Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Ship Rating System

Go down 
+2
ACH0225
The Schmetterling
6 posters
AuthorMessage
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

Ship Rating System Empty
PostSubject: Ship Rating System   Ship Rating System Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 7:14 am

I have noticed that we lack a proper way of rating ships (or other builds, for that matter). That is why I propose we use a simple 3-part scoring system:

Technique: that is the detailing, choice of colour, use of texture packs; essentially everything that I hold dear and World Edit does not.

Form: that is the shape and cohesion of the build. May include some detailing as well.

Function: it ain't pretty, but it's got grit. This includes space efficiency, military power, and your ability to create a realistic interior with generators and power grids and what-not.

Presentation: how you present the build, use of screenshots, environment, and whether or not you stick a giant patriotic flag in the background.

All of these will be given a mark out of 10, preferably with reasons.

For example (I won't use my ship because I don't want to appear arrogant):

Reprisal Class Light Destroyer

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

This ship has received from me a 6/10 for technique, 8/10 for form, 9/10 for functionality, and an 8/10 for presentation.
Back to top Go down
ACH0225
General
General
ACH0225

Ship Rating System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship Rating System   Ship Rating System Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 8:35 am

The Doctor wrote:
I have noticed that we lack a proper way of rating ships (or other builds, for that matter). That is why I propose we use a simple 3-part scoring system:

1 Technique: that is the detailing, choice of colour, use of texture packs; essentially everything that I hold dear and World Edit does not.

2 Form: that is the shape and cohesion of the build. May include some detailing as well.

3 Function: it ain't pretty, but it's got grit. This includes space efficiency, military power, and your ability to create a realistic interior with generators and power grids and what-not.

4 Presentation: how you present the build, use of screenshots, environment, and whether or not you stick a giant patriotic flag in the background.

Fail.
Back to top Go down
Commander Error
Sergeant
Sergeant
Commander Error

Ship Rating System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship Rating System   Ship Rating System Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 12:53 pm

Win.

ACH, go troll someone else, or quit being a dick.
Back to top Go down
Avenger_7
Sergeant
Sergeant
Avenger_7

Ship Rating System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship Rating System   Ship Rating System Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 3:18 pm

Presentation: no one cares.
Everything else will start flame wars. You'll have too many people arguing about form and functionality, and it'll fail spectacularly. How bout just saying rate overall from 1-10 and why?
Back to top Go down
ACH0225
General
General
ACH0225

Ship Rating System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship Rating System   Ship Rating System Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 3:20 pm

I concur.
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

Ship Rating System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship Rating System   Ship Rating System Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 5:53 pm

Fine, I suppose simple is best.

But give it a rating from 1-100. Much more in-depth that way.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Tiel+

Ship Rating System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship Rating System   Ship Rating System Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 5:56 pm

1-10 is simpler, if I may say so.

With 100 you let yourself open to those random 5 and 7%.

I agree with the OP, there should be a set of things to determine the final score, but not those. There should be 5 worth 20 points each so it can add up to an even 100.
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

Ship Rating System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship Rating System   Ship Rating System Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 7:12 pm

Tiel wrote:
1-10 is simpler, if I may say so.

With 100 you let yourself open to those random 5 and 7%.

I agree with the OP, there should be a set of things to determine the final score, but not those. There should be 5 worth 20 points each so it can add up to an even 100.

Okay, hit me with your method.
Back to top Go down
Tiel+
Tiel+

Ship Rating System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship Rating System   Ship Rating System Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 7:13 pm

Yeah, I thought about it, and I really don't think this is necessary. I made a post in Iv's ship thread if you have the time to peek.
Back to top Go down
Laserbilly
Infantry
Infantry
Laserbilly

Ship Rating System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship Rating System   Ship Rating System Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 7:53 pm

I had intended to protest your rating of the Reprisal, but upon further examination, I have to agree with your part of your rating.

It didn't really have the best color scheme, it's a little bit front-heavy, and I could have done a better job presenting it.

However, I disagree with the functionality rating! As it is defined in the OP, I can't see how the Reprisal's interior could possibly be improved. I believe the score in this field should be increased to full marks!

P.S. Tiel, I like your new signature!
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

Ship Rating System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship Rating System   Ship Rating System Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 8:54 pm

Laserbilly wrote:
I had intended to protest your rating of the Reprisal, but upon further examination, I have to agree with your part of your rating.

It didn't really have the best color scheme, it's a little bit front-heavy, and I could have done a better job presenting it.

However, I disagree with the functionality rating! As it is defined in the OP, I can't see how the Reprisal's interior could possibly be improved. I believe the score in this field should be increased to full marks!

P.S. Tiel, I like your new signature!

10/10 means that I am having a seizure because it is so awesome. Your ships are good, but not that good. I think the only build I've seen that could receive 10/10 for functionality is one of those dirt-block houses that have just enough space and waste nothing.

In retrospect, your space inefficiency in the interior might bring functionality down another mark. However, you scored 9/10 due to the fact that you deliberately forwent any detailing on the outside to give it a functional appearance.

Technique was so low because there is no detail, especially outside. I think I should raise that up a mark or so because you do have a fair amount of detail on the inside. The texture pack helped a lot, and I think the colour scheme is fine (if not a bit glum).

You got a good mark for presentation, there are only a few ways you could have done it better. The mini-map especially was quite clever.

Billy, you must realize I'm not a generous marker.

Back to top Go down
Laserbilly
Infantry
Infantry
Laserbilly

Ship Rating System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship Rating System   Ship Rating System Icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2012 9:51 am

I think that works on a 1-100 scale, but on a 1-10 scale "10" covers the whole range of 9.00000001-10.0. I think that while the reprisal might not be "perfect" on the interior, it's at least a 9.5. Which, in a 1-10 scale, should be upgraded to a "10".

I believe that if you want to be so discriminate on how you hand out a perfect score, then you should move it to a higher increment, like 1-25 or 1-50.

Also, in the OP, you say: "simple 3-part scoring system" but then you go on to list four different categories. Sup wit' 'dat?
Back to top Go down
The Schmetterling
DEV
DEV
The Schmetterling

Ship Rating System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship Rating System   Ship Rating System Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 6:07 am

Laserbilly wrote:
I think that works on a 1-100 scale, but on a 1-10 scale "10" covers the whole range of 9.00000001-10.0. I think that while the reprisal might not be "perfect" on the interior, it's at least a 9.5. Which, in a 1-10 scale, should be upgraded to a "10".

I believe that if you want to be so discriminate on how you hand out a perfect score, then you should move it to a higher increment, like 1-25 or 1-50.

Also, in the OP, you say: "simple 3-part scoring system" but then you go on to list four different categories. Sup wit' 'dat?

I think I added one in as an afterthought.

Anyway: your ship is awesome, but not perfect. Let's leave it at that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ship Rating System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship Rating System   Ship Rating System Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ship Rating System
Page 1 of 1