to detect that. Therefor, it would probably just be easier to block anything and EVERYTHING except for specific mods that we want to allow, if any.

Agreed. If there's any difference it could (I'm no expert on Java, but) COULD, disrupt the mod and the inter-server travel. I can't calculate it's effects, but I'd expect them to be strong.
Back to top Go down
ectrimble20
DEV
DEV
ectrimble20

PostSubject: Re: How are we preventing balance issues due to item spawning?   How are we preventing balance issues due to item spawning? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 12:28 pm

I'll be quick about this answer, I'm suppose to be working lol.

Basically there's a configuration file that will be associated with the FutureCraft installation.

A server will not be able to connect to our database and pass data without a proper verification code, this will be checked at each update. The server must pass both a vaild server_name (its ID) and verification code in order to actually write an update.

In the event that the server is not validated, I'll be writing a "please submit your information for review" and we'll be able to add them into the universe.

Also, there will be checks for what mod's are running. So anything they install with ModLoader will be detected and I can and probably will enforce a white-list for what Mods are allowed.

For the most part, I think once we get rolling with this, we won't have other mod's being compatible with us simply due to the sheer scale at which we are going to have to modify the minecraft engine, I might be wrong but I will find solutions to any problems with other mods that arise. And anyone caught cheating but these "micro-mods" won't be able to get away with it for long.

Anyway, that wasn't really a quick answer, but it's a general explanation of what I plan to do about server control.
Back to top Go down
Buggy1997123
DEV
DEV
Buggy1997123

PostSubject: Re: How are we preventing balance issues due to item spawning?   How are we preventing balance issues due to item spawning? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 12:37 pm

ectrimble20 wrote:
I'll be quick about this answer, I'm suppose to be working lol.

Basically there's a configuration file that will be associated with the FutureCraft installation.

A server will not be able to connect to our database and pass data without a proper verification code, this will be checked at each update. The server must pass both a vaild server_name (its ID) and verification code in order to actually write an update.

In the event that the server is not validated, I'll be writing a "please submit your information for review" and we'll be able to add them into the universe.

Also, there will be checks for what mod's are running. So anything they install with ModLoader will be detected and I can and probably will enforce a white-list for what Mods are allowed.

For the most part, I think once we get rolling with this, we won't have other mod's being compatible with us simply due to the sheer scale at which we are going to have to modify the minecraft engine, I might be wrong but I will find solutions to any problems with other mods that arise. And anyone caught cheating but these "micro-mods" won't be able to get away with it for long.

Anyway, that wasn't really a quick answer, but it's a general explanation of what I plan to do about server control.
Sounds good, but I'm still kinda worried about micro mods. Wait, unless.... hmmm.... can mcd decompile mod files? If not, we probably don't have to worry.
Back to top Go down
ectrimble20
DEV
DEV
ectrimble20

PostSubject: Re: How are we preventing balance issues due to item spawning?   How are we preventing balance issues due to item spawning? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 4:43 pm

I don't believe so, I'll check into it though, but regardless the odds of someone hacking the mod to be able to take advantage of that and not break something in the monitor are quite small.

Every monitor check that is run will eventually be logged, and from this log I'll be able to tell via an alarm script if someone is passing one monitor but not another, like they're passing the check users and check config, but not passing over a check installed mods. Something like that.

It's not set in stone yet how I do this, but there will be enough controls out there that hacking our monitor without us knowing will not be an easy accomplishment.
Back to top Go down
tonyri
tonyri

PostSubject: Re: How are we preventing balance issues due to item spawning?   How are we preventing balance issues due to item spawning? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 4:52 pm

The way that too many items on servers works is that it just uses the /give command with a gui. Just block /give and tmi stops working.
Back to top Go down
kennysmith1234
kennysmith1234

PostSubject: Re: How are we preventing balance issues due to item spawning?   How are we preventing balance issues due to item spawning? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 12:23 am

tonyri wrote:
The way that too many items on servers works is that it just uses the /give command with a gui. Just block /give and tmi stops working.

Precisely, my dear Watson.
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: How are we preventing balance issues due to item spawning?   How are we preventing balance issues due to item spawning? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 6:03 am

You don't say that. I do.

Precisely, my dear Watson!
Back to top Go down
GLaDOS
Infantry
Infantry
GLaDOS

PostSubject: Re: How are we preventing balance issues due to item spawning?   How are we preventing balance issues due to item spawning? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 1:21 pm

Now you know what it's like to have your saying stolen.
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: How are we preventing balance issues due to item spawning?   How are we preventing balance issues due to item spawning? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 6:29 pm

daman200 wrote:
Now you know what it's like to have your saying stolen.
Difference is, I could just edit or delete the offending post.
Back to top Go down
GLaDOS
Infantry
Infantry
GLaDOS

PostSubject: Re: How are we preventing balance issues due to item spawning?   How are we preventing balance issues due to item spawning? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 9:52 pm

Cheater.
Back to top Go down
ACH0225
General
General
ACH0225

PostSubject: Re: How are we preventing balance issues due to item spawning?   How are we preventing balance issues due to item spawning? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 9:58 pm

daman200 wrote:
Cheater.

Precisely, my dear Watson. That cheating is OVER 9000!!!!!!! DOUBLE KILL!
Back to top Go down
GLaDOS
Infantry
Infantry
GLaDOS

PostSubject: Re: How are we preventing balance issues due to item spawning?   How are we preventing balance issues due to item spawning? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 9:59 pm

Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
ACH0225
General
General
ACH0225

PostSubject: Re: How are we preventing balance issues due to item spawning?   How are we preventing balance issues due to item spawning? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 10:00 pm

Cool
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

PostSubject: Re: How are we preventing balance issues due to item spawning?   How are we preventing balance issues due to item spawning? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 10:42 pm

They don't have a face-palm emoticon! What is this?!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How are we preventing balance issues due to item spawning?   How are we preventing balance issues due to item spawning? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How are we preventing balance issues due to item spawning?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next