Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

Share | 

Some good programming books.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Tiel+
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st

PostSubject: Some good programming books.   Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:35 am

Now, may not be the right place to ask seeing as most people here that know coding at all are likely solely Java, but I'm looking to learn C++. Problem being there must be at least 50 different books on the subject on Amazon and I'm not too sure which ones to pick. Just wondering if anyone else tried to do this and have any recommendations as far as instructional texts are concerned.

What I'm looking to do is, by the end of reading book or books, is be able to code an engine and well, as stupid as it may seem, create games on it Razz

What I have right now in my cart is:

Beginning C++ Through Game Programming by Michael Dawson; This is for learning the basics and general groundwork of C++

Beginning Game Programming by Johnathan S. Harbour; It looks to be of the same series as the above book and as far as I can tell expands on the code involved in game development.

Game Coding Complete, Third Edition by Micheal McShaffry; This is an indepth guide for game creation, from AI to 3d graphics. It's meant for people with a certain degree of knowledge in C++, which I'm hoping the prior two will do. Some of the topics in here may overlap with Beginning Game Programming, but that should be for the best as it means the rest will be more understandable.

Last but not least,

Advanced 3D Game Programming with DirectX 10.0 by Peter Walsh; Goes through the basics of creating a 3d game in DX10.

Okay, looking back on it I'm really unsure of what I need and what I don't need. I'd reaaaalllllyyy appreciate a second opinion on this, my budget is 50$, though I can go up to 80 if necessary.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iv121
General
General

PostSubject: Re: Some good programming books.   Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:46 am

Well if you want to start using c++ I would take a book like "C++ basics " and not "making games with C++ and Dx10 " ...

I'm not quite aware of the c++ books market I only buy what I'm told to for my studing at school, so I can't rly help .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Some good programming books.   Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:53 am

Iv121 wrote:
Well if you want to start using c++ I would take a book like "C++ basics " and not "making games with C++ and Dx10 ...

Don't know if you looked but one of the books is Beginning C++ Through Game Programming, which I specifically described as a book teaching C++ on the premise of games to make it easier to understand. Instead of, say, a database application it teaches you to make basic things like Tic-tac-toe or Pinball, more-game oriented code.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iv121
General
General

PostSubject: Re: Some good programming books.   Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:03 am

Pinball includes some sort of physics so it is more complicated ...

I believe you will get stuff much more basic first. I would begin with a maze which will teach you graphics and simple work with player input, then some basic AI to teach you how to work with ifs and switches ...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Some good programming books.   Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:51 am

That tutorial has that. The Pinball is a final project.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Keon

PostSubject: Re: Some good programming books.   Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:51 am

If you want a book, I can't help you there. But really, C++ is not a good starting language. If you do want to start with it, you could either get a book or look online. But most of the books you can find the same info online.

You know, I was thinking we should have a 3D crafting grid for complex recipes, but Kielaran is right: why have three dimensions when you can have six? Truly I don't know how we ever got by with a measly two.

Mackeroth? wrote:
Now, if Fr0stbyte wrote that, someone would make a sig, guaranteed. So what are you going to do now?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hyperlite
Captain
Captain

PostSubject: Re: Some good programming books.   Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:02 am

50 shades of programming is good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Caramell
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Some good programming books.   Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:19 am

hyperlite wrote:
50 shades of programming is good.
NO! No 50 shades of anything!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Some good programming books.   Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:23 pm

Keon wrote:
But really, C++ is not a good starting language.

Then please tell me what is? I want to stay away from Java for the most part, from what I've heard and experienced it isn't the best for games.

Keon wrote:
But most of the books you can find the same info online.

I suppose I should elaborate. School is coming up soon and mother dear wants to get me out of the 'game until 3 AM' mindset, so probably going to see some limits imposed on my computer time for my own good. We have around 3 weeks before it does, though, and I figure learning a language on my first steps to making my RTS (I was going to just buy Torque, but now I see creating my own engine would be for the best) would require only logging on a few times a day, the rest would be hitting the books.

And to be frank, I've tried learning things online before. Oftentimes the tutorials are cluttered or otherwise have some glaring flaws which make it very annoying to try to cram the knowledge in. I like written tutorials the most, and seeing as these people get paid to do their best, well...it'll be a lot easier and more convenient.

I'm kinda confused here, though, what are the necessary requirements of making a game engine?

I'm assuming one needs to know C++ to work with DirectX, but once I figure that out when does the Engine come into play? How does one go about doing that, really? Is an engine just defined as a bunch of code you throw together as a template for yet more programming?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Some good programming books.   Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:27 pm

Lol, this. 100$ for a 5 year old book that's only 500 pages long. Extortion, I tell you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iv121
General
General

PostSubject: Re: Some good programming books.   Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:33 pm

Hey it's not like C++ changed in the last 5 years ...

If you want to make an RTS you will need a team and a big one. You know why indie developers stick to platformers and similar ?

Also the second you get object oriented programming you can easily learn any modern programming language. C++ is a bit more complicated to start with. Many start with Java or C# (They are quite similar) . Personally I study C# at school. I'm done with all my C# exams so this year I'm going to make a massive project (Well relatively speaking) and then defend it against external testers ... Just imagine whole year doing whatever I want in class Smile . Last time I made a project it was battleships with Assembly, can't wait to see what dumb idea I will pick this time Razz .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Some good programming books.   Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:56 pm

Iv121 wrote:

If you want to make an RTS you will need a team and a big one.

Why?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iv121
General
General

PostSubject: Re: Some good programming books.   Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:16 pm

Because it's a lot of work. It is one of the more complicated genres to make.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Some good programming books.   Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:25 pm

I'm kinda happy with my setup right now:

I can just read Beginning Programming with Java for Dummies to get a handle on that language and move on to the MCP to start experimenting with Minecraft as a side project.

Beginning C++ Through Game Programming is basically a beginner's guide to C++ with creating basic games as examples instead of boring applications. From there I move on to Beginning Game Programming which will then hone the knowledge I got from the first book into more conventional game applications. After that, Game Coding Complete: Edition 3 will polish it all and enable me to create a solid development environment and know what I'm doing. Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 10 then will expand on the DX side of things. From there, I should be all set.

Also have some DirectX 6 2D RTS guide, lol!. I'm quite content with my little lesson plan right now, I suppose the real question is whether anyone sees any problems with it right now. If not, I'll just go ahead and order the books.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Keon

PostSubject: Re: Some good programming books.   Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:13 pm

So just saying, RTSes are hard. Not harder than anything else, but still, a complete one will take a while. As for Java, I would say it is a good language for gaming. Why would you say not?

Anyways, go ahead and order, I guess.

You know, I was thinking we should have a 3D crafting grid for complex recipes, but Kielaran is right: why have three dimensions when you can have six? Truly I don't know how we ever got by with a measly two.

Mackeroth? wrote:
Now, if Fr0stbyte wrote that, someone would make a sig, guaranteed. So what are you going to do now?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hyperlite
Captain
Captain

PostSubject: Re: Some good programming books.   Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:40 pm

Any one person making an entire game by themselves is crazy. You would have to first learn the code, expand on that, then write it, and make models, and textures, and animate movement, don't forget about some kind of campaign or story line. Anyway, this is why games cost so much money now.

Unless you are going to make a simpler game, 2d or something.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Some good programming books.   Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:53 pm

The books are for the code. I have models, or most of them, the rest I can make myself, and I know how to animate in 3DS Max. I'm not too sure why everyone's saying RTS's are so terrifyingly hard to make..

I mean, really, all I have to worry about for this RTS project is textures and bumpmapping, but that can be learned. Anyhow, that'll probably just be the endgoal of all this reading and trial & error, will likely experiment with making different, simpler games before that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Some good programming books.   Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:55 pm

The only thing teams bring into the picture are people I can't depend on and'll threaten to quit on the drop of a dime. Not having any of that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hyperlite
Captain
Captain

PostSubject: Re: Some good programming books.   Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:57 pm

You never like entrusting anyone other than yourself with anything, a problem in the real world.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Some good programming books.   Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:59 pm

I've trusted people with a lot of things and it's never worked out. I'm a lazy arse myself, I can understand, and that's the problem. Being able to relate to someone makes it hard to berate them, never mind figure out some way to spurn them into doing something through the wall of anonymity that is the internet.

So no, not happening this time around.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hyperlite
Captain
Captain

PostSubject: Re: Some good programming books.   Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:01 pm

Are you a hermit or something?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Some good programming books.   Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:02 pm

...?

What?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iv121
General
General

PostSubject: Re: Some good programming books.   Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:52 am

You won't be able to do it alone. I'm making a simple questline mod for Skyrim and can't deal without a team. Even the simpler stuff like building dungeons is handled by 3 people. I have additionally 2 concept artists, 3 modellers, a cast of voice actors who are ready to helps us when we bring the project to final stages, and this is considered a small team.

Eventually it seems like I shut down the project as most of those people recently went silent. Only the core modders remain with me. I will release what we have mostly finished (the city of winterhold) and store the rest until we get some favourable conditions...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Keon

PostSubject: Re: Some good programming books.   Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:34 am

Tiel wrote:
I've trusted people with a lot of things and it's never worked out. I'm a lazy arse myself, I can understand, and that's the problem. Being able to relate to someone makes it hard to berate them, never mind figure out some way to spurn them into doing something through the wall of anonymity that is the internet.

So no, not happening this time around.

Depends: Is your game 2d or 3d?

Mackeroth? wrote:
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tiel+

PostSubject: Re: Some good programming books.   Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:47 am

3d. But as I said, I have most of the assets. All that's left is texturing, when I get to the point where I can actually feasibly take on this project.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Some good programming books.   

Back to top Go down

Some good programming books.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next