Futurecraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Futurecraft Forums

A forum dedicated to communication and innovation!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome, one and all, to the Futurecraft Forums!

PD & Flak Systems

Go down 
+2
Iv121
Commander Error
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Commander Error
Sergeant
Sergeant
Commander Error

PD & Flak Systems Empty
PostSubject: PD & Flak Systems   PD & Flak Systems Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 1:18 pm

1) Point Defense

A system that has an 80% chance of killing any incoming missile, and a 20% chance of killing a fighter (20%/minute).

2) Flak

A system that fires a series of rounds that explode a set distance from the ship. Deadly to fighters, not so much to missiles.

3) Ships can only mount 1 of the 2.
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PD & Flak Systems Empty
PostSubject: Re: PD & Flak Systems   PD & Flak Systems Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 2:09 pm

You should actually rethink your flak system. It should be just like any other cannon , it shouldn't be calculated as it gives a feeling of unfair game (you should be able to avoid it depending on your skill) .

Also the flak cannons are especially effective against torpedoes. They are small so they are not easy to hit, but if your round explode all around it this should be enough to take it out.

As always I refer to my favourite space combat sim for this: A pilot's worst nightmare there is the AAA beam cannon. While Shooting fast enough to hit fighters this beam cannon also carries sufficient strength to seriously damage the opponent. Just like the anti Cap-Ship beam cannons, the AAA cannon shoots a concentrated photon beam that cuts through the fighter. It shoots in bursts of 3 fast beams that almost instantly hit the foe . The beam is accurate at big distances, travels fast enough to hit the target, hit it hard. It's only disadvantage is the big Power usage and recharge rates.

Another AA system if a flak gun similar to yours. Although not as efficient as the AAA beam , the flak cannon can cause severe damage over time. The inaccurate explosions do not allow the weapon to shoot far but effectively suppress foes at close range. When the Flak gun's explosions light the space around and shake your fighter aiming becomes very hard. The flak explosions around the fighter wear off the shields effectively and damage the ship over time. The cannon makes a pilot's life difficult around it, sometimes forcing him away from the ship. The cannon is also effective against torpedoes.

It's taken from a Freespace mod for another game but illustrates the flack system well. Go forward to 0:54.

Last edited by Iv121 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Commander Error
Sergeant
Sergeant
Commander Error

PD & Flak Systems Empty
PostSubject: Re: PD & Flak Systems   PD & Flak Systems Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 2:44 pm

When I say deadly, I mean that you need to get past a wall of HE to get at the ship.
Back to top Go down
ACH0225
General
General
ACH0225

PD & Flak Systems Empty
PostSubject: Re: PD & Flak Systems   PD & Flak Systems Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 5:11 pm

PD is OK, could be better, same with flak,
But the thing with one per ship is the greatest load of A class BS idiocracy. Are you some new brand of stupid? Of course a ship can have both flak and PD! Idiot! Incompetent idiot!
Back to top Go down
Iv121
General
General
Iv121

PD & Flak Systems Empty
PostSubject: Re: PD & Flak Systems   PD & Flak Systems Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 5:14 pm

Wow wow calm down no need to go high tones and stuff ...

EDIT: 1000th POST !

Last edited by Iv121 on Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ACH0225
General
General
ACH0225

PD & Flak Systems Empty
PostSubject: Re: PD & Flak Systems   PD & Flak Systems Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 5:16 pm

-Breathes fire whilst swearing in owl.
Back to top Go down
Keon
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Lord/Lady Rear Admiral 1st
Keon

PD & Flak Systems Empty
PostSubject: Re: PD & Flak Systems   PD & Flak Systems Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 6:20 pm

Ooh, what are some owl cursewords?
Back to top Go down
ACH0225
General
General
ACH0225

PD & Flak Systems Empty
PostSubject: Re: PD & Flak Systems   PD & Flak Systems Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2012 2:51 am

I am not allowed to say any on the forum, see Executor's sig.
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PD & Flak Systems Empty
PostSubject: Re: PD & Flak Systems   PD & Flak Systems Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2012 9:25 am

ACH0225 wrote:
I am not allowed to say any on the forum, see Executor's sig.
I appreciate the consideration, but I will point out that said sig also includes Mando'a cursing.
Back to top Go down
Commander Error
Sergeant
Sergeant
Commander Error

PD & Flak Systems Empty
PostSubject: Re: PD & Flak Systems   PD & Flak Systems Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2012 10:45 am

""But the thing with one per ship is the greatest load of A class BS idiocracy. Are you some new brand of stupid? Of course a ship can have both flak and PD! Idiot! Incompetent idiot!""

So, what, you load out your ship with both and I just don't launch fighters and instead laser you into submission.

It's to balance the game, otherwise we'll just have a bunch of frigate-sized dreadnought-level ships roaming around.
Back to top Go down
ACH0225
General
General
ACH0225

PD & Flak Systems Empty
PostSubject: Re: PD & Flak Systems   PD & Flak Systems Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2012 11:10 am

I don't think you grasp weapon hard points. For example, a ship could have 5 flak cannons, 5 PD lasers, and 10 regular cannons. Then, it's balanced. In your plan, they would have 10 PD lasers and 10 regular cannons. That would be verily unbalanced, as double groups of carrier and torpedo ships, preying on lone ships with one type.
Back to top Go down
Commander Error
Sergeant
Sergeant
Commander Error

PD & Flak Systems Empty
PostSubject: Re: PD & Flak Systems   PD & Flak Systems Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2012 11:14 am

Sorry, I didn't actually put this in the OP:

1/10th of the weapons slots on a ship can be taken up by PD/Flak.
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PD & Flak Systems Empty
PostSubject: Re: PD & Flak Systems   PD & Flak Systems Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2012 11:39 am

Commander Error wrote:

Why? What if I want to deploy specialized anti-fighter frigates to protect my carriers during launch? We should be able to put whatever weapons we want on our ships. I could have a frigate with 20 flak cannons, or one with 10 light turbolasers, or one with 5 heavy turbolasers, or one with one massive anti-cap laser.
Back to top Go down
Commander Error
Sergeant
Sergeant
Commander Error

PD & Flak Systems Empty
PostSubject: Re: PD & Flak Systems   PD & Flak Systems Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2012 11:51 am

Executor Nom Anor wrote:
Commander Error wrote:

Why? What if I want to deploy specialized anti-fighter frigates to protect my carriers during launch? We should be able to put whatever weapons we want on our ships. I could have a frigate with 20 flak cannons, or one with 10 light turbolasers, or one with 5 heavy turbolasers, or one with one massive anti-cap laser.

Just add your Flak / PD and then throw on some prox. fused guns? Or a bunch of small lasers?

(Remember I use projectile guns, not lasers)
Back to top Go down
hyperlite
Captain
Captain
hyperlite

PD & Flak Systems Empty
PostSubject: Re: PD & Flak Systems   PD & Flak Systems Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2012 11:58 am

I already had a topic about multiple shell types for weapons like flak etc.
Back to top Go down
Last_Jedi_Standing
Last_Jedi_Standing

PD & Flak Systems Empty
PostSubject: Re: PD & Flak Systems   PD & Flak Systems Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2012 3:29 pm

Commander Error wrote:
Executor Nom Anor wrote:
Commander Error wrote:

Just add your Flak / PD and then throw on some prox. fused guns? Or a bunch of small lasers?

(Remember I use projectile guns, not lasers)
What I'm saying is that there's absolutely no reason whatsoever to limit people like that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PD & Flak Systems Empty
PostSubject: Re: PD & Flak Systems   PD & Flak Systems Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

PD & Flak Systems
Page 1 of 1